Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

I don't know how you guys get through so much stuff. I find it very difficult to watch two movies in any one day, even if it's a day when I'm not doing much else.

I am legend -- good movie , the main story is a bit old , and i don't understand why the virus gives supernatural powers to those feckers but overall its worth watching

7/10

Witness for the Prosecution - Phew, what a climax! I'm glad I hadn't read the short story before I saw the movie. Another masterpiece by Billy Wilder. Double Indemnity, Some Like It hot, The Apartment, Sunset Blvd, I think I might have a new favorite director.

Witness for the Prosecution - Phew, what a climax! I'm glad I hadn't read the short story before I saw the movie. Another masterpiece by Billy Wilder. Double Indemnity, Some Like It hot, The Apartment, Sunset Blvd, I think I might have a new favorite director.
I also recommend One, Two, Three. Another great movie directed by Billy Wilder. Also the Seven Year Itch. Marilyn Monroe at her most iconic probably.

I've added another 4-5 Billy WIlder movies to my Blockbuster list already including the ones you mentioned. Stalag 17, ace in the hole, lost weekend, love in the afternoon...

Anyone seen Body of Lies yet? Can't decide if I should go for that or Nights and Weekends today.

Ace in the Hole's very good and all. He's made some brilliant films.

One of the best directors, ever. Surely?

No argument there, Spoons.

My students will be watching Double Indemnity in the next few months, comparing it with The Last Seduction. I'm looking forward to teaching both of them, even if the students hate it!

Pretty much....I still haven't seen The Apartment, but every other film I've seen of his has been brilliant.

Elergy Great perfomanes from Cruz and Kingsley but in the end the whole seems to take itsef a bit to seriously and comes across as trying a bit too hard. Still well worth a watch. 7/10

The Strangers

Odd. Decent in parts but just a bit of a one trick pony that falls into the same traps that so many horrors do, despite trying desperately hard to be different. Suspenseful at times, other times you just want to kill the main characters yourself.

6/10.

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - A very young James Stewart stands alone against a bunch of corrupt senators in this 1939 classic. 8/10

Son of Rambow - 6/10

Seemed like an alright flick, but couldn't really get into it. I ended up watching the latter half of the film whilst surfing the internet.

I thought in Bruges sucked. Slow developing, midgets and coke just did not got me laughing. Stoped at half. What was the spurs joke?

Bad Boy Bubby

Incredibly unpredictable (one being that the director isn't Austrian) in every aspect. de Heer did an excellent job with his claustrophobic first half and with the character Bubby. Made me feel happy and disgusted at the same time. But the ending got a little bit to sudden and anti-climaxy for me.
Good buy, good movie. 7/10

And for de Heers sake, go see "Ten Canoes" if you haven't.

Just seen a documentary advertised about Roman Polanski....really makes me want to watch the brilliant Chinatown all over again.

Bad Boy Bubby

Incredibly unpredictable (one being that the director isn't Austrian) in every aspect. de Heer did an excellent job with his claustrophobic first half and with the character Bubby. Made me feel happy and disgusted at the same time. But the ending got a little bit to sudden and anti-climaxy for me.
Good buy, good movie. 7/10

And for de Heers sake, go see "Ten Canoes" if you haven't.

Austrian?

The director is a AUSTRALIAN director who was born in Holland and moved down under when he was 8.

Austrian?

The director is a AUSTRALIAN director who was born in Holland and moved down under when he was 8.

Let me dumb it down for ye, I'm saying that I'm surprised de Heer IS NOT Austrian, seeing it reminded me of the Fritzl/Priklopil -cases.

Just finished watching Glen or Glenda. Really impressed. Yes it's a little rough around the edges but at least it has imagination and heart. Which is more than you can say about many films today.

Really reminds me of Eraserhead in places.

Let me dumb it down for ye, I'm saying that I'm surprised de Heer IS NOT Austrian, seeing it reminded me of the Fritzl/Priklopil -cases.

Why would someone born in Holland, raised in Australia, an Australian citizen and a director of Australian films be Austrian? The cases you speak about were discovered in 2006 and 2008 so why would they have inspired a 1993 Australian film?

It is a bit like being surprised that Steven Spielberg isn't Israeli.

American Psycho

Ignorantly I thought this movie was just a re-make of the old classic Psycho. I was obviously wrong.

In short - I thought this movie was great, even if it was edited to hell (to recieve the R rating). Bale was fantastic throughout too.

As for the ending, I have a few queries *SPOILER ALERT* highlight below:

I'm assuming the ending meant that Bale wasn't in fact a killer, and he lived out his fantasies through pictures in his book? OR was the lawyer just 'covering' for him when he said he had lunch with Allan, in London, twice? I'm thinking it's the first theory.