The MMA thread

The co and main event were the worst fights of the night. Until then, it was a great card overall.

Expected for Rakic to keep the fight standing, specially when he had so much success, and had me quite nervous while he was down there with Smith, but he explained afterwards he wanted to show the division he is not only a striker, but a good wrestler and grappler as well.

Would love to see Brock X Fedor or Frank Mir part 3

But his UFC contract is probably frozen. Doubt he is unrestricted free agent. And no mma promotion would offer him the money wrestling promotions will.

But... looking forward to read reports on how he's in his best shape ever, excited to fight... and then, have my dreams crushed.

Brock will end up back in WWE, I'm near 100% certain on that. He's just riding the Covid wave for now.

Brock will end up back in WWE, I'm near 100% certain on that. He's just riding the Covid wave for now.

yeah that is the most probable outcome.

At the UFC, he would have to enter USADA, and I don't think he can cheat his way into a fight just like the last time.

Bellator sounds more plausible, with fighters more at his current level. But how much can they pay him?

yeah that is the most probable outcome.

At the UFC, he would have to enter USADA, and I don't think he can cheat his way into a fight just like the last time.

Bellator sounds more plausible, with fighters more at his current level. But how much can they pay him?
I don't think he even wants to fight any more. Having to be in the USADA pool and have a proper training camp for what would be a fecking hard fight given the only opponents he's likely to face are top tier - I just don't see it. To go a bit wrestling nerd here too it'd be hilarious to see him in AEW purely for the lack of effort he'd put into anything, even with WWE he only puts a shift in with storied wrestlers he truly respects. He'll probably openly negotiate with everyone to bump up his price then go to WWE for whatever Vince pays him.

Does anyone really want a rematch for that one?

I don’t hate the idea of Jorge/Nate 2, in all honesty. What’s the alternative? Nate to sit on the sidelines and Masvidal to fight Edwards? Nah, I think I’d rather just have those two go at it again. Besides, after all the years of fighting they’ve accumulated, they deserve to get paid and this is probably their best way of ensuring they do, aside from a fight with McGregor.

I don’t hate the idea of Jorge/Nate 2, in all honesty. What’s the alternative? Nate to sit on the sidelines and Masvidal to fight Edwards? Nah, I think I’d rather just have those two go at it again. Besides, after all the years of fighting they’ve accumulated, they deserve to get paid and this is probably their best way of ensuring they do, aside from a fight with McGregor.

yeah, both those guys just want money at this point. Better if they fight each other, instead of messing around with the big dogs at the top (specially Masvidal).

I wanted Leon Edwards to beat his ass, but Jorge is no stupid. He wouldn't accept that fight.

Hopefully Edwards can get a big fight next, and go back to where he was before getting served with the 3 piece and soda.

finally, Ponzi is back! One of the few, that I can see beating Usman. (as long as he is coming back at his usual level after so many medical issues)

Yeah there's no harm in it really, both nowhere near title contention really, both not harming any rankings etc taking the fight and the last one was an entertaining fight (more entertaining than most of Usman's fights for example and he's the champion in their division.)

HOLY.SHIT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Said I don't buy into Adesanya's hype in here a few times, but beating Costa will certainly give me cause for a rethink on that. Adesanya gets hit, a lot, for the style he comes out with, that won't wash with Costa.

Having said that, if Costa is over excited and emotional, he may over commit, leave himself wide open and go night night real quick.

Hard fight to call.

Said I don't buy into Adesanya's hype in here a few times, but beating Costa will certainly give me cause for a rethink on that. Adesanya gets hit, a lot, for the style he comes out with, that won't wash with Costa.

Having said that, if Costa is over excited and emotional, he may over commit, leave himself wide open and go night night real quick.

Hard fight to call.

Pretty sure if you look at the stats he actually gets hit much less than most fighters.
Also it's hardly hype, he's earnt his reputation through his fight record and the speed at which he's done it. He's the top man in the division at the moment, no more no less.

Pretty sure if you look at the stats he actually gets hit much less than most fighters.
Also it's hardly hype, he's earnt his reputation through his fight record and the speed at which he's done it. He's the top man in the division at the moment, no more no less.
I don't know why but I don't like him. I don't mind confident, trash talking fighters if done right.

McGregor became a parody but initially he was very witty and funny.

Tony Ferguson is just strange but intriguing.

Khabib sounds like he wants to kill people. It feels very genuine.

Cejudo and Colby are cringe as feck but I see what they're doing and it gets me excited to see them as I want them to get pummeled.

There's something about Israel that just doesn't sit right with me. Look at that trash talking he did with Costa the other day. He had no clever remarks or come backs so he just resorted to swearing like a child.

Hard fight to call.

His hype definitely tends to obscure his weaknesses. If you go back and look at the Gastelum and Romero highlights, both of them dropped him and Yoel actually managed to take him down a couple of times (albeit briefly). The only thing that saved him in both fights was his elusiveness which helped him evade getting finished when they knocked him down. Costa is an even more aggressive version of peak Gastelum, so unless someone gets in a lucky shot, I see this as being a very long night for Israel. He could still win but it would probably be in a 5 round war.

I don't know why but I don't like him. I don't mind confident, trash talking fighters if done right.

Cejudo and Colby are cringe as feck but I see what they're doing and it gets me excited to see them as I want them to get pummeled.

There's something about Israel that just doesn't sit right with me. Look at that trash talking he did with Costa the other day. He had no clever remarks or come backs so he just resorted to swearing like a child.
:lol:

Honestly I don't pay much attention to what fighters say. Mostly it's just tough talk or cheesy insults and a sizable chunk of it is done just to promote fights or build a personality to attract fans. WWE level stuff really. I mostly just tune them out and focus on what they do in the cage. Some of it can be amusing but most of it is just cringe.

He's socially awkward and I think his interviews and behaviour reflect this. He's not fake though, and I do like that avmbiut him, that warts and all he puts himself in the spotlight to be admired or to be ridiculed. No one will forget his walkout prior to fighting Whittaker, or his performance.

Personally I think he comes across as a man child , who probably who is only truly comfortable when fighting., And boy can be fight.

He's been sold as the next great one for a long time, so you're playing down the supposed standing he has as it's a hell of a lot more than just being the top guy in the here and now - he's been touted as a future all-time great for an age and it doesn't match with what he's done to date, for me.

Perhaps it'll all align and I'll 'get it,' but for me, he's a lot more hot air than substance to this point in time. I've felt that way for a long while as my posts in here will attest to.

He goes in and does the business against Costa and he'll have lived up to his billing, as that guy looks like a champ in the making if he doesn't piss hot.

I feel like he's got all this package around him that he has to live up to and keep his name prominent and top billing, which isn't as easy as some others make it look with an extension of their natural, organic persona. It's like Adesanya is acting and performing most of the time, as opposed to people like McGregor, Jones or Khabib who, if anything, try as hard as they can to bring their personalties in line with being saleable, as we've seen what McGregor and Jones actually are by their actions outside of the octagon time and again.

He [Adesanya] is supposed to be the next in line after Anderson Silva, but he hasn't half the personality or charisma of the Brazilian and is trying to fill in the blanks - faking it until he pads out the resume. Reminds me of Mayweather vis-a-vis Broner, at the moment. Floyd being a genuine dick, but also box office because of it, and Broner selling himself as such, but it not being believable. Just talking characters here, not talent, as Adesanya is clearly more talented in his sport than Broner was in his.

If he is the real deal, and sits at the top as champion for a few years, I reckon the real person, whatever that is, will come to the fore.
His hype definitely tends to obscure his weaknesses. If you go back and look at the Gastelum and Romero highlights, both of them dropped him and Yoel actually managed to take him down a couple of times (albeit briefly). The only thing that saved him in both fights was his elusiveness which helped him evade getting finished when they knocked him down. Costa is an even more aggressive version of peak Gastelum, so unless someone gets in a lucky shot, I see this as being a very long night for Israel. He could still win but it would probably be in a 5 round war.
He gets clipped, a lot, for someone who is supposed to be out of this world reflexively like Silva used to be. I mean if he gets caught and put to sleep against Costa, it won't be a shock to me, whereas with Silva, his own hubris was his enemy rather than any particular opponent.

Costa really is a monster who won't stop coming forward and he won't hesitate to finish the fight if the opportunities are there to do so, which makes it intriguing to see whether Adsenya can win convincingly; put on a show or win at all, even.

Will certainly come in and give him his props if he makes a fool out of Costa. Don't see it happening though; Adesanya doesn't give me that impression like some of the greats who went on to prove they were just that, did.

The Whitaker fight proved Izzy is the real deal.for me. High stakes high pressure top opponent and he starched him. I can see why some would call him "fake" a lot of his persona feels calculated and pre planned but I think that's just smart of him. He does have some charisma and he's really smart at marketing, some might just not like the ratio.