Terribly dressed footballers

It's essentially called: feck you! I can do anything I want money.

It extends to cars/vehicles, watches and even homes.

It's essentially called: feck you! I can do anything I want money.

It extends to cars/vehicles, watches and even homes.
I think the problem is that people believe "this is sold by designer label therefore it is good"

Gucci could sell a literal piece of shit and people would pay top dollar

Lets face it money and football seems to lead to some pretty peculiar sartorial arrangements. Today I saw this photograph of Kalvin Phillips and immediately assumed he was doing dress up for a charity fundraiser; but no, apparently giant orange footbags and clown pockets are a thing????

12_JS262362324-1.jpg

I know there'll be countless other atrocities so figured we might have a thread of 'em.

Nonce attire. Those huge pockets are for putting little children in.

I think the problem is that people believe "this is sold by designer label therefore it is good"

Gucci could sell a literal piece of shit and people would pay top dollar
But these people live in a bubble, which we, in this thread, don't co-habit or even exist in. In said bubble, peers or those who such people take their lead from will be giving their yay or nays to whatever garb comes up.

Sometimes, such people dress to be as outrageous and standout as possible. You'll not see them out about trudging regular streets, but if you happen to go upmarket and enter their bubble, these aliens will be dotted around the place going about their business without a care in the world.

On a lower financial level, even companies like Adidas (check out their Jeremy Scott range from a few years back, or their concept collabs with fashion houses like gucci or Prada) have their absurd products that cost a fortune instantly sell out. Things I've never seen a soul wear in my day-to-day, but for sure, if I enter other circles I'm going to see dotted about the place.

As an aside, the posher/wealthier places I've been to around the world, the wackier the dress sense and styling has been almost without fail. Those people don't even register the world going on beneath their level of wealth and I think the disconnect is mutual.

I really don't think it's a new thing either.

But these people live in a bubble, which we, in this thread, don't co-habit or even exist in. In said bubble, peers or those who such people take their lead from will be giving their yay or nays to whatever garb comes up.

Sometimes, such people dress to be as outrageous and standout as possible. You'll not see them out about trudging regular streets, but if you happen to go upmarket and enter their bubble, these aliens will be dotted around the place going about their business without a care in the world.

On a lower financial level, even companies like Adidas (check out their Jeremy Scott range from a few years back, or their concept collabs with fashion houses like gucci or Prada) have their absurd products that cost a fortune instantly sell out. Things I've never seen a soul wear in my day-to-day, but for sure, if I enter other circles I'm going to see dotted about the place.

As an aside, the posher/wealthier places I've been to around the world, the wackier the dress sense and styling has been almost without fail. Those people don't even register the world going on beneath their level of wealth and I think the disconnect is mutual.

I really don't think it's a new thing either.

But most of these are working class kids who once knew what a twat looked like.

In my opinion, its simply Nouveau riche/conspicuous consumption and I find it really unclassy. Money talks, wealth whispers.

Yet when you look how some of the so called younger players dressed in other pictures, better safe than sorry. Why can they not be stylish rather than ridiculous.
Yeah definitely - I’d like to be in between Scholes and Tom Davies but closer to Scholes for sure

No wonder we lost those CL Finals
1438689033_175b5.jpg

VS

Eu8rZZTXUAE3Hou.jpg

Man I'm just trying to imagine the amount of dirt the bottom of Alan Smith's jeans would pick up. Guy is just walking around scraping the entire city clean with those things.

No wonder we lost those CL Finals
1438689033_175b5.jpg

VS

Eu8rZZTXUAE3Hou.jpg

Are you saying the blokes in the top photo are better dressed than those in the bottom one? Not sure if serious. I mean, the United lad’s clothes are dated but normal for the era. The other lads look fecking ridiculous. Is Neymar wearing a wine leather suit jacket? Christ. As for the denim monstrosity, second from left…

Fashion is clearly a case of the emperors new clothes. As long as its significantly different and expensive, it'll attract thick rich people who want to show off their status. I wonder if anyone ever tells them that they actually look fecking ridiculous?

In my opinion, its simply Nouveau riche/conspicuous consumption and I find it really unclassy. Money talks, wealth whispers.
:lol:

They become wealthy beyond comprehension during formative adolescent development, which, to my mind, would have most of them fairly intrinsically linked to the world that'll be their life for far longer than the 15 or 16-odd years that it was not.

By the time it's normal to turn up to training in £250k odd car, I'd say they're already well down the road to multi-millionaire whims and indulgence being perfectly normalised.

I'm not trying to justify it, but I think it's clear how it comes about as well as some of the why's and wherefores.

Your last paragraph - sans the last sentence - 'conspicuous consumption' in particular, is pretty much exactly what it is: 'feck you money' does what it wants and makes the show of doing so along the way - bustdown, obnoxious watches or blinged out <insert luxury vehicle> etc is noveau riche to a tee.

Your last sentence is precisely why so many act out: they weren't born into such wealth and have a need to show out with it and make it talk, which will most likely die down in time.

I wonder how many times people in their own circles ridicule them as opposed to those who aren't whose opinion barely even registers.

100% agree.

I don't see what is wrong with them. For someone who is similar age it was fashion at the time everywhere, my friends were wearing similar clothes and they were not footballers on lot more money. It is actually compliment how normal they were, firmly on the ground, unlike those three @WeePat posted. Different times now, social media, huge wages at very young age...
Conclusion: I guess as normal you dress better player you are. As more ridiculous you fashion sense is, that how big celebrity you are.. That is difference between us then and us now. We had players now we have celebrities, stars.

Or maybe, I am old fashioned, or have no fashion sense, or just have humongous dislike for this United.

Conclusion 2: I am just old. Just remembered it is my day today. Off to a bar, while being dressed like a macaw parrot.

A twat looks like Nigel Farage, or Trump, or Russell Brand, or John Terry too though…

These are just successful young guys of (I’m guessing) a different generation to you who are dressing how they want to.

They’re also, compared to most other people of their age, incredibly disciplined and lead quite regimented lives, so frivolous fashion is one of the ways they can ‘be young’ and ‘out there’.

There’s also this awful classist notion that people who come from working class backgrounds have to be ‘lads’, and couldn’t possibly be genuinely interested in art or fashion in a more avant garde type way - older people were up in arms about the front page story of Beckham wearing a sarong 20 years ago, this is just the next chapter of that.

Players (or anyone) should never be judged or shamed on how they choose to dress, yes I’ve done it myself (Luke Shaw’s jeans etc) but it’s fecking lowly and contributes to this awful tabloid culture.

Would I wear what Phillips is wearing? feck no, but more power to the lad for being himself.

That part was rhetorical. I doubt they're real as it was fashionable back then iirc.

And my question is what makes you think that they don't need glasses or contact lenses? It's not actually uncommon.

Man I'm just trying to imagine the amount of dirt the bottom of Alan Smith's jeans would pick up. Guy is just walking around scraping the entire city clean with those things.

To be fair, manky jean bottoms were definitely a thing. I had a few pairs where the denim had worn away completely where it would drag under my heel. Thems were the days!