The left-back market…

I’d rather go abroad and get in a younger, cheaper player and develop him rather than pay £50m for a premier league player.

That French guy looks like he could be signed cheaply, however still feels like we are only looking at loans or free agent options for this position

I've amazed we are allowing Kadioglu to go to bright. He'd be amazing for us. And Brighton are pipping us to him?

Could we get Reguilon on loan again for at least first half of the season. Add a bit of depth in case of injuries or Malacia not being able to make it back.

Could we get Reguilon on loan again for at least first half of the season. Add a bit of depth in case of injuries or Malacia not being able to make it back.

Would take him or Hermoso, although apparently the latter is asking for too higher wages

Wonder if we try for a LB with the loan+obligation deal for Ugarte, certainly frees the funds up.

Wonder if we try for a LB with the loan+obligation deal for Ugarte, certainly frees the funds up.

Need to sell Sancho and Pellistri to fund it, think it's too late to hijack Kadioglu so think at best maybe sign that French one linked the other day. Maybe deadline day swoop for Ait-Nouri or Kerkez but won't be cheap.

For our system, I think we're looking for a complete, technically proficient LB. He's not just expected to very solid defensively (CB-esque), but also help in attack and also occasionally drop between the CBs during the 1st phase build up and be a key passer. Shaw, Martinez and even Dalot have been doing so when played at LB. I believe it's meant to make up for our DMs limited ball playing abilities.

Surely this kind of player won't come cheap. I think Branthwaite was earmarked to play this and the CB role for us. No idea if Hermoso is good enough, or if there are any other alternatives. Too bad van den Ven is with Spurs. I can see us sticking with Licha as the LB option this season if no viable targets are available.

So yes I think the club showed foresight in wanting Branthwaite early in the window and are still looking to sign him at some point.

They’ll sell him for triple what they pay for him in a couple seasons time.
I don't think anyone is ever gonna see him as a €120m player. I mean there's always Chelsea, but aside from that.

We're making a mistake not signing a LB imo. Only reason behind that I can see is that we'll go after a big name LB in 2025.

The Athletic said this morning that Utd have shelved any plans for a left back in this window

I think that we will have to work out what we are doing with Shaw before we spend on a quality LB. Shaw is a hard player to beat when hes fit on the left and a top LB will cost a decent chunk of money to potentially sit on the bench.

Think it's a mistake. Shaw and Mazroui are both injury prone. We are so fecked if Dalot is out for a prolonged time.

Martinez at left back is not it. Play your best players at their best positions.

There's a good argument to be made that a left back should have been the top priority, given we went through so much of last season without one to speak of.

But it's hard to quite call it a mistake not recruiting one, if only because there don't really seem to be any good options. The names we've been hearing (Alonso, Chilwell, etc) hardly inspire any confidence and certainly wouldn't fix the problem. I'd like to think that if a high quality player came onto the market we'd be in for them, funds permitting.

Maybe we'll get lucky and Shaw will have a few consecutive months of fitness this season? That would be nice.

There's a good argument to be made that a left back should have been the top priority, given we went through so much of last season without one to speak of.

But it's hard to quite call it a mistake not recruiting one, if only because there don't really seem to be any good options. The names we've been hearing (Alonso, Chilwell, etc) hardly inspire any confidence and certainly wouldn't fix the problem. I'd like to think that if a high quality player came onto the market we'd be in for them, funds permitting.

Maybe we'll get lucky and Shaw will have a few consecutive months of fitness this season? That would be nice.
It's a mistake because there would have been decent options if we had scouted better (I agree those names are terrible). Someone like Truffert or Locko (now he's injured..) would be available for under 20m. But I understand if we don't have any money, we should focus on getting the Ugarte deal done.

Biggest problem will be that we seem to plan with Mazraoui playing as a backup LB, but that leaves us with only Dalot at RB. Btw, he has only played 10 games as LB throughout his whole career.

The Athletic said this morning that Utd have shelved any plans for a left back in this window
Good, we’re not Chelsea, buying a bunch of randoms.

We have young Amass coming through, no reason to stifle his development when we have 2 other players who can play there when Shaw is not fit.
Barcelona throw a bunch of kids in the starting lineup because they are broke and they do alright, and there’s infinitely more pressure at Barcelona to compete for the league than there is at United.

Shaw, Dalot, Amass is more than enough for that position.

It's a mistake because there would have been decent options if we had scouted better (I agree those names are terrible). Someone like Truffert or Locko (now he's injured..) would be available for under 20m. But I understand if we don't have any money, we should focus on getting the Ugarte deal done.

Biggest problem will be that we seem to plan with Mazraoui playing as a backup LB, but that leaves us with only Dalot at RB. Btw, he has only played 10 games as LB throughout his whole career.
I mean you've got it the wrong way around there - it's sure to be Dalot covering left back. Still not ideal, but he's played there more than 10 times at least.

I've no idea who Truffert is, but Locko looked good the handful of times I've seen him. Shame about the injury. You would think that United would know all about both players and their situations, particularly given the Nice link, so I doubt we're looking at a failure of scouting here.

A new left back is not happening this window, which I can understand given the budgetary restraints, but it does potentially leave us with a lot of work to do next summer if it becomes necessary (as it increasingly looks as though it will), to move on from both Shaw and Malacia in summer 2025.

Chillwell on loan might not be bad…know he is injury prone as well, but just a loan and him and Shaw could get some rest while other is injured.

We’re in a building process and can’t fix all of our problems in one window. LB is a bit of a sticky area for us as we have one of the best Labs in the world when he’s fit, a competent back-up who had a freak season last year, and very promising youngster coming through in the position.

I personally think it’s the right call to de-prioritise LB over other positions. We have Dalot, Mazraoui and Martinez who can also play back up, and I think we should really give Malacia a chance to get back to fitness, if anything just to help us sell him next summer so we can invest properly in the position next summer. The most we should maybe do this summer is loan Moreno or Reguilon again.

Dalot is playing well, in fact both our fullbacks are

What about bringing Alex Telles back? I remember he had some good times with us, with Sevilla on loan and he had a spell in the Brazil squad too.

His Saudi contract was ended today so I don't know what's going on there.

Edit, just see the post from Twitter above. But he could be an option.

Last edited:
Apologies if discussed already, but I can't understand why isn't Harry Amass in the squad, he looked really good in the pre season games.

Apologies if discussed already, but I can't understand why isn't Harry Amass in the squad, he looked really good in the pre season games.
I may be wrong but as an u21 player he doesn't need to be registered in the squad and can be called up anytime I'm the match sheet, I believe ?

Im still going for Alphonso Davies on a free next season even if he is linked with Madrid.

Wants a high contract. Check.
Friends with Zirkzee. Check
Team mates with Mazroui & De Ligt. Check.
Perfect fullback for Rashford. Check.

He is Canadian and people from those continents will look highly at United just as south americans look at Real Madrid. Check.

Manager : Nagelsmann

Diogo Costa
Dalot - Yoro/De Ligt - Martinez - Davies
Ugarte - Mainoo
Amad/Bakyoko-Bruno-Rford/Garnacho
Hojlund/Zirkzee

Hell, after all our seasons chasing Ex Bayern Players - i honestly don't see why we wont end up with Nagelsmann as our manager.

Transfers in :
1) Bakyoko - potential deal with Antony to PSV.
2) Davies - Free contract replacing Malacia
3) Digo Costa- <50m replacing Onana + making Vitek no 2.
4)Brantwaithe - 60 mil replacing Maguire
5) Wharton - Casemiro out
6) Dream unrealistic transfer - Wirtz or Cole Palmer to replace both Eriksen&Mount aalongside future replacement of Bruno due to their links to their fanhood or the manager or the club

I dont think this is unrealistic in the next January & summer transfers combined.

Last edited: