The MMA thread

Expected just a bit more, but they knew each others strengths and weapons too well by now.

Nevermind, will take this too. :drool:

:lol: Make that all of us
Last time I was in a ring I got hit with a liver shot that dropped me on my ass. So debilitating, like my body just insisted I stop. That's the most fragile I've probably ever felt. Watching these 2 made me feel like glass! Happy just training bags and pads in my garage during lockdown :lol:

My dog got conjunctivitis a few years ago and her third eyelid was all swollen. That's all I can think of looking at DC's eye.

Last time I was in a ring I got hit with a liver shot that dropped me on my ass. So debilitating, like my body just insisted I stop. That's the most fragile I've probably ever felt. Watching these 2 made me feel like glass! Happy just training bags and pads in my garage during lockdown :lol:

My dog got conjunctivitis a few years ago and her third eyelid was all swollen. That's all I can think of looking at DC's eye.
Never been in a ring, so take solace you're way tougher than me. Dogs have more than two eyelids (left and right)?!? :confused:

DC Jon 2 was very competitive until the head kick too, to be fair. Wasn't it?

It was but in hindsight Jon spent most of the fight setting him up for the head kick. Almost arrogant in his approach. I don't think Jon was ever near the trouble that Stipe had with DC. He took some shots but was always in control of both fights.

Edit: maybe I'm giving Jon too much credit though.

Never been in a ring, so take solace you're way tougher than me. Dogs have more than two eyelids (left and right)?!? :confused:
Yep, usually (when all is going well) you can't see it, it sits in the corner of their eye and is there to clean the cornea, protect from injury and produce lymph nodes and tears, basically. When it comes across too much, looks like the eye is rolling back into the head-DC's looked like it was rolling down with how it was closing up.

It was but in hindsight Jon spent most of the fight setting him up for the head kick. Almost arrogant in his approach. I don't think Jon was ever near the trouble that Stipe had with DC. He took some shots but was always in control of both fights.

Edit: maybe I'm giving Jon too much credit though.
Haven't watched it in a long time so I'll take your word on it! I'd agree he wasn't in the same trouble Stipe was when he fought DC the second time, but I thought DC won a round (or 2?).

Once he knew DC was hurt though, the way he went after him was terrifying. So ruthless.

Looking at videos on youtube and this one was recommended to me. I always laugh at 4 things when I see this:

1 George's confused face at the beginning when asked about Jones, I always find how awkward he is hilarious and endearing

2 Jones' head shake as he turns around upon hearing his name, like "nah man, I don't know who you're talking to, I don't want to be a part of that"

3 The "ayyyyy!" obviously

4 How cringey it is when that gobshite with the camera is like "no one's messing with you! You're the baddest dudes in the club" while they ignore him. Shut the hell up man, you got your clip.

That was a good back and forth fight and the correct decision in the end. Shame about the eye pokes on both sides. Looking forward to the Stipe vs Ngannou rematch. Let's see if Ngannou has really evolved this time.

Never 49-46. 2-2 going into the final round which tbh I had DC possibly winning. Even if Stipe won that round no way is that a 49-46 fight. Stipe spent a large chunk pressing him against the cage where he was doing absolutely nothing what so ever with it with Cormier looking comfortable.

Stipes a decent guy though which is good. As always Jones is coming out with his usual bollocks but hopefully we see the rematch with Francis.

Let Jones rematch with Reyes and if he wins, he can fight the winner of Stipe - Ngannou . Personally I don’t think Jon wants any part of a Reyes rematch as there ‘s nothing to be gained from winning other than the ability to keep the belt, whereas Reyes has everything to gain by winning. If Jon wins he can set up a mega fight and potentially retire if he wins that.

Let Jones rematch with Reyes and if he wins, he can fight the winner of Stipe - Ngannou . Personally I don’t think Jon wants any part of a Reyes rematch as there ‘s nothing to be gained from winning other than the ability to keep the belt, whereas Reyes has everything to gain by winning. If Jon wins he can set up a mega fight and potentially retire if he wins that.

True. Jones seems to adjust will in rematches as well though so I think he'd be pretty confident in a rematch.

Glad Stipe won, wasn't a fan of DC potentially retiring champion just seems a bit daft. Hope Ngannou has improved enough to make that rematch competitive.

Dana be fuming about O Malley result as well.

True. Jones seems to adjust will in rematches as well though so I think he'd be pretty confident in a rematch.

Glad Stipe won, wasn't a fan of DC potentially retiring champion just seems a bit daft. Hope Ngannou has improved enough to make that rematch competitive.

Dana be fuming about O Malley result as well.
Jones has only ever had 1 rematch?

Nobody believes bones after the fight with reyes. If he cares about legacy, he should rematch him, then move to hw and swipe a couple of contenders and retire with both belts

Nah, hes too confortable sitting in his pile of cash, also he doesn't seem to wanna fight more than once a year

Nobody believes bones after the fight with reyes. If he cares about legacy, he should rematch him, then move to hw and swipe a couple of contenders and retire with both belts

Nah, hes too confortable sitting in his pile of cash, also he doesn't seem to wanna fight more than once a year

He fought twice last year and will probably fight again this year so that'll be twice a year to be fair

To be honest he's a LHW pure and simple, the lad ha the perfect build for it and doesn't have the KO power to keep people honest at HW. Nobody expects Khabib to move up and face Usman so in terms of legacy Jones doesn't need to move up. However he needs to rematch Reyes and Santos.

To be honest he's a LHW pure and simple, the lad ha the perfect build for it and doesn't have the KO power to keep people honest at HW. Nobody expects Khabib to move up and face Usman so in terms of legacy Jones doesn't need to move up. However he needs to rematch Reyes and Santos.
Difference is, Khabib has not said he wants to go up and face Usman (at least I think he hasn't) whereas Jones has flirted with HW every chance he gets.

Apparently DC asked his corner between rounds 2 & 3 if he got knocked out. Looks like Stipe had him in big trouble with that late flurry at the end of round 2.

Closer than what the judges scored it as imo. Stipe probably won 48-47 in my book. Bad night for the judging and the ref'ing again unfortunately.

Stipe looked like he was going to win regardless, but the eye poke completely changed the fight. Prior to it, despite the fight being in Stipe's favour, Cormier landed some shots that could have had cumulative damage had the last rounds not been compromised. Disappointing end to his career and the fight, really.

O'Malley fight a massive letdown due to the injury. Nothing learned from that.

Stipe looked as lean as I've seen him since being champ in there. Wonder if he'll put on the lbs to match N'Gannou or stay where he is.

Think Jones has no business eyeing up the HW division unless he expects to win on points or via the mat.

Closer than what the judges scored it as imo. Stipe probably won 48-47 in my book. Bad night for the judging and the ref'ing again unfortunately.

Can’t agree with the one who said Stipe won the 4th.
2,3, and 5 going to Stipe are the right calls. The one up for debate is round 1, which I can really see going either way: Stipe has more of it, for sure, but DC scored a takedown and had a good closing sequence. Can’t really take offence with how either of D’Amato or Kamijo scored it.

Stipe looked like he was going to win regardless, but the eye poke completely changed the fight. Prior to it, despite the fight being in Stipe's favour, Cormier landed some shots that could have had cumulative damage had the last rounds not been compromised. Disappointing end to his career and the fight, really.

O'Malley fight a massive letdown due to the injury. Nothing learned from that.

Stipe looked as lean as I've seen him since being champ in there. Wonder if he'll put on the lbs to match N'Gannou or stay where he is.

Think Jones has no business eyeing up the HW division unless he expects to win on points or via the mat.

On Stipe v Francis 2 - On thing is for sure, Stipe wouldn't be able to absorb shots to the head from Francis like he did from DC last night.

Personally I think Rozenstruik is another threat to DC if he manages to get past Francis again.

On Stipe v Francis 2 - On thing is for sure, Stipe wouldn't be able to absorb shots to the head from Francis like he did from DC last night.

Personally I think Rozenstruik is another threat to DC if he manages to get past Francis again.

He will adapt and make everything to not let other opponent use his main strength.

Not sure about GOAT, but the way he changes his approach and denies opponent's main attacking tools are impressive. Tactically, he is amazing.