Tennis 2024

The bolded part.

Nothing is dodgy. May be only the "consistent" application of the law. But we need to know what the other cases were about.
See below, if that isn't dodgy then I don't know what is. Seems pretty clear to me they intentionally kept this quiet for longer than need be.
The Trofodermin also has "DOPING" written on the box it comes in. Wether it was uninentional or not, the double standards are crazy. When others get popped, unintentional or not, it goes public immediately. Some players need to wait months for their hearing. This case? Everything was kept privately for 5 months. He even won Miami and became world #1 during this time.

People have found images of the physio with a bandage on his finger at Miami or IW(?). At the relevant time anyway.

If it was deliberate it is a whoppingly great cover story.

People have found images of the physio with a bandage on his finger at Miami or IW(?). At the relevant time anyway.

If it was deliberate it is a whoppingly great cover story.

I saw that one too :lol: I don't think Sinner was doping, but he definitely needs to surround himself with people that know better.

I agree that it's likely they weren't actually performance enhancing, but wasn't that the same for the likes of Sjarapova, Halep, ... who were punished with quite severe bans in the past? Were is the consistency in those decisions? Of course you have to go case by case and I don't remember exactly anymore how their cases went, so might've been completely different stuff, not sure.

And the whole process seems incredibly dodgy. Was reading up on it yesterday so don't know by heart anymore but apparently he was suspended right after winning Miami but already cleared before his first game in Madrid right after that, after filing an appeal? How can they come to a decision in only a few days, and why don't we know about it right up until now?

I dunno, I'd feel aggrieved if I was one of his closest opponents as well.
My understanding is that Sharapova was intentionally legally doping before, the rule changed and her team didn't update her regime. I feel less sympathy but at the same time, I'm sure legal doping is common and it's a bit of a grey area anyway. With Halep, I think it was a contamination issue but in larger doses of something she was taking so it 'may' have enhanced performance, even if she didn't know. If we take Sinner's statement at face value it is a bizarre case. His physio cut his finger and decided to use said cream on his finger for a week or so. Not long after applying it, he gives Sinner his massages which gets into his body through skin lesions.

I think there are some key differences in cases but like you say the messaging, timings and process just seems unclear. Even if everything was done correctly for Sinner, it seems that consistency has not been applied throughout and even if it has, the perception of consistency is not there either, which presents an issue in itself. If the system doesn't feel fair, there's something that can be fixed or tackled to address players, fan and media concerns.

My understanding is that Sharapova was intentionally legally doping before, the rule changed and her team didn't update her regime. I feel less sympathy but at the same time, I'm sure legal doping is common and it's a bit of a grey area anyway. With Halep, I think it was a contamination issue but in larger doses of something she was taking so it 'may' have enhanced performance, even if she didn't know. If we take Sinner's statement at face value it is a bizarre case. His physio cut his finger and decided to use said cream on his finger for a week or so. Not long after applying it, he gives Sinner his massages which gets into his body through skin lesions.

I think there are some key differences in cases but like you say the messaging, timings and process just seems unclear. Even if everything was done correctly for Sinner, it seems that consistency has not been applied throughout and even if it has, the perception of consistency is not there either, which presents an issue in itself. If the system doesn't feel fair, there's something that can be fixed or tackled to address players, fan and media concerns.

Well said that second part. I think he should not have been able to play for those 5-6 months. I believe he is "innocent". Hell, a lot of team decisions are being made without the players even knowing, but the same rules should apply to everyone. I don't know what the fix would be though. Some people say that they should handle every case like this because it's better for the player's image, but what if a player gets an actual ban and was able to play for 5-6 months and win games? I don't think that is a solution.

They should have been consistent and be straight forward about the fact that he popped. Then apply the same rules.

Yeah well said, agree with that!

Medvedev, Sinner and Carlos in the same bracket again. Djokovic also not an easy draw on paper but considering he evades them until the final is great for him.

I don't understand how Sinner as #1 has to potentially play Meddy, Carlos and Novak if he wants to win the title. Shouldn't the world #1 have the easier draw? I know it's randomized but it's a bit of a shame Carlos and Janik are always in the same side of the bracket.

Medvedev, Sinner and Carlos in the same bracket again. Djokovic also not an easy draw on paper but considering he evades them until the final is great for him.

I don't understand how Sinner as #1 has to potentially play Meddy, Carlos and Novak if he wants to win the title. Shouldn't the world #1 have the easier draw? I know it's randomized but it's a bit of a shame Carlos and Janik are always in the same side of the bracket.
Third Slam in a row now that Sinner and Carlos are in the same half. It's really frustrating because Novak will again waltz to the final given he's got another rubbish draw and there's a good chance he'll be undercooked in the final. Really wish Carlos had secured that second seed.

Third Slam in a row now that Sinner and Carlos are in the same half. It's really frustrating because Novak will again waltz to the final given he's got another rubbish draw and there's a good chance he'll be undercooked in the final. Really wish Carlos had secured that second seed.

I wouldn't say rubbish, IMO I don't even think it's going to be easy but yeah not as tough as facing either Carlos/Sinner in the semis or Meddy in the QFs. It's a shame because the other option, drawing based on seeding is problematic because players would probably play the same names A LOT, but here we are getting potential Sinner vs Carlos semis again.

I wouldn't say rubbish, IMO I don't even think it's going to be easy but yeah not as tough as facing either Carlos/Sinner in the semis or Meddy in the QFs. It's a shame because the other option, drawing based on seeding is problematic because players would probably play the same names A LOT, but here we are getting potential Sinner vs Carlos semis again.
Tiafoe or Shelton in R4 is "tricky". Rublev or Dimitrov in the quarters is an absolute joke and Zverev is by the easiest option there is for the semis. He's really going to waltz through this draw.

Someone explain to me why Nick Kyrgios who has less mental capacity than a 5 year old and should have had longer bans from the sport in his time on court is being quoted as a voice of reason by ANYONE.

Tiafoe or Shelton in R4 is "tricky". Rublev or Dimitrov in the quarters is an absolute joke and Zverev is by the easiest option there is for the semis. He's really going to waltz through this draw.

Popyrin is equally tricky for him, he's been progressing steadily. Struff is a tough one to face in R2, Djere already took Novak to 5 sets earlier. I think on hardcourt Zverev will be a big hurdle for him. I can see Novak struggle to end games quick.

About the QF, that applies to everyone but Sinner who faces Medvedev. De Minaur is a threat to nobody. Hurkacz is fresh of a very risky knee surgery and didn't look good at all in Cinci, even had to give up. Does Casper Ruud even like the sport of tennis when it's played outside of Paris?

I don't think he'll be undercooked at all if he reaches the final. His wimbledon draw was piss easy, especially given its grass. But not this one. Given the surface it might be the hardest draw he's had this year.

Someone explain to me why Nick Kyrgios who has less mental capacity than a 5 year old and should have had longer bans from the sport in his time on court is being quoted as a voice of reason by ANYONE.

I mean.. Its Twitter. :lol:

Popyrin is equally tricky for him, he's been progressing steadily. Struff is a tough one to face in R2, Djere already took Novak to 5 sets earlier. I think on hardcourt Zverev will be a big hurdle for him. I can see Novak struggle to end games quick.

About the QF, that applies to everyone but Sinner who faces Medvedev. De Minaur is a threat to nobody. Hurkacz is fresh of a very risky knee surgery and didn't look good at all in Cinci, even had to give up. Does Casper Ruud even like the sport of tennis when it's played outside of Paris?

I don't think he'll be undercooked at all if he reaches the final. His wimbledon draw was piss easy, especially given its grass. But not this one. Given the surface it might be the hardest draw he's had this year.
I hope you're right because if Novak does reach the final, we need it to be competitive and not a repeat of the Wimbledon final. I won't lie though, I feel like his half is going to be quite the snoozefest and if he's remotely motivated, like he was at the Olympics, he'll breeze through it.

I hope you're right because if Novak does reach the final, we need it to be competitive and not a repeat of the Wimbledon final. I won't lie though, I feel like his half is going to be quite the snoozefest and if he's remotely motivated, like he was at the Olympics, he'll breeze through it.

Yeah that Wimbledon final blowed. To be honest I think most of the early rounds are snoozefests in todays tennis. Carlos side even has Hurkacz and Draper as potential walkovers, which sucks.

As far as the early rounds go I really hope that Fonseca kid from Brazil qualifies, he's a joy to watch. Turned 18 yesterday and already beat multiple decent opponents thus far. Really hope he will be the next big thing, I feel like South America is due for a tennis superstar.

I've seen players play bad matches, but Holger Rune's R1 defeat is definitely up there for one of the worst I've ever seen. What's going on with that guy. There wasn't a single thing he did well.

Losing after bageling someone in the first is rough.

Ostapenko vs Osaka and Tsisipas vs Kokkanakis should be fun matches for day 2.

She won the first 9 games, so will be a very hard loss to take assuming there wasn’t an injury.

I've seen players play bad matches, but Holger Rune's R1 defeat is definitely up there for one of the worst I've ever seen. What's going on with that guy. There wasn't a single thing he did well.
Think he's coming to terms with not having been able to match the trajectory of Sinner and Alcaraz, the way he was a year ago. And handling it badly. Honestly think he could use a break to reset. Opting out of the Davis cup because he's aiming for the ATP finals is deluded. That's just not where he is at right now.

Sinner a set and break down and playing some rubbish tennis
Update: 6-2, 6-1, and this might be a bagel(3-0 and serve)

Edit: Sinner missed 2 bp on 4-0, so this ends 6-2, 6-1, 6-2

Last edited:
Think he's coming to terms with not having been able to match the trajectory of Sinner and Alcaraz, the way he was a year ago. And handling it badly. Honestly think he could use a break to reset. Opting out of the Davis cup because he's aiming for the ATP finals is deluded. That's just not where he is at right now.

He fires and hires new coaches almost every month it feels like, I think he's still not ready to face the fact he isn't what or who he thinks he is to be honest.

Update: 6-2, 6-1, and this might be a bagel(3-0 and serve)

Edit: Sinner missed 2 bp on 4-0, so this ends 6-2, 6-1, 6-2
He looked truly hopeless till he was a set and break down and then Mcdonald completely lost his game in that 1-0 game in the second set. Only one winner after that.

He fires and hires new coaches almost every month it feels like, I think he's still not ready to face the fact he isn't what or who he thinks he is to be honest.
It's a bit embarrassing to see him frequently count himself as sort of a Top 3 along with Sinner and Alcaraz. Rune is genuinely one of the most tactically inept players I've seen get rated this highly. Every time I watch him, his only intention seems to be to smash the ball as hard as possible which results in a billion errors.

Dan Evans lost fourth set, cramping and was on the verge of an exit at 0-4 in the fifth…

…. saved four break points for 0-5, now 2-4 and serving.

Game gone past 5 hour mark.

(Edit 5hr 19m, second longest game at US Open ever

Double edit… 3-4.

Triple edit 4-4. About to be longest US Open game ever. Was going to have an early night…

Ridiculous… 5-4 up and longest game ever)

One of the most amazing sets I’ve seen. 0-4, 4 break points against and cramping…. six games in a row with some ridonkolous shots. )

Last edited:
Novak really needs to serve better if he wants to have a chance in this tournament. That was abysmal.

That said, 90+ wins on every Grand Slam as of today. Insane stat, and what makes it even crazier is that getting 100 on all of them is very possible if he decides to keep going for 2-3 more years.

Carlos Alcaraz just lost in straight sets. Jesus. This is the biggest shock all year.

Carlos Alcaraz just lost in straight sets. Jesus. This is the biggest shock all year.
Wow that is a shock. Botic is good player but one of those players that tends to be a good match up for top players that doesn't pose any serious threat. I didn't watch last night, but I presume it was more Alcaraz being terrible, rather than Botic playing lights out?

Rune will take this as evidence that he's still in the 'big three' of the next gen .

Watched the last few games. Alcaraz was a mess. All the dutch rando did was basically just keep the ball in play until Alcaraz buried it under the net or went like 10 meters in foul

In 5 games the closest thing to a winner I've seen Van Whatever hit were a couple good unreturned serves

Alcaraz losing against a man who's reached two challenger finals is crazy. Sinner will extend his points lead, but the most glaring thing about this is how the level of a 4 time slam winner can drop this way.