The New Official Republic of Ireland Football Thread

Given that Helmir only got a 17 month deal, him having to lean on O’Shea and McCarthy for team selections would suggest a few wrinkles in the FAI’s masterplan.

Given that Helmir only got a 17 month deal, him having to lean on O’Shea and McCarthy for team selections would suggest a few wrinkles in the FAI’s masterplan.

I don't understand his appointment at all.

Kelleher is far too good to be a number 2 goalkeeper, have always said it.

Its also annoying he plays for Liverpool.

No idea why you played like that in the first half but showed you do actually have the players to make it a proper game in the second.

Ogbene thoroughly deserved his player of the match.

No idea why you played like that in the first half but showed you do actually have the players to make it a proper game in the second.

Ogbene thoroughly deserved his player of the match.
Get out.

A tough first game given the gulf in class between the sides.
This won't be what the new manager is judged on but we didn't help ourselves at times with lack of movement both on and off the ball.
I think we need to look beyond Coleman, Doherty and Brady going forward.

He’s a really good keeper. Surprised he’s not pushed more at Liverpool, especially now he’s been over looked yet again.

The fact they bought the Georgian keeper should have been his moment to seriously question how long hes willing to stay as a back up.

Kelleher
Bazanu
Collins
O’Brien
Ferguson
Idah
Parrott

Some good players/highly rated players in amongst then others like Cullen, O’Shea, Ogbene. Not bad. Surely some more can be done with this bunch? Or am I overrating them.

Of course Rice and Grealish would get on the scoresheet!

A sad state of affairs Irish football has become. They are almost unwatchable, even for the most die-hard fan.

Kelleher
Bazanu
Collins
O’Brien
Ferguson
Idah
Parrott

Some good players/highly rated players in amongst then others like Cullen, O’Shea, Ogbene. Not bad. Surely some more can be done with this bunch? Or am I overrating them.

We've a decent squad.
We've 10 players playing semi regularly in the PL and some good players playing elsewhere.

Kind of hoping some talent emerges from somewhere. We've lots of players knocking around Europe like Zefi also.

Tough watch. Let's see what Heimar comes up with for Greece. We were always up against it but didn't see any nuggets there from a coaching point of view to give me any more confidence for Tuesday. 3 days, I know.

Carsley still referring to Ireland as "we". The flag shaggers won't like that.
The flag shaggers are a minority given a platform by right wing press that makes them seem more important than they are. Feck them.

Shows are far we have fallen when I'm delighted we only lost two nil. Another generation away from challenging for qualification for a major tournament.

2018 World Cup and the influence of English agents on 2nd / 3rd generation potential Irish players has seriously damaged the talent pool.

92ql8o.jpg

We have to start grinding out results and improving our ranking so we get better group draws.
That probably requires playing the old guard.

Grinding out results is what Ireland have always been trying to do and relying on the same players who've been part of the sqaud for the last 10 years is not the way forward.

If you look at how much the likes of Georgia, Armenia, Albania etc have improved over the last 10 to 15 years, it shows what can be done when you stop focusing on trying to grind out wins and put the time and resources into finding and developing footballers.

Talent identification starts at u12 level once competitive soccer starts. But how it's done needs to be revamped, the FAI need a full team of scouts to go around the country to watch games and find players. The pathway is there, but in my area at least, how the players get picked to go forward is a joke.

Individual coaches pick the players from their teams they want to send to trials for league representative squads, (usually limited to a certain number per team), from these squads the players get picked up for the regional development squads. Coaches for these squads also tend to pick heavily from their own clubs. The whole system is full of nepotism and favouritism.

Now, I know of one young lad near me,
who I think is now on an Ireland u15/u16 squad. His own coach wasn't going to put him forward for the league trials and had to be pushed to do it (he was sending his own son though). This young lad is the only one of his age group to make it that far.

Like I said, the pathway is there, it's how the players get onto it that needs to be addressed.

Worst thing about this if you're an Irish fan is Pogue swanning in here later after a day of hunting with the chaps saying "I told you I had better things to do!".

Crazy how close that is to the truth. I watched the first half in Howth yacht club. Second half I was out at sea, trying to catch my dinner (unsuccessfully)

Reactions: moses
Two nice goals and we moved the ball a bit quicker than under Southgate.
Kobbie was a little bit sloppy...hopefully he is not picking up Casemiro's bad habits.

We've a decent squad.
We've 10 players playing semi regularly in the PL and some good players playing elsewhere.

Kind of hoping some talent emerges from somewhere. We've lots of players knocking around Europe like Zefi also.

Think Zefi is going to declare for Albania.

Optimism waned for me very fast into the match. It's gonna be another slog sadly. As an Irish, United, Dundalk fan I may just watch hockey or something.
You’re in for a treat here. We’re in the presence of Irish hockey royalty (in the over 50s arena).

Reactions: moses