The left-back market…

Yes, another super injury prone LB is exactly what the doctor ordered.

They have to be fit at some point. We have Mazraoui who will get loads of game time whilst the left backs are available/unavailable.

Remember the left back option is just cover.

I don’t want Alonso. I don't think Amass is quite ready for lots of games, so we could do with getting someone good in. We got linked with Doughty at Luton earlier in the summer, and I thought he looked good last season. I don't think Luton could hold out for big money now that they've gone down, and he'd be the perfect age for covering Shaw while Amass develops.

I don’t want Alonso. I don't think Amass is quite ready for lots of games, so we could do with getting someone good in. We got linked with Doughty at Luton earlier in the summer, and I thought he looked good last season. I don't think Luton could hold out for big money now that they've gone down, and he'd be the perfect age for covering Shaw while Amass develops.
Doughty is a better attacker than a defender and being a former PL player would still cost £10m+ while someone like Tagliafico is much better and could be signed for less than half of that.

People were balking at the possibility of a Cucurella loan last year (in part because of the loan fee, granted) but he really turned the tide around.

How is Chilwell ?

Should 100% get Chilwell. We can then combine Shaw and Chilwell and we will have 80% of a LB for the season. Probably. If they take turns with injuries.
Whenever I have watched Chelsea (live or broadcast) he looks such a limited player that you can understand why Southgate was so desperate for Shaw to play in the euros. If we are going to play 4-2-2-2 we could have a left back who is more of a wing back by nature. Why not go for Grimaldo or Lino then? Swap or shift out more of the deadwood to fund it.

Reguilón Loan for the season.​

madness if we don’t sign a left footed LB this month

Sorry, don’t know why this is in bold.

Last edited by a moderator:
In danger of sounding like a broken record here but I have no idea why we aren't in for Locko or Dorgu both at smaller clubs both ready IMO to step up.
Money and squad composition rightly or wrongly Shaw and Malacia would get this season .

Apparently 60% of defenders are purely right-footed. So to find a high quality LB is always going to be a challenge and so will always have a premium added on top of that.

Chilwell and Alonso links are very scary. I’d rather get nobody.

Reguilón Loan for the season.

madness if we don’t sign a left footed LB this month

Sorry, don’t know why this is in bold.

The problem with regulon is that he has got 1 year left in his contract. So spurs would probably want an obligation to buy clause at this point

Hermoso seems like the most sensible signing. Can cover LCB which we need and LB, plus a free. Just makes so much sense.

Chilwell is a good player, just would be absolutely hilarious if we needed cover for an injury prone left back, we buy an injury prone left back.

We did it last year..

Chilwell is a good player, just would be absolutely hilarious if we needed cover for an injury prone left back, we buy an injury prone left back.
Madness to buy him. A loan may be acceptable.

I think he's been average for a while now. I certainly don't see him as a starter for a club with title ambitions.

How about Digne @SilentWitness? Imagine Villa might be open to a loan there. Do you rate him from his Everton days?

Not great defensively but a top overlapping left-back. He was key to the good form that Richy/DCL had under Ancelotti so he'd probably be good for Hojlund and getting him goals with his crosses.

I don’t think so. Think he was a good prospect once upon a time and worked well as a wingback a few times for Chelsea but ever since the injuries have accumulated there’s very little about his game to be pleased with.

Marcos Alonso would be awful. Literally getting rid of a r*pist at the start of the summer and then buying a murderer at the end

Alonso is beyond pointless. Even in his prime he would have been an ill fit, and he’s much worse now than he was at his best. There’s zero need for him.

Rather than investing on someone, get a nice loan in. Shaw/Malacia should be back soon

How long are we going to do this?
It’s about time we get a proper replacement in and get rid of Shaw.

We have been getting shafted at LB for a decade now, not buying a replacement cause he’s oh so good then he doesn’t play half the season.

He’s right footed. It wouldn’t make any sense.

I feel it will be Chilwell and news will break nearer to deadline day. He’s not currently being used by Maresca.
But just as comfortable playing with his left foot + he actually plays as a LB so I don't see how that's a problem.

He'll absolutely kill it at Brighton and we'll be left wondering why we didn't go for him when he was available. Can play multiple positions and is at the perfect age so he won't stop Amass coming through.

We have been getting shafted at LB for a decade now, not buying a replacement cause he’s oh so good then he doesn’t play half the season.

Until we manage to sell them, we cant probably get replacements in

I think he's been average for a while now. I certainly don't see him as a starter for a club with title ambitions.
I wouldn't imagine we'd be loaning him or buying him to be that though, Shaw is undisputed starter when fit.
I don’t think so. Think he was a good prospect once upon a time and worked well as a wingback a few times for Chelsea but ever since the injuries have accumulated there’s very little about his game to be pleased with.
I agree the accumulation of injuries have caused issues, but I think he's a better player than a lot of people give him credit for.

It wouldn’t be possible to sell Shaw and he’s a very crucial player for us when healthy. We just need proper backup.

I wouldn't imagine we'd be loaning him or buying him to be that though, Shaw is undisputed starter when fit.

I agree the accumulation of injuries have caused issues, but I think he's a better player than a lot of people give him credit for.
The major flag there is when fit regarding Shaw. Chilwell would be fine as a stop gap loan but would be a poor permanent signing I think.

The major flag there is when fit regarding Shaw. Chilwell would be fine as a stop gap loan but would be a poor permanent signing I think.
For sure, based on what Chelsea would want and what we would spend, I imagine a loan would work for both parties. He's got to be on a pretty big wage.

We should NOT ignore these facts:

- Malacia hasn't played since forever. We don't know when he'll be back and how long he needs to get into the level required. Also, there's a chance he might get injured again. Personal opinion, but I think he'll never play again for us, a bit like Van de Beek after his injury.
- Shaw has constantly let us down. We can't rely on him as a clear starter.
- Amass is highly talented, but 17 and defensively, he has struggled during pre-season. He needs to learn a lot and slowly introduced to professional football, both tactically and physically.

Conclusion: We need to buy a new LB who can play 30+ games per season and I don't want a stop-gap. I also don't want a LCB who could play a LB. That can be Shaw's new role. And I don't want us to play Mazraoui or Dalot out of position for the majority of the games. We need an attacking LB to play our style of football.

Last edited:
We should NOT ignore these facts:

- Malacia hasn't played since forever. We don't know when he'll be back and how long he needs to get into the level required. Also, there's a chance he might get injured again. Personal opinion, but I think he'll never play again for us, a bit like Van de Beek after his injury.
- Shaw has constantly let us down. We can't rely on him as a clear starter.
- Amass is highly talented, but 17 and defensively, he has struggled during pre-season. He needs to learn a lot and slowly introduced to professional football, both tactically and physically.

Conclusion: We need to buy a new LB who can play 30+ games per season and I don't want a stop-gap. I also don't want a LCB who could play a LB. That can be Shaw's new role. And I don't want us to play Mazraoui or Dalot out of position for the majority of the games. We need an attacking LB to play our style of football.
Your conclusion doesn't make much sense based on your Amass point. If we buy a left back who can play 30+ games a season, he doesn't get introduced. Shaw in the last 6 seasons averages 22.5 90s, Mazraoui is the back up to Dalot or the LB back up, he will be expecting (and we will be) a lot of minutes in either position. That leaves very little room for Amas as it is and that is accepting Malacia doesn't play a single minute, which I'm not sure will be true.

A much better conclusion is sign a Regullion, for when Shaw is injured, Mazraoui can't play LB and a game isn't suited for Amass. Mazraoui would be a completely pointless signing if we didn't expect him to cover LB.

We need to brake the bank and sign Theo Hernandez, or we give the kid Amass a start on Friday. Shaw will be injured again before January.