The MMA thread

Two absolutely stupid fights that the UFC will inevitably hype as awesome. Diaz and O'Malley have no chance in either fight. Diaz has always lost to wrestlers and Khamzat seems to have learnt from the Burns fight (where his corner were livid with him for not following the plan) and will just pound him into the ground with ease. Yan is a better stand up fighter than O'Malley and much better grappler too. Seriously if someone like Bellator came up with this then people would be laughing about it. Literally no different to some of the shite match-ups we've seen MVP in on a regular basis.

Also feck Dana, after everything and all the years Nate has given you, this is how you repay it? The guy is just a massive, massive piece of shit who shows zero respect to any of the UFC fighters (except Conor because money).

Two absolutely stupid fights that the UFC will inevitably hype as awesome. Diaz and O'Malley have no chance in either fight. Diaz has always lost to wrestlers and Khamzat seems to have learnt from the Burns fight (where his corner were livid with him for not following the plan) and will just pound him into the ground with ease. Yan is a better stand up fighter than O'Malley and much better grappler too. Seriously if someone like Bellator came up with this then people would be laughing about it. Literally no different to some of the shite match-ups we've seen MVP in on a regular basis.

Also feck Dana, after everything and all the years Nate has given you, this is how you repay it? The guy is just a massive, massive piece of shit who shows zero respect to any of the UFC fighters (except Conor because money).

Queue Nate getting dominated and losing and then going on twitter and saying he is the best fighter in the world.

We don't really know if Khamzat has learnt anything until he gets in to the cage again though. We'll see. Still think Nate will get killed.

Nah, Dana also respected Lesnar and Rousey... More money :lol:

Does 280 have a case to be the best card of all time? Some absolutely ridiculous fights on there. You could argue even the 'less intriguing' bouts like Beneil and Belal are still great fights in their own right. I'm a bit torn on the O'Malley and Yan fight though. Both amongst my favourite fighters in the UFC but I don't think Suga Sean is ready for this calibre of opponent. I understand the hype around him and wanting to fast track him, but Yan is a different animal. I still think he's the best fighter in that division and will eventually get his strap back.

The main event is the most interesting to me though. I love Charles, absolute beast and I can see why people will think he will cause Islam problems but apart from a bad night for Islam, I just don't see it. I think he dominates Olivera on the ground, makes it look easier than a lot of people are expecting.

Does 280 have a case to be the best card of all time? Some absolutely ridiculous fights on there. You could argue even the 'less intriguing' bouts like Beneil and Belal are still great fights in their own right. I'm a bit torn on the O'Malley and Yan fight though. Both amongst my favourite fighters in the UFC but I don't think Suga Sean is ready for this calibre of opponent. I understand the hype around him and wanting to fast track him, but Yan is a different animal. I still think he's the best fighter in that division and will eventually get his strap back.

The main event is the most interesting to me though. I love Charles, absolute beast and I can see why people will think he will cause Islam problems but apart from a bad night for Islam, I just don't see it. I think he dominates Olivera on the ground, makes it look easier than a lot of people are expecting.
That’s actually a problem for him; he fights with too much contempt and disrespect in that regard and gets frustrated if he’s not blowing his opponent out. Sterling 2 obviously had needle to it, but it highlighted something Yan always does, which is drive forward quite dismissively and if someone has the power as well as the technique, they can capitalise on that or at least make things interesting. Yan simply has had too much to him for most up until now, but that 2nd fight will not have gone under the radar, and I doubt Yan modifies himself in any way off the back of that fight - pretty sure he’ll do the same again should he meet Sterling for a trilogy, actually.

Half my expectation is he just walks through O’Malley like he does with 99.9% of people he fights, and the other thinks he keeps him out and Yan gets obstinate to prove he can get in his way making for an interesting contest.

We don't really know if Khamzat has learnt anything until he gets in to the cage again though. We'll see. Still think Nate will get killed.

Nah, Dana also respected Lesnar and Rousey... More money :lol:

The main problem for Nate is that even if Khamzat is disrespectful and stands with him, he's so much bigger that even if things are going wrong then he can just resort to wrestling and is just the much bigger guy anyway. It's just such a mismatch and that would be the case even if Nate wasn't way out of his prime. I mean we all talk about his cardio but the fact is he very clearly lost 3-2 to McGregor, who has awful cardio. The fact that Nate has no KO power means I just can't see anyway Khamzat loses, he just always has that one thing that Nate has always lost to and is much bigger to boot.

On O'Malley v Yan my issue is that, while O'Malley is definitely talented and has power, I just don't see him being as good as Petr at anything in MMA. Let's be honest, and I like Sterling, but Yan is the best in that division and the fact that O'Malley hasn't beaten anyone of note makes it a total mismatch. Now the element for a surprise lies much more in the Yan v O'Malley fight but in my opinion both fights will be a bloodbath.

I fecking hate Dana man. In many ways, if he wasn't a complete dickhead, then Conor had the perfect career. He was dead right, get in and make a tonne of money and get the feck out. If it wasn't for his ego he retires after the Floyd fight because why take more damage than you need for such a tomato headed piece of shit.

Queue Nate getting dominated and losing and then going on twitter and saying he is the best fighter in the world.

:lol: very true but I absolutely love both him and Nick. Also you know what, him accepting Khamzat is honestly such a gangster move. I'll never doubt their will to fight.

:lol: very true but I absolutely love both him and Nick. Also you know what, him accepting Khamzat is honestly such a gangster move. I'll never doubt their will to fight.

I take a slightly harsher view.

They are totally open in their delusion (both him and Nick) and so they have nothing to lose as in their view if they lose fights they can still say they are the best and keep getting big fights.

The only thing he can lose is that he gets beat up and he is definitely tough enough to deal with that. I am not saying it in too harsh a way as Nate and Nick are obviously INFINITELY tougher than me and most humans who have ever lived. Their delusional act has just been a bit boring for quite a while now.

On O'Malley v Yan my issue is that, while O'Malley is definitely talented and has power, I just don't see him being as good as Petr at anything in MMA. Let's be honest, and I like Sterling, but Yan is the best in that division and the fact that O'Malley hasn't beaten anyone of note makes it a total mismatch. Now the element for a surprise lies much more in the Yan v O'Malley fight but in my opinion both fights will be a bloodbath.

I agree, Yan uses O'Malley to pick his teeth.

That’s actually a problem for him; he fights with too much contempt and disrespect in that regard and gets frustrated if he’s not blowing his opponent out. Sterling 2 obviously had needle to it, but it highlighted something Yan always does, which is drive forward quite dismissively and if someone has the power as well as the technique, they can capitalise on that or at least make things interesting. Yan simply has had too much to him for most up until now, but that 2nd fight will not have gone under the radar, and I doubt Yan modifies himself in any way off the back of that fight - pretty sure he’ll do the same again should he meet Sterling for a trilogy, actually.

Half my expectation is he just walks through O’Malley like he does with 99.9% of people he fights, and the other thinks he keeps him out and Yan gets obstinate to prove he can get in his way making for an interesting contest.

I agree in a regard - but his problem was his lack of takedown defence in that second fight. In the first, he squandered each chance, but in the second, he didn't seem as sharp. Strikers don't need to know how to grapple/wrestle if they have good takedown defence, see Izzy etc. I still think Yan is the better fighter of the two and would probably win a third fight, but in the least Aljo has potentially identified a weakness.

I agree with you re. O'malley though. I am a big fan of both fighters, amongst my favourite in the competition, they symbolise both sides of the spectrum. You have someone crafty and unorthodox in Sean and someone who is just so good at the fundamentals in Yan. That being said, Yan is just too good imo. Considering Sean won't be taking him to the ground, I don't see him winning. Yan is like a computer, he just figures fighters out as the fight goes on.

Who's winning between TJ Pillashaw vs. Daniel Day Sterling?

Think Aljo takes it. TJ has as much mystique around his dominant performances as Jon Jones does. USADA rendered both of them into far lesser fighters. Sandhagen beat TJ imo and Aljo is a better all round fighter than Sandhagen is.

What a demolition just know in Bellator. Tosiq Musayev just bulldozed Sidney Outlaw and finished the fight with 3 punches. Perfect.

Last edited:
I agree in a regard - but his problem was his lack of takedown defence in that second fight. In the first, he squandered each chance, but in the second, he didn't seem as sharp. Strikers don't need to know how to grapple/wrestle if they have good takedown defence, see Izzy etc. I still think Yan is the better fighter of the two and would probably win a third fight, but in the least Aljo has potentially identified a weakness.
Yeah I didn't mention the wrestling because of the way Yan's stand up was - he wanted so badly to take Sterling's head off that he was overcommiting on strikes and making openings Sterling didn't really have to work hard for.

I don't know if he hit a wall because of Sterling's ability to capitalise on his every mistake or because he was making those mistakes in the first place. He was wound tightly and probably had an adrenaline dump as well as inability to think clearly, so badly did he want to destroy Sterling. It was uncharacteristic of Yan, who people consider cold-blooded and systematic, but it showed that he can be triggered and fight off emotion, which in turn provides openings if the opponent has the tools to exploit.

O'Malley's actual, outright power is really decisive for me because Yan will give him openings and opportunities to land, but if he doesn't respect the power, he'll just maul him and have an easy night. If he's walking O'Malley down and the jabs are jarring enough for him to respect them, then the whole fight is different and I think Yan won't take kindly to a "clown" goading him when he's the guy who suffocates the guy others are supposed to fear. I reckon that emotional trigger can be hit by O'Malley.
I agree with you re. O'malley though. I am a big fan of both fighters, amongst my favourite in the competition, they symbolise both sides of the spectrum. You have someone crafty and unorthodox in Sean and someone who is just so good at the fundamentals in Yan. That being said, Yan is just too good imo. Considering Sean won't be taking him to the ground, I don't see him winning. Yan is like a computer, he just figures fighters out as the fight goes on.
My take on the bolded is that it doesn't take long before opponents he's faced are mentally shot and physically outmatched and can no longer handle the constant pressure. Yan has done what he wants in the octagon for a long time now; not sure he necessarily figures people out, he just overwhelms them, and last time out when that didn't work, he had no deep modification or alternate strategy to turn to.

If O'Malley has the power to keep him out and is fighting long and loose, I am actually curious to see what Yan does differently to counter that, personally.

Yeah I didn't mention the wrestling because of the way Yan's stand up was - he wanted so badly to take Sterling's head off that he was overcommiting on strikes and making openings Sterling didn't really have to work hard for.

I don't know if he hit a wall because of Sterling's ability to capitalise on his every mistake or because he was making those mistakes in the first place. He was wound tightly and probably had an adrenaline dump as well as inability to think clearly, so badly did he want to destroy Sterling. It was uncharacteristic of Yan, who people consider cold-blooded and systematic, but it showed that he can be triggered and fight off emotion, which in turn provides openings if the opponent has the tools to exploit.

O'Malley's actual, outright power is really decisive for me because Yan will give him openings and opportunities to land, but if he doesn't respect the power, he'll just maul him and have an easy night. If he's walking O'Malley down and the jabs are jarring enough for him to respect them, then the whole fight is different and I think Yan won't take kindly to a "clown" goading him when he's the guy who suffocates the guy others are supposed to fear. I reckon that emotional trigger can be hit by O'Malley.

My take on the bolded is that it doesn't take long before opponents he's faced are mentally shot and physically outmatched and can no longer handle the constant pressure. Yan has done what he wants in the octagon for a long time now; not sure he necessarily figures people out, he just overwhelms them, and last time out when that didn't work, he had no deep modification or alternate strategy to turn to.

If O'Malley has the power to keep him out and is fighting long and loose, I am actually curious to see what Yan does differently to counter that, personally.

Yan is going to take him down and maul him. His weakness is the ground/transition game and that's where Aljo beat him. I reckon he shores up that weakness and uses it against sugar.

Yan is going to take him down and maul him. His weakness is the ground/transition game and that's where Aljo beat him. I reckon he shores up that weakness and uses it against sugar.
I just think he's too proud to do that after how they've been talking. The point will be proven by Yan beating him at his strength and unless he goes straight in there to get it done by any means necessary, he won't want to 'have' to resort to that to beat someone he considers a clown.

Besides, he's still got to get inside to make that happen, which I still think boils down to the power and length being deterrents if able enough.

For the record, I think the contest is a formality and easy win for Yan if O'Malley can't earn his respect.

Who's winning between TJ Pillashaw vs. Daniel Day Sterling?
fancy TJ for it. I have absolutely no idea why….I just think he’ll be too crafty to let Aljo take his back, which renders the rest of Aljo’s game irrelevant
Think Aljo takes it. TJ has as much mystique around his dominant performances as Jon Jones does. USADA rendered both of them into far lesser fighters. Sandhagen beat TJ imo and Aljo is a better all round fighter than Sandhagen is.
This is true, I’ve rewatched it twice and still can’t see a TJ win. In his defence though he was struggling with an horrendous cut, and didn’t he feck his knee up early as well?

That’s curtains for Alexander’s career surely

Gus has never been the same since the Anthony Johnson KO. That complete robbed him of his confidence and he never recovered.

Probably just me here but I really hope this Paddy guy gets sparked out.
I’m not too bothered either way

I’m enjoying his run at the moment so at least he makes things interesting. UFC is starved for personalities these days so I am glad Paddy is doing his thing

As soon as he meets a decent fighter he is gone though . Maybe tonight, if not he will get his commeupance soon

I don’t personally see the massive appeal. I’ve only watched his first fight though, wasn’t impressed, but I’d be happy to be proved wrong
The English mma fans are desperate to have someone to follow.
I say take Conor, us Irish are happy to hand him over

Has the scouser from the Inbetweeners been decked yet?