The New Official Republic of Ireland Football Thread

What a load of compost

As ever there is some truth in it. Look at the quality of out squad qualifying for Euro 88, and I think only the Scotland game sold out. There was 17,000 at the Luxembourg qualifier in Lansdowne Road, a good chunk of which was there on the heavily subsidised £2 schoolboy tickets. I'd say a huge percentage of those in the ground were playing or played football.

Some wild takes in this thread today. I can say for a fact that there are a lot of Ireland fans who’ve been following football and rugby teams going back a long time through bad times and good. I know this because I’m one of them.

Support from kids will come and go. A successful team definitely increases their interest. Ireland fans are no different to anyone else in that regard.

Some wild takes in this thread today. I can say for a fact that there are a lot of Ireland fans who’ve been following football and rugby teams going back a long time through bad times and good. I know this because I’m one of them.

Support from kids will come and go. A successful team definitely increases their interest. Ireland fans are no different to anyone else in that regard.
I'm not talking about kids. I cannot give a spare ticket away today on what's app groups full of Man Utd and Liverpool fans, none of whom follow a rugby team, all of whom (nearly) will be at the All Blacks game on 8 Nov. I'm not sure how else to account for that other than what I've said here today.

I'm not talking about kids. I cannot give a spare ticket away today on what's app groups full of Man Utd and Liverpool fans, none of whom follow a rugby team, all of whom (nearly) will be at the All Blacks game on 8 Nov. I'm not sure how else to account for that other than what I've said here today.

Ok, I get what you mean. People can’t be arsed going to matches to watch a poor team get a hiding. That’s a fair observation. And I kind of don’t blame them? There’s a core of fans who won’t miss a match but I know I’ve got much better things to do on a gorgeous Saturday afternoon than buy an expensive ticket to watch England do a number on us at the Aviva. Which makes me a fairweather fan but I’m ok with that.

Absolutely, but look at the swell in popularity both sports took in short spaces. We are a tiny country so it's not really a controversial take that the core of zealots is quite small and lots will have interest that wanes when the fare is poor.

Also there are so many accessible forms of entertainment, what's trending will vary.

Ok, I get what you mean. People can’t be arsed going to matches to watch a poor team get a hiding. That’s a fair observation. And I kind of don’t blame them? There’s a core of fans who won’t miss a match but I know I’ve got much better things to do on a gorgeous Saturday afternoon than buy an expensive ticket to watch England do a number on us at the Aviva. Which makes me a fairweather fan but I’m ok with that.
Why are the tickets so expensive for Ireland matches anyway? Ok Ireland is a rip off for almost everything but friendlies against the Faroe islands shouldn't be 50 quid

I had a season ticket for the Aviva for 2 years and saw 1 goal in that time period. That was the end for me.

The vast majority of Irish sports fans are bandwagoners and nothing else, only interested when we are doing well. Soccer under Charlton was popular and the FAI or the standard of play was no better then. We are a terrible rugby team to watch but people are interested now. It's purely success.

Win today and win Tuesday and there'll be a lift, but it will have nothing to do with anything other than success.
We have all sorts of fans.Including bandwagoners & die hards.
Also you know nothing about rugby.

The vast majority of Irish sports fans are bandwagoners and nothing else, only interested when we are doing well. Soccer under Charlton was popular and the FAI or the standard of play was no better then. We are a terrible rugby team to watch but people are interested now. It's purely success.

Win today and win Tuesday and there'll be a lift, but it will have nothing to do with anything other than success.
Coleman, Brady and Doherty start. Christ we really should be moving on from them.
Beggars can't be choosers

Don't think I've ever such had an irrational hatred for a player like I do for Pickford.

Convincing young English lads they'll have more opportunities to play in your youth teams then when they turn out to be good enough to represent their nation rather than yours you boo them as if they are traitors. Nasty side of the Irish.

Convincing young English lads they'll have more opportunities to play in your youth teams then when they turn out to be good enough to represent their nation rather than yours you boo them as if they are traitors. Nasty side of the Irish.
It's a shame. Really unpleasant.

Another cracking stop for Kelleher.

The last thing Ireland want here is for this to become an end to end game.

Nice to see an Irishman on the scoresheet at the old Landsdowne Road.

Madness to persist with Coleman these days. He looks like he is running in custard. Great servant but there must be some young RB out there to try.

Aside from the standard of each team’s players, there’s not a lot between the two sides.

I think Jason Burt is right, Carsley should be sacked for not singing the national anthem.