Tennis 2024

If he stays healthy this kid can certainly break the GS record in the future. He has no competition on grass and clay at this point, he's just too good. Sinner and Meddy are a massive threat on HC but that's about it.

Brilliant match by Alcaraz.

A bit too early to talk about Grand Slam records, just because there are not much competition now doesn't mean there won't be in 5 years.

Brilliant match by Alcaraz.

A bit too early to talk about Grand Slam records, just because there are not much competition now doesn't mean there won't be in 5 years.
For sure but if he and Sinner get a kind of field which involves the equivalents of Tsitsipas, Zverev, and Medvedev and Co for the next 5-7 years, I think they could really sweep up the Slams.

For sure but if he and Sinner get a kind of field which involves the equivalents of Tsitsipas, Zverev, and Medvedev and Co for the next 5-7 years, I think they could really sweep up the Slams.
True. But if the they split (most of the) slams the next 7 years, there's still probably another 10 to go.

He's the most naturally talented player I've ever seen and it's not particularly close either. Technically and physically for sure, and given his 4 GS wins and unblemished record in 5 setters, at his age, possibly mentally as well

Just unreal
I agree he's fantastic, but I'm not sure about the most naturally talented part (especially it not being close.) Roger Federer in his 2003-2007 was performing at an other-worldly level. The area where I think Federer clearly fell behind Rafa and Novak (despite still being strong in this area) was mentality. From what we've seen of Alcaraz, he looks to be in the Rafa/Novak bracket in that regard.

Nadal is planning to enter the US Open.

My guess would be that his schedule after Bastad will be:

Olympics
Cincinnati
US Open
Laver Cup
Davis Cup

I've not been following his press conferences but I've got a feeling he's going to end up playing next year as well.

Do we think Djok will win another slam, or is this it? I err on the side of him not winning another, but I wouldn’t be overly surprised to be wrong.

Do we think Djok will win another slam, or is this it? I err on the side of him not winning another, but I wouldn’t be overly surprised to be wrong.
He’ll probably win 2-3 more given the pack after Alcaraz and Sinner is poor.

I don’t think he will win another one. He’s been very vulnerable in most his matches this season and has been quite lucky with draws and margins to give him a few deep runs. When he was finally tested in the Wimbledon final after an incredibly lenient run, he was miles off. He could win another one, in the same way that Tsitsipas or De Minaur could win a slam, but I think that’s about where he’s at with the decline clearly underway.

I think he'll get one more, though I think he'll need rely on the draw going in his favour.

Med and Zverev are the ones that can still play vs Alcaraz and Sinner. he needs them to eliminate them and then to bottle it in the final. I don't see other way personally.

obviously, they could get injured and simply miss the tournament.

Nadal makes the singles final of the Swedish Open. He's due to play a doubles semi final (partnering Ruud) in a couple of hours, though whether he will do is a different matter.

Nadal makes the singles final of the Swedish Open. He's due to play a doubles semi final (partnering Ruud) in a couple of hours, though whether he will do is a different matter.
Withdrew from the doubles, understandably.

My takeaways from Nadal for the Olympics are that he'll be physically capable of keeping up but his tennis needs to improve or he'll lose to one of the better players. Given how he played against Zverev at RG, he should be okay until he comes up against the top players.

I think him and Alcaraz could go deep in the doubles and will be contenders.

It was already known but Nadal really is an excellent doubles player.

That was really entertaining and would've sucked for Rafa to go out first round.

it's a bit weird seeing Spain only having Alcaraz in top 40. they used to have enough players to field two Davis Cup teams.

on the other hand, Italian tennis seems to be on the rise.

Djokovic Alcaraz playing for the gold. Young bull will be the favorite but can never count out the old wolf.

the main difference between Nadal and Alcaraz is the serve imo. it's rarely a weakness like in Nadal's case.

great match already.

Think Djoko will be extra motivated and get this done today. By far Carlos' biggest test so far.

Calros definitely is not as good on clay as he's on the other surfaces. Poor errors again.

Isn't he supposed to be best on clay though? Due to his lightning speed he can take advantage of the slower surface.
Logically he should be best here but I've found his level on grass and hards higher than on clay but maybe that's just me.