The Modern / Current Players Draft

He was more consistent/clinical than ibra and saurez and had more to his game than etoo imo. I would only put a certain Colombian close to him but even he lacked Torres explosive pace.

Since when Torres had more in his game than Eto'o? Could Torres play in the wing as Eto'o with Inter?

Nah, I think Torres avoids that. We didn't hate him like all the others, it was just pure admiration and jealousy.

True - wasn't thinking hatred as much with him, rather his exceptional decline (which tends to taint players to a significant degree).

Am I the only one who rates Villa higher than Torres? I'd argue that Villa's peak form at Valencia matches Torres' best years at Liverpool and Villa easily wins the comparison when it comes to performances in the nationalteam.

Am I the only one who rates Villa higher than Torres? I'd argue that Villa's peak form at Valencia matches Torres' best years at Liverpool and Villa easily wins the comparison when it comes to performances in the nationalteam.

Nope, I am with you there too. Villa > Torres.

Agreed.

Maybe my judgement is still affected by the Vidic matches. At those times, Torres scared me like no other striker I've seen face United. He was terrifying!

Torres was top quality, don't get me wrong.. scored the winner in Euro 2008 too. Eto'o had more to him though, he was more elusive and intelligent.. yet still super explosive. He was superior technically too.

Eto'o>Villa>Torres>Suarez

1. Pat_Mustard: 1. Xavi 2. Villa 3. Dani Alves
  2. Raees: 1. Ronaldinho 2. Hummels 3. Chiellini
  3. Physiocrat: 1. Robben 2. Fabregas 3. J. Boateng
  4. MJJ: 1. Kaka 2. Torres 3. Essien
  5. Stobzilla: 1. Lahm 2. Alaba 3. Vidal
  6. The Red Viper: 1. Iniesta 2. Terry 3. Neymar
  7. Isotope: 1. Suárez 2. Eto'o 3. Mascherano
  8. Theon: 1. Schweinsteiger 2. Ibrahimovic
  9. BorisDeLedFora: 1. Vidic 2. Kompany
  10. Snow: 1. Hazard 2. Modric
  11. VivaJanuzaj: 1. Thiago Silva 2. Yaya Toure
  12. NoPace: 1. Kroos 2. Reus
  13. Barney: 1. Gerrard 2. Alonso
  14. Skizzo: 1. Muller 2. Evra
  15. crappycraperson: 1. Ribery 2. Aguero
  16. NM: 1. Bale 2. Cole
@Theon

For new page.

Villa > Torress IMO. Torres couldn't adapt at all once he lost his acceleration.

Torres is a bit difficult to rate. At his best he could tear one of the best defenses of all time in to shreds and have us fear him, but that wasn't a level he kept consistently through-out a season. So for me Villa definitely edges it in a draft like this where the mean average is more important than the highest heights. I don't think Villa at his very best was near Torres at his best, but Villa was very consistent.

You knew if you had Villa up front over the course of a season that he'd perform.

Torres was top quality, don't get me wrong.. scored the winner in Euro 2008 too. Eto'o had more to him though, he was more elusive and intelligent.. yet still super explosive. He was superior technically too.

Eto'o>Villa>Torres>Suarez
Eto'o trumps Villa for his pace and physicality. Villa was a far better finisher though.

If you look at average peak over three years Torres is comfortably worse than Eto'o and Villa.

Eto'o trumps Villa for his pace and physicality. Villa was a far better finisher though.

No doubt, but Eto'o also had a presence and charisma to him. He was a top dog and considering he played in a team with Ronaldinho/Messi yet still had that aura to him, it is pretty special. Villa was a tad more understated but nevertheless brilliant.

Last edited:
How is that related to his peak?

Villa's peak was comfortably better too. He's a much better all round player and could do a variety of things Torres simply couldn't. Mind you - play Torres in the right system and he becomes incredibly useful in a draft context.

Villa - Torres - Eto'o:

Don't have a favourite among 'em, as neither is quite my type. Quality wise there ain't much between them, I reckon, if you go with peak. Torres is obviously bottom if we're talking career. Villa deadliest among them, I should say, in terms of pure finishing. Eto'o has that extreme speed going for him, over longer distances too - making him more useful in certain set-ups. He's more dependent on having the right players feeding him, though, arguably. Villa probably the easiest one to slot into any team. In terms of being absolutely unplayable at his best, however, I would have Torres up top. But he is quite obviously the biggest liability in terms of pulling votes.

Depends on the circumstances and the set-up, as always.

Villa - Torres - Eto'o:

Don't have a favourite among 'em, as neither is quite my type. Quality wise there ain't much between them, I reckon, if you go with peak. Torres is obviously bottom if we're talking career. Villa deadliest among them, I should say, in terms of pure finishing. Eto'o has that extreme speed going for him, over longer distances too - making him more useful in certain set-ups. He's more dependent on having the right players feeding him, though, arguably. Villa probably the easiest one to slot into any team. In terms of being absolutely unplayable at his best, however, I would have Torres up top. But he is quite obviously the biggest liability in terms of pulling votes.

The trouble with this draft is that people will struggle to disregard their recent experiences of the player (Torres at Chelsea, Eto'o at Chelsea / Everton, etc) and just focus on their absolute peak. Torres, at his peak was, arguably, the best striker in the world, assuming that we don't class Messi / Ronaldo as strikers.

Kudos to whoever picked David Villa. Seems strangely forgotten these days when considering great forwards of recent years.

Yeah, Villa is the best striker picked so far. Probably the best one that was available too.

Where does Sergio Aguero fit into this out of interest.. not as proven as the others at the highest level but in terms of talent, he is right up there.

For me, Villa vs Etoo or Torres is sort of like the Messi vs Ronaldo debate; Playmaking decides it.

As a 9, especially at Valencia, Villa was such a wonderful playmaker that he's likely to be a better player there unless you're playing with chalk on the boots wingers. If you're playing with wide players who will come inside and look to link up, or 2 strikers or whatever, Villa is the better player. The case for Etoo or Torres over him is that they were slightly better goalscorers at their peak, so it sort of depends on who you surround them with, but I had Villa above both.

Will be interesting to see how people go about arguing about the infamous "peak" business in this draft.

And whether the voters will give a damn (which they won't, of course, if they mainly stick to looking at the line-ups).

As ever I'm sure most voters will go with their own ideas about 'peak' rather thanstrictly adhering to any pre-imposed rules. Personally I'd assume there would have to be a fair bit more leeway regrding the 3 year norm than usual. That said, if I choose a player with only 1 excellent season, I fully expect an opposing manager to try to plant seeds about 'reasonable doubt' in the voters' minds, and quite rightly so.

:D Is @Barney trying to recreate one of the poorest teams ever to win the Champions League here???

:lol: In fairness that central midfield and attack he was hoping to replicate was fairly brilliant!

Yep. I was delighted that Villa slipped through and Torres was chosen first.

Great to see the plaudits Villa is getting here! Honestly, after my Xavi pick he was my first choice striker. If I was building a team from scratch Ibra would have been my choice given his creativity, but after getting Xavi on board movement up front became the bigger priority. Eto'o and Villa were the two standouts then, and in terms of personal preference rather than quality I liked Villa alot more.

Great to see the plaudits Villa is getting here! Honestly, after my Xavi pick he was my first choice striker. If I was building a team from scratch Ibra would have been my choice given his creativity, but after getting Xavi on board movement up front became the bigger priority. Eto'o and Villa were the two standouts then, and in terms of personal preference rather than quality I liked Villa alot more.
The nationality rule makes Eto'o the way better pick for your team though. You really could use another Spaniard.

Villa - Torres - Eto'o:

Agreed. It depends on how you setup your team. Villa is more versatile and technical, thus would bring more to the team. Torres is more dangerous in counter-attack team, against high line defence, more clinical, and better at leading the line as CF.

Eto'o has performed at Barcelona and Inter, when both were the best teams in the world, that have two different setup. Taking into account, he also played in different positions on both.

Now Suarez, he's performed in every international tournaments he was in (bar that second rate Olympic), and in every league he's played (getting better in La Liga). Like Villa, he's also comfortable going wide or picking up the ball from deep.

Another one, I think Suarez and Eto'o are among the most hard-worker strikers out there. Admittedly, they're still pale compared to what United have up-front.

Last edited:
Where does Sergio Aguero fit into this out of interest.. not as proven as the others at the highest level but in terms of talent, he is right up there.

Yeah, I'd say he is. Hard to tell. I think players who are in their prime, or at least in the current "world class" bracket, could go either way here. If they're not sufficiently proven (and some might argue that Aguero ain't, since he has been stuck at a noticeably underwhelming CL club), some will hold that against 'em in comparison to the likes of Eto'o and Villa, who have won it all (literally, one could say, in Villa's case). Whereas another sort of voter will go for what he knows - and rank the currently brilliant Aguero over has-beens like Villa, Eto'o and Torres.

The nationality rule makes Eto'o the way better pick for your team though. You really could use another Spaniard.

Very good point, actually.

I was musing on who he could pick to cover Xavi's arse and/or complement him earlier and realized that most of my candidates turned out invalid, as they're just a bit too old.

That said, I did my musing having a Barca'esque set-up in mind. And part and parcel of Xavi in a draft is probably whether you can sell him in a set-up which is NOT clearly Barca'esque. That is the main challenge with him, arguably.

I personally think he would shine in other set-ups too, clearly so - but he no doubt suffers somewhat from a kind of typecast syndrome particular to certain players.

Last edited: