The beginning of the end... (the original board vetoed Mourinho's transfer wish list thread)

LVG wouldn't know who Morgan was, I don't care what anyone says.
Im dubious about that first season, I can't believe he was scouting for players while preparing to go deep in the WC.
Didn't we sign Morgan on the second season LVG was here? You know, after he was on England for a season and played against Morgan a couple of times?

I know that LVG had problems, but not sure he was demented.

Didn't we sign Morgan on the second season LVG was here? You know, after he was on England for a season and played against Morgan a couple of times?

I know that LVG had problems, but not sure he was demented.
Shit, that period all blends together!

Actually he did, not that I love or defend him or anything, I hate the man, but he did said Ed didn't fully get him what he wanted, whether that's true or not is something else.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/05/30/loui...y-manchester-united-transfer-targets-7589702/
I am talking specifically about Schweiny, which the poster mentioned.

And every manager has some target that he wanted and couldn't get. Pep didn't get Sanchez, and needed to wait one year for Mahrez. He also couldn't get Jorginho (and the legend says, Pogba and Fred). Injustices everywhere!

Could you imagine if Woodward has started telling Fergie about who he could sign? "Sorry Alex but Robin is 29 with no resale value".

We are doomed as a club with Woodward acting as a DOF.

I agree with your latter point to an extent but we did sign Sanchez for a significant wage for a 3 year contract which if he turns again to play rubbish this year could be an issue! Also spent a hefty amount on Matic a year back.

I suspect we'll probably pay the £25m for Alderweireld next summer anyway or a bit more in January.

Ironically due to short-termism

The short-term results at that time could have left the club in dire situation. Missing two CL qualifications in a row would cause significant revenue loss and potentially even lesser players wanting to join us.

I believe Mourinho was brought to steady the ship and he did that well. Concentrating on long-term success is far more feasible now.

I agree with your latter point to an extent but we did sign Sanchez for a significant wage for a 3 year contract which if he turns again to play rubbish this year could be an issue! Also spent a hefty amount on Matic a year back.

I suspect we'll probably pay the £25m for Alderweireld next summer anyway or a bit more in January.

Who is our best outfield player perhaps in terms of quality and consistency.

Found a piece in the Guardian. Mindblowing stuff altogether.

THEN WHY DID YOU HIRE THE MISERABLE TWAT, YOU GOGGLE EYED DIPSHIT?!?

*and breath*

Obviously hope it’s all paper talk but why in the hell is Woodward even allowed an opinion on who to sign? Or are there other, actual football people, in the mix here? Sir Bob?!

Mourinho assesses the talent and Woodward the monetary aspect. Both can then have their own opinions on the others reasoning to form a final opinion.

If Matic were available for 65M-75M last season, would you have been happy for the board to have made that purchase, as that is the crux of the matter.

Matic has been excellent and worth every penny of 40m.

It's an awful precedent for our future if Woodward is making the football decisions.

Glad the board did .Paying £100 million for Perisic and Alderwhatshisface who will both be 30 soon is ridiculous. United have a good squad, if misery guts can't get us challenging then he needs to go.All this about a desperate need for a centre back is baffling. United had the second best defence last season only conceding one more goal than City and apparently we are desperate for defenders.

I said this in the other thread but again, these briefings are nothing new. Woodward seems to feel the need to do it to justify what we did or didn't spend, and then the press put their spin on it. These things always seems to attempt to put some angle on it where United were ultimately in control, rather than just missing out on players, or things not in their favour happening, which is clearly bollocks, but it's how Woodward or whoever briefs the press on his behalf seems to think PR works.

Why people read so much into it and have a bloody meltdown over it I don't know. The only thing it tells you is that Woodward is somewhat self absorbed and more worried about justifying things than thinking aboout what is or isn't helpful to say. This stuff comes out after every transfer window regalrdess of whether it is good timing or sensible.

Has everyone forgotten the stupid fax machine story, or every paper on earth somehow simultaneously reporting that United had reached an agreement with Jose, 5 months before Van Gaal was sacked? Even after the diasastrous Moyes transfer window, suddenly every paper had some story about how we turned down this and that player, and had put money aside for Ronaldo, etc...all a load of bollocks but clearly it came from the club.

Who is our best outfield player perhaps in terms of quality and consistency.

Either way fair play to Woodward for sanctioning it then, the cnut.

(Not sure I fully agree with best outfield in terms of consistency and quality but our players have been largely average and only really Young comes to mind as a counter in terms of consistency).

Matic has been excellent and worth every penny of 40m.

It's an awful precedent for our future if Woodward is making the football decisions.

Matic has been alright, excellent is a bit much as he dwells on the ball when he recieves it a bit too long. Fred will help with the urgency. Certainly he isn't a bargain at £40m and I'd rather we signed Kante the previous summer.

There is a definite fall in expectations in calling Matic the best signing ever. Either way I think Woodward would have been fine spending £40m on Alderweireld. Levy wanted much more.

Why is everyone so obsessed with age?
Probably because the board are away that Mourinho has left go Salah, De Bruyne, Robben, Lukaku and others. Because Mourinho is a short term manager with short term ambitions. Getting 2 years out of a player with no sell on value is no skin of Mourinho's nose.

I am talking specifically about Schweiny, which the poster mentioned.

And every manager has some target that he wanted and couldn't get. Pep didn't get Sanchez, and needed to wait one year for Mahrez. He also couldn't get Jorginho (and the legend says, Pogba and Fred). Injustices everywhere!

He wanted Bastian, I'm pretty sure about that but not sure he wanted Di Maria considering he played him as a striker then benched him completely. Doesn't look like a player he actually knew what his position was. That was amarketable signing done by Ed, 7 shirt and all that.

I will consider the second paragraph as a joke because it can't be anything else. Poor Pep not being able to add yet another attacking player while he had KDB, Silva x2, Sane, Sterling, Aguero, Jesus. Poor Pep for not getting a back up midfielder fo Fernandinho. That must have hurt having to stick with what we have. Surely that's completely equal to our case, surely.

Let's forget that the board completely made a revolution for him in the second summer spending 180m on full backs and GK. Let's forget that they had no problem paying for Ederson even after Pep signing a flop like Bravo last summer, not running around saying that Pep signed a flop so he shouldn't be trusted to pay money for another GK.

Pep didn't get Sanchez and Jorginho because they chose us and Chelsea over them, not because the board didn't pay. Pep said that exactly when discussing Jorginho deal failure, they had full agreement with him and he changed his opinion. The board can't be blamed and after all, these were luxury players for them. When they went on to spend on their weakness points, they overspent everyone else in the market. That's the ambition of a board wanting to win big titles.

Lukaku - Sanchez - Pogba - Matic - Fred - Bailly - Lindelof...! he bought himself a midfield! what else does he want?
is he just a chequebook-Manager?! let's fire that man ASAP!

While this may address some of the claims that the club are a set of idiots in regards to transfers, despite it not being true at all, what is the point of this, if it has indeed been leaked by the club?

And what business do the board have throwing one of the most successful managers on the game today under the bus, a day before the season kicks off? More so, why are some fans revelling in it?

This transfer window has been an anomaly. A number of clubs have been less active that we’ve been used to. Some smaller clubs have spent excessively. It feels like we reached a peak in terms of crazy transfer windows and things have settled down. The reaction from the media and our own fans has been pathetic. And now the board decided to leak this pointless statement on the eve of the season?

I'm sure Mourinho played more academy players than any other manager in the league last season also. And many of his signings have plenty of years in them. It looked pretty obvious that he was building a team of youth and experience, but we lack more of experience now than the youth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it was about bloody time the club grew a pair and came back with some kind of response. Albeit through a non quoted article. Jose has been slagging them at every opportunity. And you know what, the board are spot on. Throwing 60 million at 30 year old players, whilst trying to sneak 22 year old players out the back door is a ridiculous way to run a football club. The fact that Mourinho has absolutely no interest in young players, and completely dismisses the ones in our ranks, it makes a mockery of our identity, and what we stand for as a club. The club, the board, and the fans all want to see young players given a chance and watch them develop. Of course, we also want some A listers too, but there should be a fine blend between the two. The club have asked themselves the question, will Mourinho even be around when Perisic, Willian, Alderweireld are 33? Do we even want these players at 33? Probably not. Andreas Pereira could be a superstar for us. He probably would be well established now at most other clubs. Jose won't give him a look in once the full squad is fit. He won't give Luke Shaw a run of games, even though we all know he is a massive improvement on Ashley Young. The same with Dalot, will he ever get the nod above Valencia this season? Can't see it. Another pissed off young talent, looking for the exits.

I cannot see Jose working out for us anymore. He is on one path and everybody else is on a different one. Woodward is Ghosting him already. They need to have a plan B in the wings, because this could be sooner than we think. I really wanted Jose to work out for us, but we got the burned out miserable version, not the firecracker that went to Inter ten years ago. That chap is long gone.

I back the manager here. He's given plenty of chances to existing stock, he's bought in young players and not all of them have hit the required standard. If you want to be the best, you need to have the best players.

This season we'll see the sense behind Sanchez, had we signed Toby and Willian, we'd have seen that same mature dependable performance across the pitch.

Why is Woodward making football related decisions what are his credentials. Once again the Glazer's prove to be a living breathing plague on this football club.

How can people not see this as a positive?

Woodward had a meeting with Perez regarding Verane for £100m (or even Bale). He is WILLING to pay the money for top players. Let's be honest, all the names we have been linked with Willan, Maguire, Toby etc are not better than our best players in these positions.

Woodward wants to buy players who are better than players currently have, not better than our 2nd/3rd choice CBs. There is a difference.
Think about it, would Barcelona/Real Madrid/Bayern Munich buy any of the players we have been linked with?

Why try to go over the odds on players who are not world class? Fans want to buy the best players, but willing for the club to pay over the odds for non-world class players?

I would rather wait a season for 1 world class player, rather than replace average players with slightly better players.

Mourinho has more than capable players, don't be fooled.

Well yeah, Barca wanted Willian for a start.

He wanted Bastian, I'm pretty sure about that but not sure he wanted Di Maria considering he played him as a striker then benched him completely. Doesn't look like a player he actually knew what his position was. That was amarketable signing done by Ed, 7 shirt and all that.

I will consider the second paragraph as a joke because it can't be anything else. Poor Pep not being able to add yet another attacking player while he had KDB, Silva x2, Sane, Sterling, Aguero, Jesus. Poor Pep for not getting a back up midfielder fo Fernandinho. That must have hurt having to stick with what we have. Surely that's completely equal to our case, surely.

Let's forget that the board completely made a revolution for him in the second summer spending 180m on full backs and GK. Let's forget that they had no problem paying for Ederson even after Pep signing a flop like Bravo last summer, not running around saying that Pep signed a flop so he shouldn't be trusted to pay money for another GK.

Pep didn't get Sanchez and Jorginho because they chose us and Chelsea over them, not because the board didn't pay. Pep said that exactly when discussing Jorginho deal failure, they had full agreement with him and he changed his opinion. The board can't be blamed and after all, these were luxury players for them. When they went on to spend on their weakness points, they overspent everyone else in the market. That's the ambition of a board wanting to win big titles.
Poor Mourinho for getting only 7 our of his 8 targets in the first two summers, and then moaning for not getting the eighth (Perisic) for a few months until we got a superior player (that he wanted to) in Sanchez, and made him by far the best payed player in the league. Poor poor moaning guy! Poor guy, only just above 400m pounds spent on 24 months and having the highest wage bill in the league. His biggest achievement was to play as good as Stoke City, we should count ourselves lucky cause we could have easily played like Wimbledon FC.

Sanchez case was quite clearly, he joins whoever pays more money. We payed more than City, simple as that.

LVG wouldn't know who Morgan was, I don't care what anyone says.
Im dubious about that first season, I can't believe he was scouting for players while preparing to go deep in the WC.

'The most difficult thing can be explained to the most slow-witted man if he has not formed any idea of them already; but the simplest thing can not be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of a doubt, what is laid before him.'

Your comment sums up the Caf these days. People spouting false statement and mistruths and they don't care what anyone else says. No wonder the mood is so bleak.

Why is Woodward making football related decisions what are his credentials. Once again the Glazer's prove to be a living breathing plague on this football club.

He has none. He's a money man, a finance expert. Probably never kicked a ball. He helped the Glazers buy the club, that's what he does. Why anyone trusts him when it comes to picking who we should sign is beyond me.

Either way fair play to Woodward for sanctioning it then, the cnut.

(Not sure I fully agree with best outfield in terms of consistency and quality but our players have been largely average and only really Young comes to mind as a counter in terms of consistency).
Well if we're to trust the caf Matic was 8 times chosen as MoTM and has the highest average rating after DDG.

Glad the board did .Paying £100 million for Perisic and Alderwhatshisface who will both be 30 soon is ridiculous. United have a good squad, if misery guts can't get us challenging then he needs to go.All this about a desperate need for a centre back is baffling. United had the second best defence last season only conceding one more goal than City and apparently we are desperate for defenders.

Look at how we had to approach games tactically to achieve that. Better defenders = less defensive duties for the players in front of them.

'The most difficult thing can be explained to the most slow-witted man if he has not formed any idea of them already; but the simplest thing can not be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of a doubt, what is laid before him.'

Your comment sums up the Caf these days. People spouting false statement and mistruths and they don't care what anyone else says. No wonder the mood is so bleak.
....or opinions?
Check my comment history, Im a positive voice on here.

please explain to me one thing. How can a manager get the first place now and also solve the long time problems. Because the same people here that say we should buy someone younger with potential are the same that ask for José head if we don't win anything this year.

It's kind of strange. Are people just uninformed how football works or it's just the hate that blinds everyone and they just pick random arguments to try to have the same result.

Woodward had a meeting with Perez regarding Verane for £100m (or even Bale). He is WILLING to pay the money for top players. Let's be honest, all the names we have been linked with Willan, Maguire, Toby etc are not better than our best players in these positions.

Woodward wants to buy players who are better than players currently have, not better than our 2nd/3rd choice CBs. There is a difference.
Think about it, would Barcelona/Real Madrid/Bayern Munich buy any of the players we have been linked with?

Why try to go over the odds on players who are not world class? Fans want to buy the best players, but willing for the club to pay over the odds for non-world class players?

I would rather wait a season for 1 world class player, rather than replace average players with slightly better players.

Approaching Madrid to buy Varane is no different than approaching Barca to enquire about Messi. It doesn't show any ambition otherwise Wenger was very ambitious when he kept talking about the players he wanted to sign and didn't come.

It's just saving face that's all. Varane is impossible to be sold. He has been prepared by Madrid for ages as their upcoming defense leader. They aren't selling him when he's actually starting to get this role.

If we approached him then it's just to have an excuse later when someone asks why the club didn't spend "oh but we tried to get Varane and failed" while it's completely the opposite. The club didn't want to spend so approached impossible targets, so they come out of this as winners, didn't spend a penny and have an already made excuse for anyone questioning their ambitions.

Very Arsenal esque.

At least someone at the club is preparing for the post-Jose era. I cant stand seeing the club always looking at these expensive 29 year olds. Targeting players with a future is 100% the correct decision unless its an exceptional case like RVP

Been saying it for years. What are we now? Something in between? Where aging stars go to get one last huge contract and flop and where promising youth go to be given limited chances if lord forbid they make mistakes but in fact the real problem is our flat cagey play? We used to play for each other and outscore teams whoever was on the pitch. We used to buy the best players in the league that we could realistically get and take punts and give them a fair crack of the whip. Fergie never threw young players under the bus and always let them express themselves and they would run though walls for him. I wonder what he thinks of all this pogba shaw and martial nonsense now... we need a manager who’ll nurture players again and fans who realise that this rebuilding has been a false dawn. We need to go back to the drawing board basically.

Cannot believe some people are falling for the Glazer's PR move. It's astonishing that they prefer the leeches to get larger drinking the club's blood rather than the team getting some new players that the manager (and all the fans) think we need. Whatever damage Mourinho may do in his tenure here (and i don't believe he will), it will be a tiny slither of the damage that "the board" has done to the club. 100% behind Mourinho.

Lukaku - Sanchez - Pogba - Matic - Fred - Bailly - Lindelof...! he bought himself a midfield! what else does he want?
is he just a chequebook-Manager?! let's fire that man ASAP!
You can't not be a checkbook manager now unless you have generational talents in the pipeline, or walk into an already elite squad. We have neither in any case.

Sums up my thoughts as well,the crying out about the board rings so hollow to me given that they've bought him damn near a new XI since he's been in charge. It's up to the manager to do his job to get the best out of his signings and not constantly blame external factors when he doesn't...

The board being patient and not allowing themselves to get taken to the cleaners for only decent, near 30 players just for the sake of spending is refreshing to see. That along with the reluctance to sell some our our more promising players show's that they're planning for the future in spite of Mou's preference for thinking short term

Reactions: Theonas
Poor Mourinho for getting only 7 our of his 8 targets in the first two summers, and then moaning for not getting the eighth (Perisic) for a few months until we got a superior player (that he wanted to) in Sanchez, and made him by far the best payed player in the league. Poor poor moaning guy! Poor guy, only just above 400m pounds spent on 24 months and having the highest wage bill in the league. His biggest achievement was to play as good as Stoke City, we should count ourselves lucky cause we could have easily played like Wimbledon FC.

Sanchez case was quite clearly, he joins whoever pays more money. We payed more than City, simple as that.

You are comparing adding 7 players to a complete crap squad that had Rooney shoehorned in midfield and its 2 best players as inconsistent youngsters with no top striker or top midfield with getting a team having Fernandinho, Silva, KDB, Aguero and Sterling, top midfield and attack already present and needed enforcements only in GK and defense which the board went on and splached the cash on to make a complete team. They started at a much higher base than us, and signed far more players than us but the 2 situations are apparently completely similar! Mind blowing.

I guess you're trolling at the moment, no other explanation for it.

Would paying over the odds for an old CB win us the league? Doubt it. We'll get top 4 and maybe a cup still, so I don't see it as that big of a deal tbh.

I want to see Mourinho improve the players we got, and with so many in to the last year of their contracts they should be playing for their future at this club - don't know you can better that as a motivation. At the end of the season, let the crap ones walk freeing up wages. Our scouting network need to up their game though and have solid replacements identified.

Look at how we had to approach games tactically to achieve that. Better defenders = less defensive duties for the players in front of them.
A concept that is very hard to grasp it seems.

The defensive manager Mourinho that had the following attack record over the years:

Firstly, the matter of Mourinho's style has always seemed a curious criticism. His first Chelsea side were a swaggering force following his 2004 arrival, with the wing threats of Arjen Robben, Damien Duff and Joe Cole providing plenty of entertainment to go with the power.

In the space of nine Premier League games in that first season, Chelsea put four past six different sides as they finished with 72 goals - 14 more than Manchester United that season. They repeated that feat in retaining the title the following year.

Nobody scored more goals than Porto over his two full seasons in charge, and Mourinho's Inter were the top scorers in Serie A in each of his two years in Italy. But it's the efforts of his Real Madrid team that should really have banished such talk.

Mourinho at Madrid

Season
Real Madrid goals Barcelona goals
2010/11 102 95
2011/12 121 114
2012/13 103 115
Total
326 324
Mourinho's Real not only scored more than 100 league goals in each of his three seasons at the Bernabeu, but they even succeeded in outscoring the great Barcelona team over that period too. The 121 goals scored in the 2011/12 title-winning season is a La Liga record.

But yeah, let's talk about him always playing negative football and being a dull coach.

You can't not be a checkbook manager now unless you have generational talents in the pipeline, or walk into an already elite squad. We have neither in any case.
Unless you are Simeone, or Allegri, or Conte, or Jardim, or Zidane. Or up to this summer, Klopp.

What did they expect?

Everyone knows that Mourinho wants a team of 28/29 year old veterans who play with a chip on the shoulder and are 'warriors'

If they want a long term manager who will grow young talent and will look for 22/23 year old gems who he can grow and mould. Then Jose isn't that guy and they should move him on OR they back Jose to the hilt.

The board wouldn't have stood for anyone taking the 5 years or so it took to get those 22/23 yo gems to grow, the short term path back into the CL was the only way to go. Mourinho is one of the few people who could do it. Now? Doesn't look like they're too bothered about getting much better, or maybe they really really really like the Moyes transfer strategy (only superstars need apply).