The Lionesses: Qualified for Euro '25 | Vs South Africa (Tues @ 7:45pm)

Netherlands make it 4-0 and that should give them the group. Come on Belgium...

What a ridiculous finish!
The most excitement the Nation's League has ever thrown up and that's Men's or Women's

Shame for the Lionesses but Netherlands deserve it, crazy that conceeding 1 less in the last game (or in fact any other game along the way) would have been the difference

I reckon more questions need to be asked about the Belgian capitulation rather than Scotland though !

Last edited:
Who would have guessed England could only score 6 against Scotland…

This is the problematic side of goal difference count. Brings to mind WC of 1978, Argentina vs Peru 6-0, and 13 people exchanged between secret Junta police agencies to be tortured and framed.

England's historic but heartbreaking 2023 summed up on extraordinary night
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67629168

Lucy Bronze fell to her knees in celebration after scoring England's sixth goal at Hampden Park, which seemed to have sent the Lionesses to the finals of the inaugural Women's Nations League.

Minutes later the veteran right-back had fallen to the Glasgow turf with head in hands as news of the Netherlands' crucial fourth strike against Belgium filtered through.
It summed up the devastation that the Lionesses, despite thrashing their neighbours 6-0 on their own patch, had not done enough to reach the final four.

By extension, it means Team GB will not be playing at the Olympics in Paris next summer. The Nations League doubled as a qualifying competition and England - the nominated nation to qualify on behalf of Britain - needed to win Group A1 to stand a chance.

It is the first time that Team GB will not have a women's football team at an Olympics they have entered, after playing at London 2012 and in Tokyo two years ago......

Full article:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67629168

Bit of a shame the BBC couldn't go picture in picture for the last few minutes of the Netherlands match. England's Nations League campaign had some very flat performances but that was quite an ending.

it's a bit of a shame about the Olympics because I admit I like that whole BBC led bandwagon thing that builds up around British teams at tournaments.

The Lionesses get a tube line named after them! One of 6 new line names in London

Lionesses are out in Southern Spain and have a couple of friendlies this week as they did not progress in the Nation's League

Austria tonight on ITV

Some disappointment on the MUWomen side as Katie Zelem has been dropped from the squad and Nikita Parris did not get a recall despite better stats than the likes of Russo & Daly this season.
Still have Earps, Toone, Le Tissier and Turner out there.

Experimental line up with many reserves getting a run out, debut for Grace Clinton who is one of ours but on loan at Spurs

Speaking intl women s footie. Why the feck is the semi final of the nations League between Spain and the Netherlands not streaming on a channel somewhere (At least here in the US). Should be a fun game.

Speaking intl women s footie. Why the feck is the semi final of the nations League between Spain and the Netherlands not streaming on a channel somewhere (At least here in the US). Should be a fun game.

The match is broadcasted on Spanish public television. RTVE.

Lionesses are out in Southern Spain and have a couple of friendlies this week as they did not progress in the Nation's League

Austria tonight on ITV

Some disappointment on the MUWomen side as Katie Zelem has been dropped from the squad and Nikita Parris did not get a recall despite better stats than the likes of Russo & Daly this season.
Still have Earps, Toone, Le Tissier and Turner out there.

and Clinton is a United player.

Seems a bit Covid-y watching an international match with virtually no fans, especially when England have been playing in front of huge home crowds recently. This feels more like a training session. I get why they wanted to go somewhere warm for a training camp, although the weather isn’t looking too great tonight.

It's on the national broadcaster in Spain (RTVE1) and a couple of channels have it in the Netherlands. Beyond that I don't know.

Seems a bit Covid-y watching an international match with virtually no fans, especially when England have been playing in front of huge home crowds recently. This feels more like a training session. I get why they wanted to go somewhere warm for a training camp, although the weather isn’t looking too great tonight.
I think it really is just a training camp for Wiegman and the squad. No Nations Cup this week makes it all a bit of an anticlimax. It's that dilemma for the broadcasters - neutral ground friendly and nothing to play for. The kind of match that's interesting from the selection and formation perspective but not much more.

In terms of the live crowd. Spain are at home to Netherlands in the Nations Cup and live on the main Spanish broadcaster. Neutral fans even less lively to be tempted out even if they do live locally.

Ye it's absolutely pissing down, feel sorry for the small amount of fans who have shown up - at least they got a few goals

Weigman has explained in the past she doesn’t see Le Tissier as a central defender but as a right back.

Ye I remember she said that after leaving her out of the World Cup squad - not sure I see enough attacking instinct from her but good experience for sure

Too easy but a nice run out for a few of the fringe players

Meanwhile looks like it will be a Spain v France final in the Nation's League

It's hard to visualise England hanging on at OT to win the opening match of the Euros 1-0 back in 2022 when you see last night's scoreline. Austria may have been a bit too friendly :smirk:

Too easy but a nice run out for a few of the fringe players

Meanwhile looks like it will be a Spain v France final in the Nation's League
Wednesday matches:
Spain v France in the final
Germany v Netherlands in third place playoff

France qualify for the Olympics as hosts. Spain qualify as a finalist. Which leaves the final Olympics spot to the winner of the third place playoff.

England have a friendly against Italy on Tuesday at 5pm. Ireland had a goalless draw against Italy yesterday.

Wednesday matches:
Spain v France in the final
Germany v Netherlands in third place playoff

France qualify for the Olympics as hosts. Spain qualify as a finalist. Which leaves the final Olympics spot to the winner of the third place playoff.

England have a friendly against Italy on Tuesday at 5pm. Ireland had a goalless draw against Italy yesterday.

5pm tonight on ITV4 - should be a more difficult test than Austria, might get to see some other squad players get a run out

I don't think the Nation's League Final is being televised anywhere in UK - you'd think it would at least be available online somewhere official

5pm tonight on ITV4 - should be a more difficult test than Austria, might get to see some other squad players get a run out

I don't think the Nation's League Final is being televised anywhere in UK - you'd think it would at least be available online somewhere official
Yes, disappointing that UEFA aren't supplying a stream for it. I know FIFA have encouraged them to take a "if you give it away for free, no one will pay for it," with TV but visibility should still be a priority for them. If a UEFA feed or similar does pop up or might not be until matchday, I'll post it if I see one.

Interesting quotes from Aitani Bonmati on a similar theme:

Meanwhile for this evening's match I think there's a good chance the England starting lineup will look completely different to last week's. We shall see.

Another training match and another training match atmosphere. ITV pundits sounding irritated during the pre-match. I reckon they were a bit embarrassed to have aired that Friday night prime time training match :smirk:

At least this one is tucked out of the way at 5pm on ITV4.

England leading 1-0 after ten minutes.