The MMA thread

Gotta love it. But it will be a great fight in July
Not sure about that.

Gane theoretically had standup advantage, which was negated inside a few seconds; N'Gannou had being N'Gannou.

Stipe is a halfway house not particularly great at anything but with heavy hands. He's presented with extreme problems vs Jones that can't be addressed in the way he's gone through his HW career.

Not sure it'll be a fight that matches the billing, but it's obviously the only fight to make and one we have to see played out regardless.

Sad we’re not likely to see Jones fight Francis.
Never say never. Frances still has years left in the game and Jones looks far from done. I think we get it in 2025. They can do a Brock like promo for Frances return.

Mental, he has been out the game for ages, a coke head, booze, goes up a weight class and then wins the first round.

Can someone just beat him ffs.

Man that was sooo easy for him :lol: Not sure there’s anyone out there who would even remotely trouble him at the moment (or would be interested to fight him).

Well, the HW division is his now that Ngannou isn't around, don't see anyone who can remotely challenge him in my opinion.

Stipe has no chance either.

If I were a betting man, I would have made some dough... Told my mates to place a bet on Jones and Grasso to win!

So happy for Alexa and yeah... Bones GOAT.

Well, the HW division is his now that Ngannou isn't around, don't see anyone who can remotely challenge him in my opinion.

Stipe has no chance either.
Stipe even old man Stipe will be more competitve though. Gane just has no ground game.

If I were a betting man, I would have made some dough... Told my mates to place a bet on Jones and Grasso to win!

So happy for Alexa and yeah... Bones GOAT.
Checked the odds and they weren't worth the outlay, so I didn't bother.

Would've equally been pissed if he came out like sloth because I've put money on him. :lol:

Checked the odds and they weren't worth the outlay, so I didn't bother.

Would've equally been pissed if he came out like sloth because I've put money on him. :lol:
Haha yeah I mean he's looked like my uncle. Loves a bit of gym but equally loves pies. So it's a mixture of built/flab.

He's probably the hardest man that has ever existed, no one will beat him.
matt-hamill-jon-jones-tuf-10-finale.jpg

Hold my drink :lol:

Was sure Gane would win. He's been on a good streak, become the new hype fighter on Reddit, and all those important things.
Jones hasn't fought in what 3 years? And looked fat and slow.
I guess the GOAT discussion is over now then, even if he's a dildo.

Mental, he has been out the game for ages, a coke head, booze, goes up a weight class and then wins the first round.

Can someone just beat him ffs.
When he said he had basically stopped training and wasn't doing any work in his last few questionable fights before he relinquished, there's no reason to doubt him - he's a lot of things, but true to his word in the octagon, he always is and has been.

The only things that will beat him as things stand is: going off the rails or Father Time itself.

Things weren't supposed to be that easy vs Gane, and he was literally the best and most dangerous striker Jones has ever faced, yet he made it look like the easiest fight of his entire career.

Always, the question was whether he was at a ridiculous advantage for LHW because of his size and height (I questioned that, too), and it's all dead now because he's shut down the best striker he'll face, and done it a division up, after 3yrs out. :wenger:

Was sure Gane would win. He's been on a good streak, become the new hype fighter on Reddit, and all those important things.
Jones hasn't fought in what 3 years? And looked fat and slow.
I guess the GOAT discussion is over now then, even if he's a dildo.
Don't know if it'll be seen as slow over imposing and intimidating if he's just walking into opponents like that at HW.

Looks like he's wearing a fat suit, but I would bet this is the most 'unfit' he'll look as he's still finding his optimal weight a division up and will eventually settle on what he feels is that. He went up to 267lb with N'Gannou in mind and hated his mobility there - it's a fighter-specific thing.

Best chance to have got him was before he got comfortable and familiar in this division.

Well, that was the most I've been let down by a fight in awhile. I thought Jones wrestling would be the difference but I also thought Gane would make him battle for the take downs.

Peak Stipe vs this version of Jones would probably be a solid fight in which Jones would still be a favorite. This way it will be more straightforward imo, although Stipe absolutely thrives in being an underdog, so from mental perspective this match suits him perfectly. I think he will at least make it far more interesting/competitive than what happened last night (not that hard to do tbf).

Weidman Rockhold vibes from that spinning kick

That's what it reminded me of. Weidman was in control prior to that strange attempt and Rockhold immediately took him down, mounted him, and proceeded to lay some damage. In this case, Valentina gets her back taken immediately and gets neck cranked.

What an amazing night of fighting. The early Prelims were good enough to be a PL in any event.

I like Gane but have always found him predictable, boring and just not that good.

I was convinced that Jones was going to batter him and even more so after seeing his interview with Bisping, Catterall and Peet. He was so calm and relaxed and thats the most dangerous version of Jones. Its embarrassing really for the HW division.

He hadn't fought for 3 years, put on a lot of timber to fight in a division he hasn't fought in before and made the HW Champ look like a big girls blouse.

In which other sport can someone leave for 3 years and do what Jones did last night?

I am a Jones fan, granted, but I can't think of any active HW that would beat him. In fact I think he suits the division more than LHW

Imagine what he would do to izzy :lol:

Yeah I was completely wrong! Thought Cyril's wrestling would be better than that, especially with his size.
I think Gane is like McGregor in the sense that he seems clueless to the wrestling side of things and I thought maybe he might work on it after that was the sole reason he lost to ngannou. Maybe he has and Jones is just too many levels above in that area...

But yeah, I never worried about those last few Jones shoddy outings (Silva, Reyes, Smith)... Jones is a fighter that rises to the occasion and needs a big fight to get going at this stage.

If he's ever gonna lose before father time catches up, it'll be against a lesser fighter that he underestimates and gets caught.

He's been off the rails though..
That’s why he took time out, as well as gaining and preparing for HW. We’re not hearing the wild stories anymore, but now he’s back in the life and the adulation and attention is not only renewed but entering a new age, we’ll see if he can cope or if he has learned anything (as he’s claimed) during his time out of the spotlight.

That’s why he took time out, as well as gaining and preparing for HW. We’re not hearing the wild stories anymore, but now he’s back in the life and the adulation and attention is not only renewed but entering a new age, we’ll see if he can cope or if he has learned anything (as he’s claimed) during his time out of the spotlight.

Maybe. I hope so, always been a Jones fan (at least Jones the fighter anyway)

I think Gane is like McGregor in the sense that he seems clueless to the wrestling side of things and I thought maybe he might work on it after that was the sole reason he lost to ngannou. Maybe he has and Jones is just too many levels above in that area...

But yeah, I never worried about those last few Jones shoddy outings (Silva, Reyes, Smith)... Jones is a fighter that rises to the occasion and needs a big fight to get going at this stage.

If he's ever gonna lose before father time catches up, it'll be against a lesser fighter that he underestimates and gets caught.
Jones’ wrestling is at a level where you have to be Olympic medalist pedigree to even contest it; Cormier tier, so there’s no shame (or chance) for anyone not of that standard being absolutely mopped by him once he’s got hands on them. Remember, most of what Jones does in the octagon he does for his own amusement (beating people in their own style or strength being the worst of it) and not because he is under pressure enough to really pull out all of the stops and use tactics and engagements other fighters are trying to execute from the very first bell. I think he’ll respect the HW’s for a bit, but if it becomes a procession, he might revert back to his old ways of indifference and disrespect, or, retire…

Post-party, still-off-his-tits-didn’t-train-for-the-fight Jones is a different story, but still has enough to beat most of the division without much effort.

Let’s be honest: he only needed to beat Francis and then face Stipe and Cyrille before calling it a day anyway to cement a HW legacy.

Heavyweight has suddenly become boring again since Jones is likely to mop the floor, although I suspect a Pavlovich fight would be very interesting.

Shevchenko seemed to me to have lost motivation. She was arguably beaten in her previous fight. Great win for Alexa. Fair play. She seems likable. I think Valentina will come back motivated and kick her head off.

Agreed, she was winning the fight but made a mistake. Can’t see her doing the same in the rematch. Ditto with Usman - Edwards.

Heavyweight has suddenly become boring again since Jones is likely to mop the floor, although I suspect a Pavlovich fight would be very interesting.

I think Pavlovich is probably a pretty easy fight for him personally. He's big, strong, has heavy hands, but nobody that crude and incomplete is beating Jon Jones. He'd keep the fight at range or smother him up close and once Pavlovich is tired, he'd get him down and as soon as it's on the ground it's over QUICK.

Blaydes might be interesting because of his natural size and wrestling pedigree, but Jones once he's back comfortable with his striking should have a big edge on the feet.

I actually think Tom Aspinall might be his biggest test. He'd probably back himself to win the striking exchanges with boxing fundamentals, speed and mobility. He's difficult to takedown and if it does hit the ground he's a BJJ blackbelt.

Jones
GSP
Anderson
Mighty Mouse
Cain
Khabib
Valentina
Amanda
Usman/Fedor/Aldo/Cerudo(?)

What we got? Where do they go? Anyone missing?