The beginning of the end... (the original board vetoed Mourinho's transfer wish list thread)

Sorry, but people need to start paying attention to what is actually being said instead of believing every bit of negative bullshit that some idiot just makes up on the spot.
Well said. It is getting ridiculous thousands of different crazy interpretations of what Jose is saying being thrown around into a blender and vomited out ad nauseum on here and being debated as if they are real. It is so tiresome. Glad the season starts tomorrow, if we lose then there will genuinely be something to moan about.

Neither player moved clubs, so we don't know at what price they become sellable, nor whether we made an enquiry. Without wanting to derail this thread, my opinion is that Ashley Young is a better option than Kurzawa. It's not outrageous to say that Young had a better season than Sandro too. Perhaps Jose thinks the same.

I don't disagree myself on Young. It's Shaw still being at the club that I have an issue with. He simply isn't at the required standard in terms of performance or conditioning.

Young should be one of two left backs for the coming season but I can't see how Shaw is even a decent backup. I'd much rather Young given his age was 2nd choice behind a world class player. That's what it will take to win this league and beat Man City. Ben Mendy before his injury was a freight train. If he recaptures the form he had in his last season with Monaco its going to be painful comparing him to Young or Shaw this season.

Did the Board also Vetoed Lvg's Target Sadio Mane and Wanted a more Maketable Mkh in 2016?

Clear indication of a Flip Flop Board Woodward having no clue what he is doing.

If Jose finds a new level and the hissy-fit chuckers in the team can pull their heads in we can make this a great season.

Thought Fabregas wanted to go to London? And remember the Herrera debacle that led to Moyes panic buying Fellaini - and only because he had managed him beforehand or he'd never been on the radar. Moyes hadn't a fecking clue how to handle working for a club the size and status of United and bumbled that entire summer window.

SAF, LVG and Mou had plenty experience on how to handle a club the size and status of United and yet.....the former ended up having to replace his stars with 'value', the team left by LVG had just 1 WC player in it and now even Mou has problems dealing with the club. What is the common denominator?

Yes he knows not to overspend on 29-30 years olds the same as Barcelona's dof who also backed away and got Malcolm instead. If Chelsea wouldn't sell to a foreign club for 45m how much would they want from a direct rival?

I didn't even know Barcelona signed Malcom. Good enough for them you would think he would be good enough for us.

Ed's a shrewd business guy... He probably told Jose... We can get Toby... just need to wait for 6 months as Spurs would have to activate the one year extension to prevent him leaving on a free which drives down the price to 25m. So if Ed paid 25m for Toby in Jan, it wouldn't be all that bad.

If Ed vetoed some of the deals, I'm happy because he's thinking long term. He probably realized that we've got so much deadwood to clear out as it is and when Jose leaves, we would need to clean the deadwood that he would leave when he gets sacked.

Either way, I'm curious to know what approach will Jose employ in trying to get the best out of the squad.

The club's logic is spot on.

They should go one further and sack the cnut they employed.

I would be inclined to agree. However, as of yet, he's not spat out the dummy. His reaction over the next couple of weeks will be telling.

If Jose finds a new level and the hissy-fit chuckers in the team can pull their heads in we can make this a great season.[/QUOTE]
We still have a very good team so that is possible.

Not sure why the players are "hissy fit chuckers" given that largely fits the managers behavior better.

Mou needs to work with players rather than just throwing a strop and discarding them if they don’t work out straight away. I’m glad the board didn’t give in to his capriciousness. We’d have ended up with even more sub standard players we can’t get rid of in a year or two.

SAF, LVG and Mou had plenty experience on how to handle a club the size and status of United and yet.....the former ended up having to replace his stars with 'value', the team left by LVG had just 1 WC player in it and now even Mou has problems dealing with the club. What is the common denominator?

Ed is your answer, whereas I don't know as I'm not working inside the club's management nor obsessed with media print/posts or club statements. But let's not gloss over the fact you pointed out Moyes/Fabregas/Fellaini to paint a biased picture. Just use the other managerial issues with club management.

I'm against the manager but either sack him or back him. Taking the middle way isn't doing anyone favours. Woodward seems to have taken the cowardly route out.

Ideally Mourinho goes out and Woodward leaves the football decisions to someone else more competent.

Must admit I'm rather confused by 95% of the discussion! Are people forgetting all of the 25 and under signings Jose has made in his two seasons here? Squads need to be made from a mixture of ages and experience.

Have people forgotten how SAF (our greatest ever) would also buy players with no re-sale value e.g Sherringham, Blanc, RVP!

The key issue is the exorbitant fees for said players nowadays! Clubs do not need the money so why should they sell their prized assets?

Very good. For too long we've squandered fortunes on dross. We're fed up with it and no doubt the board have become fed up with it.

Ed is your answer, whereas I don't know as I'm not working inside the club's management nor obsessed with media print/posts or club statements. But let's not gloss over the fact you pointed out Moyes/Fabregas/Fellaini to paint a biased picture. Just use the other managerial issues with management.

Its the truth though. Moyes wanted Fabregas, the club dilly dallied throughout the entire summer transfer campaign and we ended up with Fellaini on a more expensive fee (he had a minimum fee that could easily be activated a month before). I was watching BBC in a pub at Cardiff that night and they weren't even sure if his papers passed on time. That's the sort of mess we were in.

So lets not try to gloss upon these people's incompetency. This is not the first time we've been in this silly situation.

Where to even begin with this awful window. We don't even need a CB, yet spent the last couple of weeks pursuing sub-par options while ignoring strengthening areas of actual weakness. Of all the things to push Jose over the edge and out the door, it will be over a CB that we don't even need after buying one each season he's been here.

I'd have to agree with the board here though. Toby would have improved us, but dealing with Levy is a nightmare. The other targets were laughable and then the desperation of triggering Godin's release clause, only to not surprisingly be turned down by the player, i.e., a waste of time; he was never going to leave Atletico. It's just as terrible as wasting time talking to Madrid about Varane or Bale. It's not going to happen and Ed just does it for optics, similar to how Barcelona just wanted to be linked with Pogba, knowing he's not obtainable.

The real tradgedy in all of this is that a club of United's size and prestige doesn't have a scouting department. If we're only relying on a list of players provided by the manager to pursue, we have bigger problems than not buying over-vauled CB's. We sorely lack a director of football to sort out the transfer non-sense that has been ongoing for years. We're in a continual re-building phase because the club has zero direction or leadership at the board level.

Meanwhile, we'll continue to be toothless in attack and just hope that Lukaku can muscle one in or that Sanchez can dribble past 3 defenders and score by himself.

Posted this on the other thread, I think it has its place here as well.

Confirmed on Red issue. This post was doing the round on Twitter 30 minutes before the briefings came out (source reddit).

G6zuP1J_d.jpg

Quite interesting really, the same squad that Benitez had at Madrid and he was a disaster. Yet he never took much blame for that mess. Treated like a god at Newcastle and the scousers still adore him.
Well Heynkess turned a mess that LvG left behind into Treble winning machine that swept Barca aside.

Still didn’t get in his way(LvG) to land a high profile job shortly after both at club and interns level.

So it seems like the club:

Wouldn’t pay 60m+ for Alderweireld (29).
Wouldn’t pay 50m+ for Boateng (29+injury record)
Wouldn’t pay 60m+ for Perisic (29 and a left winger)
Wouldn’t pay 75m+ for Maguire (average)
Don’t want to sell Martial or Pogba despite Jose tensions/wishes
Wouldn’t pay excessive fees for Mina (crap).

Other targets weren’t available.

I am 100% ok with this. Now Jose can pull his finger out and actually coach one of the most expensive squads ever assembled.
Seems reasonable. But it does look like we have settled for top 4 this season as the weaknesses in our squad have still not been addressed. Meanwhile, I hope players like Shaw, Martial and most of our CBs know that this is their last chance here.

Its the truth though. Moyes wanted Fabregas, the club dilly dallied throughout the entire summer transfer campaign and we ended up with Fellaini on a more expensive fee (he had a minimum fee that could easily be activated a month before). I was watching BBC in a pub at Cardiff that night and they weren't even sure if his papers passed on time. That's the sort of mess we were in.

So lets not try to gloss upon these people's incompetency. This is not the first time we've been in this silly situation.

The club obviously did not rate Fellaini enough to make a bid before the clause in his contract changed. He was an obvious panic buy from a manager that had worked with him, and would not have been signed had they not fecked up the Herrera transfer. I don't recall the whole Fabregas saga but I seem to recall United were never in the lead on his signature, nor his preferred destination. Was this also the summer they supposedly went all-in on that Barcelona player that signed with Bayern?

The key issue is the exorbitant fees for said players nowadays! Clubs do not need the money so why should they sell their prized assets?

This is why one needs a proactive approach in this market. Not a pragmatic Reactive approach.

The manager needs go out and buy these players proactively a season before and not Reactively after their is no option than to just buy them at any prices and .the board must not define a limited budget of 150 m pounds per year to get some fixed signings a clubs needs immediately and then just stop because the money is finished.

There is disconnect on all scales and the football and the players and the money men all suffer with this approach and transition is extended again and again.

I'm against the manager but either sack him or back him. Taking the middle way isn't doing anyone favours. Woodward seems to have taken the cowardly route out.

Ideally Mourinho goes out and Woodward leaves the football decisions to someone else more competent.
Spot on, and the bolded part is becoming a bit of a theme, isn’t it? No vision, no plan at the top level of the club.

Should this also be a finger pointed at the Glazers?

Or, are the Glazers fully hands off (except for profits of course)?

No the Glazers allowed 350 m spend. It solely lies on Woodward. It matters how you plan your way and use your kitty.

To think people were having a go at the board for penny pinching and Woodward for being useless. No, looks like they've finally cottoned on that spending hundreds of millions on mediocre players isn't sustainable. If we're going to spend £60m plus on a defender, make sure the defender is world class.

However it begs the question why hire Mourinho in the first place. He's a short term manager who wants short term fixes at any cost.

He has been backed. The club are simply (and quite rightly) not pissing millions of pounds up the wall on players that aren't that good (Mina) or particularly suitable (Boateng).

DoF or not, if there's no spin being put on what's reported then why the hell hasn't Woodward (either before or after seeing Jose's wish list), given Jose a spec of player (position, age range, max price/wages) that we will be willing to buy? It doesn't make any sense.

Until a week ago, Jose was convinced he would get at least one more player. He must be being kept informed by the board as to where negotiations are up to, so either the board outright lied to him about what they were willing to do only one week ago or this is just some face-saving bollocks that's going to achieve nothing but piss off Mourinho further.

And as has been said many times, if they are expecting a typical meltdown season, then why the hell haven't they got rid before the season began, as opposed to waiting until, e.g. December, by which time it will be almost certainly too late to salvage anything.

Suggesting that the Glazers are happy to stumble along with top 4 finishes to keep the coffers full is similarly misguided. Our current position as a marketing behemoth is built on a foundation of continuous success and, admittedly, an attractive never-say-die style of play. Top tier sponsors and partners will not want to be associated with the brand of United unconditionally should these fundamentals not be in place. Surely the board see that when you command millions for a shirt sponsorship deal with Adidas that is based predominantly on the years immediately preceding said deal? If renewal for sponsor xyz comes up and we've been largely mediocre, both in terms of silverware and playing style, surely we don't get as much cash? Success breeds success and they seem to be to blind to see it.

The club obviously did not rate Fellaini enough to make a bid before the clause in his contract changed. He was an obvious panic buy from a manager that had worked with him, and would not have been signed had they not fecked up the Herrera transfer. I don't recall the whole Fabregas saga but I seem to recall United were never in the lead on his signature, nor his preferred destination. Was this also the summer they supposedly went all-in on that Barcelona player that signed with Bayern?

I don't think Moyes saw his former player as a first option either. However at the end of the transfer market it was either him or no one and we all know our CM needed new players. Which kind of suggest that maybe, LVG and Mou were forced to do the same ie rely on their contacts because the club is too incompetent to bring new players themselves.

If Mou is sacked/leaves then he'll be the third manager to fail with us. You might say that SAF also failed to build his fourth great side as he stuck to the 'value' strategy that saw top players being systematically replaced by the likes of Valencia, Young, Cleverley, Jones and Smalling. So either lightening can indeed strike 4 times at the same place or else our troubles are way bigger then the manager

He has been backed. The club are simply (and quite rightly) not pissing millions of pounds up the wall on players that aren't that good (Mina) or particularly suitable (Boateng).

If you don't trust the manager then don't give him a contract extension. I'm against Mourinho and want him out of the club. But you can't give him an extension and then brief just months later that they don't think he's a long term manager.

It's a complete failure of planning. Besides how does a public briefing help?

Why would Varane leave the 3 times CL winners for a club who hasn't been anywhere close to winning the EPL title in 4 years? Its like Southampton saying that they would be willing to get DDG for 100m if only he was available.

Said this in the other thread (why two?) but:

DoF or not, if there's no spin being put on what's reported then why the hell hasn't Woodward (either before or after seeing Jose's wish list), given Jose a spec of player (position, age range, max price/wages) that we will be willing to buy? It doesn't make any sense.

Until a week ago, Jose was convinced he would get at least one more player. He must be being kept informed by the board as to where negotiations are up to, so either the board outright lied to him about what they were willing to do only one week ago or this is just some face-saving bollocks that's going to achieve nothing but piss off Mourinho further.

And as has been said many times, if they are expecting a typical meltdown season, then why the hell haven't they got rid before the season began, as opposed to waiting until, e.g. December, by which time it will be almost certainly too late to salvage anything.

Suggesting that the Glazers are happy to stumble along with top 4 finishes to keep the coffers full is similarly misguided. Our current position as a marketing behemoth is built on a foundation of continuous success and, admittedly, an attractive never-say-die style of play. Top tier sponsors and partners will not want to be associated with the brand of United unconditionally should these fundamentals not be in place. Surely the board see that when you command millions for a shirt sponsorship deal with Adidas that is based predominantly on the years immediately preceding said deal? If renewal for sponsor xyz comes up and we've been largely mediocre, both in terms of silverware and playing style, surely we don't get as much cash? Success breeds success and they seem to be to blind to see it.

Great timing, to be leaking this to the press on the eve of the new season. Just what you want the media, fans, manager and players to be thinking about at this point.

If you don't trust the manager then don't give him a contract extension. I'm against Mourinho and want him out of the club. But you can't give him an extension and then brief just months later that they don't think he's a long term manager.

It's a complete failure of planning. Besides how does a public briefing help?

Best post so far (no sarcasm)

Should this also be a finger pointed at the Glazers?

Or, are the Glazers fully hands off (except for profits of course)?
Ultimately, the buck stops with the Glazers. If Woodward isn’t up to the task, and their prized asset, that was at the top of the game does a Liverpool-esque slide down the totem pole, it’s obviously up to the Glazers to identify the problem and rectify the situation. When you’re in charge, you can’t leave the kids alone at home and claim it wasn’t your fault when they tear down the house.

So it seems like the club:

Wouldn’t pay 60m+ for Alderweireld (29).
Wouldn’t pay 50m+ for Boateng (29+injury record)
Wouldn’t pay 60m+ for Perisic (29 and a left winger)
Wouldn’t pay 75m+ for Maguire (average)
Don’t want to sell Martial or Pogba despite Jose tensions/wishes
Wouldn’t pay excessive fees for Mina (crap).

Other targets weren’t available.

I am 100% ok with this. Now Jose can pull his finger out and actually coach one of the most expensive squads ever assembled.

Yeah, good post. Think the Alderweireld price is fair enough but he'll cost half that in a years time so fair enough. Maguire might wind up being worth 75m but he'll hardly get any more expensive so another year proving as much seems wise. If Boateng was worth 50m Bayern wouldn't be selling him. We could take a punt again but its way too early to write Lindelof and Bailly off.

Why would Varane leave the 3 times CL winners for a club who hasn't been anywhere close to winning the EPL title in 4 years? Its like Southampton saying that they would be willing to get DDG for 100m if only he was available.

Well done on missing the point.