The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Always has been over rated, faced a proper fighter and lost. Sky commentary is a joke

Why do people do this blow your own trumpet crap when they posted a post weeks ago then go back and drag it up when it comes true once in a blue moon.

It was immediately before the fight, and feck you.

Kell got out gunned, even from early doors. I could see it but the commentary team of Sky almost convninced otherwise.

Sometimes you wonder if theyre watching the same fight as us, was clear to see spence was going for the body but they just seem to ignore it!

Spence is just better at this point

GGG fight took a lot out of Brook imho

Clear mental weakness (not surprisingly) with Kell when it comes to eye injuries. Having gone through all of that trauma and recovery with GGG, you could see from the moment ESj turned the screw at the start of the 6th and KB's eye started to flare up, he became increasingly demoralised. He took a knee twice.

There can be no criticism of him or Khan about their bravery but ultimately at elite level, Khan has question marks around his chin while his heart is ranked amongst the best whereas Kell has question marks around his heart whereas his chin is amongst the best.

Spence Jr vs Thurman could be a barnstormer.

Ah well, Brook is one of our better ((former) champions. Still a world level fighter, and respected but yeah Spence is obviously going places....

Clear mental weakness (not surprisingly) with Kell when it comes to eye injuries. Having gone through all of that trauma and recovery with GGG, you could see from the moment ESj turned the screw at the start of the 6th and KB's eye started to flare up, he became increasingly demoralised. He took a knee twice.

There can be no criticism of him or Khan about their bravery but ultimately at elite level, Khan has question marks around his chin while his heart is ranked amongst the best whereas Kell has question marks around his heart whereas his chin is amongst the best.

Oh I don't know about that.....his fight against Carson was pretty bloody. That GGG fight took its toll and I doubt many fighters could come out of that mentally unscathed

Khan is a scumbag, standing there on the pundit panel at the stadium all smug. He's dragged Brook out for years, telling the fans and the cameras how he'll fight brook if he fights this fight, fights abroad, wins a title etc, then after he beats Spence. He then lends Spence, a foreign fighter his gym to train against Brook. Scum.

Can't wait to see Khan get banged out again, and he will. No doubt taken on another USA based fighter and still not having a world title for years.

Khan is a scumbag, standing there on the pundit panel at the stadium all smug. He's dragged Brook out for years, telling the fans and the cameras how he'll fight brook if he fights this fight, fights abroad, wins a title etc, then after he beats Spence. He then lends Spence, a foreign fighter his gym to train against Brook. Scum.

Can't wait to see Khan get banged out again, and he will. No doubt taken on another USA based fighter and still not having a world title for years.

Dont really when people say this. Khan is a joke right now for sure, but Brook and Hearn put all their eggs in that basket and literally begged him for that fight when they should have been chasing other fights in the division which is filled with excellent fighters. Khan has fought several world class fighters compared to Brook in his career, who has only really had Porter as a proper challenge (cant count the GGG fight). This was Brooks first real fight against a dangerous oppenent and he quits in his home stadium. Dont feel for him at all tbh

I think his orbital bone eye socket thing should be cause for him to retire... He broke one last time and he probably broke the other one this time. This is serious shit aside from the brain damage which is bad enough he could loose his site. Feck it he must have made a few quid go enjoy your life.

Brook is special but unfortunately for him, Spence is just a bit more special.

Only guy I can see beating Spence at 47 is Crawford when he makes the move up there. Or Manny lol.

Oh I don't know about that.....his fight against Carson was pretty bloody. That GGG fight took its toll and I doubt many fighters could come out of that mentally unscathed

I don't doubt that but I was very careful to mention "eye injuries" because that's the key and the cold truth.

As is the fact that Eddie Hearn's glorified match making has seemingly derailed Kell's top level career. The Khan fight is the best money making option but outside of that contest, Brook has become a vulnerable target at elite level when he should still be a feared champion. The move to light middle is the clear path now following extensive recouperation and a couple of warm up contests.

I don't doubt that but I was very careful to mention "eye injuries" because that's the key and the cold truth.

As is the fact that Eddie Hearn's glorified match making has seemingly derailed Kell's top level career. The Khan fight is the best money making option but outside of that contest, Brook has become a vulnerable target at elite level when he should still be a feared champion. The move to light middle is the clear path now following extensive recouperation and a couple of warm up contests.

The problem with Kell stepping up in divisions is that he isn't a big enough puncher.

I don't see him having the power to really hurt anyone in that division.

He must've been nakkered because whenever he imposed himself and his boxing skills he was controlling the fight well at times.

Being American, I'd been looking forward to this fight moreso than even Garcia-Thurman because I'd been on the Spence train for about a year but he still didn't have that name on his résumé and this was his chance. The fight was worth the wait.

I'm curious as to what fight the judges were watching, though. Spence won majority of those rounds, badly out throwing and out landing Brook in nearly every round. They only took notice when Brook started to get worn down by it (and no doubt the weight cut). Through 10, I had it 7-3/8-2 Spence. I think it was the 5th(?) that was a toss up for me but that was Spence's fight the entire way. Unless they were handing out points for grabbing and clinching.

As is the fact that Eddie Hearn's glorified match making has seemingly derailed Kell's top level career.
The Khan fight is the best money making option but outside of that contest, Brook has become a vulnerable target at elite level when he should still be a feared champion. The move to light middle is the clear path now following extensive recouperation and a couple of warm up contests.

Agree 100%. I rewatched that fight with Golovkin, and found it difficult to watch. Brutal punishment and totally unnecessary. Eddie fecked that one up royally.

I don't understand this part of your post, especially the bit in bold.

Being American, I'd been looking forward to this fight moreso than even Garcia-Thurman because I'd been on the Spence train for about a year but he still didn't have that name on his résumé and this was his chance. The fight was worth the wait.

I'm curious as to what fight the judges were watching, though. Spence won majority of those rounds, badly out throwing and out landing Brook in nearly every round. They only took notice when Brook started to get worn down by it (and no doubt the weight cut). Through 10, I had it 7-3/8-2 Spence. I think it was the 5th(?) that was a toss up for me but that was Spence's fight the entire way. Unless they were handing out points for grabbing and clinching.

Wouldn't worry about Froch's scoring- he's got form for that. Mind you, after the Ward-Kovalev debacle, it's not just a Sky thing clearly YMMV

Though it was a hard fight to score in the first 6 rounds, Brook was probably winning the fight. Spence got hit with some big shots, but showed great composure and looked calm throughout. His focus didn't slip after a difficult start, and he broke down Brook with some ruthless shots to the body. Which contributed to Brook gassing early (not to forget the weight cut). He answered the two main questions against him with a fine performance.

It will be interesting to see who Brook fights next, but I feel for him. Has he progressed since that Porter fight in 2014? No because his decisions have screwed his future. He was 36-0, but took a fight against GGG who wrecked him physically and mentally. That was 8 months ago - you need longer than that to recover from that type of punishment. The only "good" thing to come out of this is a Khan-Brook fight. Surely Khan will have had a decent look at the GGG and Spence fights and think that there is a vulnerability in Brook that wasn't there before.

Wouldn't worry about Froch's scoring- he's got form for that. Mind you, after the Ward-Kovalev debacle, it's not just a Sky thing clearly YMMV
I watched on Showtime and they had some guy I'd never heard of and only went to him at the halfway point and he had Brook up 4-2 I think, which was egregious. The fact that they weren't showing us the card the whole way or showing us compubox was irritating. They're second rate compared to HBO.

I watched on Showtime and they had some guy I'd never heard of and only went to him at the halfway point and he had Brook up 4-2 I think, which was egregious. The fact that they weren't showing us the card the whole way or showing us compubox was irritating. They're second rate compared to HBO.
Steve Farhood!! I quite like Steve Farhood, and pretty much agreed with his scorecard today. Brook lands very clean and crisp punches to the face which is always a big scorer with the judges.

Steve Farhood!! I quite like Steve Farhood, and pretty much agreed with his scorecard today. Brook lands very clean and crisp punches to the face which is always a big scorer with the judges.
Yes that's the fella. I put more stock in busyness. Spence outlanded him every round. Even if Brook's punches were clean, they weren't particularly effective. He never really hurt Spence, whereas you could tell the body shots were wearing on Brook. That scores more with me but everyone is different.

Glad to see Spence won the bout. I was also surprised to see Brook just surrender like he did in front of his home crowd.

The one thing you have to say for brook is everyone he has got in the ring with has never really out boxed him. Yesterday was a close run fight until the eye got swollen and then brook tired dramatically when he started to take more punches in the second half of the fight. In terms of boxing ability, Brook is a really big prospect but he needs to be managed far better than he has been. Taking on GGG was classed as a no lose situation which couldn't be further from the truth after his eye socket got really damaged. After the fight he should have moved up in weight and took a couple of easier more winnable fights at a weight his body is more comfortable at. Going into the fight yesterday as drained as Kell has to be to make weight and then to face a younger guy with really big talent, was only going to end one way if it entered the later rounds. Good fight all together but Eddie Hearn and Kells trainers need to have a long think about moving him up now.

I don't understand this part of your post, especially the bit in bold.

Opposing fighters will target facial swelling to Brook (via clean or dirty methods - head clash, forearms, elbows). He's proved his chin and body are made of granite and can take pretty much everything he's been hit with but he's shown twice now that when his eyes are effected, his spirit goes.

That's not a criticism btw as none of us would carry on in the face of those struggles either. The point is that previously (before the needless GGG fight) nobody knew what areas to attack Kell as he showed no visible weakness. He passed the gut check with Carson Jones (though he should have lost the first one tbf) and overcame the bullish pressure of Porter while dominating most of the rest and obliterating southpaws.

Every fighter has wesknesses but the key at elite level is masking that and being able to stick to a plan in the face of adversity. In his last 2 fights (and as a direct consequence of that first one), Brook has been unable to contain that whereas he had for 30 odd contests before that.

As for his next steps, Kulcay-Ceth would be a very winnable title matchup for Kell if he's still a champion when he's ready to compete again. As would Liam Smith if Hearn can work an angle on that (I think Canelo vacated didn't he?). That division has strong guys but there are clear routes back to a title for a boxing of Kell's skillset while entertaining the Khan fight along the way.