Television The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Cirdan finally turning up

rpaz-s2-ut-221028-rotben-00137-r3-1720654798479.jpg
That the actor from the exorcist and foundation? Enjoyed him in the former but not so much in the latter.

That the actor from the exorcist and foundation? Enjoyed him in the former but not so much in the latter.
Yeah, Ben Daniels, generally a solid TV actor I think. Will probably be better than Gil-galad, at any rate.

Cirdan finally turning up

rpaz-s2-ut-221028-rotben-00137-r3-1720654798479.jpg

He's one of the most popular and most interesting elves in the lore. If they butcher him, I can see every single youtube creator turning against the show.

They seem to be doing a lot of the things I hoped they wouldn't. Entwives being in is cool though.

They've messed up the plot so badly it doesn't even make sense chronologically.

1. Halbrand shows up, helps create the 3 rings
  2. It is revealed he is Sauron
  3. Guy identical to him shows up claiming to be Annatar, and helps create more rings
  4. For some reason he asks Celembribor to give him the 9 rings (when at that point they had no difference that were given to the dwarves)
Nevermind that in the books it happend in 300 years

3. Guy identical to him shows up claiming to be Annatar, and helps create more rings
  4. For some reason he asks Celembribor to give him the 9 rings (when at that point they had no difference that were given to the dwarves)
Tom Bombadil accent is a vibe.

This bit is absolutely fine to change, same as the 17 years stuff in the films, but yeah having it so they know literally Sauron helped create them is particularly dumb. Using Bombadil to convince not-Gandalf to fight Sauron is also silly.

Yeah, but Sauron who made the 1st rings took the appearance of a poor man's Aragorn in Halbrand. His new look to deceive the elves is Halbrand wearing a blonde wig.

I still can't get over the fact that Elrond looks like a young Beau van Erven Dorens.

Or the way the elves pronounce the R in Sauron.

I pray to heaven that that isn’t Elrond stroking galadriels cheek lovingly.

He was married to her daughter ffs

It also really fecking irritates me that they gave Sauron the name Halbrand, a slight change to halbarad who was aragorns most trusted captain and his right hand man, who was one of the greatest men of the 3rd age.

I hate that im almost certainly going to watch this at some point. I'll wait till the full season is out and let others be guinea pigs.

My god that trailer looks like they're going to butcher everything even more than season 1.

We all know what will happen review wise. The show can't be as bad this time around and any small improvement will be magnified beyond belief.

People who are easily fooled will say oh it's so much better it's really good now when reality will be it's slightly better but still well below average

I'll wait till the shows actually out before being overly critical. They've fecked up the Sauron storyline so i'll have to just accept thats going to be a bit fecked, but i'll keep an open mind to the rest. Trailer looks decent personally.

I'm assuming Sauran as Annatar is mind-controlling Celebrimbor.

Ah yes, Celebrimbor, the ancient elven master smith who didn't know what an alloy was.

Ah yes, Celebrimbor, the ancient elven master smith who didn't know what an alloy was.
Even funnier is that he is the grandson of the greatest smith to ever live.

Feanor literally crafted jewels that captured the light of creation itself, yet his grandson didn’t know how to combine metals

It also really fecking irritates me that they gave Sauron the name Halbrand, a slight change to halbarad who was aragorns most trusted captain and his right hand man, who was one of the greatest men of the 3rd age.
I was gutted that they left out the dunedain and the sons of Elrond. And glorfindel. And prince imrahil of dol amroth. Feck Peter Jackson.

We all know what will happen review wise. The show can't be as bad this time around and any small improvement will be magnified beyond belief.

People who are easily fooled will say oh it's so much better it's really good now when reality will be it's slightly better but still well below average
:lol:

But good to see you're keeping an open mind.

A lot of the criticism of it - having not yet even been released, and on the basis of a trailer and rumours - is very nerdy even for LOTR fans. The show doesn't have a chance anyway.

It's just Caf nerds, the trailer has been received pretty well. Even the YouTube comments are fairly positive.

I'll just wipe S1 from my memory and pretend that S2 is the start of the show. :lol:

Some really good TV shows have crappy opening seasons after all. It's whether the show runners learned from their mistakes and stepped it up, we won't know that from a 3 minute teaser.

Won't stop the moaning mind.

A lot of the criticism of it - having not yet even been released, and on the basis of a trailer and rumours - is very nerdy even for LOTR fans. The show doesn't have a chance anyway.
Don't really need rumors, they literally showed in the trailer that they are now following the canon story of how rings were created, which makes the elves the dumbest idiots on the middle earth, not only did sauron con you once, he returned again to con you a second time and given they have no rights to the actual lotr story he was successful doing it.

Don't really need rumors, they literally showed in the trailer that they are now following the canon story of how rings were created, which makes the elves the dumbest idiots on the middle earth, not only did sauron con you once, he returned again to con you a second time and given they have no rights to the actual lotr story he was successful doing it.
Who fecking cares. Elves aren’t real.

I don't give a feck about lore, but that aside, season 1 was surely cack regardless?

The trailer for season 2 looks cool though.

I don't give a feck about lore, but that aside, season 1 was surely cack regardless?

The trailer for season 2 looks cool though.
I recall it had its moments, looked spectacular and had some good battles but the overall plot was a bit shit (as someone who doesn’t know that lore either) and it didn’t really feel like it knew what it wanted to be? The acting was pretty hammy at times too, and there were very few memorable characters.

I recall it had its moments, looked spectacular and had some good battles but the overall plot was a bit shit (as someone who doesn’t know that lore either) and it didn’t really feel like it knew what it wanted to be? The acting was pretty hammy at times too, and there were very few memorable characters.
Yeah, it was passable enough. They overdid it a bit on the elven dialogue all trying to sound like ancient Greek philosophers.

Definitely watching seasom 2 anyway.

I was gutted that they left out the dunedain and the sons of Elrond. And glorfindel. And prince imrahil of dol amroth. Feck Peter Jackson.

That one I understand, extended edition was already 12+ hours. Imagine trying to explain the sons of Elrond, the grey company, the swan knights, Dol Amroth, etc etc

Would be an extra half an hour at the very least.

It's just Caf nerds, the trailer has been received pretty well. Even the YouTube comments are fairly positive.

I'll just wipe S1 from my memory and pretend that S2 is the start of the show. :lol:

Some really good TV shows have crappy opening seasons after all. It's whether the show runners learned from their mistakes and stepped it up, we won't know that from a 3 minute teaser.

I dunno, they're still throwing in the random movie lines and jangling keys with the balrog.

I'm moaning because it clearly isn't "Lord of the Rings" and these stupid character ret-conning won't change that.

They've butchered every single one of the characters who they've introduced other than maybe the dwarves.

My expectations to this show were pretty easy to handle

1) Stay true to the characters of Tolkien
2) Stay somewhat true to the plot of Tolkien
3) Cut down on the cringe.

They have failed on all three accounts.

This would have been an 6.5/10 TV series if it wasn't associated with Tolkien and the characters had their own identities.

Yet Jackson invented several scenes and changed characters to allow these scenes happening. He could have also reduced the length of battles as well. For me is was unforgivable to omit the death of Saruman in the RotK theatrical cut for example.

I love the films, but they certainly aren't 'perfection' as some LOTR nerds seem to think. Personally, I think Gondor in particular is butchered, it's clear that Jackson loved Rohan and spent far more love and attention on that culture and used Gondor as the whipping boys. They were ultimately pretty soulless, even Faramir's character was altered (I understand this change a little more) but still, it's a change from the books and wasn't Tolkiens vision.

I'm moaning because it clearly isn't "Lord of the Rings" and these stupid character ret-conning won't change that.

They've butchered every single one of the characters who they've introduced other than maybe the dwarves.

My expectations to this show were pretty easy to handle

1) Stay true to the characters of Tolkien
2) Stay somewhat true to the plot of Tolkien
3) Cut down on the cringe.

They have failed on all three accounts.

This would have been an 6.5/10 TV series if it wasn't associated with Tolkien and the characters had their own identities.
It's a trailer. You have no idea whether any of that will be true. But you've made your mind up in advance anyway.

It's a trailer. You have no idea whether any of that will be true. But you've made your mind up in advance anyway.
I wouldn't bother arguing with him. :lol:

I don’t know whether or not they retconned the characters or followed the plot?

Was the first season a figment of my imagination?

If the second season suddenly adheres to everything then I’ll stand corrected but I don’t know how they’re going to suddenly reverse all the character traits and personalities and motivations from the first season