The Nani Goal

Technically right, but morally wrong! There was clearly no advantage to be gained for Spurs there.

Hey ho, 2-0, 3 points and ive got Nani in my Fantasy team so il take the extra points!!
In what way would you not consider the keeper having the ball in his hands more advantageous than having a free kick in the six yard box?

In what way would you not consider the keeper having the ball in his hands more advantageous than having a free kick in the six yard box?

The keeper clearly didnt realise that it was advantage did he? The ref has admitted that he was playing advantage, therefore after what happened, he should have just given them the free kick.

Harry Redknapp believes Mark Clattenburg made 'one of the worst decisions ever' in allowing Nani's goal to stand on Saturday.

Nani scored after Tottenham keeper Huerelho Gomes believed a free-kick had been awarded for a clear handball by the Manchester United winger.

Nani struck home, giving United a 2-0 lead and sealing their win.

However, Clattenburg did not give the free kick against Nani, even after consultation with his linesman, and Redknapp was furious at the decision.

Writing in his column for The Sun, Redknapp said: 'Mark Clattenburg is responsible for one of the worst refereeing decisions EVER. And each time I watch it, it gets worse...

'I like Mark Clattenburg...but he knows he's cocked this one up...I know he has told people he should have blown his whistle and given a free-kick against Nani for handball.

'He has ruined my weekend - and the same applies to thousands of Spurs fans here and abroad. You spend so much time preparing for a big game like Manchester United away. Old Trafford is a hard enough place to go without simple decisions like this one going against you...

'I would never have dreamed in a million years we would be undone in the way we were... by one of the worst refereeing decisions of all time.

Despite previously saying it was not a decisive incident for the result of the game, Redknapp pointed the finger at the referee: 'Yes, I know we were losing 1-0 at the time. But who knows what could have happened in the final few minutes and then the time added on?

Redknapp blamed Clattenburg for the confusion before the goal: 'Even now I still can't get my head round it. As far as my goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes was concerned - and every one of my players - it was a free-kick.

'If any of my team had thought otherwise, they would have been shouting at Gomes: "Kick the ball away!" The referee had his hands by his side and was just shrugging his shoulders. Usually, if the ball's in play, the ref will shout to let you know.

'If, for instance, the ref thinks there's a backpass that wasn't deliberate, he'll make sure you know in no uncertain terms...All the referee had to do was blow his whistle and it resolves the situation.

'There was no advantage to my team, the ball was in our penalty area. How could that be advantageous? It wasn't like we were bombing forward into their half with a great chance of scoring an equaliser. No one could believe the ref played on.

'I was absolutely gobsmacked... and I still am. After a lifetime in the game, not many things still shock me. But this one did.'

And the Spurs boss is not expecting an apology: 'One thing you can be certain of is that the referees will stick together on this. But it's not right. They know a real mess was made of this situation. Wouldn't it be great if they actually held their hands up and admitted Clattenburg got it wrong?
'Don't hold your breath - you might keel over. I was listening to the radio yesterday when the former ref Alan Wiley came on. He tried to explain the situation but all he did was make excuses. I don't care what anybody says, it wasn't right in the spirit of the law.'

He makes it sound like the decision had a major impact on the game :lol:

In the press conference after the game Redknapp said it probably made no difference to the result. But the press won't report that as they want to build up the 'controversy'.

Harry Redknapp believes Mark Clattenburg made 'one of the worst decisions ever' in allowing Nani's goal to stand on Saturday.

Nani scored after Tottenham keeper Huerelho Gomes believed a free-kick had been awarded for a clear handball by the Manchester United winger.

Nani struck home, giving United a 2-0 lead and sealing their win.

However, Clattenburg did not give the free kick against Nani, even after consultation with his linesman, and Redknapp was furious at the decision.

Writing in his column for The Sun, Redknapp said: 'Mark Clattenburg is responsible for one of the worst refereeing decisions EVER. And each time I watch it, it gets worse...

'I like Mark Clattenburg...but he knows he's cocked this one up...I know he has told people he should have blown his whistle and given a free-kick against Nani for handball.

'He has ruined my weekend - and the same applies to thousands of Spurs fans here and abroad. You spend so much time preparing for a big game like Manchester United away. Old Trafford is a hard enough place to go without simple decisions like this one going against you...

'I would never have dreamed in a million years we would be undone in the way we were... by one of the worst refereeing decisions of all time.

Despite previously saying it was not a decisive incident for the result of the game, Redknapp pointed the finger at the referee: 'Yes, I know we were losing 1-0 at the time. But who knows what could have happened in the final few minutes and then the time added on?

Redknapp blamed Clattenburg for the confusion before the goal: 'Even now I still can't get my head round it. As far as my goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes was concerned - and every one of my players - it was a free-kick.

'If any of my team had thought otherwise, they would have been shouting at Gomes: "Kick the ball away!" The referee had his hands by his side and was just shrugging his shoulders. Usually, if the ball's in play, the ref will shout to let you know.

'If, for instance, the ref thinks there's a backpass that wasn't deliberate, he'll make sure you know in no uncertain terms...All the referee had to do was blow his whistle and it resolves the situation.

'There was no advantage to my team, the ball was in our penalty area. How could that be advantageous? It wasn't like we were bombing forward into their half with a great chance of scoring an equaliser. No one could believe the ref played on.

'I was absolutely gobsmacked... and I still am. After a lifetime in the game, not many things still shock me. But this one did.'

And the Spurs boss is not expecting an apology: 'One thing you can be certain of is that the referees will stick together on this. But it's not right. They know a real mess was made of this situation. Wouldn't it be great if they actually held their hands up and admitted Clattenburg got it wrong?
'Don't hold your breath - you might keel over. I was listening to the radio yesterday when the former ref Alan Wiley came on. He tried to explain the situation but all he did was make excuses. I don't care what anybody says, it wasn't right in the spirit of the law.'

What the? :lol::lol:

Yeah sure Harry but Gomes is not the one with the whistle now is he?

Oh really, that's news to me Harry...last time I checked the referee will let you know if it's a freekick, else play on...

Uh, 'Arry, even if he gave the freekick Gomes set the ball at least 10 yards ahead of where it should've been taken, what other advantage did you still want?

You weren't that gobsmacked after the Fulham incident were you 'Arry?

And I'll tell what wasn't right Harry, Gomes' idiocy for not following the most basic rule in football: PLAY TO THE WHISTLE!.

Finally got round to watching it. Gomez just tried to award himself a free kick nowhere near where the handball took place. It's entirely the fault of the keeper and he should be taking the flak for it.

Uh, no lad, Harry actually wrote that himself!

Usually the way these things work is that he has a quick chat with a journo on the phone and they write up something based on it (and make it as SENSATIONAL! as they can). Redknapps not slaving away on his laptop!

Anyway, he'd be correct to say that the second goal killed the game and they would still have been in with a chance at 1-0. But his quotes at the press conference were to the effect that it was a very small chance. I don't see that being reported anywhere.

disappointed with Harry there as his post match comments were generally along the lines of 'it made little difference to the result tbh' whereas now he's coming out with the whole 'we wuz robbed, the big boys get all the decisions innit' schitck

thats not to say he's got no reason to feel aggrieved, it just seems like a complete U-turn purely for sensationalist purposes

This thread has a lot more posts than Nani's own thread...

Shit, I just added to it as well by saying that.

If Spurs weren't such a pathetic team I could take their bitching seriously. If they had scored a goal on Saturday, fair enough, they have a valid complaint. If they'd drawn 2-2 or lost 3-2 in that 5-2 game, again, they'd have a valid argument, but this - seizing on any poor decision and using it as an excuse for losing by multiple goals - it's just embarrassing.

Tottenham Hotspur's blame game masks flaws against Manchester United
• Harry Redknapp uses referee as scapegoat for defeat
• Keeper made 'total mess' of Nani goal, says Sir Alex Ferguson

Harry Redknapp had to pull himself back from the brink of combustion. He used words such as "scandalous" and "farcical" and for 10 minutes, as he took us through Manchester United's second goal, it felt as if little puffs of toxic smoke would start billowing from his ears. His audience looked back through sceptical eyes. One chap on the second row asked if he would have thought it was a goal if a Tottenham player had scored it. "You must be from Manchester?" Redknapp asked. "Carlisle, actually," came the reply.

After all the finger-pointing and mud-slinging, Redknapp had succeeded only in demonstrating that the post-match press conference is not always a good time to listen to managers if you want to hear common sense. Emotions are raw, especially when a team have lost. The Spurs manager, with a succession of pointed barbs and heavy sighs, went for the fallback option, of holding the referee responsible.

The problem for Redknapp is that when a manager is apportioning blame like this he has to make a sound case for the prosecution – cold logic, if you like, rather than hot air. Blaming the referee can otherwise be an awful cop out, the default setting of every riled manager and biased fan. These days there are enough television cameras and angles inside every Premier League stadium to see straight through it. The harsh reality for Tottenham is that, as unorthodox and complicated as it was, a simple breakdown of Nani's goal reveals that only one man was to blame: Heurelho Gomes. As Sir Alex Ferguson said: "This is an experienced goalkeeper and he made a total mess of it."

Gomes had assumed that a free-kick had been awarded because Nani, after tumbling in the penalty area, had stopped the ball with his hand as he landed on the floor. The Brazilian goalkeeper may not have known the old English saying about the word "assume" – it can make an ass out of u and me. When Gomes put the ball on the floor Nani appeared, pantomime-like, from behind him to knock it into an unguarded net.

So why did Mark Clattenburg not award a free-kick? Simple: the ball had run through to the goalkeeper so he let play continue on the basis that it would suit Gomes more to have it in his hands than as a dead-ball. The referee was, in short, playing the advantage rule.

"Roles reversed, I'd have reacted like Spurs but when the dust settles, Nani wasn't in the wrong if the ref never blew up," said the United defender Rio Ferdinand. "We're all taught to play to the whistle. The ref never blew his whistle ... so play on."

Tottenham's winless sequence away to United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal now stretches to 68 games. To put it another way, they have taken 20 points from 204 against the so-called Big Four. They have not won at Old Trafford for 21 years and amid all the protests it should not be overlooked that they were losing when Nani rolled the ball into the net, six minutes from the end of normal time.

By then Tottenham, who had been marginally the better side in an open first half, had started to run out of ideas. Aaron Lennon had stopped getting behind Patrice Evra on the right and Rafael van der Vaart had gone off with a hamstring strain, an injury that comes at the wrong time, with a Champions League tie against Internazionale at White Hart Lane tomorrow. Redknapp is blessed with creative players but Van der Vaart's absence is a significant setback when put in the context of the way he dictated long spells of this match.

Ferguson's men could regard themselves as lucky to have been ahead at half-time, Nemanja Vidic having flashed a 31st-minute header past Gomes from Nani's free-kick, but they were threatened only sporadically after the break. Nani has legitimate claims to be the best winger in the country, far removed from the player who used to bewilder the Old Trafford crowd. Michael Carrick and Park Ji-Sung played as though affronted by recent criticisms of their performances. Rafael da Silva was assigned a difficult job, subduing Gareth Bale, and he did so without any of the mistakes that have blighted previous performances.

But this was a game that will be remembered for only one moment. After the final whistle, Redknapp had to go on the pitch to direct his players away from Clattenburg. Footballers love the blame game and shifting responsibility from themselves, but the truth of the matter was completely different. Spurs lost this game because, in the second half, they did not pass the ball as well as they passed the buck.

Tottenham Hotspur's blame game masks flaws against Manchester United | Football | The Guardian

Harry, please read this.

And this:

The moment Nani became great

Mon Nov 01 08:52AM

Early Doors has never been a big fan of Nani.

There has always been an assumption that he was the natural heir to Cristiano Ronaldo - and in fairness the two have plenty in common.

They come from the same country, play in a similar position, are both (reasonably) two-footed, possess lavish skills and throw themselves on the floor a lot.

But to focus on those superficialities ignores the reality that Ronaldo is a once in a generation talent while Nani, frankly, isn't. He has always seemed inconsistent, selfish and lacking the vision and intelligence that made Ronaldo's conversion from winger to striker so smooth.

However, ED is starting to wonder if it has misjudged Nani after his goal against Tottenham on Saturday.

If you haven't seen it, have a butcher's here (it's near the end).

Basically Nani had a (decent) penalty shout turned down, but grabbed the ball as he went to ground.

The linesman flagged for handball but referee Mark Clattenburg allowed play to continue (either because he hadn't seen the offence of because Spurs keeper Heurelho Gomes already had the ball).

Gomes put the ball on the ground in front of him as if to take a free-kick and Nani simply knocked it into the net.

Controversy raged, but the goal stood. Graham Poll actually does a very good job of breaking down the incident in today's Daily Mail (not a sentence ED thought it would ever write).

It might have been a simple piece of opportunism, but these kinds of controversial goals always tend to be scored by great players.

While everyone else is arguing about the rules, these players have already taken advantage of them.

Last week Cristiano Ronaldo himself caused controversy when he exploited a loophole in the offside law so big Ann Widdecombe could foxtrot through it.

Playing for Real Madrid last week, Ronaldo was roughly 20 yards beyond the last outfield defender at all times, but was behind Mesut Ozil when the German crossed, and tapped in unmarked. By the (very silly) letter of the law, it was a different phase of play, so a valid goal.

That old chestnut used to be a favourite of Ruud van Nistelrooy - proof that while the pair bickered like an old married couple at Manchester United, Ronaldo learnt a thing or two from his ex-colleague.

Long before the Hand of Frog, Thierry Henry was creating pieces of controversial magic.

Poll was the referee when Henry scored a quickly-taken free-kick, although his majestic nicking the ball off Brad Friedel as the keeper prepared to clear was chalked off on the deeply bogus grounds that throwing the ball up and kicking it are considered all one action.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer also had an effort like this disallowed.

And, of course, arguably the most controversial goal ever was scored by arguably the best player ever, Diego Maradona.

The point is, it takes a player of special talent to have the imagination and brass neck to do the unexpected, and to push the boundaries of the game (granted, by this definition Dion Dublin and Gary Crosby are also 'great' players).

Nani might just have come of age as a footballer.

- - -

QUOTE OF THE DAY

Harry Redknapp's take: "Mark Clattenburg is responsible for one of the worst refereeing decisions EVER. And each time I watch it, it gets worse. It was laughable the way it happened - and he knows it himself. I like Mark Clattenburg. He is a good, honest guy and a good referee - but he knows he's cocked this one up. He's had a nightmare. I know he has told people he should have blown his whistle and given a free-kick against Nani for handball."

ED's take: "Heurelho Gomes is responsible for one of the worst goalkeeping errors EVER. And each time I watch it, it gets worse. It was laughable the way it happened - and he knows it himself. I like Gomes. He is a good, honest guy and a good keeper - but he knows he's cocked this one up. He's had a nightmare. I know he has told people he should have played to the flipping whistle and not assumed the ref had given a free-kick against Nani for handball.

ED's take: "Heurelho Gomes is responsible for one of the worst goalkeeping errors EVER. And each time I watch it, it gets worse. It was laughable the way it happened - and he knows it himself. I like Gomes. He is a good, honest guy and a good keeper - but he knows he's cocked this one up. He's had a nightmare. I know he has told people he should have played to the flipping whistle and not assumed the ref had given a free-kick against Nani for handball.

Correct, first rule of football is playing to the whistle.

The real feck up in that sequence of events was not giving a pen when Nani was blatantly hauled back in the box. Yer man had hold of him with both frigging hands ffs.

If Clattenburg got that right he'd have saved himself a real headache.

Correct.

Redknapp should feel lucky that one of his only fit central defenders (Kaboul) wasn't given a second yellow card for giving away the penalty and therefore suspended. Would he prefer that, with suspension and penalty and likely goal to follow, or to lose 2-0 anyway? I think he'll know the answer and so do we.

You got to play to the whistle, simple. If it happen against us i would be angry but if no whistle then , players should be aware

Not to mention the ball is in play, which makes time wasting impossible.

If the ball was dead and he was standing there waiting ages to put it into play then maybe.

All this has reminded me of the Giggs goal from a few years back, against Lille/Lyon (can't remember which).

The quick free-kick he took, that caused all the opposition players to storm off and refuse to come back on for a bit.

All this has reminded me of the Giggs goal from a few years back, against Lille/Lyon (can't remember which).

The quick free-kick he took, that caused all the opposition players to storm off and refuse to come back on for a bit.

That was clever from him but I din't exactly like that. It's the kind of thing I used to hate Henry for.

If you watch carefully, you can see Gomez is up against an invisible barrier just after he throws the ball a few feet ahead which stops him from kicking the ball or even picking it up. You can see his disbelief and shock when Nani crosses into this anti-human matter barrier, you can freeze-frame it and see at one point his brain actually takes a shit. When Nani positions himself over the ball, Gomez is at the point of no return, and defenseless against anti-human air-patch barriers, he can do nothing to stop him.

Another thought, shouldn't Gomez also have been booked for time wasting as he placed the ball down, in play, and waited for ages to do anything with it. I thought Goalkeepers are not allowed to do that.

It's only time wasting if he's holding the ball in his hands. If it's on the floor in open play, any one can wander over and kick the ball in the net, and run about with his tongue out...

If you watch carefully, you can see Gomez is up against an invisible barrier just after he throws the ball a few feet ahead which stops him from kicking the ball or even picking it up. You can see his disbelief and shock when Nani crosses into this anti-human matter barrier, you can freeze-frame it and see at one point his brain actually takes a shit. When Nani positions himself over the ball, Gomez is at the point of no return, and defenseless against anti-human air-patch barriers, he can do nothing to stop him.

It's true. Watch as he runs up to the ball and puts his hands out against the invisible barrier. He then steps back so that he can take a run up and smash through the blockage, just before Nani switches off the invisible shield and knocks it in.

I'm pretty sure there's nothing in the rules about using invisible force-fields to shield the ball, but it's certainly against the spirit of the game.

It's true. Watch as he runs up to the ball and puts his hands out against the invisible barrier. He then steps back so that he can take a run up and smash through the blockage, just before Nani switches off the invisible shield and knocks it in.

I'm pretty sure there's nothing in the rules about using invisible force-fields to shield the ball, but it's certainly against the spirit of the game.

Shit, I hadn't spotted that.

It's the same invisible bar as Berba swung on to score the winner against Liverpool, and that VDS banged his head on against West Brom.

Somebody ought to do something about that...

I'm still quite annoyed about Wes' sumptous scooped pass getting ignored in all the hullabaloo.

If Scholes had done that, it would have earned a thread of it's own.

What happened is, Clattenburg decided he wouldn't give a penalty. The potential for Wes' own thread started dying off from there and we ended up here.

with Redknapp saying..."it wasn't right in the spirit of the law"...he is more or less admitting he's talking utter horse shit.

It's now official. Neither Nani nor Clattenburg did anything wrong.

The Professional Game Match Officials Board said the referee acted within the rules when allowing their second goal.

According to the PGMOB, Tottenham goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes was at fault for failing to interpret signals and assuming Clattenburg had awarded a free-kick after Nani had handled the ball, when in fact he had not stopped play and had given Spurs the advantage to play on.

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | Sport | Football

:lol:

Alan Green on 606 was making a right tit of himself banging on about how Clattenburg had dropped a clanger, but admitting that he ruled correctly.

Apparently the linesman was giving him a 'get out' by putting up his flag, which he should have taken (and thereby broken the actual laws of the game) so that United did not have a goal awarded.

"Common sense" apparently is the logic behind chalking off perfectly good goals scored by Manchester United due to a mistake by the opposition. No such claims were made with Kuyt/Sunderland, I do believe.

:lol:

Alan Green on 606 was making a right tit of himself banging on about how Clattenburg had dropped a clanger, but admitting that he ruled correctly.

Apparently the linesman was giving him a 'get out' by putting up his flag, which he should have taken (and thereby broken the actual laws of the game) so that United did not have a goal awarded.

"Common sense" apparently is the logic behind chalking off perfectly good goals scored by Manchester United due to a mistake by the opposition. No such claims were made with Kuyt/Sunderland, I do believe.

Wait, Alan Green is Peterstorey?!