Television The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

It's funny, he played a young Ned stark in GOT and absolutely nailed it, but he doesn't have the gravitas of a Hugo weaving. I'm hoping he'll be better this season.
For me he was comfortably one of the better performers of season 1, I can at least see a character he's trying to get into, his problem is the usual hokey writing and dodgy character design (the floppy hair doesn't help matters). I just hope they're not trying to push him towards the "men are weak" thing, which is one of my least favourite things in the Jackson films.

What did you think of Hugo Weaving as Elrond?

I thought he nailed the gravitas and persona of the Elrond that Jackson wanted him to be portrayed as, but I still think there were a few discrepancies:

1) He basically was too old, Elrond looked about 30ish by the time LOTR came to be.
2) He was really harsh to Aragorn, and for people who haven't read the books/the appendix, they won't see that Elrond was basically Aragorn's father in all but blood, who supported him at every turn and carved him into the man he would be.
3) He was a bit too stern. In the books, Tolkien describes him, "As kind as summer".
Pretty much bang on really. Weaving wouldn't have been my first choice, or my tenth, but he was ok.

I expected someone more ... Ageless. I was bummed out about his sons not featuring too.

Pretty much bang on really. Weaving wouldn't have been my first choice, or my tenth, but he was ok.

I expected someone more ... Ageless. I was bummed out about his sons not featuring too.

eugh this makes me fantasize about a TV show called “peredhel” which explores the life of the lineage of the half elves.

Season 1: Beren and Lúthien and ends with the birth of Dior.

Season 2: Tuor and Idril alongside death of Elu, ascension of Dior and ends with Ëarendil seeking refuge in siron and Elwing seeking refuge in siron after the kinslaying.

Season 3: focuses on Elrond and Elros childhood and fostering by the sons of feanor and ends after war of wrath

Season 4: Elrond in second age and Elros forming the kingdom of Numenor.

Season 5: focus on Elladan, Elrohir and Arwen, ending in the end of a tale of Aragorn and Arwen.

This would be incredible if done well but alas it’s a pipe dream that will never happen

Honestly thinking about it Michael fassbender may be a good choice.

Stoic, gravitas, has a kind face and expressions and can also pull off the soldier, looked 30 when he was 20, looked 30 when he was 45. He was in band of brothers during the time of lotr

What did you think of Hugo Weaving as Elrond?

I thought he nailed the gravitas and persona of the Elrond that Jackson wanted him to be portrayed as, but I still think there were a few discrepancies:

1) He basically was too old, Elrond looked about 30ish by the time LOTR came to be.
2) He was really harsh to Aragorn, and for people who haven't read the books/the appendix, they won't see that Elrond was basically Aragorn's father in all but blood, who supported him at every turn and carved him into the man he would be.
3) He was a bit too stern. In the books, Tolkien describes him, "As kind as summer".
When you watch the behind the scenes diaries and daily production reports that were coming out, it seems that some of the characters are "less Tolkien" and more Jackson, in the book of the films, it's also stated that Christopher Tolkien had a big say in LOTR, but less so in the Hobbit trilogy (which some say is the reason for Legolas and Turiel).

When you watch the behind the scenes diaries and daily production reports that were coming out, it seems that some of the characters are "less Tolkien" and more Jackson, in the book of the films, it's also stated that Christopher Tolkien had a big say in LOTR, but less so in the Hobbit trilogy (which some say is the reason for Legolas and Turiel).
Shame Del Toro never got to make his version of The Hobbit.

eugh this makes me fantasize about a TV show called “peredhel” which explores the life of the lineage of the half elves.

Season 1: Beren and Lúthien and ends with the birth of Dior.

Season 2: Tuor and Idril alongside death of Elu, ascension of Dior and ends with Ëarendil seeking refuge in siron and Elwing seeking refuge in siron after the kinslaying.

Season 3: focuses on Elrond and Elros childhood and fostering by the sons of feanor and ends after war of wrath

Season 4: Elrond in second age and Elros forming the kingdom of Numenor.

Season 5: focus on Elladan, Elrohir and Arwen, ending in the end of a tale of Aragorn and Arwen.

This would be incredible if done well but alas it’s a pipe dream that will never happen
I'll die on the hill that this show should've been Elrond focused tbh, he has a much more natural character arc than Galadriel and they probably had enough on the rights front to show the fall of Gondolin and Earendil/Elwing at the War of Wrath in a prologue, rather than the half-arsed bit we got on Finrod. Him going to Numenor would actually matter somewhat. I think Nori Brandyfoot had about as much screentime as him last season.

Ahh the dynamics of this don't make sense to me.

Galadriel exists outside of the Noldor power structure. She is so respected, and so revered, she practically can do what she wants and no Noldorian King has the will, or intention to stop her. As shown many times in the second and first age, she basically fecks off whenever she wants to do whatever she wants, and brings other Noldorians and Sindarins with her and nobody will tell her to stop. For example, despite the fact that the Elves of Doriath hate the Noldo for basically genociding their Teleri kin at Aquilonde, Galadriel is the only one admitted to Doriath to study under Melian the Maia.

Furthermore, Galadriel is the last of the children of Finarfin in Middle Earth. She is the only family that Gil-Galad left in the world who hasn't had to be reincarnated in the halls of Mandos and is still in Middle Earth. His sister got impaled by orcs due to Turin Turambar, his father and mother died at the sacking of Nagaroth, he had no aunts and uncles and every single one of his grandparents siblings died in the wars of Beleriand save for one...Galadriel. His great-grandparents all perished in the same war.

Galadriel, quite literally, is the only remaining family he has left. She is the last scion of the house of Finwe other than himself...and this is how he treats her?

I understand drama and conflict but this is breaking the lore so badly.
Fact of the matter is the fraction of viewers who are that well versed on the lore is miniscule..hell I've read Lord of the Rings, the Hobbit and the appendices several times and I don't know all that. For the hardcore Tolkien purists im sure this show isnt true to lore but unlike even Game of Thrones - id say the number of people who fall into that category are few and far between in the grand scheme of things. People were already complaining GoT had too many things to track to make sense of, and that doesn't even have the mystical/religious/supernatural elements to it anywhere close to what Tolkien conjured up.

The one thing this show has working against it more for some of the average viewer is the comparison to the LotR movies. Someone like a Galadriel was beautifully played by Blanchett as an ethereal being of unknown power, this version is more human in that sense. Same even with several others like Elrond. But- this is still set eons before that timeline so I'm willing to believe even they had to go through the Elvish equivalent of their teenage years. It does make the show a bit more relatable which I think is why GoT did so well at first. Characters are grey, not just black and white - and have flaws of their own.

Fact of the matter is the fraction of viewers who are that well versed on the lore is miniscule..hell I've read Lord of the Rings, the Hobbit and the appendices several times and I don't know all that. For the hardcore Tolkien purists im sure this show isnt true to lore but unlike even Game of Thrones - id say the number of people who fall into that category are few and far between in the grand scheme of things. People were already complaining GoT had too many things to track to make sense of, and that doesn't even have the mystical/religious/supernatural elements to it anywhere close to what Tolkien conjured up.

The one thing this show has working against it more for some of the average viewer is the comparison to the LotR movies. Someone like a Galadriel was beautifully played by Blanchett as an ethereal being of unknown power, this version is more human in that sense. Same even with several others like Elrond. But- this is still set eons before that timeline so I'm willing to believe even they had to go through the Elvish equivalent of their teenage years. It does make the show a bit more relatable which I think is why GoT did so well at first. Characters are grey, not just black and white - and have flaws of their own.

This isn't wrong - Galadriel did go through her learning/maturing/"teenage" years - about 5000-2000 years before Rings of Power.

She studied under the Valar in Aman, saw the light of the two trees. She was incredibly proud and arrogant and stubborn and it did rub people off the wrong way. But she then exiled herself to middle earth and studied under Melian the Maia and that's when she matured, about 2500 years before the current timeline. By the time of Rings of Power, she was already the ruler of a nation. She basically decided to carve a kingdom out of Lindon (Gil-Galad's kingdom) and rule it and Gil-Galad didn't even blink and let her do what she wanted. Then she ruled Eriador before founding and ruling Eregion. You know that kingdom that Celembrimbor rules and the one that is under siege in the trailer? Yeah....that's Galadriels kingdom.

I understand changing things to be more "humanized" and so, but the change is so drastic it's not anything close to resembling the existing characters.

It's not just Galadriel's relationship with Gil-Galad that has issues, it's Elrond's too. Elrond was Commander in Chief of all Elven armies in the second age. The term "Herald" was expanded by Tolkien in other texts which describes in detail Elrond's relationship with Gil-Galad. Whilst Gil-Galad was technically "High King", most matters of diplomacy, war, administration was left to Elrond. He was basically running Lindon at this point. In Tolkien's own words, "When words were spoken from the mouth of Elrond, the kingdoms of Elves treated the words as if uttered by Gil-Galad himself," such was their relationship. "Sorry mate, Elf Lords Only" in season one was such a piss take to that relationship.

If they want to go through this approach, don't use the existing characters and just make the characters up because they are so different to what they actually are.

Another spoilery clip, from the same scene as before

If I speak...

Another spoilery clip, from the same scene as before

If I speak...

For fecks sake

Gil-Galad threatening Elrond and using his position as high king on...Elrond.

God dammit did the screenwriters read nothing of Tolkien? The way season 1 handled Peredhel was insane, Elrond was not looked down upon because he was of the "half-elven", the Firstborn saw the Half elves as "The manifestation of destiny," they were revered, practically worshipped. The fact that after Beleriand sunk, the Valar decreed that it would be Elros to lead the world of men, says enough about how the higher powers viewed the Peredhel.

Forget the fact that this breaks their incredibly close personal relationship, forget that this completely ignores the fact that Gil-galad was seen as a an incredibly benevolent, kind figure and this completely breaks his characters.

Gil-galad ordering soldiers to threaten Elrond, whose entire lives all were dependent on the efforts of Earendil is a ridiculous plotline. But that's not the worst:

In the books, how did Elrond become the bearer of Vilya? Because Gil-Galad gave it to him, because he considered Elrond wiser than himself and that if anyone were to have a ring of power, it should be Elrond and not himself.

fecking awful plot writing.

For fecks sake

Gil-Galad threatening Elrond and using his position as high king on...Elrond.

God dammit did the screenwriters read nothing of Tolkien? The way season 1 handled Peredhel was insane, Elrond was not looked down upon because he was of the "half-elven", the Firstborn saw the Half elves as "The manifestation of destiny," they were revered, practically worshipped. The fact that after Beleriand sunk, the Valar decreed that it would be Elros to lead the world of men, says enough about how the higher powers viewed the Peredhel.

Forget the fact that this breaks their incredibly close personal relationship, forget that this completely ignores the fact that Gil-galad was seen as a an incredibly benevolent, kind figure and this completely breaks his characters.

Gil-galad ordering soldiers to threaten Elrond, whose entire lives all were dependent on the efforts of Earendil is a ridiculous plotline. But that's not the worst:

In the books, how did Elrond become the bearer of Vilya? Because Gil-Galad gave it to him, because he considered Elrond wiser than himself and that if anyone were to have a ring of power, it should be Elrond and not himself.

fecking awful plot writing.
I like how you're focusing on all this, and I just can't get past that

he jumped off a fecking waterfall :lol:

I like how you're focusing on all this, and I just can't get past that

he jumped off a fecking waterfall :lol:

I understand why they did that

It’s an Easter egg of sorts, because elronds mother was asked to hand over her Silmaril by the sons of feanor and instead of doing so, she jumped off a high cliff into the sea and opted for suicide instead of handing it over.

I understand why they did that

It’s an Easter egg of sorts, because elronds mother was asked to hand over her Silmaril by the sons of feanor and instead of doing so, she jumped off a high cliff into the sea and opted for suicide instead of handing it over.
The Silmarillion just says she "cast herself" into the sea, and they lived by a river delta that was used as a harbour, so I never took that to mean jumping off a cliff of several hundred feet.

The Silmarillion just says she "cast herself" into the sea, and they lived by a river delta that was used as a harbour, so I never took that to mean jumping off a cliff of several hundred feet.

Well, from my own intepretation, the fall had to have been quite long, given that she was transformed into a white gull before she managed to land.

Even so, it's not a 100% event for event easter egg, but I think that was the angle they were going for.

I can't remember anything that happened in Season 1, so I might have to re-watch this. Also, this thread is fecking nerd central.

I'm complimenting your lore knowledge.

Oh, thanks I guess :lol:

Fell in love with Tolkien when I was about 14 when Fellowship first came out and I saw Liv Tyler's Arwen and that woman has been the basis of my "type" for the rest of my life.

Spent the next 10 years spending any chance I could on reading any work, article, journal, letter, book by Tolkien and his son.

Reviews seem to be an improvement on S1. I'd be satisfied with that. Weird that they gave some reviewers the full season and others just an early pass to the first three episodes.

Reviews seem to be an improvement on S1. I'd be satisfied with that. Weird that they gave some reviewers the full season and others just an early pass to the first three episodes.
They seem to be about the same or a little lower on MC and RT. Which to be fair could be considered an improvement, given they would've seen the rest of the season after the initial reviews last time.

I'm hopeful it'll turn around a little now they're on firmer footing plot-wise, though that Elrond clip is still rattling around my memory. Seems to be more Celebrimbor and less Galadriel, which is a positive for me at least.

They seem to be about the same or a little lower on MC and RT. Which to be fair could be considered an improvement, given they would've seen the rest of the season after the initial reviews last time.

I'm hopeful it'll turn around a little now they're on firmer footing plot-wise, though that Elrond clip is still rattling around my memory. Seems to be more Celebrimbor and less Galadriel, which is a positive for me at least.

I'm reading through the Reddit thread and they generally seem more positive. I also tend to trust Ben Travers judgement on shows and he's pretty positive about it.

‘The Rings of Power’ Season 2 Review: Amazon’s ‘Lord of the Rings’ Series Comes Into Its Own

“…still stumbles from time to time over its fated plot points, but the second season finds a stronger foothold in character and sprints into a battle for the ages.”

-Ben Travers, Indie Wire

https://www.indiewire.com/criticism...2-review-lord-of-the-rings-series-1235040196/

That works for me, anyone expecting the show to immediately fix all issues are living in *giggles* a fantasy world. Most shows tend to take a while to really get going and fix problems/characters so i'd be satisfied with it being better than S1 with still some annoyances (we all like a good moan). I can also imagine Tom Bombadil is going to annoy a few people, can't wait for the salty tears personally. :lol:

Oh, thanks I guess :lol:

Fell in love with Tolkien when I was about 14 when Fellowship first came out and I saw Liv Tyler's Arwen and that woman has been the basis of my "type" for the rest of my life.

Spent the next 10 years spending any chance I could on reading any work, article, journal, letter, book by Tolkien and his son.
Needs some kind of Steven Tyler tagline this.

I'm reading through the Reddit thread and they generally seem more positive. I also tend to trust Ben Travers judgement on shows and he's pretty positive about it.

That works for me, anyone expecting the show to immediately fix all issues are living in *giggles* a fantasy world. Most shows tend to take a while to really get going and fix problems/characters so i'd be satisfied with it being better than S1 with still some annoyances (we all like a good moan). I can also imagine Tom Bombadil is going to annoy a few people, can't wait for the salty tears personally. :lol:
He seems to have gone from a B to a B+, so was happy enough with it already. Which is fine, but I guess I was hoping for a more dramatic shift now the scene setting is supposed to be out of the way and Annatar is there... Annataring. We'll see over the next couple of days (not sure I can make all three hours at once tomorrow :lol:) My appreciation of Tom will directly correlate with how many dumb songs he has (more = better).

Don't really care about other people s opinions on this right now. I'm pumped. Probably in part bc it seems to be the last hope left for a decent fantasy show ATM.

This isn't wrong - Galadriel did go through her learning/maturing/"teenage" years - about 5000-2000 years before Rings of Power.

She studied under the Valar in Aman, saw the light of the two trees. She was incredibly proud and arrogant and stubborn and it did rub people off the wrong way. But she then exiled herself to middle earth and studied under Melian the Maia and that's when she matured, about 2500 years before the current timeline. By the time of Rings of Power, she was already the ruler of a nation. She basically decided to carve a kingdom out of Lindon (Gil-Galad's kingdom) and rule it and Gil-Galad didn't even blink and let her do what she wanted. Then she ruled Eriador before founding and ruling Eregion. You know that kingdom that Celembrimbor rules and the one that is under siege in the trailer? Yeah....that's Galadriels kingdom.

I understand changing things to be more "humanized" and so, but the change is so drastic it's not anything close to resembling the existing characters.

It's not just Galadriel's relationship with Gil-Galad that has issues, it's Elrond's too. Elrond was Commander in Chief of all Elven armies in the second age. The term "Herald" was expanded by Tolkien in other texts which describes in detail Elrond's relationship with Gil-Galad. Whilst Gil-Galad was technically "High King", most matters of diplomacy, war, administration was left to Elrond. He was basically running Lindon at this point. In Tolkien's own words, "When words were spoken from the mouth of Elrond, the kingdoms of Elves treated the words as if uttered by Gil-Galad himself," such was their relationship. "Sorry mate, Elf Lords Only" in season one was such a piss take to that relationship.

If they want to go through this approach, don't use the existing characters and just make the characters up because they are so different to what they actually are.

How you ever laid with a woman with whom you have revealed the depth of your knowledge of Tolkiens work?

How you ever laid with a woman with whom you have revealed the depth of your knowledge of Tolkiens work?

Regrettably, no. I tried to get the mrs into it and even gave her my copies of the Silmarillion and children of Hurin many years ago.

Her reaction was pretty much, “how can anyone read this and how do you find this enjoyable? It’s like reading the bible”

She did enjoy eragon and the inheritance series, so I guess I have to take the wins where I can.

Regrettably, no. I tried to get the mrs into it and even gave her my copies of the Silmarillion and children of Hurin many years ago.

Her reaction was pretty much, “how can anyone read this and how do you find this enjoyable? It’s like reading the bible”

She did enjoy eragon and the inheritance series, so I guess I have to take the wins where I can.
Should have eased her in gently with all 12 volumes of The History of Middle-earth.