The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Conor Benn reportedly entered straight into #3 in the IBF rankings for 147, so functionally #2 because the IBF have that weird thing of keeping a step vacant.

The obvious hint is that he is going to be fed to Jaron Boots Ennis who is now with Matchroom. Nasty.
Hearn does that.
He's doing it with Edgar Berlanga who after Canelo has trashed him will be used to elevate Diego Pacheco who is his real hope.

Conor Benn reportedly entered straight into #3 in the IBF rankings for 147, so functionally #2 because the IBF have that weird thing of keeping a step vacant.

The obvious hint is that he is going to be fed to Jaron Boots Ennis who is now with Matchroom. Nasty.
You think Nigel will allow his boy be used as a sacrificial lamb?

I think Ennis should better be cleaning 147 if not frozen out. Probably a mistake to have him fight in Saudi too if he can repeat 10k+ attendances in Philly. Crawford dismissed taking a fight with him and I think this matchup gets only better and better for Boots as time passes.

You think Nigel will allow his boy be used as a sacrificial lamb?

There's ways to try to sell a B side into a fight. Benn giving a good account of himself against Ennis would do more to his stock than most if not all matchups he could take.

I think Benn the younger still hasn't resolved his issues with doping and can't fight in the UK, right ? I think he's spent as an A-side between this and his flat performances since his comeback.

I think Ennis should better be cleaning 147 if not frozen out. Probably a mistake to have him fight in Saudi too if he can repeat 10k+ attendances in Philly. Crawford dismissed taking a fight with him and I think this matchup gets only better and better for Boots as time passes.

There's ways to try to sell a B side into a fight. Benn giving a good account of himself against Ennis would do more to his stock than most if not all matchups he could take.

I think Benn the younger still hasn't resolved his issues with doping and can't fight in the UK, right ? I think he's spent as an A-side between this and his flat performances since his comeback.
Benn will likely lose vs a top 10 guy. beat an Uber driver then lose the cash out fight.

It's not impossible, Pacquaio didn't look good in that exhibition at Super Rizin 3, Benn is as much of a name he maybe doesn't struggle with.

To be bluntly cynical though, Benn is only good to be cashed out. Boots needs names to raise his profile if PBC and Top Rank are not willing to let an unification happen next. There's really not a lot of good contenders in the division and none that would move the needle with casuals (Crowley was dropped from the IBF rankings I believe, who knows when he'll be cleared by medical).

Ennis has the potential and tools to be a big star, I think it's more interesting to built him up than making a last Pacquaio payday that will be average.

That's an interesting perspective to be fair, it's definitely advantageous for Ennis from the standpoint of building his name / reputation.

The undercard for the Saudi-hosted Bivol-Beterviev mega LHW showdown has been revealed and it's... OK. Will probably be overstuffed and could have been trimmed down.

The undercard for the Saudi-hosted Bivol-Beterviev mega LHW showdown has been revealed and it's... OK. Will probably be overstuffed and could have been trimmed down.

Yeah, we've definitely been spoilt with some of the undercards and this is still a lot better than we usually get outside of Saudi, but pretty average for them. It's a bunch of A-siders in what should be pretty routine victories for the most part. Hopefully Wardley-Clarke delivers again.

Not exactly sure how Cordina gets KO'd and loses his belt, and his next fight is a shot against Shakur for the WBC at 135. :confused:

Yeah, we've definitely been spoilt with some of the undercards and this is still a lot better than we usually get outside of Saudi, but pretty average for them. It's a bunch of A-siders in what should be pretty routine victories for the most part. Hopefully Wardley-Clarke delivers again.

Not exactly sure how Cordina gets KO'd and loses his belt, and his next fight is a shot against Shakur for the WBC at 135. :confused:
I think the best card they did was the 5-5 QB vs MR + Bivol. Most competitive across the board and shorter. Otherwise I feel the Saudi cards are just way too long and uneven. The LA card for Crawford was a big fat mess in my opinion despite having decent fights.

This one looks like a souped up British card with Boxer added + Shakur, headlined by a potential monster fight.

Cordina is a bit of a weird (but predictable by Eddie's standards) matchup.

Inoue stops TJ Doheny in round 7.

Thought Doheny had some early success but I think that about most fighters v Inoue - then once it gets to round 4, he turns it on or the 'data is downloaded' as he says and by round 7-9, it's normally game over.

Not really sure who he can fight next.

Inoue stops TJ Doheny in round 7.

Thought Doheny had some early success but I think that about most fighters v Inoue - then once it gets to round 4, he turns it on or the 'data is downloaded' as he says and by round 7-9, it's normally game over.

Not really sure who he can fight next.
His next fight is scheduled to be against unbeaten Aussie Sam Goodman on 24 Dec followed by a Vegas trip and after that a all Japanese showdown with Junto Nakatani.

If Inoue is really set to fight Junto at 122 that means the Vegas fight must be at that weight still and not 126. Perhaps Murodjon Akhmadaliev ? Or Casimero that is fighting this October on a Japanese card ?

The Higa-Takei fight that was the co-main was an insane scrap and fight of the year contender.

Hiraoka also impressed. Tall, good jab. Stopped Old Man Barroso. Possibly a great contender at 140.

Sasaki is a come forward fighter. Fun but will probably struggle with his small frame at 147 against anyone that can exploit openings.

If Inoue is really set to fight Junto at 122 that means the Vegas fight must be at that weight still and not 126. Perhaps Murodjon Akhmadaliev ? Or Casimero that is fighting this October on a Japanese card ?

The Higa-Takei fight that was the co-main was an insane scrap and fight of the year contender.

Hiraoka also impressed. Tall, good jab. Stopped Old Man Barroso. Possibly a great contender at 140.

Sasaki is a come forward fighter. Fun but will probably struggle with his small frame at 147 against anyone that can exploit openings.

I'd imagine it'll likely be Goodman next and MJ for the Vegas fight given he's US-based. Nakatani I'd imagine will fight his brother first to build that fight a bit for down the line.

The dream fight would be Inoue-Bam but I'd imagine that's unlikely, will probably be at least 12-18 months before we see Bam at that weight and I don't know if Inoue sticks around that long.

Outside chance potentially of that US fight being a move up to 126 as Top Rank have 2 belt holders at the weight (Espinoza and now Leo); if he does move up though a Nick Ball fight would be the one I'd want to see.

I'd imagine it'll likely be Goodman next and MJ for the Vegas fight given he's US-based. Nakatani I'd imagine will fight his brother first to build that fight a bit for down the line.

The dream fight would be Inoue-Bam but I'd imagine that's unlikely, will probably be at least 12-18 months before we see Bam at that weight and I don't know if Inoue sticks around that long.

Outside chance potentially of that US fight being a move up to 126 as Top Rank have 2 belt holders at the weight (Espinoza and now Leo); if he does move up though a Nick Ball fight would be the one I'd want to see.
Nick Ball's a talented and gutsy scrapper but Inoue would destroy him.

Nick Ball's a talented and gutsy scrapper but Inoue would destroy him.
It'd be fun though. But Ball is a small build for that weight class I think Naoya destroys him on the counter.
If fighting Junto is really on the cards I'd think Inoue would like to stay at 122 for that Vegas fight. Top Rank which would co promote don't have big names there, but many at 126 (Leo, Vargas, Espinoza and they're obviously building up Carrington).

I'm still not quite sure what that whole Benn ranking in IBF is for, considering Boots has to fight or vacate now that the bid was settled. Maybe Benn fights Karen if Boots vacate and go to 154 ?

I can see Dubois knocking AJ out in the eighth/ninth.
Very possible given the power that Dubois carries, but I feel it's more likely that AJ knocks him out.

Could swing either way with heavyweights of a certain level, but I feel AJ is the better fighter and will come into this one with a level of spite - which does tend to bring out the best in him.

Dubois has barely any head movement. He’s a sitting duck in an open contest; feel he has to go all out as in a cerebral battle, he’ll get sold a feint and dropped bad by the follow up.

If he goes all out, it looks like a very interesting bout.

I would worry for Dubois based on the first couple of rounds of the Hrgovic fight; he couldn’t miss him with the right hand and Dubois always looks very front on to me .

Looking forward to this card.

Dubois needs an early stoppage or AJ will break him down.
Hutch Vs Buatsi best fight on the card

Boxing in a real environment just hits different even as a TV viewer. If this was a Saudi event, I'd be falling asleep by now.

Feels so novel watching a big fight that isn't completely dead and devoid of excitement for the miserable people in the venue.

Boxing in a real environment just hits different even as a TV viewer. If this was a Saudi event, I'd be falling asleep by now.
Liam Gallagher was terrible now we have a fire show ?
Saudi’s all over the front row
Real environment :lol:

Feels so novel watching a big fight that isn't completely dead and devoid of excitement for the miserable people in the venue.

This event has been put on by the Saudi's, but in London?

They're singing the Saudi national anthem...gotta rate them for that :lol: