The MMA thread

A few moths ago, I was playing pull the rope with my dogs... for a second I got distracted and one dog pulled it hard, pulling my shoulder or something with it. I think the same happened to Brian as he was trying to pull out his arm.

Had me fecked for several weeks.

A few moths ago, I was playing pull the rope with my dogs... for a second I got distracted and one dog pulled it hard, pulling my shoulder or something with it. I think the same happened to Brian as he was trying to pull out his arm.

Had me fecked for several weeks.
Thought that was going to be an mma story at the start…..was very disappointed to find out you got tko’d by your dog. And the dog didn’t even mean it

Thought that was going to be an mma story at the start…..was very disappointed to find out you got tko’d by your dog. And the dog didn’t even mean it

:lol: Pathetic really. Gonna go out now and fight him.

Those knee injuries are a motherfecker. Must be demoralising to come back only for it to gave out right away.

He's going to stand with him - ignoring his coaches and the gameplan - to prove that he can and make this a very unpredictable fight indeed.

He'll smash Nate for the first 2.5 rounds, before Nate turns it round as he gasses... it'll be entertaining, at the very least.

He's going to stand with him - ignoring his coaches and the gameplan - to prove that he can and make this a very unpredictable fight indeed.

He'll smash Nate for the first 2.5 rounds, before Nate turns it round as he gasses... it'll be entertaining, at the very least.

True that.

Hopefully Nate can survive the first half of the fight. I want to see Dana's face when the fight starts shifting towards Nate.

True that.

Hopefully Nate can survive the first half of the fight. I want to see Dana's face when the fight starts shifting towards Nate.
Nate's as durable as anything, and as long as not stopped on cuts, is highly unlikely to get knocked out (always reminds me of Homer with that); his vulnerability is accumulative damage to the calves, but Khamzat hasn't shown any propensity for even going for the legs, let alone doing it systematically. Plus he has the ego, naivety and aggression to go headhunting all night, which is custom made for Nate.

I really think if the fight goes to deep rounds Nate will win because Khamzat will gas having punched himself out at a time when Nate will really pick up the pace.

It's not Dana-like to take risks like this unless he wants someone out the picture, so I wonder why he's doing this. I suppose if Khamzat listens to his corner and executes a wrestling gameplan, this mightn't even last a round, but the kid's a hothead who completely believes in himself and is extremely easy to gode and coax out of the sensible rout.

Nate's energy, shit talk and pre-fight antics are, for me, surefire ways he gets what he wants and gives himself a hell of a chance. I think Khamzat would have gone that way regardless, but Nate is the lit match next to the lighter fluid that ensures it only goes one way.

True that.

Nate has only been stopped twice in his career, last time was Josh Thompson in 2013 and before that a very early fight in 2006. He's incredibly hard to submit because he's always had a great BJJ game.

It'll stop with doctors stoppage well before it gets too the rounds where Nate can implement his cardio. Like that fight against Masvidal.

Just came to post this... Let's see how he spins his own death into a win.

:lol: I just hope Yan's tendency to start slow doesn't cost him here. I'd much prefer this to be a five-rounder to maximise the chances of O' Malley getting thrashed, but I'm still optimistic Yan will get it done in three.

280 is looking pretty special right now:

Olives vs Islam
Sterling vs TJ
Belal vs Brady
Yan vs O'Malley
Dariush vs Gamrot

that's crazy stacked already, hopefully they all make it to the octagon.

But why? Has O'Malley beaten anyone? Seems like the UFC has been protecting him, now they feed him to the sharks? Weird.
Other way round; he's been cherry-picking opponents and very much molding his path to the top as he wanted. He's been called out for doing so, and all of a sudden is calling out the very best on social media - if hadn't have been Yan, he was genuinely gunning for Cejudo.

It seems as though people have gotten under his skin and he's done an about turn since. He was going at it with Cormier just recently, too. Obviously not to fight, but calling him out on what he deemed unfair.

Other way round; he's been cherry-picking opponents and very much molding his path to the top as he wanted. He's been called out for doing so, and all of a sudden is calling out the very best on social media - if hadn't have been Yan, he was genuinely gunning for Cejudo.

It seems as though people have gotten under his skin and he's done an about turn since. He was going at it with Cormier just recently, too. Obviously not to fight, but calling him out on what he deemed unfair.
You can only mould a path to the top if a fighter can get to the top, which Sean cannot. So they feed him wrestlers so we can enjoy his striking, which is very good.

Rocky better throw in the towel before Drago kills him this time.

You can only mould a path to the top if a fighter can get to the top, which Sean cannot. So they feed him wrestlers so we can enjoy his striking, which is very good.

Rocky better throw in the towel before Drago kills him this time.
We’ll, he’s doing what he can to disprove that by going for the big guns, and fair fecks to him for jumping off easy street straight into a proper underdog story.

:lol:

A lot of people get fresh with Cormier mistaking his happy go lucky retirement persona for the person he is when everything is stripped back. They poke the bear, not seeming to realise it’s a bear, or totally assured he’ll keep a lid on it and not turn them into a pretzel. It’s quite weird, and morbidly fascinating at the same time.

A lot of people get fresh with Cormier mistaking his happy go lucky retirement persona for the person he is when everything is stripped back. They poke the bear, not seeming to realise it’s a bear, or totally assured he’ll keep a lid on it and not turn them into a pretzel. It’s quite weird, and morbidly fascinating at the same time.
Oh sure, that’s just a hilarious visual. Even funnier because aren’t they more or less the same height. One’s just twice the size of the other.

Case in point:

Oh sure, that’s just a hilarious visual. Even funnier because aren’t they more or less the same height. One’s just twice the size of the other.
:lol: You see the look on Cormier’s face once in a while and it’s like a snapshot of what he thinks; that guy who won the other day and started mouthing off at him, where Cormier told him you didn’t beat me in there...! it’s a sight!

:lol: great minds lads!

DC's explanation of it, for anyone who doesn't know the context - https://www.mmafighting.com/2022/6/...tion-at-ufc-austin-admits-he-was-a-little-bit

Daniel Cormier wants it to be known that there’s no beef between himself and UFC middleweight contender Phil Hawes.

The former two-division champion and Hawes shared a tense moment in the cage at UFC Austin this past Saturday after Hawes’ impressive win over Deron Winn. Cameras captured a heated exchange between the two and it was initially unclear what the issue was, though speculation quickly arose on social media that it was due to Cormier and Winn’s close friendship.

Hawes apologized to Cormier later that evening and now Cormier is sharing his account of the incident, including what exactly sparked the confrontation.

“Fight ends, I get up to go do the interview,” Cormier said via YouTube. “As soon as the fight’s over, I press the cough button, drop my head set, and I walk towards the ring, and I can hear Phil yelling at [commentators Dominick Cruz and Brendan Fitzgerald], ‘Where’s DC? Where’s DC?’ while I was walking into the octagon. I step into the octagon and Phil is doing something that we call in Louisiana, ‘Booting up.’ This dude’s booting up on me. Phil’s like this, ‘What’s up, man? What’s up?’ And I was like, what is going on? He’s booting up on me. So I’m like, ‘Me?’ to Phil. And Phil’s kind of telling me that I picked the wrong opponent. Well, if you want to know where that stems from, here it is. I’ll tell you exactly what it stems from.

“When I was in Abu Dhabi, before [when] Phil was managed by this guy named Daniel Rubenstein, he asked me to sit with Phil at Fight Island. Phil and I sat with his advisor, a guy that he’s very close to and we talked and we spoke and then we talked about Phil coming out to AKA to train with me. What happened next was the UFC called and asked for Deron Winn to fight Phil Hawes.”

According to Cormier, he immediately questioned the wisdom of the matchup as he didn’t like the wrestler vs. wrestler clash on paper and didn’t see it as a good fit for Winn. Hawes and Winn had also seen two previous bookings fall through, so Cormier was ready for his protege to move on to a different opponent.

Somehow, this discussion made its way to Hawes’ camp and the fast-rising middleweight took it as a personal slight.

“I said ‘no’ to the fight,” Cormier said. “I didn’t think it was a great fight and obviously look at what played out. It’s not like I was wrong in my thought in regards to the matchup. So Phil is saying I picked the wrong opponent. So I say to Phil, ‘Do you think I pick fights? Do you think I make the fights?’ I go, ‘Phil, that’s ridiculous. I don’t make the fights, my friend. Be respectful. Be respectful.’

“Phil being the great guy that he is, he immediately gets that. Phil’s not a bad guy, that’s what people don’t understand. I hold no ill will towards Phil Hawes for last weekend. He’s high on adrenaline, he had the best performance of his entire career. He feels like King Kong, he feels great out there, he’s hyped up, he’s got this idea — probably something that has motivated him throughout the entire camp — to go and put me in my place because I picked him as Deron’s opponent. The reality is I didn’t do that.”

While Cormier is glad that the situation was quickly defused, he admits that there was a moment where Hawes was genuinely under his skin. Part of the reason Cormier was so bothered by the exchange is that he believes when fighters defeat an associate of a top name, they feel as if they’ve indirectly landed a hit on the elite fighter in question.

Cormier just doesn’t believe that’s the case and it took him a minute to check himself and calm down.

“I think a lot of guys deal with this,” Cormier said. “Myself, Khabib Nurmagomedov. The moment somebody beats one of those guys [Nurmagomedov is associated with], they’re going to feel like they beat Khabib. When people beat my son in a wrestling match, they feel like they got something over on me, but they’re not. They didn’t beat me and that’s what I told Phil. That’s what I told Phil, I go, ‘Phil, you didn’t beat me.’

“Now at this point, I’m a little bit pissed off. Because I’m like, ‘Wow, what is going on here?’ I’m from Louisiana and I’m a fighter and you cannot turn that off. But Phil, to his defense, immediately recognizes that he may be in the wrong. His entire team’s off to the side going, ‘DC, it’s all good’ behind him, he’s just warped up. Everybody came and shaked my hand and we go back and we do the interview. Two professionals doing exactly what we were supposed to do.”

If anything, Cormier is glad that he and Hawes had their run-in and that they were able to handle it professionally without further incident. He hopes to see Hawes grow from the experience just as he has from various confrontations over the course of his combat sports career.

Cormier noted that Hawes reached out with an apology via text and that the door is still open for them to train together.

“I have nothing but respect for him and if he fights in the manner that he fought on Saturday, this kid has all the potential in the world to be a world champion,” Cormier said. “That is how good I believe Phil Hawes is. I think he can be world champ if he fights like he did last weekend. He’s that good.”

We’ll, he’s doing what he can to disprove that by going for the big guns, and fair fecks to him for jumping off easy street straight into a proper underdog story.
Part of me thinks he can potshot Yan and run, if Yan starts slow he’d have a chance over 3 rounds to sneak a decision. Sandhagen started pretty well against him.

Another part of me thinks he’ll he brutally beaten to shit

I will unhappily eat my words if Sean can even look like he belongs in the cage with Yan. I hope he can, while I get annoyed he never had to fight anyone with skill, I do enjoy watching his striking.

Part of me thinks he can potshot Yan and run, if Yan starts slow he’d have a chance over 3 rounds to sneak a decision. Sandhagen started pretty well against him.

Another part of me thinks he’ll he brutally beaten to shit
I will unhappily eat my words if Sean can even look like he belongs in the cage with Yan. I hope he can, while I get annoyed he never had to fight anyone with skill, I do enjoy watching his striking.
Not sure how I’d call this; O’Malley’s legs are there to be hit continuously unless he’s really learned to check kicks, but outside of that, I am not sure Yan is going to find it easy in stand-up phases. Perhaps if he isn’t bothered by the strikes coming back at him and their power, but if he is, then it could well be long night for him with a point scoring contest that favours O’Malley and his length.

Agree that if he can’t keep Yan off him, it’ll be an absolute mauling, but that’ll be what the whole contest is about, really.

We’ll get to see just how good O’Malley is; personally, I think he’s a lot better than people who don’t like him want to admit and I wouldn’t be surprised if he holds his own or even pulls off the ‘shock’ win. Really comes down to O’Malley’s power, for me. If he jars Yan early, the tactical element will come to the fore. If he can stay long, we’ve seen that Yan can get frustrated and myopic so there’s more to this than a rollover formality, for me.

Watch Yan spark him inside 15 seconds now! :lol: