The pitch at Old Trafford

Seems we are going with the semi artificial turf that someone mentioned during the season. Will be nice to have a nice flat pitch again.

They'll wait until someone is seriously injured. That's standard practice in football.

I remember Wes Brown going at a good clip into it upside down leading with his back/arse.

It's always been dangerous but I am pretty sure someone told me once (probably bollocks) that it's because of the drainage and heating.

Work has began apparently

2B34239844AE4F768FC05C4FBDC123F0.ashx

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ld-Trafford-overhaul.html?ico=sport^headlines

Odd how the article repeats the off-mentioned "hasn't been relaid since 2004", but the photo looks exactly how I saw the OT pitch looking with my own eyes while in a meeting there in summer 2011...

Odd how the article repeats the off-mentioned "hasn't been relaid since 2004", but the photo looks exactly how I saw the OT pitch looking with my own eyes while in a meeting there in summer 2011...
Don't actually think the turf has been ripped up in that photo 'look at the line the goals are on. I'd say that is just sand on the surface. Golf courses uses it as well to keep their greens in perfect condition

Ah, maybe that's it. So they just put sand on top of the turf and let it grow through or something?

In fact, I have a suspicion that rather than bother try and get a photo of the current work, the Mail may have used a photo from that summer. That is exactly how it looked on that occasion.

Ah, maybe that's it. So they just put sand on top of the turf and let it grow through or something?

In fact, I have a suspicion that rather than bother try and get a photo of the current work, the Mail may have used a photo from that summer. That is exactly how it looked on that occasion.

You're right that pic wasn't from this year, this one though was apparently taken yesterday

old-trafford-pitch-600x350.jpg

If they are literiall digging it up, they might be renewing drainage/heating too and digging down further so the slope may in fact end up being less or non-existant.

I wouldn't bother putting down a new pitch since we're going to become a long ball team under Moyes.

Who's with me?

Looks like they've raisied and levelled the pitch. Hard to tell from that angle though.

We'll have a better idea the first time Jones goes tumbling off the edge of it!

More altitude you see. Adapt the players to the higher climate. We'll be like Bolivia in no time.

Old Trafford is hosting the Rugby League World Cup Final in November.

I don't see one or two games being too much of an issue. I don't watch a lot of League, but I don't think it's as sore on pitches as Union.

Old Trafford hosts rugby league every year. That 1/2 games ain't a cause for concern in my opinion. I think it's a shame about the Rugby World Cup personally

I've got so used to Old Trafford being the second best pitch in the league every year, so last season was an unpleasant experience. Hopefully we'll be back up there with the Emirates lording it over everyone else now.

Might be the angle but it looks as though it's got more camber.

fecking stunning football ground mind :drool:

I know this is sacrilege, but I found Old Trafford quite underwhelming first time I went, at least in comparison to Anfield and St James' Park.

Can't comment on The Emirates because I'm biased. The pitch at OT isn't bad though - there's a lot worse in the league that don't get any criticism when in fact they're pretty awful. Sunderland, for example, have one of the heaviest, roughest pitches in the league but no-one says a thing.

I've heard people say OT is underwhelming, but that's simply personal preference. I can honestly say OT is an inspiring place to be. Highbury was too. Emirates is more like Wembley. Shopping mall arena.

Yep, The Emirates doesn't get close to Highbury. But then maybe kids who don't know anything about Highbury think the Emirates is marvellous, I don't know.

For a United fan, I imagine OT is out of this world. I don't know - I just didn't 'feel it.'

Yep, The Emirates doesn't get close to Highbury. But then maybe kids who don't know anything about Highbury think the Emirates is marvellous, I don't know.

For a United fan, I imagine OT is out of this world. I don't know - I just didn't 'feel it.'

I know plenty of non United fans who like OT too, and plenty who don't. It just depends what you like. I have a feeling people visit it for the first time with all manner of preconceptions, to be fair.

Emirates is just nothing special for me, even though it might be marvelous architecture and all mod cons. It's sterile and I'd rather go to pretty much any ground in London instead (no disrespect, I've been to most of the London grounds a few times though). Except Wembley.

I know plenty of non United fans who like OT too, and plenty who don't. It just depends what you like. I have a feeling people visit it for the first time with all manner of preconceptions, to be fair.

Emirates is just nothing special for me, even though it might be marvelous architecture and all mod cons. It's sterile and I'd rather go to pretty much any ground in London instead (no disrespect, I've been to most of the London grounds a few times though). Except Wembley.
You could say the same for any of the new grounds built in the last 10 years.