The left-back market…

Get someone on loan and go for Hato next summer
Hato has every tool to be an outstanding LB/LCB for a top club. If he was to move this early though I think he’d have to take a wide role.

So he could do a Ben White for Arsenal type role but not a Saliba.

Playing with Alonso is basically like playing with 10 men so might as well not sign him. He is non existent on defense not to mention on the older side. Our defense was top 3 worst defenses in terms of shots conceded. Getting him would only make that worst especially we don’t dominate the possession either.

Is Harry Amass not ready then? He's gone on tour and is meant to be exceptional in the youth team
Amass is technically superb and generally press resistant, but still defensively "naive" in certain sense. He could be good for cup games or come in as a sub when the game is won and controlled, but not at the stage where you could rely upon if Shaw gets injured again,

Amass is technically superb and generally press resistant, but still defensively "naive" in certain sense. He could be good for cup games or come in as a sub when the game is won and controlled, but not at the stage where you could rely upon if Shaw gets injured again,

We made AWB play left back last year. I can't think of a world where even a defensively naive Amass will be worse off than that.

Signing Mitchell or Alonso would be dumb moves, I trust Ineos to know better than that.

I'm still not really a fan of having more than 2 players per position.

Going into the season with Shaw, Malacia + a new left back fighting for one position... We'd basically be hoping to have another injury crisis to justify our decision to hoard 3 players for one position. It's unlikely we'll end up in the same situation as last year. If we really don't trust our 2 current left backs to play enough games to cover the position, we need to force them out the door and start from scratch with new players.

You’re right IMO. People wanting someone like Theo Hernandez on top of Shaw, Malacia, and even Martínez and Amass. That’s not how to build a squad. The 4 I mentioned all have at least short-to-mid term futures at the club and can play left-back to a high standard.

I think if we are adamant on getting a left-back this summer, it should be someone like Reguilón. Would almost be free basically and content with a back-up role. Was also alright for us last season. Another idea is a full-back who can play on both sides of the pitch: Mazraoui or Kadioglu could be decent options. Or getting another LCB who can play left-back if needed, like Branthwaite and Hancko. There are smart ways to solve this issue, which might not even be an issue next season, we just need to avoid an injury crisis. However, I’m 100% sure that buying am expensive traditional left-back isn’t the solution.

Is Tyrick Mitchell any good?

Malacia is better.

Last edited:
Has to be a player that covers multiple positions. Either LCB/LB, or RB/LB. Would really want us to go for Kadioglu, sell AWB, get him to cover LB/RB and even midfield in the worst case scenario.

I doubt it if Shaw is fit at the start of the season and Malacia is close to coming back and AWB is still here as Dalot can cover for LB and if Amass shines in preseason.
Lots of it's but I cannot see us spending on a LB when there are all these possibilities.

I doubt it if Shaw is fit at the start of the season and Malacia is close to coming back and AWB is still here as Dalot can cover for LB and if Amass shines in preseason.
Lots of it's but I cannot see us spending on a LB when there are all these possibilities.
That's why Ducker said we were looking at loan deals for left back

I’m sure Cucarella, loan with option to buy will appear at some point in this window.

I’m sure Cucarella, loan with option to buy will appear at some point in this window.
Not anymore, not with Chelsea's new manager and his possession football approach. Curcarella will fit right into that football style

He's had too good a season. The time to get him was last summer when he was available and on a mission to prove everyone wrong. Instead we brought in an injury prone loan LB to cover our injury prone LBs, who got injured against once our injury prone loan LB left. All because the non-injury prone potential loan LB would have missed a League Cup game.

Looks silly when you see it written down.

Reguilon would be my choice - still young, fits this team well and would not be expensive. He also seemed to love his time here.

I saw he could on websites, but they say a lot of things like that. Dalot regularly plays LB too, so even if Dalot is the back up LB we have a good RB.
He does indeed play LB. He played as LB for Morocco and they did quite well last WC. He also played some LB at Bayern when Davies was injured.

Of all the options mentioned by different outlets I would prefer Ferdi Kadıoğlu as he seems the most technical and attacking player, who reminds me of Luke Shaw the most. This is the type of player Rashford needs if he is going to be an effective winger.

He does indeed play LB. He played as LB for Morocco and they did quite well last WC. He also played some LB at Bayern when Davies was injured.
That's good then. Between him and Kadıoğlu, we're linked to some very versatile full backs that can cover both sides.

So many good left backs were available this window - Kirkez, Califiori, Maatsen, Grimaldo, Ferdi Kadıoğlu, Gutierrez, Ait-Nouri etc and we are going for Regulan and Alonso! That's surely a joke. This is the problem with Shaw. We think he's first choice and just need back up. We don't. We need a first choice LB. And to be first choice you need to be available. Shaw is not. We can't rely on him. He should either go or accept he is back up. He can still get his 25/30 games as LCB and back up LB.

So many good left backs were available this window - Kirkez, Califiori, Maatsen, Grimaldo, Ferdi Kadıoğlu, Gutierrez, Ait-Nouri etc and we are going for Regulan and Alonso! That's surely a joke. This is the problem with Shaw. We think he's first choice and just need back up. We don't. We need a first choice LB. And to be first choice you need to be available. Shaw is not. We can't rely on him. He should either go or accept he is back up. He can still get his 25/30 games as LCB and back up LB.
Because we are looking for loan deals not permanent transfer. If we sign someone permanently for left back then either malacia or shaw would be leaving. Which isn't going to happen. Which is why a RB who can cover at LB makes sense. Failing that a loan for reguilion or someone similar makes sense.

A few of us saw ferdi at the euros for turkey and were very impressed by him. However I personally think the chance of a sale is 0% as Mourinho wouldn't allow it. No doubt when he signed for fener he assessed the squad and probably has something in his contract that the club can't sell players without his approval or something. Its Mourinho after all, ferdi is the sort of multifunctional player he loves in his squad.

It was the mirror who reported Alonso and Reguilon links and then Fabrizio almost immediately came out and said there hasn't been any contact from United for those two players. So I don't think there's any need to get up in arms over those links...

We should sign Bradley Locko. Was the outstanding LB in France last season and is available for under 15m. Very good at attacking and solid defensively. Got Evra vibes.

We should be prioritising left back and spending money on it.

But instead we'll repeat the mistakes of last summer and go with Alonso or Cucurella

Anyone got an idea about Archie Brown? Is English and plays for Gent in Belgium.