Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

I will go on into some detail tonight but the set and visual design is its greatest strength.

More than a movie, it felt like a mix between riding a disney/warner theme park ride and watching someone play Dead Space/ Alien: Isolation.

First 10 minutes are the best, and then we have the teen actors that can't act taking over...

It was fun though. Love me some Alien even if the quality is not even close to the first one. 5.5/10

I absolutely hated the Ash call back. :lol:
Reanimating a corpse in the form of cgi, where the execution is awful anyway, morally doesn't sit right with me.
Just get another actor.
There's enough references in the film anyway.

So disappointed in that aspect of the film.

Oh, and dialogue call backs too. Christ.

I absolutely hated the Ash call back. :lol:
Reanimating a corpse in the form of cgi, where the execution is awful anyway, morally doesn't sit right with me.
Just get another actor.
There's enough references in the film anyway.

So disappointed in that aspect of the film.

Oh, and dialogue call backs too. Christ.

At first I thought the bit where they go and check the torso and he rears up and grabs at them and you got a very quick flash of his face and could just about tell it was an Ash model would be it. Which would’ve been a quick nice little thing….

Shorn of the morality of it all, the weirdest thing is that in this largely very practical film, they could’ve just used a beaten up model. He’s a fecking robot and they did it in Alien3*. They must’ve known the mouth looked really bad? Surely? I’d understand if they could get it looking perfect but, the mouth… the MOUTH!

*Also I’m pretty sure they were gonna use a model/animatronic in the original but it shrunk so they had to do that dodgy quick cut instead

Last edited:
At first I thought the bit where they go and check the torso and he rears up and grabs at them and you got a very quick flash of his face and could just about tell it was an Ash model would be it. Which would’ve been a quick nice little thing….

Shorn of the morality of it all, the weirdest thing is that in this largely very practical film, they could’ve just used a beaten up model. He’s a fecking robot and they did it in Alien3 They must’ve known the mouth looked really bad? Surely?
I initially thought they were going to upload Ash's/Rooks consciousness into the computer system.
Would've been less of a visual distraction and I think it would've been more interesting too.

Certainly would've been cheaper.

* Also there's no justification for it to be a Ash dublicate, right?
Because no one knew in the first film that Ash was a android.

* And the music cue when Rook mentions the ship Prometheus. I laughed out loud.

Last edited:
Twisters

Whoever recommended this schmaltzy, ultra-American claptrap in this thread, deserves a banning. One of the worst and most intolerable films I have seen in the best part of a decade. It may as well have been titled “USA! USA! Cowboys, pick ups, cheesy teenage soundtrack, USA, barf”.

It’s essentially a movie about fecking wind, but at its core it’s just a tired cliche redemption arc of tradegy, fear, bravery, triumph, and Glen Powell’s smug chops. Nearly every visible surface in the movie, including people’s clothes, were covered in the star spangled banner, and the plot has all the unpredictability of peanut butter and “jelly” sandwich. It has about the wit of one too. Someone compared this to Top Gun: Maverick on an earlier page, and I can only assume this was shortly after their lobotomy.

I nearly vomited at the sight of Glen Powell smirking his way through every line and the teenage angst country soundtrack. I hated everything about this film. It’s like a Michael Bay movie had a lovechild with the MAGA movement. Luckily for the brainiacs amongst us, the plot revolves around real science, where hillbillies with PhD’s defuse category 5 tornados with a couple of firecrackers and some barrels of “polymer”. Something which, I can only imagine, is the equivalent of stopping a blizzard with some chicken salad.

1/10

Last edited:
Twisters

Whoever recommended this schmaltzy, ultra-American claptrap in this thread, deserves a banning. One of the worst and most intolerable films I have seen in the best part of a decade. It may as well have been titled “USA! USA! Cowboys, pick ups, cheesy teenage soundtrack, USA, barf”.

It’s essentially a movie about fecking wind, but at its core it’s just a tired cliche redemption arc of tradegy, fear, bravery, triumph, and Glen Powell’s smug chops. Nearly every visible surface in the movie, including people’s clothes, were covered in the star spangled banner, and the plot has all the unpredictability of peanut butter and “jelly” sandwich. It has about the wit of one too. Someone compared this to Top Gun: Maverick on an earlier page, and I can only assume this was shortly after their lobotomy.

I nearly vomited at the sight of Glen Powell smirking his way through every line and the teenage angst country soundtrack. I hated everything about this film. It’s like a Michael Bay movie had a lovechild with the MAGA movement.

1/10
I don't get the Glen Powell hype.

I don't get the Glen Powell hype.
He’s the manifestation of all the ideals of white América. Smug, Ill deserved sense of superiority, in shape but not overly muscular, down to earth momma loving’, fast talkin’, smart but not too intelligent, thin lipped, not tall but not too short, USA lovin’, gregarious, and charming. Otherwise translated to international or critical thinking audiences as a limited, no range, bland, Ken doll, obnoxious, smug, douche bag.

I’m not sure if it’s obvious or not, but I’m not much of a fan.

Borderlands has bombed hard, critically and financially. Yikes.
From all Ive heard of Eli Roth, this tanking hard can only be a godsend. Maybe he’ll be stuffed back into directors jail and the key thrown away. This film appears shit from any vantage point: asinine casting, moronic story, incompetent buffoonish director.
I watched it in the cinema earlier this year. It’s decent enough and really shows how creepy and controlling Elvis. It’s a very Sofia Coppola film so if that’s not your thing I wouldn’t rush to see it.

The biggest issue is the lack of funds. There’s clearly meant to be far more scenes about Priscilla life away from Elvis but there wasn’t the money to do so. I read that things got so bad Coppola had to use old footage from car adverts she directed in the early 2010’s.
I read some facetious review of this that was basically, “the story of how hard it was being the luckiest bitch on the planet who got to feck the hottest rock star on earth and be wildly wealthy at the same time.”
Twisters

I nearly vomited at the sight of Glen Powell smirking his way through every line and the teenage angst country soundtrack. I hated everything about this film. It’s like a Michael Bay movie had a lovechild with the MAGA movement. Luckily for the brainiacs amongst us, the plot revolves around real science, where hillbillies with PhD’s defuse category 5 tornados with a couple of firecrackers and some barrels of “polymer”. Something which, I can only imagine, is the equivalent of stopping a blizzard with some chicken salad.

1/10
Glen Powell is chicken salad.

Jackpot (2024)

A meh attempt at doing a comedic version of The Purge.

No meaningful plot to speak of. Lots of car chases and fights which lean more towards absurd and ridiculous than comedy.

Cena carries the movie. Awkwafina is quite underrated as an actress, but as a comedian, she's better in small doses. But then again, the script and dialogue doesn't give her.much opportunity for genuine comedy.

With a bit more effort it could have been far more entertaining.

"Will watch only if it's free" kinda movie. Grab popcorn, open beer, turn off brain and enjoy wasting a evening!

6/10

Twisters

1/10
Yeah watched it recently, very cliched and just a poor film.

Original was good though, better chemistry

Meh, Twisters was wonderful summer popcorn entertainment. It's not a great film but it does what it sets out to do brilliantly. Glen Powell is probably not the nexr great actor but that particular kind of role he knows how to do, and Daisy Edgar Jones is a star.

I will be seeing Alien tomorrow. Looking forward to it, and reactions here seems good enough. I'm not really a big fan of the franchise, but I like the first two well enough. Hopefully it's at least a step up from Prometheus/Covenant.

Alien Romulus

I thiink it’s a solid 7 out of 10. I love the alien franchise, aliens being quite comfortably the best and probably my favourite movie of all time. But I’m not precious about it in the “they didn’t need to make that or tell us the space jockey origin” kind of sensitivity.

I enjoyed Prometheus and Covenant as movies , without the “not my aliens baggage”. They are solid horror movies on their own and the fact they exist together and within aliens franchise doesn’t bother me , flaws and all.

I was concerned seeing very young characters/actors and thought this was gonna be twilight aliens. I was also worried that the usual Disney “let’s have lots of diversity and shove it in everybody’s face” culture sh*t would take away from it. Unless I missed anything I’m glad to report the movie would be at home in 80/90s where a horror action movie isn’t trying to teach us anything or lecture us. It’s people getting obliterated by aliens, thank you for that.

In terms of a review, spoiler free , it had enough ingredients to be considered a positive addition. Doesn’t break new ground , has some nods to other movies and it had a couple of cool ideas.

I have to say “it rehashes old stories or elements” as a criticism just doesn’t cut it with me. What exactly do people expect going to a movie prequel or one that admits it wants to be respectful to originals.

In this movie , people die , aliens chase them and there’s a space station. There’s callbacks to old movies. Not an awful lot of originality, but all I wanted was to be entertained and in general I was.

I’d give it solid 7 out of 10 but understand if people are a point or two up/down from it. I think as a stand-alone horror movie it works well and it kind of hits a sweet spot of “I’m not disgusted” and “I’m actually enjoying parts of this” which is enough for me. Not sure how much if rewatch it , prob would when it’s out on demand but I hope it does well.

I’d love to see more made like this, the feel and look , like with some of the books on a mine planet or even would they dare make alien isolation? A version of AI using this sort of film making would absolutely work and if done well would really bring the franchise back to the fore..

Why in Alien movies do characters

die off screen in anticlimactic fashion? You have Newt and Hicks dying in Alien 3, Shaw being killed off screen in Covenant and the legendary original Alien, nicknamed 'Big chap' ( :lol: ) surviving in space in this new film, killing another space crew off screen, before being dispatched himself. Would like to have seen another film of that alien run riot but it wasn't to be

Deadpool 3

I've only seen 6 or 7 Marvel movies. Really enjoyed Deadpool 1 & 2 so made an effort to pop over to my local cinema to watch the third installment.

Another fun, bloody, slapstick, violent affair.
Deadpool & Wolverine's chemistry was good.
Some of the Marvel/Marvel Studio in-jokes went over my head though.

6/10

die off screen in anticlimactic fashion? You have Newt and Hicks dying in Alien 3, Shaw being killed off screen in Covenant and the legendary original Alien, nicknamed 'Big chap' ( :lol: ) surviving in space in this new film, killing another space crew off screen, before being dispatched himself. Would like to have seen another film of that alien run riot but it wasn't to be
To be fair , minor how short it was, Hicks and Newt died onscreen in the intro of A3.
But the others are largely down to poor writing, a general lack of respect for the those characters and maybe even a sense of ambiguity, which the Alien series generally thrives on.
Regarding Big Chap's role in Romulus, you'll see his events unfold in a comic released in October.

Glen Powell looks like he's been made in a lab.

Btw, I haven't seen or been remotely interested in the films he's starred in, so I cant really comment on his acting chops.

I take your word for it and, tbh, I thought Gosling performance was rather underwhelming in the role of Ken. Which is a shame as he can do comedy well.
Lars and the Real Girl and Nice Guys show his comedic range.
I was speaking solely about his physical appearance. That grin of his is so fake. I didn't see Barbie but I do love Ryan as an actor.

Oh, right.
Those insta pics look abit ai generated tbh.
F_AhO4CWcAA54Bk.jpg

Not watched many from this genre… guessing the guy in this trailer is some superstar (anyone know)? Watch the trailers in my local cinema and it’s quiet with the occasional whispered “that looks ok?”

What the..... ?????!!!!?!?!?!

Sorry, that's it for my contribution here.

https://fb.watch/u0Eouqlnwq/
Not sure if this link will play, but it's Jason Pargin [author of John Dies At The End] talking about why the Alien sequels haven't really worked, aside from Aliens.

Gotta show the dental work!

Dead behind the eyes
Nice dental work though .

Top half of his head looks like David Duchovny

Really looks like a waxwork.

This is the most extreme psychopathic mass murderer smile I have ever seen.

He malfunctioned and was stuck in this pose for several hours.
They compared him to a capybara.

Glen Powell is probably a nice guy, probably is kind to animals and buys his girlfriend flowers every once in a while for no reason, just to say he loves her. But I find him uninteresting.

Watched the new alien movie. Decent watch.

That beast at the end was scary.

Didn't understand how there were multiple grown up xenomorphs on the station.

The Xenomoprhs were born from the people working in the station. The scientists retro engineered the specimen (from its DNA) they captured floating in space. That's how they could print facehuggers and produce that black goo. Eventually, the Alien + facehuggers managed to escape...