The F1 Thread 2011 Season

Looks like they are not going to play the team radio, thank feck

have to disagree , always though Brundle was very good and very knowledgeable.

He is, but not as the lead commentator in my opinion
He's making a lot of the errors Legard is, and is seeming a bit foolish, he knows his stuff now about it, but it's so fast-paced and frenetic that the lead commentator will make a lot of errors

They should have given Croft a go

EDIT
And Sky would be wise to try and give a Croft-Brundle pairing a chance

I missed it :)

Lucky bastard

I love how halfway through the german anthem people think it's over then it keeps fecking going on, have people not heard it enough to know it's the longest anthem going

Button in the interview afterwards :lol:

"its good to finish the race after seb crashed into me last year..."

Niki Lauda calls the Lewis crash , he says it was Lewis's fault.

Lewis agrees.

After watching the replay, I realize it was my fault today 100%. I didn't give Kobayashi enough room though I thought in was past.

Apologies to Kamui and to my team. The team deserves better from me. Best wishes, Lewis

Congrats to Jenson, 1 solid drive.

if i was not working tonight i would have got the train up to manchester and definitely had a look :(

Just watched the highlights program, what a race! Gutted I missed it, great drive from Seb, Schumacher and Button in particular. Lewis' accident was a bad one, it looked like he was out cold at first - his head didn't move for a few seconds and he seemed muggy in the interview. Incident was probably his fault but it wasn't much of an error to be fair.

Roll on Monza, I reckon McLaren will be strong there.

So i was down there today, pissing down with rain but a great afternoon all the same. He drove the new MP4-12C a few times and then 2 laps in Lewis's championship winning MP4-23.

Didn't get any pictures, but got a few videos. This being the highlight (switch to HD mode):

http://www.facebook.com/v/539453751091

The noise coming from that car was something else, due to the distance we were from the road and the enclosed environment. Awesome!

So i was down there today, pissing down with rain but a great afternoon all the same. He drove the new MP4-12C a few times and then 2 laps in Lewis's championship winning MP4-23.

Didn't get any pictures, but got a few videos. This being the highlight (switch to HD mode):

The noise coming from that car was something else, due to the distance we were from the road and the enclosed environment. Awesome!

am I jealous , hell yes I am.
Would of been worth standing in the rain.

Two separate DRS zones to be used at Monza

The FIA is to use two independent DRS zones for the first time at the forthcoming Italian Grand Prix.

At most venues this year there has been only one zone in which the overtaking device can be deployed during races, but in Montreal and Valencia two areas were set up.

At those events the two DRS zones were on consecutive straights, but with a single detection point allowing drivers to trigger their wing flap for both.

For Monza, DRS can be deployed both on the start/finish straight and between the second Lesmo and the Ascari chicane. The detection point for the first zone will be on the exit of the Parabolica, with the other between the Lesmos.

feck. Off. This whole concept needs scrapping, it's absolutely shit, but two seperate zones? Jesus! Using it on the run down to Ascari seems a bit mental as well, that being downhill and the fastest run on the fastest circuit on the calendar.

A circuit map for those unfamiliar:

attachment.php

Got back yesterday from a long weekend Spa Francorchamps, had a great time.
First 2 days spent most of the time walking along side the track watching the practices & qualifying. Fantastic circuit even if it was very wet on Friday & Saturday.
On race day we decided to sit at the Bus Stop chicane just before the start & finish because we had a good view & TV screen with lots of over-taking there.
Loads of Brits at the circuit, I would say about 50 % of the spectators must have been British.
The race itself was good even though the Red Bulls did dominate. Shame about Hamilton, but Button was fantastic. He did most of his over-taking at the Bus Stop. Was easily the most spectacular drive.

feck. Off. This whole concept needs scrapping, it's absolutely shit, but two seperate zones? Jesus! Using it on the run down to Ascari seems a bit mental as well, that being downhill and the fastest run on the fastest circuit on the calendar.

A circuit map for those unfamiliar:

It just ruins the excitement. It ruins any chance of a slower car being able to hold onto a position for any amount of time (Mercedes were raped by DRS at Canada and Spa. It removed all skill, Schumacher drove an amazing defensive race in Canada last 10 laps, but was defenceless against Webber and Button with DRS). Its got to the point I actually prefer Bernies sprinklers idea to DRS

DRS only works when they get the length of the zone right and the circuit suits it. At Spa it was so far back down the straight the car behind just breezed past when all it should really do is allow the following car an oppurtunity to overtake.

I think it works but it needs refining and looked at better, two zones at Monza is silly. I can understand having one on the run down to Ascari but then you don't need it on the home straight.

I think DRS is great. The races are far more exciting and that can only be a good thing. Far more is happening. I think Bernie deserves some credit here. He's been fantastic for F1.

I think DRS is great. The races are far more exciting and that can only be a good thing. Far more is happening. I think Bernie deserves some credit here. He's been fantastic for F1.

Putting mario kart style oil slicks on the track would make more stuff happen but that doesn't make it good or exciting. I fail to see the excitement in cars being able to drive straight past each other on straights, it's boring and not proper racing. Also what does Bernie have to do with it? He doesn't write the technical regulations.

An extra 20kmph on the start finish straight, how early are they going to have to brake for that chicane! I think we might see an accident or two there tbh, unless the length of the straight after DRS activation means an overtake has been completed before the entry to the chicane. If not, late braking with the extra speed to get the overtake, it really is asking for trouble imo.

looks like it was a good day!!

was looking at some random f1 footage on youtube earlier, love this one. classic mark webber getting totally fecked off with the turkish marshals

anyone on here been to the british grand prix and watched from copse corner? booking tickets for next year and not sure if i should go for copse C or for a general admission, apparently general admission you need to be at the track at 6am to get a good spot now thats not a problem for me but my old man is coming with me and im not sure if he would be up for that whereas copse dosnt look too bad. can you get a clear view of maggots and becketts from there?

I was at Copse for the 2007 British GP, honestly its great during quali but during the race its rather dissapointing. Depending on where you sit you only really get to see the cars through Copse and on the run down to Maggots, its a deceptively long run down to there from Copse even though they complete it in seconds. Generally in the race not a lot of action takes place there in the dry.

General admission in my experience at Silverstone isn't that great, because the nature of the track and land its so flat you only really get to see the corner you are stood at. I think your best bet would be to get a grandstand seat in the new section if possible.

i see, thanks for the info, i think that the new section might just be a bit outside the budget though however i might just be able to squeeze enough cash for club or farm instead. the tickets are my christmas present you see so once i find out what the folks at home are willing to pay then i can make up the rest of it as necessary, no way do i expect them to pay all out for grand prix tickets. i thought there was a stand at stowe corner but there dosnt seem to be any tickets available for that area at all for next year, unless i am wrong and it has been general admission only all the time