Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

Couple of games I've played recently:

Spiritfarer - The third game by Thunder Lotus Games and the second one I've played after Sundered. A very different game to say the least. They describe it as a "cozy management game about dying", and that's exactly what it is. I loved the chill vibes this had and some of the early characters are wonderful. It does outstay its welcome by the end and turns into a serious grind for materials, but I mostly enjoyed my time with it. Has a couple of heartbreaking moments. I've gone ahead a bought their first game Jotun, I really like this studio.

Narita Boy - This was a massive disappointment. I'd seen it recommended by several sources, not least by Skill Up who gave it a strong recommendation. On the surface it has everything I would love, a strong 80s inspired retro aesthetic, lovely synthwave soundtrack and metroidvania-adjacent gameplay. What I actually got was a dull hunt for keys to open doors to find more keys, really sluggish movement that never felt good to control, boring level design, mediocre combat and nonsensical technobabble story. Dropped it after 2 hours, which is rare for me. I don't understand what other people see in this beyond its stylistic presentation.

Evil West - Just started this and I like what I'm seeing. It's the sort of no nonsense, unsophisticated, simplistic fun game that would feel right at home in the PS360 gen. Fun, tactile combat, unlockable skills, weapon upgrades, some light exploration to find optional caches and bits of lore, gruff characters, cool boss fights. It has that double-A energy while still looking pretty decent. I'd never recommend something like this at full price, but at a discount (or in my case as a monthly PS Plus Essential game), it's definitely worth a try.

What happened to people posting about video games in here? Seems if you aren't posting console wars stuff, no one is interested. Feels like I'm just talking to myself in here. Anyway...

I've been watching some stuff on this YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/@IFinishedAVideoGame. Highly recommended for those who want extremely long, in-depth and well researched videos about specific games or series. After starting his video on Vagrant Story, I decided to wait and experience it for myself first, as it's one of those all time classics I've never played.

Had to go the emulation route here, first time I've ever dabbled with it but it seems pretty easy with Duckstation. I'm looking forward to seeing how well this game has held up, and whether it deserves its legendary status.

I've been circling around multiple games recently. Finding it hard to just nail one down.

I have Skyrim, FF7 Rebirth, Fallout London and KCD that I'm playing solo and Phasmo/Morrowind that i'm playing with mates.

I've been circling around multiple games recently. Finding it hard to just nail one down.

I have Skyrim, FF7 Rebirth, Fallout London and KCD that I'm playing solo and Phasmo/Morrowind that i'm playing with mates.
Those are all enormous time commitments though, I'd go insane if I tried to play all those at the same time. :lol: Sometimes playing a couple of shorter games is the perfect palate cleanser.

Those are all enormous time commitments though, I'd go insane if I tried to play all those at the same time. :lol: Sometimes playing a couple of shorter games is the perfect palate cleanser.

Thankfully the former and latter are games I've played before. The two in between are when I have more time to commit to a game. I've only had a couple hours here and there to game lately so usually use that as a time to replay games for achievements.

Fallout London is a great little mod though. Lots of issues but for a fan made venture it's brilliant.

I’ve not played my PS5 properly for about 6 months now. There’s nothing really that I want to play but I’m sure there’ll be some decent indie stuff knocking about. I’ve just been either spending that money elsewhere or doing other things so far.

I’ve not played my PS5 properly for about 6 months now. There’s nothing really that I want to play but I’m sure there’ll be some decent indie stuff knocking about. I’ve just been either spending that money elsewhere or doing other things so far.
Just get the Elden ring dlc you nonce.

Yeah mine is starting to gather some dust. Haven't touched it since I moved. I will get the Elden Ring DLC later in the year though.

What happened to people posting about video games in here? Seems if you aren't posting console wars stuff, no one is interested. Feels like I'm just talking to myself in here. Anyway...
Been playing FFVII Rebirth since it launched but procrastinating by playing other stuff as it's a drag, including Crisis Core for some reason, Ever Crisis on mobile, and The Elder Scrolls Online. Pro tip: if you feel like playing a certain game is a drag, I advise not playing two other games set in the same universe at the same time. Not my smartest idea.

Been playing FFVII Rebirth since it launched but procrastinating by playing other stuff as it's a drag, including Crisis Core for some reason, Ever Crisis on mobile, and The Elder Scrolls Online. Pro tip: if you feel like playing a certain game is a drag, I advise not playing two other games set in the same universe at the same time. Not my smartest idea.

Especially not Crisis Core which becomes one of the biggest drags out there!

I've just started dropping any games the second they feel like a chore now. I used to push through regardless but that never made them not feel like a chore. It was more to scratch an itch in my brain.

Not fussed about that any more. No fun? I turn it off.

Persona 5 broke me. I finished it on New Year's Eve last year, but haven't played anything since.

That does sound like a terrible idea. Isn't Ever Crisis supposed to be a gacha nightmare as well?

Great game. See now that's a long one but it always felt fun.
Did you play Royal? It's basically an improvement in every way and adds another 30 hours at the end. Well worth playing if you haven't played 5 in a few years.

Persona 3 Reload is also great if you can find it for 30 quid.

Also I've said it multiple times but I really can't recommend the Prince of persia metroidvania that came out earlier this year enough. It's class.

Did you play Royal? It's basically an improvement in every way and adds another 30 hours at the end. Well worth playing if you haven't played 5 in a few years.

Persona 3 Reload is also great if you can find it for 30 quid.

Also I've said it multiple times but I really can't recommend the Prince of persia metroidvania that came out earlier this year enough. It's class.
Nah, I think I played it just before it came out. Might do it all one day in the future but not whilst you're hassling me daily to download DLCs.

Great game. See now that's a long one but it always felt fun.
I liked the first 50 hours or so, but it just became too much for the last 50 hours. Basically a Tokyo high-school simulator. Overall, the game was great but a bit tiring.

On the bright side, I knew what places to visit when I was in Tokyo a couple of months ago. Felt like I've been there before.

That does sound like a terrible idea. Isn't Ever Crisis supposed to be a gacha nightmare as well?
I've played it almost a year now, not paid a penny and can do most content but yeah, it is designed to appeal to whales.

I've just started dropping any games the second they feel like a chore now. I used to push through regardless but that never made them not feel like a chore. It was more to scratch an itch in my brain.

Not fussed about that any more. No fun? I turn it off.
I get that. Just something harder for me to do with Rebirth as I want to get through the rest of the story. Just think I'll have another break for a couple of months playing short games in different genres and see if that'll help me finish the journey later on.

Especially not Crisis Core which becomes one of the biggest drags out there!
Yep. Ah well.

Spiritfarer - The third game by Thunder Lotus Games and the second one I've played after Sundered. A very different game to say the least. They describe it as a "cozy management game about dying", and that's exactly what it is. I loved the chill vibes this had and some of the early characters are wonderful. It does outstay its welcome by the end and turns into a serious grind for materials, but I mostly enjoyed my time with it. Has a couple of heartbreaking moments. I've gone ahead a bought their first game Jotun, I really like this studio.

Narita Boy - This was a massive disappointment. I'd seen it recommended by several sources, not least by Skill Up who gave it a strong recommendation. On the surface it has everything I would love, a strong 80s inspired retro aesthetic, lovely synthwave soundtrack and metroidvania-adjacent gameplay. What I actually got was a dull hunt for keys to open doors to find more keys, really sluggish movement that never felt good to control, boring level design, mediocre combat and nonsensical technobabble story. Dropped it after 2 hours, which is rare for me. I don't understand what other people see in this beyond its stylistic presentation.

Evil West - Just started this and I like what I'm seeing. It's the sort of no nonsense, unsophisticated, simplistic fun game that would feel right at home in the PS360 gen. Fun, tactile combat, unlockable skills, weapon upgrades, some light exploration to find optional caches and bits of lore, gruff characters, cool boss fights. It has that double-A energy while still looking pretty decent. I'd never recommend something like this at full price, but at a discount (or in my case as a monthly PS Plus Essential game), it's definitely worth a try.
1 and 3 are definitely on my todo list. Both on Ps Plus.

I still post my reviews here!

On that note, not a review but with my recent experiences I feel like Nintendo games are just for me. First, it was the enormous disappointment of Zelda Botw which as I mentioned was objectively a pretty good but at the end of the day highly monotonous and unrewarding in its exploration and moment to moment gameplay. Now I just tried Metroid Prime Remastered and I couldn’t be bothered playing past the tutorial. For me, I can enjoy a game which isn’t visually a treat but it has to make up for it in other ways. This just felt like playing an ancient game - which it is- but I’d thought they would have modernised it a bit to make the mechanics more satisfying.

I am enjoying Mario Wonder though as unlike the first two it feels way better and more satisfying. Albeit for me these sort of games (like Sackboy) are just a chill good time and not experiences I absolutely get lost in. Conclusion is that I’m definitely still a Sony pony and happily so.

I like Thunder Lotus a lot too. Jotun is probably their hardest game to recommend as its a bit bare bones, but thought what was there was great and there's a kind of purity to its focus. Good art style / music / production helps.
I've played a lot of new releases and talked in their threads about them. Playing Kunitsu Gami a new capcom game at the moment which i doubt will warrant a thread and i like it a lot. Easier to recommend when it drops to a €30 ish price point. Its an odd game, a mish mash of genres and i dont know how to describe it. It looks nice and plays well. Like a single player moba maybe? Probably helps to be into Japanese stuff.

Have you played Returnal? Phenomenal game.

Or if you like multiplayer gaming (which I usually dont) give Helldivers a try - it’s a lot of fun.

I like Thunder Lotus a lot too. Jotun is probably their hardest game to recommend as its a bit bare bones, but thought what was there was great and there's a kind of purity to its focus. Good art style / music / production helps.
I've played a lot of new releases and talked in their threads about them. Playing Kunitsu Gami a new capcom game at the moment which i doubt will warrant a thread and i like it a lot. Easier to recommend when it drops to a €30 ish price point. Its an odd game, a mish mash of genres and i dont know how to describe it. It looks nice and plays well. Like a single player moba maybe? Probably helps to be into Japanese stuff.
It's a shame that their latest game, 33 Immortals, is an online co-op affair. Pretty much kills my interest in it, as I just don't do multiplayer stuff. I like my solitude, damn it!

I've seen Kunitsu Gami recommended a lot but it's usually described as some form of tower defence game, which is another turn-off for me. Tower defence always sounds so boring to me, I don't see the appeal.

Or if you like multiplayer gaming (which I usually dont) give Helldivers a try - it’s a lot of fun.
I tried it. To much shit on the screen at once for me. Not my kind of thing.

It's a shame that their latest game, 33 Immortals, is an online co-op affair. Pretty much kills my interest in it, as I just don't do multiplayer stuff. I like my solitude, damn it!

I've seen Kunitsu Gami recommended a lot but it's usually described as some form of tower defence game, which is another turn-off for me. Tower defence always sounds so boring to me, I don't see the appeal.
I'm not oppossed to mulitplayer but its not a selling point in most cases. It depends how they do it really, if its just throwing you in with 32 players and some limited, friendly, splatoon like communications that would be appealing to me. If its a case of trying to organise 33 players in a lobby with open communication and all the toxicity that comes with that then i think it fails miserably. I quite like multiplayer, other humans are just much more interesting than ai. The social side isn't appealing, especially so at that scale.
I cant imagine them trying the second option, Warcraft struggles to get anything over 10 players through their raid content. I think it'll be interesting whichever way it goes anyway.
Tower defence is a good description for Kunitsu Gami, it fits. It just looked quite different to the usual fare and I liked the art style. I wouldn't normally play games like it but its well put together. I like Capcom, im inclined to just buy random stuff they produce

Any recommendations for either Switch or Xbox for a game that you can dip in and out of?

I’m really easy in terms of genre (I’ll play anything)

I tried it. To much shit on the screen at once for me. Not my kind of thing.
It’s one of those that feels overwhelming at first but once you gain abilities and an understanding of the mechanics you get into this lovely flow state. It’s the second best game I’ve played on the PS5 - could end up being the first game I platinum too. But yeah it’s not for everyone.

Returnal is a great shout, but it probably needs a good 4 hours before you really start to get it, or maybe that was just a lack of skill issue on my part.

Pretty impressive, but it'd be a nightmare finding the right controller

Blasphemous - It’s pretty well made and the developer’s passion for the subject matter forming the overarching theme (religion and in tradition in Seville) comes across but I’m afraid the moment to moment gameplay was fairly dull. I didn’t dislike any part of it but nothing of my 10-12 time was in any way exciting or elicited any other emotion.

7/10

Any recommendations for either Switch or Xbox for a game that you can dip in and out of?

Stardew Valley is probably the only game where I don't feel the need to start a new game when I return after a while. Also really nice on handheld. Yakuza series, especially 0 and Like a Dragon are really good, they're on Game Pass

Reactions: BenitoSTARR
Star Wars Outlaws getting middling reviews. Seems to be fairly buggy but doesn’t seem to do anything especially well. Ubisoft gonna Ubisoft.

Have you played Mario Odyssey? Probably my favourite Mario game of all time and really easy to just pick up and play whenever you get the urge.

Returnal is a great shout, but it probably needs a good 4 hours before you really start to get it, or maybe that was just a lack of skill issue on my part.
Yeah first few hours is mostly just fear, adrenaline and chaos. But goddamn it’s worth it. The gameplay loop, setting and audio design are all brilliant. The last is arguably the best I’ve experienced in any game - the little environmental sounds play such a key role in the whole experience. One of the best use of the dual sense too. Can’t wait to see what Housemarq do next.

Love playing Fifa 08 on career mode.

Absolutely brings back that childhood joy.