The Lionesses: Qualified for Euro '25 | Vs South Africa (Tues @ 7:45pm)

Lively start from England. Finding space at the moment, so this could be an entertaining match.

Sweden need the win for automatic qualification. Anything else and the automatic qualification spot goes to England. France have already qualified.

Ireland and whoever finishes third in the group go through to playoffs for another bite at qualifying.

0-0 at HT. England have the possession and the position but not getting many chances created - no shots on target.

Ireland v France is also goalless at HT.

England’s defence can be a shambles sometimes. Wiegman needs to realise some of her faves can’t do it any more.

Individually the defence look ok, but collectively they don't fit together well enough. We look better when Greenwood plays.

Forwards spending so much time looking for openings that they've forgotten what they're supposed to do when they see one. Uninspired.

Why isn’t Clinton getting a chance?
The team need an Ellen White. I can’t see where the goals are coming from.

Disappointing overall performance, which kind of fits with how England have looked since the WWC really. It's obvious that things need to improveg. That said England have done just enough to qualify automatically from a tough group and they'll be relieved by that as the playoffs aren't going to be much fun.

Meanwhile Ireland beat France 3-1 and that's a wonderful result for them. Ireland go to the playoffs, but they'll get there with their heads held high and maybe with a better seeding after that result.

Scotland, Wales, NI all won and they'll all be in the playoffs too. Scotland and Wales topped their (tier B) groups and get promoted to the top Nations League groups in the process.

Draw for the playoffs is on Friday. The first playoff matches are at the end of October and the second round of playoffs at the end of November.

Why isn’t Clinton getting a chance?
The team need an Ellen White. I can’t see where the goals are coming from.
We certainly need to find something. We had all the ball but we really weren't making chances.

Lauren James is injured, but she will add something when she comes back.

Grace Clinton is still trying to prove herself to Wiegman. So is Aggie Beever Jones. Maybe we'll see more of them in the autumn matches, now the immediate competition pressure is off.

Where does that Ireland result come from?!
Did France play a reserve team ?

Lionesses could have topped the group but I have no idea of that would make any difference to seedings etc

Where does that Ireland result come from?!
Did France play a reserve team ?

Lionesses could have topped the group but I have no idea of that would make any difference to seedings etc

Puts them in Pot 2 rather than Pot 1.

What we think it means for next summer's Euros. England will be in Pot 2.

Ireland's win against France could also be significant. 7 teams will qualify from the playoffs and the points they picked up last night mean they're effectively the seventh seeds in those playoffs. The draw for the first round of playoffs will look something like this:

GSobTS3XQAAR4_v

Winners of round one (two legged ties) will go into a seeded draw for round two. So Ireland's seventh seed position will mean they will face a League B or C team (or Poland who are eighth seeds).

Ireland's win against France could also be significant. 7 teams will qualify from the playoffs and the points they picked up last night mean they're effectively the seventh seeds in those playoffs. The draw for the first round of playoffs will look something like this:

GSobTS3XQAAR4_v

Winners of round one (two legged ties) will go into a seeded draw for round two. So Ireland's seventh seed position will mean they will face a League B or C team (or Poland who are eighth seeds).

The way the draws have gone for England lately they are likely to be put in the same group as Spain and the Netherlands looking at this.

I thought England would feck up in the last game but I'm glad they're through

GSobTS3XQAAR4_v

So we now have the playoffs draw:

If Ireland and Wales win their first round playoff ties (end October) they'll play each other in early December to decide who goes to the Euros.

If NI get past Croatia they will probably meet Norway in their decider. If Scotland beat Hungary they will probably play Finland in theirs.

Back in action with a couple of friendlies Vs Germany & South Africa - it is now all about prep for next summer's Euros in Switzerland

Last edited:
England have already qualified for next summer's euros but Scotland, Wales, N.Ireland and Ireland are all taking part in qualification matches . First round round first leg of those qualifiers are underway at the moment.
Hungary 0-0 Scotland at HT, Scotland the better team but no goals.
Slovakia 2-1 Wales now in added time
Croatia 1-0 N. Ireland after about 20 minutes
Georgia 0-2 RoI after about an hour

England friendly v Germany

Toone starts. Clinton and le Tissier on the bench.

Looks like Hannah Hampton is now officially No1

Very established line up apart from that

Sloppy pass from Williamson leaves Germany with a direct run on goal. Millie Bright gives away the penalty and Germany go a goal up from the spot.

Tonight's starting lineup very much about Wiegman being loyal to her regulars - including some of who haven't started the season well and others who've had injuries.

2-0 to Germany. Germany attacked fast down England's left and defence went missing. Carter and Williamson just not gelling at the moment.

A couple of sparks of hope at the other end. Toone offside for a through ball but the play by Toone and Russo in the box was lovely. Russo has also hit the post.

Germany 3 up. This time Germany race through on the left. Both defences look fragile tonight but It's the German forwards who are getting the goals.

In other news, German manager, Christian Wuck, looks disconcertingly like he might be Mourinho's little brother.

What happened to Earps? Did leaving us actually derail her career?
Not derailed perhaps but certainly stalled it. PSG went out during the WCL qualifiers and she was part of the reason. She was benched for a couple of games but she's back and playing again now.

Penalty for England - handball given correctly on the VAR and it's 3-1 to Germany now.

Stanway scores after a fast attack. I'm not sure what's happened to the defences of these two teams but I can't say I dislike it, especially in a friendly :lol:

England 2-3 Germany

Oh my that is some miss, that much time and space she just couldn't get herself moving towards the goal.

The referee taking evasive action from a cross that didn't go within 20 yards of her is very weird.

What a ridiculous half ! At least great entertainment for those who paid for a friendly

And what a shocking miss from Toone - one of those where you have so much time you overthink it

My niece has gone with a few of her mates, as her mates dad got a bunch of free tickets with the ones he purchased. At least they have seen a few goals.

Jess Park comes on for Ella Toone.

Not sure when we'll see Greenwood and Clinton - who really are in good form.

Maybe Wiegman has decided she needs to show faith in her back four etc to give them their nerve back. Dunno' really.

Jess Park comes on for Ella Toone.

Not sure when we'll see Greenwood and Clinton - who really are in good form.

Maybe Wiegman has decided she needs to show faith in her back four etc to give them their nerve back. Dunno' really.
I think she's being a bit too loyal to the old guard here

High time to integrate the likes of Park, Clinton and Le Tissier

Sorry, but this is incredibly shit. Its really hard to enjoy a game like this.

I think she's being a bit too loyal to the old guard here

High time to integrate the likes of Park, Clinton and Le Tissier

I don't know really. You'd think these friendlies would be a good moment to try them out properly. Equally I get that she thinks the core of the team will be the Euro winners.

It's just frustrating to watch players who are out of form for their clubs including some like Williamson who've been struggling with injuries not getting switched out early when things aren't going well.

Sorry, but this is incredibly shit. Its really hard to enjoy a game like this.
It's baffling to be honest. I've not seen either of these teams defend like this. The midfields aren't much better.

Another goal disallowed for offside.

I mean there are friendlies and there are friendlies but the players don't even look like they're enjoying it :lol: