Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Amazing story. Really cool to know they used they actual guy house. detail about the using the guy real house for the film.

One of my favourite parts was how the film shows the competing interests. Especially for us non American we mostly get media showing everyone in the south to be ultra conservative/pro business.

Must have been pretty incredible for your Auntie to attend the awards. Still crazy to me that Micheal Mann has never won an Oscar.

What did you think of the film ?

His life sounds like it make for interesting film.

Thanks. I went in expecting to like it because it’s Mann movie but it exceed all my expectations. The tension when Crowe finds the bullet in the mailbox was something else.
Loved the film, I have scored it a 9.5 & 10 in the past to my friends & beseeched them to see it. Never received anything but heartfelt thanks from them after they viewed it.

Little 'what' leads to big 'what'.

:lol:

I really need to watch this show. Bill Harder talk about movies is great -

Loved the film, I have scored it a 9.5 & 10 in the past to my friends & beseeched them to see it. Never received anything but heartfelt thanks from them after they viewed it.
Thanks. Yep it’s definitely one I will be recommending to people in the future.

I really need to watch this show. Bill Harder talk about movies is great -

Thanks. Yep it’s definitely one I will be recommending to people in the future.

Totally forgot one of the most important aspects of the film to me! Any film that has Massive Attack on the soundtrack gets bumped up the ranking (like 'Sliver' who used 'Unfinished Symphony') - dropping 'Safe from Harm' would have been fine with me, but using the Perfecto remix makes the movie so much better. It's the track played during the beach scene you referenced a few posts back as being so good.

Totally forgot one of the most important aspects of the film to me! Any film that has Massive Attack on the soundtrack gets bumped up the ranking (like 'Sliver' who used 'Unfinished Symphony') - dropping 'Safe from Harm' would have been fine with me, but using the Perfecto remix makes the movie so much better. It's the track played during the beach scene you referenced a few posts back as being so good.
It took me a while to really get into 90’s and early 2000’s Mann music taste(Always loved the Tangerine Dream soundtrack to Thief) but when it clicked it was perfect.

There’s something very slick about his music choices. It’s not mainstream enough to be uncool but also it’s not so obscure to be nerdy. On paper a man with a giant mullet listening to Moby while taking a beautiful woman to Cuba via a speedboat sounds comical but somehow it’s the coolest ever!

It took me a while to really get into 90’s and early 2000’s Mann music taste(Always loved the Tangerine Dream soundtrack to Thief) but when it clicked it was perfect.

There’s something very slick about his music choices. It’s not mainstream enough to be uncool but also it’s not so obscure to be nerdy. On paper a man with a giant mullet listening to Moby while taking a beautiful woman to Cuba via a speedboat sounds comical but somehow it’s the coolest ever!
Never noticed that was a Moby track! Deserves an immediate rewatch.

Twisters

Perfect throwback summer blockbuster. Top Gun Maverick got a lot of hype but I actually enjoyed this way more.

Loved the tone (played relatively straight with no Marvel humour but plenty of wit, some mildly emotional moments that felt earned, the unabashed Americana of it all). Two hot leads being relentlessly charming. Way more interesting cinematography than it had any right to have and some genuinely exciting action pieces.

Wasn't even a fan of the original, but this was surprisingly great. 90s movie with modern CGI (not overused at all).

8/10

Last edited:
Sliver also used an Enigma track, right?

Twisters

Perfect throwback summer blockbuster. Top Gun Maverick got a lot of hype but I actually enjoyed this way more.

Loved the tone (played relatively straight with no Marvel humour but plenty of wit, some mildly emotional moments that felt earned, the unabashed Americana of it all). Two hot leads being relentlessly charming. Way more interesting cinematography than it had any right to have and some genuinely exciting action pieces.

Wasn't even a fan of the original, but this was surprisingly great. 90s movie with modern CGI (not overused at all).

8/10
It certainly is a good flick.

It certainly is a good flick.

I wasn't expecting much so I just watched at home. I've since heard it's even better in 4DX (still never seen one)

GQ's Review said:
On screen, Daisy Edgar-Jones' Kate and her valiant storm-chasing colleagues were thrown around like rag dolls, their pickup truck thrown to the side like a Tonka toy.

And my seat began to move. There's an understatement: my seat began to violently shake and convulse, like a space shuttle on re-entry. As I grunted and my jowls rippled, like Homer Simpson before me, I morphed into Richard Nixon. I craved a lap bar with every bump and jolt that sent me careening into the upper atmosphere. Thank god I hadn't actually bought that Tango Ice.

It's by far the most intense 4DX show I've ever experienced. It's also one of the most technically impressive. The effects are brilliantly calibrated to each scene, be it in one of the aforementioned toupée-snatching tornado sequences or the many emotionally-driven quieter moments. When the seat gently tilts and sways with the movement of a drone shot that glides with the Oklahoma breeze, for example.

@Sweet Square I forgot to mention that the scene you talk about on the beach, when Pacino walks into the water, is mesmerising to me. I often watch it 2-3 times when I'm on my Insider rewatch.
That scene is up there with Mann best work. The moment where Pacino says - “Jeffrey, where are you going with this? Where are you going? You are important to a lot of people, Jeffrey. You think about that, and you think about them” is such a gut punch. During the build up it’s pretty clear Jeffery is at least thinking about suicide but only when Pacino says it in the open does it become real.

Plus the final is shot. Just incredible
GUlwfz-WkAAsOij

Never noticed that was a Moby track! Deserves an immediate rewatch.
It’s for sure worth a rewatch. It’s still a somewhat unpopular opinion but for me Miami Vice is Mann magnum opus.

For all of its potentially alienating features there
is such a vibe throughout that makes it so unique. It still feels like a movie from the future.

That scene is up there with Mann best work. The moment where Pacino says - “Jeffrey, where are you going with this? Where are you going? You are important to a lot of people, Jeffrey. You think about that, and you think about them” is such a gut punch. During the build up it’s pretty clear Jeffery is at least thinking about suicide but only when Pacino says it in the open does it become real.

GUlwfz-WkAAsOij

It’s for sure worth a rewatch. It’s still a somewhat unpopular opinion but for me Miami Vice is Mann magnum opus.

is such a vibe throughout that makes it so unique. It still feels like a movie from the future.

GUlwfz-WkAAsOij

It’s The Insider for me, although I also liked Thief, Heat, and Manhunter too. He’s made some really bad movies too, with Collateral, Black Hat, Public Enemies, being especially egregious, usually because of the script and not the directing, though. Those three were silly, as was Mohicans, despite DDL’s performance.

Last edited:
We just finished ours!

Alien is pretty much perfect. The atmosphere, the slow build until the first chest burst, the omnipresent menace of the xenomorph, the use of the space on the ship, the final showdown between the alien and Ripley... It's all quite wonderful and suspenseful from start to finish.

I'm actually not a massive fan of Aliens which is a little bit too much 80s Reagan cliché action, with particularly one unsufferable character, but in terms of action films, it's very good. I just don't think action is the best mix with Alien, but I know it's a few people's favourite.

I have a lot of fondness for Alien 3 in its "assembly cut" version - it's imperfect, sure, but I love the vibe of the film and while it's quite clear from the edit it's a film that suffered from production issues, it's closer to the atmosphere I enjoy. The cast is quite good in it and it has a grittiness I love.

I didn't enjoy Alien Resurrection at all. I've always found JP Jeunet to be overrated, and beyond the amazement of seeing Dominique Pinon in a sci-fi action film, it really doesn't offer much. I also find the aliens in this one a lot less menacing than in the other films, and the characters are cliché cardboard cut-outs. The whole premise is a bit stupid and it never really kicks into full gear.

So, then comes Prometheus, or its unofficial title "stupid people doing stupid things". In general I'm not one to nitpick too much about script realism, and I'm a big believer in suspension of disbelief, but this one really goes beyond any acceptable tolerance in that regard. It starts off nicely, the film looks great, and while early on you realise the characters aren't going to be deep and interesting, there was still a way to achieve what the film set out to do without the levels of idiocy displayed onscreen. It's an aesthetically pleasing object, with very little beneath the surface.

We finished the binge with Alien Covenant which I stomehow am not sure whether I'd seen it before. I felt it was somewhat better than Prometheus, but it suffered the same issue of having characters ignoring the most basic common sense. The whole sequence when they're back at the place David set up camp is particularly stupid. Oh, and Danny McBride is pretty bad in it, unsurprisingly.

Overall, characters seem to have gotten more and more stupid with passing films, and some of the writing basics such as finding a way to have things happen somewhat organically, or the usage of space (in the last 3 films, you don't really understand where things or people are, it's messy), are completely disregarded. Real shame.
I loved 1 and 2 although very different movies. I didn't like 3 at all. Resurrection was very slightly better and everything else since has been good looking cinematography with dumb people doing dumb shit for unfathomable reasons.

I strongly recommend the assembly cut of Alien 3, it's a much better version of the film - and so much better than Resurrection. Don't understand the appeal of the latter at all, it's a soulless, ugly empty film.

GUlwfz-WkAAsOij
:drool:

Definitely agree.

Somewhere @Rado_N is having a nosebleed.
It’s The Insider for me, although I also liked Thief, Heat, and Manhunter too. He’s made some really bad movies too, with Collateral, Black Hat, Public Enemies, being especially egregious, usually because of the script and not the directing, though. Those three were silly, as was Mohicans, despite DDL’s performance.
I don't think any of those films you list as "very bad" are bad at all. They all have the usual Mann aesthetic and themes running through them, some in a less accomplished way.

I did realise, checking his filmography to see if there was one of his films I didn't like (there's not), that there's one of his films I haven't seen! The Keep, his second film, from 1983. Have you seen it @Sweet Square? You're the only one I trust here

The Empty Man

On the trail of a missing girl, an ex-cop comes across a secretive group attempting to summon a terrifying supernatural entity.
Started off well, but for me did not carry on well and the ending was just plain strange.

4/10
The Empty Man
On the trail of a missing girl, an ex-cop comes across a secretive group attempting to summon a terrifying supernatural entity. Brilliantly shot, really enjoyed the mystery behind the story and generally had a good time.The plot goes a bit daft in the final act but the journey was filled with suspense and mystery so I forgave that. My biggest issue was the run time. 2 hours and 15 minutes! The opening, despite being bad ass, was 20 minutes long! I read that the director wanted to shorten it but the studio told him to shut the feck up and just released it. Shame as it ruins the experience somewhat. Also, surprised this is on Disney+ 7/10
Knew I could count on you two to have seen this. Weird film, there's a lot to like about it, but it's way too long and, despite the self indulgent runtime, manages to put together a poor, half arsed attempt at a conclusion that really disappoints. It's not awful, there's a lot to like about it throughout, but the 3rd act is a proper mess.

Knew I could count on you two to have seen this. Weird film, there's a lot to like about it, but it's way too long and, despite the self indulgent runtime, manages to put together a poor, half arsed attempt at a conclusion that really disappoints. It's not awful, there's a lot to like about it throughout, but the 3rd act is a proper mess.
Yeah I think i was too lenient on it. It had the potential to be really good but feels like studio interference fecked it up. Streaming services want everything to be as long as possible, the opposite of theatrical, which must be strange.

Thanks I’ve never seen this video. The fake sting operation is such a insane thing to do.

Public Enemies has really grown on me. I can why people aren’t into it as it might look like Mann painting by numbers. Imo there’s one big difference which is most Micheal Mann characters are looking to gain more time(Money = time)Public Enemies is about how John Dillinger(Johnny Depp)creates the conditions which make it impossible for him to gain time.
We see this with the formation of the FBI, more powers given to the government, the technology advancements in surveillance, economic powers that can be forced onto gangs/criminal enterprises and individuals, etc.

The later stages of the film are very melancholic especially on a rewatch as we are seeing a character who has accepted their faith. But there’s no nostalgia for the past instead it’s Mann showing us the economic process of capital.

Also I would disagree on the script issues as what happens in the film did pretty much happen in real life. John Dillinger did watch a film based on his own life before getting killed. The cabin shootout scene took place in the real cabin and in some scenes Deep is wearing John Dillinger clothes.

Collateral - Tbh I’m not a big script guy. I’m very much watching for the vibes which are LA nightlife, Korean nightclubs and Mr Cruise with grey hair. But Collateral script seem pretty perfect -

Have you seen it @Sweet Square? You're the only one I trust here
Sadly I still haven’t seen it although tbh the film does look terrible. I’m probably somewhat subconsciously avoiding it.
Oh you know what hasn’t been discussed enough in the movie thread? Michael Mann and Miami fecking Vice

I quite liked the Keep. It doesn't work ultimately but it looks cool and is creepy and weird and pretty unique. Had no idea it was a Michael Mann film, never would have guessed

I quite liked the Keep. It doesn't work ultimately but it looks cool and is creepy and weird and pretty unique. Had no idea it was a Michael Mann film, never would have guessed
The original cut was 210 minutes. They butchered it to 96. Can’t believe they still haven’t released his cut, especially with films like Killers of the Flower Moon showing people will watch long movies.

Last edited:
Thanks I’ve never seen this video. The fake sting operation is such a insane thing to do.

Public Enemies has really grown on me. I can why people aren’t into it as it might look like Mann painting by numbers. Imo there’s one big difference which is most Micheal Mann characters are looking to gain more time(Money = time)Public Enemies is about how John Dillinger(Johnny Depp)creates the conditions which make it impossible for him to gain time.
We see this with the formation of the FBI, more powers given to the government, the technology advancements in surveillance, economic powers that can be forced onto gangs/criminal enterprises and individuals, etc.

The later stages of the film are very melancholic especially on a rewatch as we are seeing a character who has accepted their faith. But there’s no nostalgia for the past instead it’s Mann showing us the economic process of capital.

Also I would disagree on the script issues as what happens in the film did pretty much happen in real life. John Dillinger did watch a film based on his own life before getting killed. The cabin shootout scene took place in the real cabin and in some scenes Deep is wearing John Dillinger clothes.

Collateral - Tbh I’m not a big script guy. I’m very much watching for the vibes which are LA nightlife, Korean nightclubs and Mr Cruise with grey hair. But Collateral script seem pretty perfect -

Sadly I still haven’t seen it although tbh the film does look terrible. I’m probably somewhat subconsciously avoiding it.

It was all the Jamie Foxxx stuff that was problematic, not really Cruise as a silver fox.

Last edited:
I'm intrigued. Tempted to watch it although what I'm reading doesn't fill me with confidence.

I'm intrigued. Tempted to watch it although what I'm reading doesn't fill me with confidence.
Theres a storyline about a chosen one / type guy travelling around which is rubbish but everything around the keep is quite cool. The setting is great. Its not a good movie but theres interesting stuff in there.
The original cut was a 210 minutes. They butchered it to 96. Can’t believe they still haven’t released his cut, especially with films like Killers of the Flower Moon showing people will watch long movies.
I'm not convinced more time would improve it. Theres a chunk of the film i'd probably bin. The end was quite rushed, more time there would probably help.

Just finished Hoosiers for the first time in years, left the championship game for this AM. I am bawling right now, what a movie. Easily in the argument for the best sports movie ever. 9.5 / 10

It’s truly god awful here.

Regular theatre. There’s a giant imax cinema in London which would take me about an hour to reach but its cheaper(cost £20).
Not to rub it in, but I definitely feel lucky with cinema costs here:
- I have a neighbourhood cinema which is absolutely fine that has basically all the films I want to see, and for which the cost is 5€ on Mondays and Tuesdays. 12 rooms and loads of screenings
- I paid 12€ in a bigger, nicer theatre tomorrow for the Romulus premiere (it comes out on Friday in Spain otherwise)
- when I feel like it, depending on the film, etc. there's a VIP cinema 5mn walk from here where each screening room has amazing sound, visuals, etc and reclining seats, great food and drinks - that's about 20€ most days or 15€ on reduced days (Wednesdays and I think Mondays too)

That cost you mentioned is about 28€, which is more or less the cost for this summer cinema thing I'm going to this evening in the gardens of a posh hotel, which includes the sofa, an alcoholic beverage and popcorn.

And in Paris I used to pay an UGC unlimited membership about 20€ a month which gave you the option to go to as many films as you wanted (I see it's 24€ now). Do you have those kind of plans?

Why is cinema so expensive in the UK? It's insane.

- I have a neighbourhood cinema which is absolutely fine that has basically all the films I want to see, and for which the cost is 5€ on Mondays and Tuesdays. 12 rooms and loads of screenings
- I paid 12€ in a bigger, nicer theatre tomorrow for the Romulus premiere (it comes out on Friday in Spain otherwise)
- when I feel like it, depending on the film, etc. there's a VIP cinema 5mn walk from here where each screening room has amazing sound, visuals, etc and reclining seats, great food and drinks - that's about 20€ most days or 15€ on reduced days (Wednesdays and I think Mondays too)

That cost you mentioned is about 28€, which is more or less the cost for this summer cinema thing I'm going to this evening in the gardens of a posh hotel, which includes the sofa, an alcoholic beverage and popcorn.

And in Paris I used to pay an UGC unlimited membership about 20€ a month which gave you the option to go to as many films as you wanted (I see it's 24€ now). Do you have those kind of plans?

Yeah when I take the family, the 4 of us could end up spending £30-40 and we get our tickets for free! The snacks etc are ridiculously priced.

That's fecked up, basically price gouging by the regular theater.
Yep pretty much.

Jesus that’s seems incredible. Although you will never know what it’s like to breathe in air that is free of EU tyranny!

There are plans but adding in the cost of travel(The trains are also expensive in the UK)and food it’s not really worth it. Plus the range of films is terrible. Taking out new releases it’s all pretty much repeat showings of Star Wars and comic book movies.

There is a cheaper cinema(£10 a ticket) but the seats are tiny, the screen isn’t the great and there always been some arsehole customers fighting with the staff.

Yeah when I take the family, the 4 of us could end up spending £30-40 and we get our tickets for free! The snacks etc are ridiculously priced.
I recently watched Mad Max Fury Road at the Waterloo Imax and a large coke was £5.50!

Just finished Hoosiers for the first time in years, left the championship game for this AM. I am bawling right now, what a movie. Easily in the argument for the best sports movie ever. 9.5 / 10
Tell me you haven't seen Air Bud 2: Golden Receiver without telling me you haven't seen Air Bud 2: Golden Receiver.

Watched It Ends With Us and not a fan at all. I know its about a serious issue but that doesn't mean it has to be considered a good movie. Apparently the director/main guy's edit of the film lost out to Blake Lively's version cos she got her hubbie to step in, when his supposedly tested better