Television The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Hmmm... After a little bit of reading up like you said he can take any form. But I'm ready for him to blast a few elves, something that didn't really happen in LOTR. So, is Morgoth of a by gone era? Or will make his presence felt in the series. (I'm utterly clueless....)

Yes. The series is set in the second age, and what separates the first and second age is the fall of Morgoth.

That would be cool.
In any case, unless I'm much mistaken Sauron was a lieutenant of Morgoth - he's already been around for ages when that comet comes down. So I don't see how it could possibly be him.
Yeah it wouldn’t make sense unless it had a purpose to help Sauron manipulate the elves.
Are we going to see Sauron kicking arse?
Depends on how the can get round the rights issues because you have the entire war between Sauron and the elves + Numenor in this time but I’m not sure how they will do it as as @harms says they only have rights to Lotr, hobbit and appendices. They’ve said they’re telling a story ‘Tolkien never wrote’ which fits alongside the written events of the second age.

A wild Radagast appears :lol:

not sure where the text from your spoiler has gone.
Could be Saruman. He's arrival is too omnious to be Gandalf. I believe he briefly speaks the black speech, but I just don't think it makes sense for Sauron's reveal to arrive on a meteorite in the form of an istari and landing at the hobbits. Of course they may go for something completely different with Sauron atm. but Saruman could make a lot of sense since Gandalf's arrival wouldn't fit with the theme of arrival of evil.

That would be cool.

Yeah it wouldn’t make sense unless it had a purpose to help Sauron manipulate the elves.

Depends on how the can get round the rights issues because you have the entire war between Sauron and the elves + Numenor in this time but I’m not sure how they will do it as as @harms says they only have rights to Lotr, hobbit and appendices. They’ve said they’re telling a story ‘Tolkien never wrote’ which fits alongside the written events of the second age.

I'm not sure how they could get around not having the rights for the war between the elves and Sauron.

That would be cool.

But if I'm not mistaken, the appendices to LOTR is really the only place in Tolkien's (published) work where the second age gets much of a treatment?

The answer is devastatingly simple — because they don’t have the rights to anything that he has written aside from LOTR & Hobbit.

There are significant Game of Thrones past the point of the written books vibes — a well-established universe combined with a nonsensical/poorly thought-out plot.

Wait, they don't? Well that explains a few things...

But if I'm not mistaken, the appendices to LOTR is really the only place in Tolkien's (published) work where the second age gets much of a treatment?
Yeah I don’t know how it works to be honest because unfinished tales, which they don’t have rights to, has a lot about Numenor and a bit about Galadriel (and they seem to have already changed Galadriel’s character from that) so they definitely have flexibility. Appendices is lots of info but it’s more timelines, lineage, languages etc. i guess because there was never any full ‘story’ written about the second age it gives Amazon a lot of leeway, maybe they will be able to put the full war into the series because of that. Need an IP lawyer!

Just watched episode one... Obviously they're was a lot of setup and characters to introduce, but as a result it did feel like a lot, and quite slow... Also wasn't sold on much of the dialogue. You could probably watch the show on mute and know exactly what was going on though, so that's probably too the shows credit - it does look fantastic.

The story of war in the prologue seemed more interesting then anything going on here though! When's the show about that starting!?

Just watched episode one... Obviously they're was a lot of setup and characters to introduce, but as a result it did feel like a lot, and quite slow... Also wasn't sold on much of the dialogue. You could probably watch the show on mute and know exactly what was going on though, so that's probably too the shows credit - it does look fantastic.

The story of war in the prologue seemed more interesting then anything going on here though! When's the show about that starting!?

When someone gets the TV rights for the silmarillion which Tolkiens son said he'd never sell.

The answer is devastatingly simple — because they don’t have the rights to anything that he has written aside from LOTR & Hobbit.
They should have acquired rights for at least the Unfinished tales of Middle-Earth and Numenor (if Tolkien Estate doesn’t sell the rights for Silmarillion). There is simply not enough detailed data in LOTR appendices to make it work

The dialogue and characterization are easily the weakest parts so far, production values are carrying a lot , once the initial impression of how pretty it is wears off it might struggle to retain good will.

Because of the writing I can't be too harsh on the acting but there is no-one even close to presence of the core of the movies, and that is particularly apparent in angry constipated action girl Galadriel, Elrond and worst of all Gil-Galad who is really awful. The Elves are far too Human.

The dialogue and characterization are easily the weakest parts so far, production values are carrying a lot , once the initial impression of how pretty it is wears off it might struggle to retain good will.

Because of the writing I can't be too harsh on the acting but there is no-one even close to presence of the core of the movies, and that is particularly apparent in angry constipated action girl Galadriel, Elrond and worst of all Gil-Galad who is really awful. The Elves are far too Human.
I think Galadriel and Elrond are fine but agree re Gil-Galad. Real shame given how key a character he is.

I though the actor for Finrod (Galadriel’s brother) would have been perfect for that kind of role. The elves should always be striking/unique facially. Lee Pace as Thranduil was one of the few things the Hobbit got right.

Could be Saruman. He's arrival is too omnious to be Gandalf. I believe he briefly speaks the black speech, but I just don't think it makes sense for Sauron's reveal to arrive on a meteorite in the form of an istari and landing at the hobbits. Of course they may go for something completely different with Sauron atm. but Saruman could make a lot of sense since Gandalf's arrival wouldn't fit with the theme of arrival of evil.
Saruman would be the first to arrive of the 5 so that part fits too with that theory

Saruman was supposed to be the wisest and the best of them all though, and essentially get corrupted because of Sauron, pushed further by the Palantir, and isn't inherently evil? Might be wrong.

They should have acquired rights for at least the Unfinished tales of Middle-Earth and Numenor (if Tolkien Estate doesn’t sell the rights for Silmarillion). There is simply not enough detailed data in LOTR appendices to make it work
I’m pretty sure that if it was possible, they would’ve done it. I doubt that money is the issue, considering the show budget.

Watched this last night and loved it. I'm not going to get too technical and disect it. I'll just enjoy it for what it is. The visuals are epic and I'm excited to see what happens next.

I think Galadriel and Elrond are fine but agree re Gil-Galad. Real shame given how key a character he is.
Galadriel is several generations (elven generations) older than Elrond and even older than Gil-Galad - it doesn’t look that way in the series

When someone gets the TV rights for the silmarillion which Tolkiens son said he'd never sell.

Tolkien didn't even want to sell LOTR rights, he just did it to settle his tax bills. Which is why nothing else if his will be sold.

Saruman would be the first to arrive of the 5 so that part fits too with that theory
i changed my mind to Gandalf. I think the whole eye of sauron landing is a red herring.

Tolkien estate will never sell any of the rights, but they are involved in this and afaik "approved" Tolkien scholars that worked on this and the story to make sure it fits in with the world..

Also why is this woke? Maybe the word has lost all meaning to me now because everyone uses it for something they don't like? What because it's hot a few black characters? A female lead?... Don't see how it's woke in any sense..

Galadriel is several generations (elven generations) older than Elrond and even older than Gil-Galad - it doesn’t look that way in the series
I feel that’s too critical to be honest. Also she’s renowned as beautiful/fair so a fine casting for me.

I feel that’s too critical to be honest. Also she’s renowned as beautiful/fair so a fine casting for me.
It’s not about appearance - it’s about their relationship. They are like pals with Elrond - which wasn’t to be, for Galadriel being much elder, more renowned and more respected at those times. She was a niece of Feanor, not just some elven woman.

Many a century are to pass yet till Elrond actually reaching more or less her level.

Last edited:
I thought it was obvious who meteor man is. Kind of surprised theres debate about it. Maybe i misheard but his mumblings kind of sounded like the characters name.

Also why is this woke? Maybe the word has lost all meaning to me now because everyone uses it for something they don't like? What because it's hot a few black characters? A female lead?... Don't see how it's woke in any sense..

I think it's basically a far right wolf whistle, so a women that can fight = Woke, anything of colour = woke yada yada Atleast that's the jist I get.

On Topic, I'm really enjoying it so far. Atleast in mine & my partners opinions it did really feel like we have been dragged back into middle earth. Sure there is the odd issue but I've definetly prefered it to HoD so far despite also enjoying the latter.

It’s not about appearance - it’s about their relationship. They are like pals with Elrond - which wasn’t to be, for Galadriel being much elder, more renowned and more respected at those times. She was a niece of Feanor, not just some elven woman.

Many a century are to pass yet till Elrond actually reaching more or less her level.
Ok gotcha. She ends up his mother in law if I remember correctly but I think the closeness is ok. Maybe they could make it more obvious she is higher ranking but then her new storyline seems to ignore her status as she’s really should be top of the pile.

Im more worried about Gil-Galad’s casting than anything
this is a guy who can go toe to toe with Sauron and wound him, literally fighting a demi god and he looks like manager of your local pub

You're talking about the Tolkien Estate here. Don't think they'll ever sell those rights.

How long before all of Tolkien's work become public domain? Can't be that much time left?

Depends what country. UK it's 70 years after the Author's death. US it's like 95 years after initial publication. Other countries are different so I'm not sure how that translates to film rights? It also murky because unfinished tales and the the silmarillion and others were finished by his son.

I’m a huge Lord of the rings fan. If I’m honest if it wasn’t set in middle Earth I probably would have stopped watching. Too many characters i just couldn’t care less about not enough things happening not enough reasons to hold my interest.

As it is lord of the Tolkien based I will keep watching but really hope the pace picks up