The Lionesses: Qualified for Euro '25 | Vs South Africa (Tues @ 7:45pm)

Scotland play Israel tonight at Hampden Park but behind close doors. Crowd excluded on a decision taken last week by the Scottish FA following discussions with the police due to various groups preparing to protest against Israel's presence.

Despite the BCD order, a protestor managed to tie himself to the goalpost. Match kicked off about half an hour late. Really eerie stadium as always in a BCD match in a big venue. Several hundred protestors are outside - you can hear their loud hailer and the chants in the background.

Scotland lead 1-0 - Martha Thomas cross put in by Clair Emslie. All Scotland from what I've seen of it.

Scotland play Israel tonight at Hampden Park but behind close doors. Crowd excluded last week on a decision taken by the Scottish FA following discussions with the police due to various groups preparing to protest.

Despite the BCD order, a protestor managed to tie himself to the goalpost. Match kicked off about half an hour late. Really eerie stadium as always in a BCD match in a big venue. Several hundred protestors are outside - you can hear their loud hailer and the chants in the background.

Scotland lead 1-0 - Martha Thomas cross put in by Clair Emslie. All Scotland from what I've seen of it.

Protest about what ?

Ball wriggles its way across the box and Beth Mead puts tm England one up.

:lol: is France appealing that they should have conceded a penalty instead?

France equalise - corner leads to a volley from near the penalty spot.

England’s defence can be shambolic at times. It seemed like everyone was terrified of even touching a French player for that goal. MLT deserves at least a chance to show if she could improve things. But Wiegman will just stick with her faves.

England lose 2-1. Form has really been disappointing since the WC.

The other match in the group:
Ireland 0-3 Sweden
Which means France currently top the group with 9 points. Sweden and England are level on 4 points, Sweden ahead on GD. Ireland have 0.

Elsewhere
Wales 1-1 Ukraine
Scotland 4-1 Israel

Portugal are currently leading Northern Ireland 2-0. That match 62 minutes in.

First loss in Euro qualifying in 22 years and it's at home!
Although this is mostly due to the new format and group of Death

Most disappointing is that we were actually ahead and then conceed 2 set piece goals

This team is still overly reliant on players out of form in the starting eleven. Even then subs weren’t made until after 70 minutes and those subs were really not the ones I wanted to see. Kirby is not in form for Chelsea. What made anyone think she could change the game tonight?

This team is still overly reliant on players out of form in the starting eleven. Even then subs weren’t made until after 70 minutes and those subs were really not the ones I wanted to see. Kirby is not in form for Chelsea. What made anyone think she could change the game tonight?

Thought the subs actually played well and should have come sooner

Beever-Jones and Clinton are both in form at club level. Why not give them a go?

Well I'd have no issue with her making more subs but Kelly & Kirby did make a difference as we went close late on

Need a result on Tuesday now

There was an overall jaded look to England last night (there was to France as well, but at least they were still moving quickly in bursts). End of season blues? As it was I found the late introduction of subs and the number frustrating and yes Kirby and Kelly have both done great jobs as subs in the past but what about the new kids? What about not leaving jaded outfield players on when you've got 5 subs?

I can see why Wiegman wanted to start Bright and Williamson, but it's been a while since they've started together and the defence didn't really click yesterday. Meanwhile Alex Greenwood stayed on the bench and so did Maya le Tissier etc.

Going forward there were options like Grace Clinton and Aggie Beever Jones available. ABJ has scored 11 in WSL this season despite not always being an automatic starter - 62 minutes/goal - that's the best in WSL and a long way better than Russo - worth a shout maybe?

Overall - did France deserve the win? England started well but were already flagging when France got the equaliser. Honours even in the first half seemed right, maybe a slight edge to England. Second half I think France came out with a deserved win.

Fortunately there's a chance to regroup and make up for this next week. Hopefully we'll take it. I don't think England players need more matches.

Terrible qualifying campaign so far, big chance to make amends tonight in France

I thought Scotland were doing well and then I read about the rules in women's Euro qualifying. :lol:

I'm not a favour of her shoehorning her favourites back in, Bright in particular is a mistake imo.

On another note, been ill today so somehow found myself watching a couple of Toone/Russo podcasts/days in a life and a googlebox special of some of them watching lioness moments. It's impossible not to love these ladies :lol:

I thought Scotland were doing well and then I read about the rules in women's Euro qualifying. :lol:

Ye it is a convoluted process - Lionesses can lose tonight and still probably qualify if beat Sweden

And even if we lost that, still probably get another chance through 3rd place play off !

Ye it is a convoluted process - Lionesses can lose tonight and still probably qualify if beat Sweden

And even if we lost that, still probably get another chance through 3rd place play off !
Ireland will go to a qualifier as well despite the fact they're almost certainly finishing last in the group.

Adopting the nations league structure is great in terms of making sure the matches are competitive, but they had to write some pretty weird rules as a result.