Tennis 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sinner is a lot lot better than Musetti but I agree, I don't see Novak losing either. Even if he goes 0-2 down.
I have my doubts about Sinner but I think he's a lot more proven and less flaky than Musetti.
Agree with you both. Musetti did impress me in that RG game, but he's just not an upcoming slam-winner, which Sinner definitely is. Sinner will make life sour for a lot of players in the coming years.

Sinner is doing great here. He was very impressive against Alcaraz too.

Of course Djokovic is still totally capable of winning the match, but he will need to improve considerably

Novak had a dream draw and is even more nailed on to get to the final but he's about to go 2 sets down. Tennis may be predictable with the Big 3 but on grass, you can always get a big server who just red lines away and causes an upset. Which is why it doesn't make sense to say Nadal was/is nailed on to reach the final especially given that he has a history of shock results on this court.
Agreed. While on paper Fritz and Kyrgios is a better route to the final than FAA and Berrettini, it's not a banker in the way that I think a Garin SF or Goffin/Norrie SF would be.

Sinner is doing great here. He was very impressive against Alcaraz too.

Of course Djokovic is still totally capable of winning the match, but he will need to improve considerably
It's because it's happened so often in the past, you just know Novak will figure a way out of this mess.
Agreed. While on paper Fritz and Kyrgios is a better route to the final than FAA and Berrettini, it's not a banker in the way that I think a Garin SF or Goffin/Norrie SF would be.
Oh for sure. Rafa got lucky by avoiding FAA and Berretini but these two are exactly the type of players who can hurt Rafa here. And like someone said earlier, Rafa isn't playing anywhere as well as he did in 18 and even 19.

Just got on the ladies QF between Maria and Neimeier. Seems like a cracking atmosphere and going down to the wire in the final set

This is just not true. Until Covid hit, Rafa was due to face Berretini in the semi, the guy who has been the best player on grass this year and unbeaten. Prior to that, he had Cilic and FAA as well. He's gotten very lucky his draw has opened up.

Berretini is a non entity against Nadal (and Djok), his only weapon is his forehand, and his backhand would collapse immediately up against Nadal's forehand. He's won an average of 3.5 games per set against Nadal in their previous matches. Cilic and FAA also, the former has only beaten Nadal once since 2009, and that was a retirement. FAA hasn't ever.

Novak had a dream draw and is even more nailed on to get to the final but he's about to go 2 sets down. Tennis may be predictable with the Big 3 but on grass, you can always get a big server who just red lines away and causes an upset. Which is why it doesn't make sense to say Nadal was/is nailed on to reach the final especially given that he has a history of shock results on this court.

I get what you're saying, but he definitely doesn't have a recent history of shocks - since 2017 it's taken Federer or Djokovic to beat him at Wimbledon. Djokovic also had a dream draw, but has the question mark over how much his season has been affected by the consequences of his Covid stance. Nadal's foot injury isn't a question mark, as he's won both grand slams already this year despite it.

Such a shame what's happening right now on centre. Must really hurt Novak that even the crowd don't like him all that much.

Am I childish? Yes, yes I am.

I always find it funny how unpopular Djokovic is, especially when the other two are very well liked

Berretini is a non entity against Nadal (and Djok), his only weapon is his forehand, and his backhand would collapse immediately up against Nadal's forehand. He's won an average of 3.5 games per set against Nadal in their previous matches. Cilic and FAA also, the former has only beaten Nadal once since 2009, and that was a retirement. FAA hasn't ever.

On other surfaces, I'd agree with you but on grass, Berretini is comfortably the second best player around currently. He's been doing very well since last year and took Novak to 4 sets in the final as well. His BH does fail vs Rafa on other surfaces but I think on grass, it's something he'd be able to protect better. Cilic probably wouldn't beat Rafa but he'd have been a huge test as a R4 opponent especially given that he'd just gotten back into form at RG as well. The guy is a confidence player and he'd have been in the mood and he does like grass.

I get what you're saying, but he definitely doesn't have a recent history of shocks - since 2017 it's taken Federer or Djokovic to beat him at Wimbledon. Djokovic also had a dream draw, but has the question mark over how much his season has been affected by the consequences of his Covid stance. Nadal's foot injury isn't a question mark, as he's won both grand slams already this year despite it.

Honestly, there's no recent history of shocks because Rafa hasn't really played here in 3 years so there's been lesser chances. He's definitely improved since those 2012-2016 years when he was supremely vulnerable to a shock result here but this is still the only surface where you'd not be completely surprised if a big serving big hitter knocked him out.

Zverev has continued playing despite all the allegations against him. I don't think Nick will be eliminated from Wimbledon at all.
The difference here is that charges were pressed against Kyrgios. Despite the opinion on Zverev, including my own, it has always been he said/she said. In this case, Kyrgios' ex went to the police and laid a charge, hence the summons.

You just know Djoko will win this. Pity the odds were pretty crap on a Djoko win even at 0-2 down.

The difference here is that charges were pressed against Kyrgios. Despite the opinion on Zverev, including my own, it has always been he said/she said. In this case, Kyrgios' ex went to the police and laid a charge, hence the summons.
Yeah but he's due in court in Australia in August, right? I don't think that can stop him from competing this week and Wimbledon have lost enough players this year without them disqualifying Nick.

I always find it funny how unpopular Djokovic is, especially when the other two are very well liked
I used to like him very much, actually. Around 2014, it felt like his demeanour changed, and all the godlike aura the people close to him reserve for him is very distasteful, along with all his antics make him a very unlikeable person these days.

Also, here comes the comeback.

Yeah but he's due in court in Australia in August, right? I don't think that can stop him from competing this week and Wimbledon have lost enough players this year without them disqualifying Nick.
Well, the other perspective would be if he lifts a Wimbledon trophy(he won't, but you get the idea), then gets convicted of Domestic Assault a month later.

I wonder how fans will respond to him tomorrow.

Bizarre how some of you big Nadal fans will argue on one hand that he's the greatest ever but on the other that he's under threat from the likes of Fritz and Kyrgios at a grand slam.

I like Nadal, although not on the same level as you some of you, and I can see that there's basically no chance of him going out before the final. Over 3 sets maybe those guys would have a chance, but 5 no way.
He is 36, not prime Nadal, you got to be a bit realistic.

Not a question of game.

Right now, does Sinner have the mentality not to crumble under the pressure of Novak coming back in.

You just know Djoko will win this. Pity the odds were pretty crap on a Djoko win even at 0-2 down.

I hope the pox loses.... but he won't. He'll win the whole thing.

On another note is tennis becoming a 2nd division sport? It seems to be less and less popular these days. Very few well known names these days

Not a question of game.

Right now, does Sinner have the mentality not to crumble under the pressure of Novak coming back in.
I would say mentally he probably should be okay but he'll need more than that and he'll have to raise his tennis to win another set.

I would say mentally he probably should be okay but he'll need more than that and he'll have to raise his tennis to win another set.
I honestly think his biggest issue will be mental with the pressure of being 2 sets up and having to close it out. A lot of players get to 0-2 and then crumble.
I hope the pox loses.... but he won't. He'll win the whole thing.

On another note is tennis becoming a 2nd division sport? It seems to be less and less popular these days. Very few well known names these days
This Wimbledon has had an abnormal number of Covid withdrawals, injuries and Russians been banned. Wait till how bad it gets once the Top 3 are gone.

On other surfaces, I'd agree with you but on grass, Berretini is comfortably the second best player around currently. He's been doing very well since last year and took Novak to 4 sets in the final as well. His BH does fail vs Rafa on other surfaces but I think on grass, it's something he'd be able to protect better. Cilic probably wouldn't beat Rafa but he'd have been a huge test as a R4 opponent especially given that he'd just gotten back into form at RG as well. The guy is a confidence player and he'd have been in the mood and he does like grass.

Honestly, there's no recent history of shocks because Rafa hasn't really played here in 3 years so there's been lesser chances. He's definitely improved since those 2012-2016 years when he was supremely vulnerable to a shock result here but this is still the only surface where you'd not be completely surprised if a big serving big hitter knocked him out.

Berretini is as unremarkable as they come, he had one good run at Wimbledon that didn't involve a single top 10 seed until Djokovic in the final. He's got less chance of beating Nadal than Kyrgios.

Not be completely surprised is a long way away from him being the underdog against anyone. Given his grand slam form this year, he's the comfortable favourite against anyone not named Novak, and even that feels like a toss up at the moment.

Your guy is the best there is at the moment, you should have more faith in him, even if it is just trying to reverse jinx.

First time I've seen Novak play more aggressive in a while. If he wins, it's the perfect catalyst for him.

He's been very passive over the past season and a half.

I am being realistic - prime or not he's comfortably the best player around at the moment, at least at grand slams, having won both available so far this year.
He really hasn't reached this level yet at Wimbeldon this year, and also having not played on grass for 3 years prior, it all hangs on if he can reach his top level by the final if he reaches the final.

He really hasn't reached this level yet at Wimbeldon this year, and also having not played on grass for 3 years prior, it all hangs on if he can reach his top level by the final if he reaches the final.

My original point was that he's nailed on to reach the final, and he doesn't need to hit top form to do that given his draw. He may not even need it for the final if Djokovic goes out.

Felt that Sinner needed to settle into this 4th set and avoid getting broken. Could all slip away quickly.

Felt that Sinner needed to settle into this 4th set and avoid getting broken. Could all slip away quickly.
Looks like it. At least this Djokovic performance makes the final more interesting.

Norrie looks like he's going to fall over whenever he hits his backhand, bizarre technique.

He's being comprehensively outgunned by Goffin at the moment.

As an aside, I hate how few one handed backhands are around in tennis nowadays. Two handers look so workmanlike, there's no flair.

Sinner really playing into Novak's hands. Go big on every shot, Novak keeps returning till you run out of ideas.

Sinner's return is incredibly poor.

Djokovic completes the comeback, absolute GOAT

Sinner played well, but at 20 he doesn't have the experience to close it out against someone like Djokovic.

Wasn't this dude like Tennis number 1 villain 6 months ago, now getting rapturous applause. Winning forgives all.

Status
Not open for further replies.