The pitch at Old Trafford

Nani is not alone, Rooney has been underwhelming as well. Carrick & Anderson, on the other hand, very nice

I'm surprised it's actually not as bad as I thought it'd be.

Did it not snow in Manchester last night? I'm only about 30 miles away and it chucked it down.

Pitch is awfull, and it's obvious that is affecting quality of the games lately at Old Trafford, players are struggling to make decent pass, and even players like Giggs are struggling with first touch sometimes.

Nani is not alone, Rooney has been underwhelming as well. Carrick & Anderson, on the other hand, very nice

Rooney's first touch has been terrible, but that's mainly down to the pitch I think. Likewise Nani and Rafael have had some heavy touches where they've mistimed the ball - also due to the pitch.

I agree there have been others not playing well including Rooney but i don't think i have seen a winger have more space and do less with it than Nani first half - Christ most Sunday league forwards would have crossed some decent balls with that much room.

Rooney fantastic goal, anyone saying hes playing badly must be watching a different game. I think hes looking very lively.

I hate the pitch, it really ruins the flow of our game.

On the plus side, it's perfect if we're gonna meet Barca.

Carrick's poor first touch before the goal we conceeded came after ball bounced strangely, feck it.

SAF not sounding happy with it.

Can't we relay it ?

We're destroying it for a reason.

Have a look at that right wing.

There's a big lad from Portugal coming who loves it over there.

Are we leaving it for Madrid? I remember Neville mentioning how they water their pitch like crazy.

I think they're waiting until the end of the season before relaying it.

I think they have re-layed in the middle of a season before? But you need a schedule with no home games for a while.

SAF not sounding happy with it.

Can't we relay it ?
The grass would get cut up again as we are playing on it every week, won't happen until summer now so there's no point in moaning about it.

It's been a while since we relayed ours (4/5 years by my estimation). City probably did it in the summer.

Can Phelan get them circles put into it? Always thought they looked good.

It's been a while since we relayed ours (4/5 years by my estimation). City probably did it in the summer.

It's been 10 years actually. They mentioned it a few weeks ago, that we went throu 16 pitches in the 10 years previous, and then only this one for the last 10 years.

Sure ? I read it has been 6 years somewhere.
Looks like your right, I remember seeing a picture with strips of the grass missing, could have been an old picture or they might replaced a certain part of the pitch.
“We have had six great years out of the pitch. Our groundsman, Tony Sinclair, has done a fantastic job. But it is looking tired now and I think we will have a new pitch in the summer.”

I'm no expert, how long does it take to relay the pitch? It would be ideal if we could do something about it before 'squeaky bum time' approaches.

I'm no expert, how long does it take to relay the pitch? It would be ideal if we could do something about it before 'squeaky bum time' approaches.

I mentioned earlier in this thread, the work itself can be done in a short period of time but the turfs need to be given time to bind together or they seperate, pull up and you have all sorts of trouble. It takes especially long for it to bind at this time of year with sod all light and loads of water let alone the freezing temperatures it's near on impossible. Sadly it's a summer job.

We are just going to have to live with the pitch until the end of the season. Nothing can be done about it really until then.

Southampton passed it fine.

Aside from the shitness of the pitch.

What was scary is how we seemed to not have the wits to see Soton passing short and doubling up their movement with pods of 2 and 3 players passing really short and letting the movement around them move the ball over short spaces.

We just kept clogging away with our medium passing range and hoofing it long. Very very scary. We need to adapt if the pitch is shite and use the conditions instead of clogging ahead with the same old strategy time and time again.

I'm no expert either, but I think we'd have to wait until the season is over before we do a pitch replacement. Ot at least until after freezing temps are behind us.

Can we use it as an excuse? Both teams have to play on it. Yeah teams playing long balls might not suffer as much but the pitch isn't the main worry there.

I think SAF is just using it as an excuse to save the players some face in the media. We managed 45 perfectly fine minutes on that pitch, we just turned into spastics after that who could't keep the ball for more than 30 odd seconds. You're telling me these world class players can't adapt to a bad pitch within 45 minutes? We've played on worse pitches in the past and not done half as badly.

It's not like Southampton were just lumping it forward either. They managed to pass it around and play decent football.