The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
But we're losing far more than his compensation fee if we keep him. Morale is at an all time low with the players and I suspect the staff as well. More importantly (for the Glazers/Ed) he's doing untold damage to our reputation. Surely the sponsors are not liking this? Who wants their product associated with negativity all the time, which is exactly what we get once Jose's face appears before he even opens his toxic mouth.
This is the truly most puzzling bit. All the compensation figures that've been bandied about fall far short of the loss we are now bound to incur for missing out on CL football (barring winning the damn thing, we're not going to make it - no club has ever clawed back this deficit). The damage to the brand is astounding too. Then there is the fact that no player that values his own brand and status will want to join (money alone begets only mercenaries) and our current remaining top players will want out sooner rather than later with Mou in charge.

Ed is an intelligent guy, so I just can't fathom what he's doing by doing nothing. Any Finance person should be able to assess the loss to Man United's enterprise value in the current situation and the foremost rules of finance include "stop-loss", "protect the balance sheet" and "focus on Enterprise Value at all times". So it's not just that it makes footballing sense to ditch Mou, but it also makes financial sense in every possible manner.

This is the truly most puzzling bit. All the compensation figures that've been bandied about fall far short of the loss we are now bound to incur for missing out on CL football (barring winning the damn thing, we're not going to make it - no club has ever clawed back this deficit). The damage to the brand is astounding too. Then there is the fact that no player that values his own brand and status will want to join (money alone begets only mercenaries) and our current remaining top players will want out sooner rather than later with Mou in charge.

Ed is an intelligent guy, so I just can't fathom what he's doing by doing nothing. Any Finance person should be able to assess the loss to Man United's enterprise value in the current situation and the foremost rules of finance include "stop-loss", "protect the balance sheet" and "focus on Enterprise Value at all times". So it's not just that it makes footballing sense to ditch Mou, but it also makes financial sense in every possible manner.
It puzzles me too. I don't understand it. Unless, the Glazers are in the process of selling United, and they don't give a shit. Otherwise, it makes no sense.

It puzzles me too. I don't understand it. Unless, the Glazers are in the process of selling United, and they don't give a shit. Otherwise, it makes no sense.

If they were doing that they would want to keep the brand as strong as possible to keep value on the sale though, surely?

If they were doing that they would want to keep the brand as strong as possible to keep value on the sale though, surely?

On the other hand tanking the share price makes it easier for them to buyback control into the club and profit more from a sale. If someone like the UAE is involved, the price is going to inflated no matter where we are in the league table.

It is strange we've just sat there week after week watching millions go down the drain. Now if we lose in the week then top 4 is absolutely dead in early december, obviously it's dead with this manager regardless but a new guy could have rescued it. Ridiculous we've allowed this situation, it's not like no one could see it coming.

Because the Club wants to wait until it is mathematically impossible to reach 4th place before they take action. Like always. To save that few million pounds of not having to compensate the manager.

If i remember correctly it was Ranieri's Leicester side got Jose sacked his second time at Chelsea a few years back aswell.. I remember thinking at the time it was ironic because Chelsea had sacked Ranieri to bring in Jose all them years ago. haha

Ranieri is the Mourinho slayer. The hero we need right now :drool:

At least now Mourinho is topping one table after Hughes sacking. The bookies odds for next manager to leave in the premiership. Come on Woodward make it happen.

See someone with sense. If we are waiting for summer for our new permanent manager that is perfectly fine. A caretaker manager for the rest of the season is better than letting Jose destroy the team further. Results might not improve but morale and entertainment will!

Yep I'm with you. I could see that Giggs was biting his toungue with some of the stuff that LVG served up at times. He was not Impressed with LVG and his philosophy and had no real input into it. Having Carrick and/or Mckenner take over as temporary managers would almost certainly, in my opinion change the style of football, change the mentality of the players, and would turn things around for the better for the remainder of the season. Something that im sure that they are capable of doing. Their footballing style would be very different from Joses I'm sure of that!

The fact that the change isn't being Implemented shows a real problem with the hierarchy and their ways. Maybe the Glazers are holding Woody back from sacking Jose midseason and in that scenario, i actually feel for Woody as he's getting alot of abuse for something out of his control.

It seems like the best thing to do right now for our club. Our season is still salvageable (top 4 and maybe a cup run) and some of our most important players need assurances of their futures. Im positive that De Gea and Martial amoung others won't be signing new contracts until they get these assurances of the next manager as well as decent funding to improve the squad etc.

It seems like the best thing to do right now for our club. Our season is still salvageable (top 4 and maybe a cup run) and some of our most important players need assurances of their futures. Im positive that De Gea and Martial amoung others won't be signing new contracts until they get these assurances of the next manager as well as decent funding to improve the squad etc.

Top 4 is dead and gone unless we go on a run to make history. No team has ever clawed back the kind of deficit we're facing to fourth from this point in the season. It'd be the first time ever that a club made up this kind of gap - and given the way the teams ahead are going, it will take a massive run of wins for us, combined with losses for them, for us to make it. I just don't see it happening. We need to beat both Arsenal and Liverpool (away) within the next fortnight (apart from Ranieri-led Fulham), to even stay in touch with the Top 4 (or hope that Spurs lose to Soton and Burnley). That's the magnitude of the task we face. And with all due respect to Young Boys, a team that huffed and puffed like we did to beat them (at home) is just not inspiring me as the one to complete this task.

Sacking Jose now is literally about saving the club's image and reputation. We are quickly becoming a laughing stock. I loved it when we were hated for being the winners that we were. Now though, people are either derisory or giving us pity. It kills me.

Yep I'm with you. I could see that Giggs was biting his toungue with some of the stuff that LVG served up at times. He was not Impressed with LVG and his philosophy and had no real input into it. Having Carrick and/or Mckenner take over as temporary managers would almost certainly, in my opinion change the style of football, change the mentality of the players, and would turn things around for the better for the remainder of the season. Something that im sure that they are capable of doing. Their footballing style would be very different from Joses I'm sure of that!

The fact that the change isn't being Implemented shows a real problem with the hierarchy and their ways. Maybe the Glazers are holding Woody back from sacking Jose midseason and in that scenario, i actually feel for Woody as he's getting alot of abuse for something out of his control.

Also Carrick has a decent amount of influence on Pogba and, being a midfielder, should be able to set us up well there (which is a big part of our problem). As I see it, whether you still think we can get top 4 or build for next season, all outcomes are better without Mourinho.

If Mou stays I think we'll see Sanchez, Pogba, Fred, Bailly, Martial and probably others move on. Whilst some haven't been good enough, the fact Mou's caused that many rifts alone should be a sackable offense.

Only reason Mourinho is still in Job is because of the fecking contract Ed gave him in Jan. Now if Jose is let go he'd get > £20m and Woodward would look like an absolute fool. Ed's ego wouldn't allow that to happen and hence waiting for a cut price deal. We are STUCK between these two aholes.

Problem is Jose as well as the board, either fire Jose or back him completely, the players who aren't playing for Jose should be sacked if he is backed 100%. The confusion is just killing the football.

I keep seeing this same point being raised over and over again by the people defending Mourinho and likewise I'm over and over left waiting for an answer.

Can you name me a manager that was fully backed, 100%?

just plant some cocaine in his desk at Carrington, call the cops and get rid of the charleton for free

Taking his demeanour and how he carries himself, he strikes me more as a heroin type of person.

Only reason Mourinho is still in Job is because of the fecking contract Ed gave him in Jan. Now if Jose is let go he'd get > £20m and Woodward would look like an absolute fool. Ed's ego wouldn't allow that to happen and hence waiting for a cut price deal. We are STUCK between these two aholes.

I don't think holding onto Jose and us sinking further and further into the abyss does Ed's ego any good either, he still looks like a fool that way.

I don't think holding onto Jose and us sinking further and further into the abyss does Ed's ego any good either, he still looks like a fool that way.

That blood would be on only Mourinho's hands though. Ed could just say that the manager was the sole reason behind this mess and sack him at that point(When top4 is gone) and he wanted to give time for the manager to turn things around. If we fire him now the world would know the record payout Jose would get, which shows how bad Ed has negotiated the manager's contract.

Ed's getting more stick for holding out and letting this drag on than any massive payout. Everyone and their dog can see it would be worth whatever the price to get rid of Jose.

So Hughes got the sack for dropping points against us. Between that and people that have absolutely no connection to United (like Dugarry) ranting about how crap we are under Mourinho...geez we're really have become the laughing stock of the whole football world.

On the other hand tanking the share price makes it easier for them to buyback control into the club and profit more from a sale. If someone like the UAE is involved, the price is going to inflated no matter where we are in the league table.

I dunno to be honest. I'm trying to find some logical reasoning for this not happening.

Yeah this doesn't make sense. I mean Ed isn't stupid. Yes his ego would be bruised as all these corporate financy types are bloody hard work. However, he has to be looking at the bigger picture and surely he'd be worried about the damage to the 'brand'?

Unless, no one wants the job - not even in a caretaking capacity. I really can't figure it out.

Top 4 is dead and gone unless we go on a run to make history. No team has ever clawed back the kind of deficit we're facing to fourth from this point in the season. It'd be the first time ever that a club made up this kind of gap - and given the way the teams ahead are going, it will take a massive run of wins for us, combined with losses for them, for us to make it. I just don't see it happening. We need to beat both Arsenal and Liverpool (away) within the next fortnight (apart from Ranieri-led Fulham), to even stay in touch with the Top 4 (or hope that Spurs lose to Soton and Burnley). That's the magnitude of the task we face. And with all due respect to Young Boys, a team that huffed and puffed like we did to beat them (at home) is just not inspiring me as the one to complete this task.

Sacking Jose now is literally about saving the club's image and reputation. We are quickly becoming a laughing stock. I loved it when we were hated for being the winners that we were. Now though, people are either derisory or giving us pity. It kills me.

The points needed to catch back up with the teams currently fighting for top 4 is only 8 points!.

Yes it's going to be tough and yes it probably won't happen. I'm the first person to say that. But it is doable. 8 points isn't alot.

We still have to play Liverpool twice, arsenal twice and Chelsea, spurs and city once more. It is doable.!

I agree with us being a laughing stock. We have allowed Liverpool to overtake us. They are miles better than us and they seem to have a structure that allows for steady progression, something that has been so erratic with us. I personally think we have very good squad that just needs a new direction. A new manager with an attacking ethos to come in and say 'forget about the past, let's move forward' would do us wonders. Yes we need new players, especially in defence but we have some great young players and some good experience too. We have for too long said that pogba needs a midfield around him that utilizes his strengths, and us also needing a right winger but Jose hasn't bought the midfield we need yet and he swapped our only right winger for yet another left winger. It's only gaps in the team we need filling at this point.

The future could be good, and could turn around very quickly if only woody just did what was needed to be done. A new manager, and a good budget in the summer amd we could see that change in fortunes.

Thing is, if Jose’s camp was making noise about him leaving and going to PSG, ie fishing for a new contract Ed has to react. He either lets it be known he doesn’t truly back Jose by not granting him an extension or he gives him the contract without any major drama. Not renewing it probably would have made the situation worse at the time.

I mean I’ve hated what he’s done and how he has played and seen this writing on the wall since day 1 but at that time wasn’t Jose in a pretty powerful position.

So Hughes got the sack for dropping points against us. Between that and people that have absolutely no connection to United (like Dugarry) ranting about how crap we are under Mourinho...geez we're really have become the laughing stock of the whole football world.

We’ve been a laughing stock for a few seasons now tbh. It’s just hit boiling point now. I’d say our board are laughing their asses off at the fans too for not making more off a fuss, they take us all for fools. No other club our size would be putting up with this absolute circus.

A spine of Matic, Fellaini and Lukaku represents everything that is anti football and not Manchester United, and represents everything that is Jose. Needs to Feck off and take his harlem globetrotters with him

He needs to go for sure but lets not forget the wider issue,The Glazers and Woodward,pity any manager having to work under such a restrictive regime!

He needs to go for sure but lets not forget the wider issue,The Glazers and Woodward,pity any manager having to work under such a restrictive regime!

Yet before Jose was hired the fans couldn’t stop going on about how this is the perfect environment for Jose, given his time at Chelsea and Madrid. That our board would allow him to do as he pleases. That we would see a new Jose under a more lenient board.

Feck sake.

Im travelling in Ghana at the moment. was off the grid until today. Predicted a draw at Southampton,got one. Albbeit,didn't expect us to go 2-0 inside20mins but that's exactly how shite we've become.

This man has attempted to lower expectations far worse than Moyes. That poor bastard had barely a reputation to begin with and wasn't given 300million to spend.

The cnut needs to leave NOW,he's a completely spent force and all this has become is a weird standoff....

"How bad does this NEED TO GET before you fire me and pay me?

For the record the locals I've chatted to here (mainly Chelsea,Liverpool and Arsenal fans) think we have become hilarious. A worldwide joke.

Yet before Jose was hired the fans couldn’t stop going on about how this is the perfect environment for Jose, given his time at Chelsea and Madrid. That our board would allow him to do as he pleases. That we would see a new Jose under a more lenient board.

Feck sake.
Look at Arsenal,a seamless and Professional transition post Wenger, our owners and CEO couldnt run a bath!

Thing is, if Jose’s camp was making noise about him leaving and going to PSG, ie fishing for a new contract Ed has to react. He either lets it be known he doesn’t truly back Jose by not granting him an extension or he gives him the contract without any major drama. Not renewing it probably would have made the situation worse at the time.

I mean I’ve hated what he’s done and how he has played and seen this writing on the wall since day 1 but at that time wasn’t Jose in a pretty powerful position.

To me it seems like Ed just got played like a fiddle. A DOF could have advised on what needed to be done at that point as these are Basic 101's in running a football club. Ed's making costly mistakes and using us as his learning curve.

Eh? Whats this all about? Because some of the team are tall or what?
Some... Team of giants. Seems to be the criteria to play these days. Ah Fred I know you had a decent game against Young Boys, but do you know what I need to play Matic, Fellaini, McTomminay because they are all tall

Status
Not open for further replies.