Television The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

The more I think about this show, the more I think it would have benefit from being more of a mini series of sorts. By committing to 5 seasons they have to add a lot of fluff.
If that means injecting show's entire budget into 8 episodes to make it closer to Jackson's quality, then this is tempting idea to say the least.

If they really want making 5 seasons to show characters evolving with consequences, then fluff is inevitable, possibly damaging it further, and not even hobbit sex scenes can save it.

Reading threads like this actually help, because it shows that I have also been blinded by the PJ movie portrayal of things:

https://www.reddit.com/r/LOTR_on_Prime/s/egpMuQkGYu

People explaining that in some ways Elves being much more human and flawed is more accurate to Tolkien's descriptions than the ethereal beings they are in the movies. I also like how some comments explain how both portrayals can make sense and be able to co exist.
Elves such as Galadriel was otherworldly due to being touched by the light of the 2 trees of valinor. It doesn't mean that elves were above wordly emotions and ambition, but the foremost elves of the 1st and 2nd generation were more or less on par with the maiar in splendour and power.

Reading threads like this actually help, because it shows that I have also been blinded by the PJ movie portrayal of things:

https://www.reddit.com/r/LOTR_on_Prime/s/egpMuQkGYu

People explaining that in some ways Elves being much more human and flawed is more accurate to Tolkien's descriptions than the ethereal beings they are in the movies. I also like how some comments explain how both portrayals can make sense and be able to co exist.

The most upvoted comment is just two paragraphs of bullshit.

Elves such as Galadriel was otherworldly due to being touched by the light of the 2 trees of valinor. It doesn't mean that elves were above wordly emotions and ambition, but the foremost elves of the 1st and 2nd generation were more or less on par with the maiar in splendour and power.

I honestly think you can rephrase that to "The House Finwe were more or less on par with the Maiar" - With the exception of the descents of Melian the Maia.

Were there any feats of extreme power of those who were not of the house of Finwe? I cannot recall a single one.

The most upvoted comment is just two paragraphs of bullshit.

Curious to hear more. I do think that at least it seems like the almost complete lack of emotion of some of the Elves in the PJ movies obviously added to the ethereal perception. I.e. Legolas being completely unphased by many things like in the drinking competition with Gimli. It made them almost cyborg like at times.

Curious to hear more. I do think that at least it seems like the almost complete lack of emotion of some of the Elves in the PJ movies obviously added to the ethereal perception. I.e. Legolas being completely unphased by many things like in the drinking competition with Gimli. It made them almost cyborg like at times.
So this is the comment I'm referring to:

It’s a good example of how PJ twisted the lore to such an extent that self-proclaimed Tolkien experts now seem to use the PJ films as their touchstone for what is true to lore, rather than Tolkien’s works.

Tolkien himself did not write Elves as these ethereal beings. They are very much physical. They love to party, to eat and drink. They are passionate and arrogant, vain and prideful, and aren’t above a bit of Kinslaying here and there. People like Galadriel are repeatedly described as desiring kingdoms of their own to rule. They have a strict social hierarchy with noble Lords who rule over the common people, and exist in a patriarchal society where Elrond had the power to forbid Arwen from marrying Aragorn until he met Elrond’s conditions. They value beauty to such an extent that they will fight wars over it.

But somehow the fandom has acquired this view of Elves as universally wise pacifist egalitarian vegetarians.

1) They love to party, to eat and drink is mostly accurate.

2) As for very much physical, it depends. There are many "unbodied elves." Elves who naturally fade or unnaturally fade, when their hroa (body) is consumed by their fea (spirit) and they essentially become ethereal, transparent or translucent beings, incapable of fully interacting with the material world. Most Elves who "die" choose to answer the calls of Mandos and become reincarnated in Aman with a new hroa. Some choose to ignore the call of Mandos and instead roam Middle Earth as free-spirits separated from their body.

This is explained in Volume 10 of the History of Middle Earth, entitled Morgoths ring.

https://www.google.co.uk/books/edit...AGYzEAAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&printsec=frontcover

3) As for being passionate and arrogant, vain and prideful and aren't above kingslaying. No, this is not the case for most elves.

This is only the case for a specific house, of a specific sub-group of Elves. Most specifically, the Noldorin house of Finwe had these tendencies. Feanor, the sons of Feanor, Galadriel, Fingolfin, Finarfin had some of these tendencies, with the most displayed by the House of Feanor. This is because the house of Finwe were extremely powerful, talented, and they knew it. The Noldorin were powerful, both physically and in spirit, had an indomitable will (they fought and defeated Morgoth's armies against all odds multiple times), and were the pre-eminent military power in Middle Earth and Aman. Even then, there were many Noldor who were not like this. Finrod is a great example, as is Aegnor.

The other two subgroups, the Teleri and Vanyar were incredibly nature bound and peaceful. For example, even during the height of the first age wars, the elves of Doriath choose to hide in their forests and caves and not participate and be protected by the girdle of Melian even as the world around them is slowly being destroyed. Elu Thingol is portrayed at first as arrogant and vainful but very quickly realizes the folly of his ways and opens up. The other main non-Noldor Elven kingdom is Nargothrond, which is a huge deep under-mountain cave, and again they barely leave and isolate themselves from the outside world until they finally realize that they must do something. To put into perspective, at Nirnaeth Arnoediad (Battle of Unnumbered tears), the Elven alliance lost by a needlethread. Had Thingol and Doriath committed their forces, Melkor would have been defeated. However, even then, the Sindarin's of Doriath preferred isolation.

Even then, by the third age (by the time LOTR happens), the Noldor have mellowed out. They have realized that their ways have led to their destruction and have mellowed down. They become reclusive, such as Lorien and most of the Noldor have left exile and return home to Aman, no longer fuelled by desires of adventure and power. The rest of the non-Aman elves, broad Sindarin and Avedui elves who never went to Aman live in solitude and enjoying life in the forests of Middle Earth.

4) There is no strict social hierarchy. Many powerful Elves exist well outside the hierarchy, in most ages. Even in the First and Second ages, you have elves like Eol who did their own thing. People like Finduilias, and Aredhel did their own thing and such and Turgon of Gondolin allowed them to. They were female and the high king of the Noldor did not tell them what to do. Finrod, Galadriel, constantly disobeyed their High King and people like Celeborn just left Doriath without caring and did what they wanted. The only two cases of patriarchy were Elu Thingol and Elrond, but both were exceptional circumstances, their daughters had fallen in love with mortals and would literally die, so the fathers stepped in trying to protect them when they could.

5) No, they did not just fight wars over "beauty". They fought wars over the last three pieces of what remained of the two trees of valinor in the Silmarils, enchanted to completely entice most people into desiring it by the way it was built by Feanor. To reduce that to "beauty" is hilariously oversimplified. Imagine someone found a stick of god that could create life and change creation. And then people say, "these people are literally fighting over a stick."

By the 3rd age, the Elves were indeed incredibly pacifist peoples who did not care or bother with the broader geopolitics of Middle earth.

There's a good Tolkien quote (as per) around this

In narrative, as soon as the matter becomes 'storial' and not mythical, being in fact human literature, the centre of interest must shift to Men (and their relations with Elves or other creatures). We cannot write stories about Elves, whom we do not know inwardly; and if we try we simply turn Elves into Men.

So I think while Jackson's elves aren't always accurate, they do well at portraying them as unknowable in some way. Obviously, when having them as protagonist of the narrative, this becomes difficult to do, but I think they've made the task extra hard by centring on Galadriel, who's as elfy as you get. As a result, she becomes unremarkable. Elrond has a bit more leeway as he's part human (but then again he's also part god).

I honestly think you can rephrase that to "The House Finwe were more or less on par with the Maiar" - With the exception of the descents of Melian the Maia.

Were there any feats of extreme power of those who were not of the house of Finwe? I cannot recall a single one.

Few bits and pieces, arguably Glorfindel and Ecthelion slaying Balrogs during the fall of Gondolin, but not sure they are “extreme” power.

Edit - particularly Ecthelion who killed the lord of Balrogs. Weren’t the Balrogs considered the equals of the Maiar?

Few bits and pieces, arguably Glorfindel and Ecthelion slaying Balrogs during the fall of Gondolin, but not sure they are “extreme” power.

Edit - particularly Ecthelion who killed the lord of Balrogs. Weren’t the Balrogs considered the equals of the Maiar?

Glorifindel was a lord of the house of Fingolfin and then was a lord of the house of Turgon of gondolin. He would have been related to the house of finwe, probably the scion of one of Finwes “brothers” who were awoken.

Ecthelion was also a lord of fingolfin and a lord of Gondolin therefore of noldorian royal descent.

Glorfindel was a bit overrated, he did kill a balrog but he did so by essentially committing suicide forcing the balrog to die too.

Balrog being corrupted maiar is a complicated topic, and Tolkien himself changed the narrative four times as well as contradict himself multiple times.

Even then, their powers are meh compared to feanor who dies after being ambushed by an army of balrogs but not before slaying plenty, Fingolfin who permanently cripples Morgoth in a 1 on 1 duel,

The only other being to display that level of power was Lúthien, but she was quite literally 50% Maiar and 50% the blood of Elu thingol, the first elf king.

I always thought I was a big LoTR fan until I entered this thread, and realized I in fact know absolutely nothing

Correct. I guess i have a said a few 1st and 2nd generation elves.

Almost every time I start to think there is some sign of promise there will be a dogshit scene immediately afterwards to crush that progress.

If nothing else it is still exceedingly pretty, sigh.

I always thought I was a big LoTR fan until I entered this thread, and realized I in fact know absolutely nothing

:lol: The outrage everywhere almost makes me want to read all of Tolkiens work, just so I can share in the anger.

I'm still watching it, and by now I fully accepted that it will probably always be closer to a Wheel of Time than to a trully great show.

GoT changed everything I'm afraid. it was never about battles or dragons, it was about huge effort put into our pleasure and I don't see anything similar here.

it looks good, but is not even close as captivating or magical as the original trilogy was when it came out. and yet, when there is no action and no big things are happening on the screen, dialogues and acting aren't even close to those in GoT. it's hard to return to a wooden acting being the norm again, but that's how it is.

I still maintain that this is 7/10 show at best and don't think it will ever get much better. at least the episodes are always interesting enough to never bother checking how much is left until the end.

I've watched each episode three times now -

I'm trying so hard to enjoy it but I cannot - it's just a big steaming pile of turd.

Humanizing orcs is .... a choice. Yes, let's humanize the beings whose sole purpose was to be used to destroy Middle earth, defiled and created by Morgoth.

Also, the fecking LOTR_on_prime subreddit is an absolute shitshow of people who refuse to take any criticism but have never read a single book of Tolkien outside of LOTR.

I'm trying so hard to enjoy it but I cannot - it's just a big steaming pile of turd.

Humanizing orcs is .... a choice. Yes, let's humanize the beings whose sole purpose was to be used to destroy Middle earth, defiled and created by Morgoth.
Maybe it's not for you, and that's ok.

You're something of an extreme outlier though. :)
That's not true, for redcafe maybe:

there's is a specific subreddit made for people who dislike ROP due to how much it destroys Tolkiens work and theres...ALOT of people....

Take for example this; 2 things they got right in 3 episodes.

I’m enjoying the stuff with the elves, Sauron, the hobbits and the Stranger, but I find the dwarves and Numenor bits so, so dull. It all still looks very good though, but it should look good considering how much has been spent on it.

Tolkien included a fairly full conversation between orcs that humanised them, even if it didn't make you sympathise with them. And his catholic brain made him worry about things like them having free will, and therefore having souls, and therefore perhaps having an afterlife. Not one of the (many) genuine problems the show has.

Save yourself the hassle, they're painful to read. Sorry Tolkien fans. Much rather this TV series.

Which books did you struggle with?

I can imagine Lore and Customs of the Eldar and History of Middle Earth being dreadful reads for people not that vested into Middle Earth:

But LOTR and Silmarillion are enthralling reads - especially subsections of Silmarillion like the Tale of Beren and Luthien and Children of Hurin.

Also, the fecking LOTR_on_prime subreddit is an absolute shitshow of people who refuse to take any criticism but have never read a single book of Tolkien outside of LOTR.
I like the show and i like the books. Its possible believe it or not. Only thing I really can't stand is the Numenor cheese. And fecking Theo.

Let's face it- no TV show or movie will ever truly satisfy the purists.

I like the show and i like the books. Its possible believe it or not. Only thing I really can't stand is the Numenor cheese. And fecking Theo.

Does the fact that the characters have no resemblance to the actual canon characters not bother you?

If they just renamed the characters and made the show about, "General Finduilias" and rename Galadriel to her, and made it up to whatever, it would have been fine.

Which books did you struggle with?

I can imagine Lore and Customs of the Eldar and History of Middle Earth being dreadful reads for people not that vested into Middle Earth:

But LOTR and Silmarillion are enthralling reads - especially subsections of Silmarillion like the Tale of Beren and Luthien and Children of Hurin.

Silmarillion is unreadable. I didn't mind the Fellowship but TTT was painfully boring. Nevermind all the poetry I skipped. You love his work, which is great but a lot don't.

Silmarillion is unreadable. I didn't mind the Fellowship but TTT was painfully boring. Nevermind all the poetry I skipped. You love his work, which is great but a lot don't.

I'm not forcing you to try and like it, but just for my own understanding: What made Silmarillion unreadable for you?

(My missus feels the same way)

Does the fact that the characters have no resemblance to the actual canon characters not bother you?

If they just renamed the characters and made the show about, "General Finduilias" and rename Galadriel to her, and made it up to whatever, it would have been fine.
Nope. I never imagined they would even attempt to make a show about something that hasnt already been beaten to death umpteen times (LotR) or cannot rely on a full blown written story as a backbone so I mostly just learned to appreciate it for what it is.

That's what I was like with season 1. I watched episode 5 three times before I dropped it altogether. Just too boring to hold my attention.

Checked the reviews and here and it seems like it's the same problems with season 2.

Weird thing about Numenor is on the face of it it's the easiest to generate drama from, but what we've got instead is some cheap soap opera. That usurpation scene was a little bit laughable in execution. The complete lack of Anarion continues to be baffling as well.

Weird thing about Numenor is on the face of it it's the easiest to generate drama from, but what we've got instead is some cheap soap opera. That usurpation scene was a little bit laughable in execution. The complete lack of Anarion continues to be baffling as well.

The lack of Anarion isn't even the weirdest.

The weirdest is making Valandil, Isildur's son, a random mate of his. Are they going to make Valandil become the King of Arnor?

The lack of Anarion isn't even the weirdest.

The weirdest is making Valandil, Isildur's son, a random mate of his. Are they going to make Valandil become the King of Arnor?
I figured he'd die and Isildur would just name him after him, but who knows anymore, particularly with Celebrian still a glint in undead-Celeborn's eye.