The left-back market…

For me, with Amass showing enough potential in pre-season this is no longer a priority. Signing a RB that is technically sound enough to play as an inverted LB (Mazraoui) should be enough cover.

RB, DM and CB are the priorities.

Watching Lille - Fenerbahçe! We would be so smart to sign Santos, the 22 RB of Lille, and Ferdi, the 24 year LB of Fenerbahçe: two very interesting players with signifiant potential

We might have to revisit.

Shaw's a liability (stating the obvious).

Malacia will take ages to get up to speed given his absence. May even be an idea to loan him out in Jan to go and get half a season playing games back in Holland to get back used to competitive football.

Amass isn't deemed ready just yet, by the same token I can't imagine we want to block his medium-long term path.

Given finances and players already in position, can see it pointing towards Alonso/Reguilon for a year or seeing if Hermoso will maybe sign 2 year (can't see him signing for one).

West Ham have just brought in eight players and they don’t look like they’ve stopped.

If INEOS want a left back then there’s no reason not to dip into the market.

Feels like we’re here every single summer trying to sign a stop gap solution for Luke Shaw

He really holds us back in the market

We shouldnt be looking for a low cost back-up. We should be looking at a first team leftback because we obviously cant rely on Shaw

Hopefully we can target an elite LB next summer as Shaws long term replacement. If Alphonso Davies does move on a free to Madrid, I presume Mendy would potentially be available. Or maybe we target hernandez from milan, or some other elite fullback / wonderkid LB.

I like Shaw, but he's now 29 and so injury prone.

Rather than investing on someone, get a nice loan in. Shaw/Malacia should be back soon

We're going to see Dalot there alot with mazraoui right back. I get that we had huge other areas to fix and are generally working hard this window but thinking shaw could be our left back is unfortunately madness.

We haven't started the season yet and yoro, shaw and hojlund are injured

Feels like we’re here every single summer trying to sign a stop gap solution for Luke Shaw

He really holds us back in the market
It’s time to move him on really. We can’t have our ambitions hampered by whether or not Shaw can play a full season. He should head back to the South coast, he’d be brilliant for someone like Brighton.

Rather than investing on someone, get a nice loan in. Shaw/Malacia should be back soon
Shaw is out until after September and god knows how long he’ll be fit for before he’s out again. Malacia won’t be back before Christmas, and even then he’ll have missed at least 18 months of football so he won’t offer anything this season.

I expect to see loan links with Reguilon, Chilwell and Digne in the coming days as names start getting thrown around.

I’d like us if possible to go for the wolves LB, perhaps a loan with obligation to buy with a higher loan fee

We're going to see Dalot there alot with mazraoui right back. I get that we had huge other areas to fix and are generally working hard this window but thinking shaw could be our left back is unfortunately madness.

We haven't started the season yet and yoro, shaw and hojlund are injured
Other way around. Maz will play on the left

Ferdi was such an obvious target and now his price will be double with him going to Brighton.

LB market is sort of gash these days. Davies has been crap for Bayern, Theo will cost a bomb and isn’t even young any more, and there aren’t any other great younger options.

I don't know how other clubs cope without 4 left backs.
Why do people keep saying this?
Shaw - Dead and never reliable
Malacia - Dead and not good enough
Amass - too young. Not ready
Dalot/Mazraoui - Not left backs
Martinez - not a left back

Sure we can cobble together an option at lb but we will always drop levels on the left hand side for a large portion of games. Just like we dont need a DM cos we have Case, McTominay and Collyer and Martinez could play there. But its always going to cost us

But I get the point we don't need another body. Like Regulon who is sht. We need a proper first choice LB

I would think LB is the priority along with DM now.

In an ideal world we could sell some of the below to fund those deals and maybe a new RW too.

Hannibal
Mctominay
Pellistri
Sancho
Antony
Lindelof

Shaw is out until after September and god knows how long he’ll be fit for before he’s out again. Malacia won’t be back before Christmas, and even then he’ll have missed at least 18 months of football so he won’t offer anything this season.
What the fugg is wrong with him now.
So over him at this stage.
We need a new one

Do a deal with Fulham for McTominay that includes Antonee Robinson to replace Shaw. If he's not going to be fit, he can't be the starting left-back. Robinson loves to get forward and never stops running.

Should be a priority position to strengthen next summer we should be scouting all year and bringing in the best available

Bradley Locko would still be available. I reckon a clever club will get him before the deadline day.

With Girona and Stuttgart having lost key players from last season, might it be easier/cheaper to get one of their left backs rather than pay up for the Bournemouth/Fulham/Wolves left back?

Alternatively, Anthony steps up.

I will be shocked if we don't get Tagliafico.

Like literally, why would we even consider any other players. Former Ajax, has chemistry with our entire defensive backline and has played with Martinez for Argentina as well. Not that crucial for Lyon and they'd gladly let him go for a small fee, and we had already tried signing him last Summer.

We have to Hijack the Kadioglu deal. Dalot & Nous as RBs and Ferdi & Amass as LBs.

We have to Hijack the Kadioglu deal. Dalot & Nous as RBs and Ferdi & Amass as LBs.

He’s right footed. It wouldn’t make any sense.

I feel it will be Chilwell and news will break nearer to deadline day. He’s not currently being used by Maresca.

Should 100% get Chilwell. We can then combine Shaw and Chilwell and we will have 80% of a LB for the season. Probably. If they take turns with injuries.

What happened to Malacia? Why is he not an option?

16 months out, still no real news on a return date, was a pretty average option in the first place and we need a much better option as Shaw misses far too many games.