The pitch at Old Trafford

Being better than Wembley is no achievement. That place is the worst ground in the universe. There is literally no redeeming feature.

Yeah Wembley is dreadful, I literally don't see the point. A glass fronted space in Wembley (could have been anywhere in London, it's pointless holding on desperately to the "Wembley" mistique). Cost a ton of money. And is almost always a quarter empty from 35-55 minute mark of most games. But stick a Bobby Moore stature in front and it's the shrine of football.

Takes me a fecking hour and a half to get from Wembley back to South London whenever I go, I'm maybe a bit bitter.

Yeah Wembley is dreadful, I literally don't see the point. A glass fronted space in Wembley (could have been anywhere in London, it's pointless holding on desperately to the "Wembley" mistique). Cost a ton of money. And is almost always a quarter empty from 35-55 minute mark of most games. But stick a Bobby Moore stature in front and it's the shrine of football.

Takes me a fecking hour and a half to get from Wembley back to South London whenever I go, I'm maybe a bit bitter.

:lol: I share your pain.

I live in south west London and on one occasion, it took me two and a half hours to get back. An hour to get onto the tube and then an interminable trip back from there.

I don't drive but if I'm going with someone who does, that's the way to do it, which is strange for London. But it really is the only way to avoid the nightmare afterwards.

:lol: I share your pain.

I live in south west London and on one occasion, it took me two and a half hours to get back. An hour to get onto the tube and then an interminable trip back from there.

I don't drive but if I'm going with someone who does, that's the way to do it, which is strange for London. But it really is the only way to avoid the nightmare afterwards.

My brother, poor sod, made the trip from Putney to Wembley to see England win 6-0 against feckin Andorra. And this was during a tube strike. Took him something like 3.5 hours.

Every time I go on travel planner before a trip to Wembley, hoping some magical new route has popped out of the ground and can take me there without changing trains and buses and all that palaaaaaver.

They should have used Battersea power station, that would have been boss for a national stadium site. Wembley is just a brand in itself, despite making no sense as a location!

Yeah Wembley is dreadful, I literally don't see the point. A glass fronted space in Wembley (could have been anywhere in London, it's pointless holding on desperately to the "Wembley" mistique).

That gets on my tits too. Especially when commentators bang on about 'Historic' moments that have happened at Wembley, errrm yeah, the old one. Not this steaming shower of shit.

As for OT, I was a bit underwhelmed when I first went inside, in the sense that I was like 'Oh its just like a football ground but bigger' (Duh!)....but when I walked out to my seat and saw the pitch I was pretty breath taken my the size and beauty of it all.

I got to go to the old Wembley a decent number of times, i loved it. I havent been to the new Wembley and am interested to hear what is wrong with it that so many really dont like it.

I got to go to the old Wembley a decent number of times, i loved it. I havent been to the new Wembley and am interested to hear what is wrong with it that so many really dont like it.

The old Wembley in comparison was a shithole but it had character and charm, walking up the old Wembley way as a teenager seeing the towers for the first time was a magical experience. Wading through the toilets hoping the inch of piss doesn't go through to your socks was part of the experience.

The new one is a fantastic facility, much better for actually watching the game but its like holding a football match in a corporate buisness complex, everything is featureless and sterile. They fecked up big time by creating a huge executive seating area slap bang in the middle, right where the TV cameras are all game, thats an area that should have been chocked full of real fans getting close to the players as they go up to collect trophies like the old one, instead we get corporate twattery in there for the next 80 years.

Yep, The Emirates doesn't get close to Highbury. But then maybe kids who don't know anything about Highbury think the Emirates is marvellous, I don't know.

Football fans usually cling onto the whole character and charm thing about old stadiums. New stadiums are automatically branded 'plastic' because it doesn't have the charm and history of the old stadium. Highbury was a wonderful stadium but you have to move on in life rather clinging onto the past.

Have we removed the deadly slopes around the pitch?

I always thought that it was dangerous, seen a few players fall down and collide against the bricking around the terracing.

Have we removed the deadly slopes around the pitch?

I always thought that it was dangerous, seen a few players fall down and collide against the bricking around the terracing.

Certainly looks like it. Good thing I was also a bit scared one of our guys would get injured because of it

We'll wait until someone is seriously injured. Then make a po-faced statement that the welfare of players is our primary concern, and how determined we are that such a tragedy will never happen again.

We'll wait until someone is seriously injured. Then make a po-faced statement that the welfare of players is our primary concern, and how determined we are that such a tragedy will never happen again.

Or.... the slopes will remain because no one will get seriously injured because of them.

The slopes, the slopes... won't somebody think of the players!

I think we should make the sloped more extreme, so that the pitch is like a mountain and the centre circle is the peak of it. Then we wouldnt need to sign a CM because wing play would be all the rage

Eh...At least your national stadium is generally looked upon with gazing eyes by all foreigners (myself included) Wembley even just in name has that mystique. I wish we could've done the same with our national stadium. I don't know why they insisted on building this "Aviva Stadium" on the grounds of the old Lansdowne Road, if they aren't going to call it that. Worst of all, is that it's built on a massively built up suburb in Dublin, meaning expansion is pretty much a no go. fecking FAI

Eh...At least your national stadium is generally looked upon with gazing eyes by all foreigners (myself included) Wembley even just in name has that mystique. I wish we could've done the same with our national stadium. I don't know why they insisted on building this "Aviva Stadium" on the grounds of the old Lansdowne Road, if they aren't going to call it that. Worst of all, is that it's built on a massively built up suburb in Dublin, meaning expansion is pretty much a no go. fecking FAI

Believe it or not, but the stadium could have been 40% bigger had they built it east to west rather than north to south. The only reason they didn't, is that Lansdowne Rugby Club refused to move out to a brand new site the IRFU were going to give them.
:wenger:

But back to Old Trafford, the new pitch looks lovely, and the goal line tech finally here!