The F1 Thread 2011 Season

hehe, it's too early for that kind of talk, but the guy is fecking brilliant there's no denying it.

If Vettel is Senna then that makes Webber the new Prost......

But yeah Webber I can't wait for another season of you in the best car on the grid and coming nowhere near your teammate in it.

Too fecking easy, can the others at least pretend to be on his level or do they need to restrict him?

They should just hand him a steering wheel without the car and say to him

"now let's see you go win it you arrogant cnut"

Button's been outstanding since his Mclaren switch. Been more impressed with him these last two seasons than his championship season.

Too fecking easy, can the others at least pretend to be on his level or do they need to restrict him?

There isn't much to be done when the car is about 0.5 quicker than the rest. Combine that with Vettel's amazing talent and it makes them unbeatable. Webber should be ashamed though. To not have won even 1 race in that car is a shameful effort.

Still, I think Alonso is the best allround driver.

Hamilton spent laps and laps trying to get past schumi, Lewis gets wide and jenson moved into P4 then button did what Lewis failed to do and passed schumi straight away :lol:

I suspect Jenson had been able to save his KERS for that point, which was why it looked so easy

Nice overtake though.

There isn't much to be done when the car is about 0.5 quicker than the rest. Combine that with Vettel's amazing talent and it makes them unbeatable. Webber should be ashamed though. To not have won even 1 race in that car is a shameful effort.

Still, I think Alonso is the best allround driver.

He shouldn't be ashamed, he shouldn't be signed up for the seat again. Ok you want Vettel as your Number 1, thats fine put a younger driver in the seat who has a future.

Or a guy like Webber who brings the points home and combined with your number 1 driver wins the constructors with ease. He's tied 3rd with Button.

Most of the grid could do that given the car Webber is in, he hasn't been on Vettel's pace except for one race all season, now Vettel is good but he should be matched across a season on a regular basis.

And if you can't match his pace then beat him with your head, like Button does instead you lose your front wing trying a suicide move against Massa.

I suspect Jenson had been able to save his KERS for that point, which was why it looked so easy

Nice overtake though.

well they were monitoring the KERS usage during the race and both button and hamilton were doing the same thing, not using KERS in the pit straight and saving it for the run up to ascari, thats why hamilton was kept behind schumi for so long he wasnt using KERS in the pit straight but in ascari he couldnt make the move stick at all, Button did the same and got it first go

well they were monitoring the KERS usage during the race and both button and hamilton were doing the same thing, not using KERS in the pit straight and saving it for the run up to ascari, thats why hamilton was kept behind schumi for so long he wasnt using KERS in the pit straight but in ascari he couldnt make the move stick at all, Button did the same and got it first go

But I guess Button perhaps didn't use his after the first chicane, which clearly Hamilton had done as he got up the inside and Schumacher squeezed him which forced him to come off the throttle which allowed Button past.

And I suspect Schumacher used his KERS there to defend Hamilton

Most of the grid could do that given the car Webber is in, he hasn't been on Vettel's pace except for one race all season, now Vettel is good but he should be matched across a season on a regular basis.

And if you can't match his pace then beat him with your head, like Button does instead you lose your front wing trying a suicide move against Massa.

Yeah but if most of the grid could do what he does now, why change it?

Yeah we all want to see another driver challenge Vettel, but I'd be surprised if Red Bull give a shit. It's their job to win the constructors and Vettel winning everything and Webber being 3rd in the points list tied with Button achieves that. They don't need to put in a driver that could come 2nd every year in the points if they don't need to, they already have one that's 3rd mixed with Vettel coming first.

What we want and what their priorities are are different.

But I guess Button perhaps didn't use his after the first chicane, which clearly Hamilton had done as he got up the inside and Schumacher squeezed him which forced him to come off the throttle which allowed Button past.

And I suspect Schumacher used his KERS there to defend Hamilton

i still think he got held up far too long, he should have been able to get by quicker than that. from what i was seeing schumi was using up most of his KERS in the run up to the first chicane and on the exit of the chicane too leaving him nothing for ascari, long before button got by him so if that was the case then lewis should have been able to do what button did a lot earlier. it was a great battle but he should have got through way way before he did

i still think he got held up far too long, he should have been able to get by quicker than that. from what i was seeing schumi was using up most of his KERS in the run up to the first chicane and on the exit of the chicane too leaving him nothing for ascari, long before button got by him so if that was the case then lewis should have been able to do what button did a lot earlier. it was a great battle but he should have got through way way before he did

I agree

Button definitely showed him how to get it done, but I think there were some extra circumstances to it. Another being that I think Hamilton was determined to have a good, clean race.

Other days, he'll throw a much more aggressive mood somewhere, but if he could have got past quicker, he probably would've got 2nd with Button 3rd

Yeah but if most of the grid could do what he does now, why change it?

Yeah we all want to see another driver challenge Vettel, but I'd be surprised if Red Bull give a shit. It's their job to win the constructors and Vettel winning everything and Webber being 3rd in the points list tied with Button achieves that. They don't need to put in a driver that could come 2nd every year in the points if they don't need to, they already have one that's 3rd mixed with Vettel coming first.

What we want and what their priorities are are different.

Of course Red Bull are well within their right to do that, they don't owe anything to us to provide a closer battle in their team. But your telling me over 100 points behind your team mate, zero wins and a monumental gap in pace in a car that at times this season has been quicker by an F1 country mile is good enough? No it isn't.

Red Bull only have two 1-2's so far this season in what will go down as one of the best cars ever raced.

I agree

Button definitely showed him how to get it done, but I think there were some extra circumstances to it. Another being that I think Hamilton was determined to have a good, clean race.

Other days, he'll throw a much more aggressive mood somewhere, but if he could have got past quicker, he probably would've got 2nd with Button 3rd

maybe hamilton was too cautious about not finishing another race, he has not had luck in monza in the past few years and he crashed out at spa. i remember him saying beforehand he was just looking to finish mostly but was obviously looking to finish strong

Of course Red Bull are well within their right to do that, they don't owe anything to us to provide a closer battle in their team. But your telling me over 100 points behind your team mate, zero wins and a monumental gap in pace in a car that at times this season has been quicker by an F1 country mile is good enough? No it isn't.

Red Bull only have two 1-2's so far this season in what will go down as one of the best cars ever raced.

Then if anything, RBR should stay the way they are rather than shutting out the rest of the grid and they don't just claim 1-2s every week.

Seriously I don't see a problem, on one hand you've got everyone saying omg german cnut won again just like schumacher RBR are just going to win every race, then you've got people saying, it's a joke, why don't RBR do this so we can watch them 1-2 every week.

they have a setup that's bringing the results in, there's no step above to move to, so they will carry on as they are. If they make a change, they will still finish in the same position as they are doing now each year.

I wouldn't moan about 1-2's if it was Vettel vs Alonso, Vettel vs Button, Vettel vs Hamilton in the same car because we would see a battle, at the moment with Webber we see a whitewash.

It's not going to change, for one none of the top drivers are moving any time soon. All we can hope for is 2012 either Red Bull slip back into the pack a bit or the rest build better cars.

I wouldn't moan about 1-2's if it was Vettel vs Alonso, Vettel vs Button, Vettel vs Hamilton in the same car because we would see a battle, at the moment with Webber we see a whitewash.

It's not going to change, for one none of the top drivers are moving any time soon. All we can hope for is 2012 either Red Bull slip back into the pack a bit or the rest build better cars.

That's what I hope for tbh... we've seen this season how most people on here don't give a shit about P2 through P24. As soon as Vettel is on course for the winner everyone moans about him winning and forgets there are 23 other cars behind him. If you put a better driver in RB2 and he gets P2 all the time or P1 with Vettel P2 then people will do the same, forgetting about everyone else.

If everyone else builds better cars, their own drivers can make it a 6-8 horse race rather than what we are seeing now.

Yeah the other teams need to up there shit, I mean the fact McLaren can't even build a skinny rear wing that works is baffling.

Newey has free reign at Red Bull though and his early years they were still very much a mid level setup. He isn't god, he won't build fast cars every season but the RB5 set the starting point when the rules changed and its evolved into the RB7 which will provide yet another strong basis for the 2012 car. I can't see them slipping down the order anytime soon.

The only way i see Newey suffering in terms of design is if there's a major rule change & he struggles to adapt. It'll happen in 2013 if RBR walk next years title.

The only way i see Newey suffering in terms of design is if there's a major rule change & he struggles to adapt. It'll happen in 2013 if RBR walk next years title.

I agree with this bit. For all the Ferrari International Assistance shit from a few years ago, the FIA were quite active about changing the rules to try (in vain) to stop Schumacher dominating.

Still don't think Newey is infallible though. Ferrari and Renault had his number during the first part of the last decade

I agree with this bit. For all the Ferrari International Assistance shit, the FIA were quite active about changing the rules to try (in vain) to stop Schumacher dominating.

Still don't think Newey is infallible though. Ferrari and Renault had his number during the first part of the last decade

Outgoing Williams technical director Sam Michael will begin a new role as McLaren sporting director in 2012.

The Australian, who announced in May he would resign from Williams at the end of this season, will now focus on McLaren's trackside operations.

"I'm extremely excited to be joining McLaren," Michael said. "They are one of the all-time greats of Formula 1."

McLaren team boss Martin Whitmarsh said Michael would bring "experience and expertise to our pitwall".

Michael's last grand prix in his capacity as Williams technical director will be at the next race in Singapore.

He is not due to travel to the final five races of the season with Williams but could appear in the paddock with McLaren, even though he will not start his new role with them until 2012.

While former McLaren engineer Mike Coughlan - the man at the heart of the 2007 spy-gate scandal - has returned to Williams as chief engineer, Michael takes on a new position within McLaren's technical team.

The Australian's role will focus on development and management of the team's trackside operations as well as working closely with drivers Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button.

"I'm very pleased to welcome Sam as an important senior addition to our race team," added Whitmarsh.

"I'm certain he'll work extremely well with our senior technical management team, which I firmly believe will now become the strongest in all of F1."

The role of McLaren sporting director was last held by Dave Ryan, who was fired by the team for his part in "lie-gate" at the 2009 Australian Grand Prix, where Hamilton was disqualified for misleading race stewards.

Michael has now filled that vacant role but his appointment is not expected to affect anyone else's position within the team.

The Australian joined Williams in 2001 as chief operations engineer and was later promoted to technical director, a position he held for eight seasons.

"I've spent 11 seasons with Williams, have many fond memories, and truly wish them all the best," Michael said.

"In the near future, however, I will become 100% focused on McLaren. I already know and respect many of the team's senior technical management figures, and becoming a member of that excellent working unit was one of the prime attractions of this new position.

"Equally, for some time I've closely observed and greatly admired both Lewis and Jenson as grade-one drivers, and therefore regard it as an enormous privilege to be able to work with both of them."

The restructure at Williams has already seen Jason Somerville arrive as the team's new head of aerodynamics, while Mark Gillan will join the team as chief operations engineer later this month.

The team's co-founder Sir Frank Williams commented: "I am delighted that Sam has found a new role that will enable him to continue to apply his energy, passion and experience to F1.

"On behalf of everyone at Williams, I wish him a successful move to his new team."

BBC Sport - Sam Michael to become McLaren sporting director after Williams exit

Was with Williams on the down turn, but to be fair it was at that time they lost the BMW backing and they haven't really recovered since. I think McLaren lack someone on the pitwall in the races and he might be a great solution.

Going into a different role too, after Dave Ryan was scapegoated out. I like Michael, he seems good guy, can't wish him too much luck though :p

McLaren are desperate for someone who can help on strategy, not a bad move for both parties.

BBC to offer red button GP rerun - report

BBC to offer red button GP rerun - report

The BBC's contentious partially-live coverage of Formula One from the start of the 2012 season will include full 'red button' race reruns of those grands prix that it does not show live, according to reports from the UK media this week.

The free-to-air channel sacrificed part of their current exclusive live TV package to the sport from next season, in a highly controversial tie-up with pay TV channel Sky Sports.
From the start of 2012, only Sky will show every one of the 20 races in 2011 live, with the BBC covering ten races live and showing the rest through some form of highlights show.

Although the BBC is yet to confirm the full details of their 2012 coverage, reports from the UK media now claim that their highlights deal will include a race rerun option through their red button interactive channel.

The full race will be shown as-live through the interactive service at the same time that a highlights package of the race is broadcast on their main channels.

The final details of the BBC/Sky split coverage are still unclear.

F1 teams are eager for the races to be shown in full on the BBC in order to maximise their exposure to fans, though FOM boss Bernie Ecclestone is said to favour a condensed hour-long highlights show for non-live BBC races.

The red button option would allow both of those options to be included in the BBC's schedule.

Nobody from the BBC has yet officially confirmed the reports regarding the interactive race reruns, though the corporation is set to shore up the details of their 2012 coverage soon.

Currently, the BBC has only confirmed that they will retain the rights to show the British and Monaco GPs live, along with the season finale in Brazil.

The Sky/BBC deal is currently set to run until the 2018 season, and marks the end of F1's exclusive free-to-air run in the UK.

Meanwhile, some reports regarding Sky's coverage in 2012 have suggested that the pay TV giants are set to offer an unprecedented level of coverage for GP weekends.

The current strong rumour regarding Sky's deal is that their weekend coverage of F1 will include full coverage of the F1 support events, including GP2 and GP3.

The support events are currently shown on the Eurosport pay TV channel in the UK.

thank God, I would be moderately satisfied with being able to watch the races on the red button when sky have coverage