The New Official Republic of Ireland Football Thread

Going with potential how is our lineup looking in the next few years

Kelleher
Ogbene O Brien Collins O Shea Brady
Moran Smallbone Cullen
Parrot Ferguson Szmodics

Someone help me out here, do we have a promising left back, can't think of anyone else to play here apart from Brady. Any other promising players that could break into the team soon?

Kelleher
Moran Smallbone Cullen
Parrot Ferguson Szmodics

Someone help me out here, do we have promising left back, can't think of anyone else to play here apart from Brady. Any other promising players that could break into the team soon?

Tayo Adaramola and Ryan Manning are left backs.

I think I'd switch Ogbene with Parrot and play Festy right back.

There's lots of talent scattered around Europe but hard to keep track.

Kevin Zefi is highly rated apparently.

Last edited:

Kelleher
Moran Smallbone Cullen
Parrot Ferguson Szmodics

Someone help me out here, do we have a promising left back, can't think of anyone else to play here apart from Brady. Any other promising players that could break into the team soon?

Sam Curtis or Festy Ebosele should get up to the level to take the right back slot regularly.

Left back pickings aren't great for Ireland, but looking around they aren't great for many other teams either. As the poster above points out you have Manning & Adaramola.

Hopefully in the forward areas you'll have Mason Melia keeping his trajectory on the up and developing into a good player.

Kelleher
Moran Smallbone Cullen
Parrot Ferguson Szmodics

I think midfield is our problem area and also we desperately need some creativity.
Maybe Moran's the answer.

I think midfield is our problem area and also we desperately need some creativity.
Maybe Moran's the answer.
Moran getting a hattrick of assists last night was good to see. O’Mahony scoring for Brighton as well.
Hopefully we nab a few granny-rule players to bridge the gap in the squad until some younger lads come through.

I hate even writing this. I find it so hard to watch Ireland the last few years that I don't even bother watching all the games. I'll watch highlights of every game and the odd full match depending who they're playing. When I was in college my mates and I would go to most of the matches and it got to a point where I was dreading because the football was awful and the atmosphere wasn't even great.

Is this wrong of me? I'm half Italian so the last 3 years of football have been tough. United, Ireland, Italy. Tough times, peeps! ha.

Squad seems very much the usual suspects, Brady and Coleman still knocking about.

On possible left backs, I wonder is anyone getting on to Cirkin at Sunderland? Born in Dublin to Latvian parents and has played underage for England...

Squad seems very much the usual suspects, Brady and Coleman still knocking about.

On possible left backs, I wonder is anyone getting on to Cirkin at Sunderland? Born in Dublin to Latvian parents and has played underage for England...
He chose to keep his powder dry while Kenny was manager so may not be interested.

Moran getting a hattrick of assists last night was good to see. O’Mahony scoring for Brighton as well.
Hopefully we nab a few granny-rule players to bridge the gap in the squad until some younger lads come through.

Cathal Sullivan in Cork city looks talented but is obviously very young.

Kevin Zefi might break through soon.

I think we can set up well defensively but lacking creativity and a goalscorer .

Question for the regular Academy watchers…how good is young Jacob?

I hate even writing this. I find it so hard to watch Ireland the last few years that I don't even bother watching all the games. I'll watch highlights of every game and the odd full match depending who they're playing. When I was in college my mates and I would go to most of the matches and it got to a point where I was dreading because the football was awful and the atmosphere wasn't even great.

Is this wrong of me? I'm half Italian so the last 3 years of football have been tough. United, Ireland, Italy. Tough times, peeps! ha.
It's not wrong. It's inevitable to a degree. I reckon it has waned for most people. At least with United the failure makes headlines and is all very dramatic. Ireland just fade into irrelevance for a lot of people who aren't really invested.

It's not wrong. It's inevitable to a degree. I reckon it has waned for most people. At least with United the failure makes headlines and is all very dramatic. Ireland just fade into irrelevance for a lot of people who aren't really invested.
It definitely has. One of the biggest problems Ireland has when it comes to Football, is that it's the second and sometimes the third priority sport.

For example. GAA takes over. When the GAA season is on, 4 or 5 lads on the footy team could miss the start of the season because they have more priority for the GAA. That's hurling and Gaelic football. That season ends just as the football begins. So lads have missed pre season football training and the first few games. I grew up and live in Ireland and I understand it completely. My point is it affects the development on football players over here.

A lot only play football but you'd find in most county's, the better football players actually play the GAA too. It could have something to do with being a better athlete because they do a lot more training etc.. They also understand instructions more (most cases) because they are involved in more things.

The biggest problem, however, I find, is the coaches. There is a lot of people who give their time and only for those people nothing would be organised and no team would field etc... However, the problem is a lot don't get coaching level badges or might only get the first level. Again, I am not criticising any coach who spends their time for their kid coaching their team. I'm merely just saying it does affect the development of players when they are young.

There's also a problem here (probably UK too) and the influence of alcohol and drugs. Ireland is just so small whereas UK has a lot more people.

That's just my pennyworth anyhow!

As someone with a foot in both camps, I really hope the Ireland team give England a good hard spanking, so the English FA have to actually look and find a decent Manager rather than repeat the same interim becomes full time manager spiel they did with Southgate.
Is that you, Lee? Declan? Wee Jack with the bulbous arse? Do your best, lads.

Just occurred to me. The way football has become such a cruel joke it’s kind of inevitable that Carsley, a former Ireland international, will lead England to their first major trophy in my lifetime. With a team featuring Declan Rice and Jack Grealish. His first game in charge - of course - giving Ireland a hiding in Dublin.

I think most Irish fans have lost interest. A big result here might renew some interest but there's a lot of work to do.

Genuinely forgot this was on until a mate texted the other day telling me that he got a ticket to the game.

Just occurred to me. The way football has become such a cruel joke it’s kind of inevitable that Carsley, a former Ireland international, will lead England to their first major trophy in my lifetime. With a team featuring Declan Rice and Jack Grealish. His first game in charge - of course - giving Ireland a hiding in Dublin.
I mean, if they are going to win a tournament at some stage, this might be the least worst way. We'd be able to claim a chunk of it :lol:

The parallel in rugby will be if we miss the boat on Ronan O'Gara choosing an international post and he went on to be great at that too.

I think most Irish fans have lost interest. A big result here might renew some interest but there's a lot of work to do.

A lot of people haven't lost interest in football, they've just lost interest in the national team and a large part of that is down to the FAI and their corruption and the shambolic state of soccer in this country. Add to that, the bullshit they tried with forcing fans to buy all 3 tickets for these games, because they thought England would be enough to sell it all out. It was a pure money grab. Absolute gowls is all they are.

I also think that most fans view this whole nations league pseudo competition as an unnecessary pile of shite and nobody cares about it either.

A lot of people haven't lost interest in football, they've just lost interest in the national team and a large part of that is down to the FAI and their corruption and the shambolic state of soccer in this country. Add to that, the bullshit they tried with forcing fans to buy all 3 tickets for these games, because they thought England would be enough to sell it all out. It was a pure money grab. Absolute gowls is all they are.

I also think that most fans view this whole nations league pseudo competition as an unnecessary pile of shite and nobody cares about it either.
Oh yeah, I meant the national team. And like you say the FAI have caused a lot of that

The vast majority of Irish sports fans are bandwagoners and nothing else, only interested when we are doing well. Soccer under Charlton was popular and the FAI or the standard of play was no better then. We are a terrible rugby team to watch but people are interested now. It's purely success.

Win today and win Tuesday and there'll be a lift, but it will have nothing to do with anything other than success.

The vast majority of Irish sports fans are bandwagoners and nothing else, only interested when we are doing well. Soccer under Charlton was popular and the FAI or the standard of play was no better then. We are a terrible rugby team to watch but people are interested now. It's purely success.

Win today and win Tuesday and there'll be a lift, but it will have nothing to do with anything other than success.

Whilst I agree that Ireland does have a love of the old bandwagon when it comes to football, it's the same for most football teams.

Newcastle, Villa, Celtic are few off the top of my head that you struggle to get a ticket for these days, but 5 years ago you would have had no problem for pretty much any game.

Whilst I agree that Ireland does have a love of the old bandwagon when it comes to football, it's the same for most football teams.

Newcastle, Villa, Celtic are few off the top of my head that you struggle to get a ticket for these days, but 5 years ago you would have had no problem for pretty much any game.
Goes further than football in Ireland - look at demand for All Ireland final tickets when stadiums are mostly empty all year. With football, we have gowls that show up for tournaments when we get there and proclaim us to be the best fans in the world, but wouldn't be seen dead at the Aviva.

I have a spare for today that I cannot give away - offered to loads of sports mad people at this stage. No interest because we have been shite.

The League of Ireland grounds are full every Friday. A large part of the lack of interest in attending Ireland games is to do with the price of tickets and also the poxy package deals the FAI do.

The League of Ireland grounds are full every Friday. A large part of the lack of interest in attending Ireland games is to do with the price of tickets and also the poxy package deals the FAI do.
210 quid for a decent season ticket is hardly extortion.

Take your point on League of Ireland though, that's great to see even my view is it needs a complete revamp.

It's nailed on. Eoin Morgan all over again.

Of course they are.

Nobody gave a shit about rugby in the 90s, they were all part of Jackies Army, now they've all moved over to rugby.

The football under Charlton was horrendous, given some of the players he had at his disposal. Probably one of the worst decisions the FAI ever made was picking him over Bob Paisley.

Of course they are.

Nobody gave a shit about rugby in the 90s, they were all part of Jackies Army, now they've all moved over to rugby.

The football under Charlton was horrendous, given some of the players he had at his disposal. Probably one of the worst decisions the FAI ever made was picking him over Bob Paisley.
Now that's a take. :lol:

Now that's a take. :lol:

Yeah, and it's a good one.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Jack's football inspired a generation of hoofball coaches and now we are seeing the net effect of trying to reverse that at all levels of the game.

It's fanciful to suggest Jack Grealish would take any part in a successful England team.

What a load of compost