The Manchester Title Race

Win the next two and I think we'll be alright. It means we can go into the City game with a minimum of five points clear, no matter what the result is there, then we should definitely be able to take four points from our last two. And that's on the proviso that City win all their games.

Itd have to be win the last two i think, because city will have a better goal dif,

Win our home games and we'll win the title IMO, and Villa, Everton and Swansea are all very winnable home games. I can't see us losing to both City and Sunderland away and I can't see City winning all their games either, especially with aways at Norwich and Newcastle.

I find it extraordinary that people seem to fearful about our trip to City. Why shouldnt we go there and get a draw? We are Man United FFS.

They are a very good team who pasted us 6-1 at Old Trafford earlier in the season, and we have a fairly poor record against our title rivals in recent years in the League. If you're not fearful that we may lose at Manchester City then I think you're deluding yourself, they could well beat us.

If we won last night but City had won against Arse, the game would still have been 5 points.. But I'm sure I would be feeling more confident now had that been the case..
The lead is good enough. The fear is we might slip up again..
But no more midweek games. 5 weeks, 5 games. Go out and try to win them. No tinkering with the squads, no sitting back at 1-0 and risking getting sucker punched.

5 games to go..

They are a very good team who pasted us 6-1 at Old Trafford earlier in the season, and we have a fairly poor record against our title rivals in recent years in the League. If you're not fearful that we may lose at Manchester City then I think you're deluding yourself, they could well beat us.

Of course they might beat us but to be fearful of it? really?

fecking hell, you wouldn't have thought we've beaten City twice this season, reading some of this shit. This is where our experience will tell, City are more susceptible to momentum changes but the experience of Rio, Giggs, Scholes, Carrick, Rooney and SAF will see us through. Of course it will be a difficult game but anything could happen, City might drop points before that.

Its possible but I see no reason to fear anyone.

OK I am a little bit apprehensive about Barca. Borderline nervous. But not fearful. It is a complete coincidence that a shat my pants that time.

God dam it, If only we had an opportunity this season to go to the Etihad and beat them, o well

fecking hell, you wouldn't have thought we've beaten City twice this season, reading some of this shit. This is where our experience will tell, City are more susceptible to momentum changes but the experience of Rio, Giggs, Scholes, Carrick, Rooney and SAF will see us through.

The games we're played against City this season are worthless for analysis, the first one City weren't fit for, and the 1-6 and 2-3 were effectively ended by stupid decisions on the part of Kompany and Evans. Talking about teams being 'more susceptible to momentum changes' is ridiculous, we had a pretty severe 'momentum change' last night despite Rio, Giggs, Carrick and Rooney playing and having Ferguson on the sidelines.

The games we're played against City this season are worthless for analysis, the first one City weren't fit for, and the 1-6 and 2-3 were effectively ended by stupid decisions on the part of Kompany and Evans. Talking about teams being 'more susceptible to momentum changes' is ridiculous, we had a pretty severe 'momentum change' last night despite Rio, Giggs, Carrick and Rooney playing and having Ferguson on the sidelines.

Err ok so you're afraid about a game when you are discounting all prior games between the two sides, basically starting off on a clean slate. You've totally missed the point about momentum change too, all of sudden City feel like they have a chance again after writing themselves off, our squad in comparison won't start shitting themselves or be susceptible to such sudden changes in attitude. They know there will be more twists and turns, the experience will show through, last night we played poorly and the reaction is the most important thing.

Also why weren't City fit for the first game, they started the season off pretty well.

Err ok so you're afraid about a game when you are discounting all prior games between the two sides, basically starting off on a clean slate.

Am I fearful we might lose when going away to a team who are about as good as us? Absolutely

You've totally missed the point about momentum change too, all of sudden City feel like they have a chance again after writing themselves off, our squad in comparison won't start shitting themselves or be susceptible to such sudden changes in attitude. They know there will be more twists and turns, the experience will show through, last night we played poorly and the reaction is the most important thing.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, they may be optimistic now and go out and win, or if they lose, they may feel that the pressure's on them. On the other hand, they may feel that the pressure's back on them because they won, and lose a game as a result, or they might feel they are out of it with a bad result and crumble after it. It's all amateur psychologist bullshit, unless you have some sort of qualification I'm not inclined to take you very seriously on it.

Also why weren't City fit for the first game, they started the season off pretty well.

Did you watch them? It was only the Community Shield and they were aware of that. Why do you think Aguero didn't play?

Am I fearful we might lose when going away to a team who are about as good as us? Absolutely

That's not necessarily a bad thing, they may be optimistic now and go out and win, or if they lose, they may feel that the pressure's on them. On the other hand, they may feel that the pressure's back on them because they won, and lose a game as a result, or they might feel they are out of it with a bad result and crumble after it. It's all amateur psychologist bullshit, unless you have some sort of qualification I'm not inclined to take you very seriously on it.

Did you watch them? It was only the Community Shield and they were aware of that. Why do you think Aguero didn't play?

Anything can happen, no reason to fear anything.

It's no amateur psychologist bullshit either, we have experience on our side. You can see City aren't quite sure of themselves, Mancini went from saying the title is over if we beat QPR and they lost to Arsenal to now saying they every chance. SAF would never publically give up like that. As for the Community Shield, Aguero had the Copa America so he was a bit behind but we were missing Valencia and Chicharito too IIRC. Their form after that wasn't of a team that was considerably behind us in terms of fitness.

The easiest way to get a result at the Etihad is to win the next two home games and go there with their fans and players knowing we can win the title on that night. Bums won't get any squeakier.

This is the way I see the final 5 Games.

Norwich v City - DRAW
United v A Villa - HOME WIN 7 pts clear

Wolves v City - AWAY WIN
United v Everton - DRAW 5 pts clear

City v United - HOME WIN 2 pts clear

Newcastle v City - DRAW
United v Swansea - HOME WIN 4 pts clear - NUMBER 20......

LAST GAME DONT MATTER.....

Lining up the matches like that makes me calm down a bit. Seriously I was fecking bricking it a couple of minutes ago.

Norwich vs City - 1-2
Man Utd vs Villa - 2-0

5 pts

Wolves vs City - 0-3
Man Utd vs Everton - 2-1

5 pts

City vs Man Utd - 2-1

2 pts

Newcastle vs City - 2-2
Man Utd vs Swansea - 3-0

4 pts - champions!

I think we'll do it.

Norwich 1 - City 2 (two points)
United 3 - Villa 0 (five points)

United 3 Everton 1 (eight points)
Wolves 0 City 2 (five points)

City 2 United 3 (eight points)

Confirmed as champions at the council house, last two games are meaningless.

This is the way I see the final 5 Games.

Norwich v City - DRAW
United v A Villa - HOME WIN 7 pts clear

Wolves v City - AWAY WIN
United v Everton - DRAW 5 pts clear

City v United - HOME WIN 2 pts clear

Newcastle v City - DRAW
United v Swansea - HOME WIN 4 pts clear - NUMBER 20......

LAST GAME DONT MATTER.....

Plan M likes this. A lot.

What we must remember is that City MUST win all five games. Assuming we win our other four, we're still two points clear. Gaol difference would mean that they'd win it if we draw one of those games. But as someone pointed out on twitter, we can afford another slip up, they can not. That derby may still be a massive game yet.

We should also remember that they've looked tired since Swansea, they lost. Since then, they've played Chelsea, Sunderland, Arsenal and West Brom. And this is the team that must win every game left to even have a chance of winning it? To go to Norwich and Newcastle (where we were minutes away from taking a grand total of one point), knowing you must win isn't easy.

There's a reason we're still such overwhelming favourites.

What we must remember is that City MUST win all five games. Assuming we win our other four, we're still two points clear. Gaol difference would mean that they'd win it if we draw one of those games. But as someone pointed out on twitter, we can afford another slip up, they can not. That derby may still be a massive game yet.

We should also remember that they've looked tired since Swansea, they lost. Since then, they've played Chelsea, Sunderland, Arsenal and West Brom. And this is the team that must win every game left to even have a chance of winning it? To go to Norwich and Newcastle (where we were minutes away from taking a grand total of one point), knowing you must win isn't easy.

Of course we are.. But we need to take things seriously, and play much better than how we played at Wigan yesterday..

I'm struggling to choose between hypothetical scenario A in which we finish 10 points behind City and scenario B in which we finish 20 points ahead of them. It's that close

I think it's coming down to the final day and it scares me becuase if its a case of goal difference, there's no way we can win that particular battle from here.

In reality a lot would have to go wrong for this to happen but I'm mentally preparing for it anyway ;)

knowing you must win isn't easy.

I agree! Yet, in the game last night, if it was a MUST WIN game for United, I believe truly we would have beaten Wigan, in an injury time drama!

United is notorious in making our lives not as easy:(... But we will win the title eventually.

I'm struggling to choose between hypothetical scenario A in which we finish 10 points behind City and scenario B in which we finish 20 points ahead of them. It's that close

:lol:

We all know it's futile trying to predict the results and the implications but we can't help but do it.... Hopefully the players are sticking to that tired old mantra...

One game at a time.

IF the gap is still five points when we play City the title could easily go eitherway. If they win and its two points with a couple of games to play anything could happen.