The Nani Goal

Let me put it more simply.. ( christ this is hard work )

The ref ( as he saw it ) applied the laws and he did it spot on. His decision was spot on given the information he had.

However, it was a blatant handball. There should have been a free kick given, which wasnt. From that confusion we scored.

We got lucky but we did not deserve that goal, and its a goal that we should not have been awarded if we apply the same standards that we expect in every game.

Just because a decision went our way it doesnt make that decision right, nor does it mean we deserved it. It means we got lucky.

Spurs have every right to feel aggrieved, as everyone of us would be if that had happened to us.

I just happen to have the dignity to appreciate when we get lucky and dont parade around trying to justify bad decisions just because they go our way. I respect the fact we benefitted from something that we didn't deserve

Right - but why should they feel more agrieved about the missed handball than we should about the missed penalty?

They say these things balance each other out... I don't know if it's normally true, but in this case thye did indeed, in the space of sceonds.

As you rightly say, it's just another bad decision out of dozens every weekend. But do you see "United robbed of penalty" plastered all over the headlines?

At the end of the day:

We scored a valid goal.

Prior to that the ref missed a handball.

Prior to that the ref missed a penalty.

3 individual issues, each of which wouldn't have occurred without the previous one. There's no way you can pick and chose which you think should be taken into account and which shouldn't.

It's not even like the traditional "goal scored after ref misses handball" (eg Henry)... the goal didn't come as a result of the handball, but as a result of Gomez being a Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime.

This isn't true, Redknapp confirmed immediately after the game the ref told him he'd played advantage. To which Redknapp moaned why didn't Nani get booked for the handball, an argument blown out of the water with a simple glance at the rulebook

I wonder what Redknapp would have said if Gomes had kicked the ball upfield straight to Crouch, or whoever, with a decent chance to have an attempt on goal - and then blown for the ball to come back for a free kick in the 6 yard box just so he could book Nani.

I think we can all guess it would be something like "The ref should have allowed us advantage as we were through on goal". He actually allowed them the advantage and Gomes had plenty of time to get the ball upfield. Gomes chose not to use this advantage, for whatever reason, but there was nothing wrong in Nani putting the ball in the net as it was still live.

I'm no fan of Clattenburg (not since that still unbelievable display in the Merseyside derby the other year) but his big mistake yesterday was not giving the cast-iron penalty. Whether we would have scored from it is irrelevant but it would have been the right decision. And we wouldn't still be talking about this bizarre goal.

If it was a free kick, why did Gomes put the ball down about 10 yards ahead of where the handball took place?

I wonder what Redknapp would have said if Gomes had kicked the ball upfield straight to Crouch, or whoever, with a decent chance to have an attempt on goal - and then blown for the ball to come back for a free kick in the 6 yard box just so he could book Nani.

I think we can all guess

I think we can indeed

The ref can't win either way, he'll be accused of bias at OT to the home side

The ridiculous thing about all this is that there was a shocking decision in the Premier League which changed a game this weekend, it came at Everton when Tuncay had his perfectly legal goal ruled out at 0-0. And yet all the column inches are full of this

Everyone wants to talk about us :devil:

Actually I think the ref. was right. Nani handed the ball, the linesman spotted it, the ref. didn't or did but gave the advantage for Tottenham .

The linesman was telling the ref. that Nani handed the ball, but since the ref. waved play on with Tottenham and Gomes already having the ball, he couldn't back from that decision I presume. It's like giving the advantage for the team only for this team to screw it up immediately.

Harsh for Tottenham and Gomes, but I think the goal stands according to the book.

Think this is about right. Clattenburg played advantage when Gomes picked the ball up so he could clear it out of his hands - that is an advantage. He doesn't seem to have made that clear although Nani picked up on it - he even looked at the ref to ask permission to play the ball! Gomes was just a bit slow to see what was going on, he still had chance to clear it before Nani slotted it home.

Bit harsh on Spurs if the boot was on the other foot we'd be well pissed off... but funny as feck.. and another fine finish from Nani :lol:

MOTD last night pointed out that Clattenburg was the ref for that Roy Carroll clearing from two yards behind the line 'goal' incident.. when everyone in the Stretford could see it had crossed the line at the Scoreboard End! Cue conspiracy theorists...

If that goal happened AGAINST United we'd all be livid.

You're probably right, just seeing the Tottenham fans proves this, we're just like them at the end of the day, Football Fans.

I do however think it's one of those cases where alot of fans are arguing blind that it is a ridiculous decision and they are so hard done by when in reality, a little voice in the back of their head is telling them they can't really complain, it was obviously Gomes' fault.

If it was a free kick, why did Gomes put the ball down about 10 yards ahead of where the handball took place?

This is the point that everyone has missed!

1. Nani was pulled back in the box
2. Nani then fell down like a wet rag doll
3. Nani then handled the ball
4. No free kick was given and Gomes picked up the ball
5. Gomes walked five yards forward and then threw the ball a further five yards ahead
6. Clattenburg had not blown his whistle
7. Nani ran to the ball and put it into the net
8. The referee gives the goal.

On Point 1 it should have been a penalty

On Point 2 the ref 'could have given a free-kick

On Point 3 the ref 'could' have given a free-kick

On Point 4 and 5, if Gomes thought it was a free-kick why did he put the ball ten yards ahead of the incident, in effect he was cheating!

You can't have it both ways!

Given all of this I would be unhappy if we had conceded in this fashion.

This isn't true, Redknapp confirmed immediately after the game the ref told him he'd played advantage......
Watch the replay of the incident again. I assure you the ref never saw tha handball. It is his lines man who did and let it go as an advantage to Spurs. Redknapp is just wrong on more than just the rules.

Watch the replay of the incident again. I assure you the ref never saw tha handball. It is his lines man who did and let it go as an advantage to Spurs. Redknapp is just wrong on more than just the rules.

He might not know the rules, but I'm sure he isn't making up the fact Clattenberg told him he'd played advantage Rubberman

On the replay when Nani handles it Clattenberg is out of shot no?

I think the aspect of this were there is legitimate cause for complaint is the way Clattenberg handles the protesters, sending the Spurs players away, but allowing Rio to stay. Doesn't look good

Bollocks. The Caf would go into meltdown and we'd all be calling for Clattenberg's head.

Try and see from the Spurs supporters point of view.

We were 1 nil up anyway, and Spurs did not look like scoring at all. I could understand all the hoopla if that Nani goal was the winner, but it wasn't.

Yes we'd be pissed, like we were last season when the ref allowed Bolton to take a corner when van der Sar wasn't even in his goal. But life goes on.

I remember arguing there was nothing wrong with it, and that Van Der Sar should have been more savvy

But hey, lets just blindly assume we're all sheep and would be outraged at this bitter injustice if it was the other way round :rolleyes:

I think some of the self appointed thought police of the Caf should stick to just talking about their own opinions, and not the imagined views in a hypothetical situation about everyone here, passed off as certain fact

Bollocks. The Caf would go into meltdown and we'd all be calling for Clattenberg's head.

I don't want to try and see it from a biased point of view where the rules prove you to be wrong and have no basis for this view in the first place.

In any situation I'd rather look at the logical and correct view than the biased emotive one based on nothing.

The Spurs point of view is wrong - they feel hard done by for not getting something they were never entitled to in the first place. All the rules of the game show them to be wrong, they just are making noise because they don't like it.

We were 1 nil up anyway, and Spurs did not look like scoring at all. I could understand all the hoopla if that Nani goal was the winner, but it wasn't.

Reminds me of all the kerfuffle over the iffy penalty when Carrick was taken down at Old Trafford. You'd swear it was a last-minute winner in a tight one nil, instead of just one of FIVE goals we put past them.

Ah whatever, give it to them.

Congratulations Spurs, you lost 1-0.

...and I'd like to add that the Spurs supporters can feck off if they think that the second "goal" killed their chances of winning/drawing the game, as Elvis pointed out earlier, Spurs never looked like scoring in the 2nd half.

He might not know the rules, but I'm sure he isn't making up the fact Clattenberg told him he'd played advantage Rubberman
I disagree. I think he misunderstood what the ref told him. The advantage play Spurs had came from the linesman. Gomes just killed it terribly with his gaffe.

On the replay when Nani handles it Clattenberg is out of shot no?
On the channel I watched the game from, there was an other angle they showed us of the entire 18 yard box. As Nani was handling the ball you could see clearly Scholes and Clattenberg having a chat, I suspect over the denied penalty. Then when he looks back at play Gomes is with the ball placing it in to space 5 yards ahead then Gomes runs away from the ball. that is why when Nani pounces on it he motioned to the ref to see if the play was really dead as Gomes was already complaining. The rest is history.

Reminds me of all the kerfuffle over the iffy penalty when Carrick was taken down at Old Trafford. You'd swear it was a last-minute winner in a tight one nil, instead of just one of FIVE goals we put past them.

We looked very poor until the point we were awarded the peno. Certainly not like a team that were going to go on and hammer them. It's impossible to know either way, but hindsight makes that penalty seem less important than it might have been.

I don't want to try and see it from a biased point of view where the rules prove you to be wrong and have no basis for this view in the first place.

In any situation I'd rather look at the logical and correct view than the biased emotive one based on nothing.

The Spurs point of view is wrong - they feel hard done by for not getting something they were never entitled to in the first place. All the rules of the game show them to be wrong, they just are making noise because they don't like it.

Partly true.

They are aggrieved because of the perception that they get nothing but bum decisons at Old Trafford going back to the Mendez "goal", the penalty decison that got us back into the game when we were 2-0 down a couple of seasons back and a couple more. As a fan you begin to believe the conspiracy theories when that happens.

Spurs are their own worst enemy when it comes to playing away against the "big four". Sixty eight aways in the Premiership and 48 losses tell a sorry tale of ineptitude, a lack of self belief and bad organisation when it comes to playing the top teams

Surely linesmen don't play advantage? They signal for an offence to the referee who decided whether or not play should continue?

If the linesman doesn't put his flag up for handball that teh ref dint see. What else could we call it?:confused:

Poor judgement by the assistant referee. If the offence was worth putting his flag up for fifteen seconds after the handball once Gomes had had a brain fart, he surely should have done so at the time of the handball.

We looked very poor until the point we were awarded the peno. Certainly not like a team that were going to go on and hammer them. It's impossible to know either way, but hindsight makes that penalty seem less important than it might have been.

Doesn't matter. Spurs were still 2-1 up, still winning, and then went to complete pieces.

If it had been 2-2, or even if we'd won 3-2, then Spurs might have had a case... but 5-2, I'm sorry, that's their own fault completely, a massive meltdown, you concede 5 goals - 4 of them perfectly legitimate - you deserve to lose.

Not the point really, Spurs had been in our penalty area once in the second half when Bale went on that run and we defended it pretty well and forced him to shoot from wide, he put it two and a half yards past the post. That was the closest they came to equalising. Sure the Nani goal killed it but they weren't looking like scoring - we were staying solid and looking for a break to kill it. I don't think they'd have scored, best defensive performance of the season in my view and against the best team to come to Old Trafford this season too.

[Edit] just realised you were talking about a different game.. but still my comment stands about yesterday!

I'm always relieved when Plan M rocks up to tell us all how we do/should think, it saves a lot of effort.

...and you would be there saying "imagine if it was the other way round and we'd scored the goal".

Just because Spurs fans may see it differently, doesn't make them right.

Doesn't matter. Spurs were still 2-1 up, still winning, and then went to complete pieces.

If it had been 2-2, or even if we'd won 3-2, then Spurs might have had a case... but 5-2, I'm sorry, that's their own fault completely, a massive meltdown, you concede 5 goals - 4 of them perfectly legitimate - you deserve to lose.

I'm not disagreeing. Of course they deserved to lose the way things worked out. My point is simply that circumstances may not have unfolded the way they did had we not been given a fortunate penalty when we were. And for that I think they're well within their rights to feel hard done by (about the decision). Conceding a goal like that at OT when you've been the better side would undoubtedly knock the stuffing out of a team. After that everything is conjecture.