The new Pepsi ad

This is my bread and butter.

This Pepsi ad is an excellent example of the perils of Ivory Tower arrogance. Pepsi is not a credible brand to help solve the cultural tension it is contextualised within. In fact, Pepsi has no relevance whatsoever with recent US cultural tensions and is therefore rightly seen as manipulative and profiteering.

A shame as when brands resolve cultural tensions in a truthful way one can create magic (like Amazon did last xmas which I was heavily involved with).

)

I was working with some kids (about 15 years old) and we looked at that advert.

One of them was confused about why it was supposed to be touching. She thought they'd both just gone home and ordered themselves the knee support :lol:

I googled this girl and it turns out she's a daughter of that transgender that everybody was talking about two years ago and some Kardashian, oddly enough. Guess that's why she's famous.

Her father is named Catelyn and her mother Kris. Funny that this is probably the least weird thing about that family.

In a discussion about cultural insensitivity this is a hilarious response.

Ad was boring as feck. I had to start skipping it pretty quick.

One of them was confused about why it was supposed to be touching. She thought they'd both just gone home and ordered themselves the knee support :lol:
Hopefully because she is still young enough to be naive from all the hateful propaganda!

This Pepsi ad is an excellent example of the perils of Ivory Tower arrogance. Pepsi is not a credible brand to help solve the cultural tension it is contextualised within. In fact, Pepsi has no relevance whatsoever with recent US cultural tensions and is therefore rightly seen as manipulative and profiteering.

A shame as when brands resolve cultural tensions in a truthful way one can create magic (like Amazon did last xmas which I was heavily involved with).

)

See that right there is a good ad. A little cheesy but good. The Pepsi ad (which probably cost 10 times as much) is fantastically crap. How the feck did it get signed off? What kind of people sat in a room and thought "yep, nailed it"? The mind boggles.

:lol: Bless. Kids are unbelievably self-centred. So you can see why she got the wrong end of the stick.

Apparently the thing is about her handing a protester a Pepsi.
Its now been pulled. Pathetic.
I could see how that might make someone feel unappreciated, to be fair. Couldn't even spend the extra 10p for a proper Coke.

Apparently the thing is about her handing a protester a Pepsi.
Its now been pulled. Pathetic.

See that right there is a good ad. A little cheesy but good. The Pepsi ad (which probably cost 10 times as much) is fantastically crap. How the feck did it get signed off? What kind of people sat in a room and thought "yep, nailed it"? The mind boggles.

I found this analysis interesting and probably on the money:

This is what happens when you don’t have enough people in leadership that reflect the cultures that you represent.
Somewhere in the upper levels where this commercial was approved, one of two things happened. Either there was not enough diversity — race, gender, lifestyle, age or otherwise — or worse, there was a culture that made people uncomfortable to express how offensive this video is.
Unfortunately for Pepsi, millennials have hyper-advanced B.S. detectors and they went off very quickly. Twitter has been merciless.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-make-millennials-hate-you-pepsi-way-eric-thomas

Next week: Kim Kardashian eases tension between North and South Korea by handing out Wotsits & telling both parties to 'chill'.

It was subtle as a sledgehammer.

Compared to the Pepsi ad it's a masterpiece. It's weird actually. 10 or 15 years ago I was a connoisseur of ads. Knew all of them. Could easily name a top 5. Now I genuinely couldn't name any ads unless they blow up on twitter, thanks to a sky box and the ability to fast forward. So maybe awful ads like that Pepsi one are the way forward?

One thing we can all agree on, surely is that it's an absolutely TERRIBLE ad. Pepsi always make shit ads. Only they could make an unwatchable ad that features all the best footballers in the world. And their drink tastes shit too. Coca Cola ftw.
I can't decide if it's pompous, misguided and just, well dull or massively inappropriate, ie forget police brutality or bombings in Aleppo, crack open a Pepsi and all's well with the world.

The Go Compare twat would've stopped Hitler.

Compared to the Pepsi ad it's a masterpiece. It's weird actually. 10 or 15 years ago I was a connoisseur of ads. Knew all of them. Could easily name a top 5. Now I genuinely couldn't name any ads unless they blow up on twitter, thanks to a sky box and the ability to fast forward. So maybe awful ads like that Pepsi one are the way forward?
They get noticed at least and ditto on fast forwarding them. Just use an inter-racial family or gay couple on your Cheerios ad and wait for the 'ramming it down our throats' youtube foul comment storm.

7nssHpY.png

Yeah but it's an ad, not a Tarkovsky film. Give sammsky credit Jip.
My wife likes it. I prefer things left to your own interpretation than my god, a priest and an imam are FRIENDS!. Hugs.
Sorry sammsky, but as I said, the hindu missus loved the sentiment.

What was that one recently where two blokes are running around some scenery with some whiskey and it turns out their mate died, that was good.

:lol: Fair enough.

subtle advertising doesn't work, not for the brand anyway. So I never recommend that approach to my clients.
It's odd. Our online editor (English, Sr Lankan origin) thought Gran Torino was an amazing, powerful film. I saw it as a passable, very blunt message-carrying film.

)

Top advert sammsky!

That's another sin of this shitshow. They make her look unattractive.
That link that was posted earlier supposedly showed her fingering her sister but the link wouldn't work on my phone:(

I can't decide if it's pompous, misguided and just, well dull or massively inappropriate, ie forget police brutality or bombings in Aleppo, crack open a Pepsi and all's well with the world.

Great advertising occurs when a brand benefit is shown solving a specific societal tension, executed to high production standards.

The reason most people will dislike it (knowingly or unknowingly) is because Pepsi lies in this ad. In the real world, a can of Pepsi contributes nothing to this situation. And yet Pepsi claims it does and tries to take the credit for achievements which actually belong to the people who participate in such demonstrations ... ie the 'millennial'. And God forbid a scorned millennial raging on the internet.

Pepsi tries to profit by association to a cultural movement it has no relationship too. Hence as, as you say, its inappropriate and misguided.

If Samsung, apple, Vodafone or Sprint made a similar ad and shown how their products enable such demonstrations, the reaction would have been 100% different as they play central roles in this story line.

Last edited:
Great advertising occurs when a brand benefit is shown solving a specific societal tension, executed to high production standards.

The reason most people will dislike it is because Pepsi lies in this ad. In the real world, a can of Pepsi contributes nothing in this situation. And Yet Pepsi claims it does in the ad. And so the brand tries to take the credit for something which belongs to the people who participate in such demonstrations. Hence as, as you say, its inappropriate and misguided. The brand tries to profit by association to a cultural movement it has no relationship too.

If Samsung, apple or Vodafone has made a similar ad and shown how their products enable such movements, the reaction would have been 100% different as they play central roles this story line.
Great post and interesting insight. Ad felt pompous- more playful stuff like say Paddypower or Virgin is much more likely to go viral in a good way though.

Whatsapp should've used 7/7 as proof of their secure connection for communications:wenger:

It's odd. Our online editor (English, Sr Lankan origin) thought Gran Torino was an amazing, powerful film. I saw it as a passable, very blunt message-carrying film.
you're obviously a cinematic sophisticate!

The reason most people will dislike it is because Pepsi lies in this ad. In the real world, a can of Pepsi contributes nothing in this situation. And Yet Pepsi claims it does in the ad. And so the brand tries to take the credit for something which belongs to the people who participate in such demonstrations. Hence as, as you say, its inappropriate and misguided. The brand tries to profit by association to a cultural movement it has no relationship too.

If Samsung, apple or Vodafone has made a similar ad and shown how their products enable such movements, the reaction would have been 100% different as they play central roles this story line.
It's basic misjudgement by Pepsi: recruiting a woman from a vastly wealthy family - infamous for doing practically nothing to merit their celebrity and riches, and who would advertise anthrax if the fee was right - undermines protest by cheapening rightful discontent. To numerous observers, someone like Kendall Jenner has no problems (at least, none that might move her to public protest) and associating her, of all people, as a 'comrade' of theirs solely by virtue of being young (as if protest is exclusively the province of the youthful) is insulting. It's all trivial and ingenuous, yes, but the ad's implications rightly piss people off; what the hell were Pepsi thinking?

Parklife etc.