Tennis 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Yeah it’s not looking good. Let’s see what happens. If he gets deported now I doubt he’ll ever return to Australia.
We won't be removing the requirement to be vaccinated any time soon. And tbh barring ant-vaxx loons and our Australian-Serb population most of us don't want him here. There will be a great deal of anger if his appeal is successful.

Last edited:

ExoduS

I can't tell if this case is really a roller coaster or if media on purpose is releasing pro Djokovic case information vs against Djokovic case information at different times. At the beginning of this day I was already at peace that Djokovic is going home and was hoping he doesn't face harsher punishment, but at this point there is some glimpse of hope.
He should just come home and reassess his life choices. I just want to kick him in the shin and tell him to play fecking tennis and leave his personal views aside. I wonder if he should be taken on few field trips around hospitals and morgues. I refuse to believe that he is so ignorant. The guy speaks 5-6 languages fluently.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I can't tell if this case is really a roller coaster or if media on purpose is releasing pro Djokovic case information vs against Djokovic case information at different times.
That wouldn't be a surprise.

Brophs

The One and Only
Clear as mud. I suspect, based on feel more than anything, that he’ll be allowed to stay and play. Legally, it may just be too dense to unpick in the short amount of time.

But probably the main issue for him, even allowing for the various bits in the article, is that most of this stuff relates to disputes between TA/Victoria and the government, rather than being anything which strengthens Djokovic’s actual case to be allowed to remain in the country.

ZDwyr

Clear as mud. I suspect, based on feel more than anything, that he’ll be allowed to stay and play. Legally, it may just be too dense to unpick in the short amount of time.

But probably the main issue for him, even allowing for the various bits in the article, is that most of this stuff relates to disputes between TA/Victoria and the government, rather than being anything which strengthens Djokovic’s actual case to be allowed to remain in the country.

The short time issue affects Djokovic more than anyone else. If it gets held up legally he'll not be allowed to play while that's ongoing.

Every communication from the Vic Govt that I see is speaking about a previous infection being a possible quarantine exemption when entering Victoria. This is completely different from the Federal requirements for entry to the country. The wording of that second dot-point in the tweet is sightly misleading.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
The biggest reason I see him being allowed in is that Channel 9 in Australia paid big for the AO rights and are run by ex Liberal party member Peter Costello (Who also runs the 2nd biggest newspaper company after Murdoch) and they would want the biggest draw piece to be able to play and will be prepared to play political games to make it happen.

Our Federal government has zero spine and are using this as a distraction because they have fecked the nation over with Testing, Cases rising and other things and a bit of media pressure can make them change their minds.

Brophs

The One and Only
The short time issue affects Djokovic more than anyone else. If it gets held up legally he'll not be allowed to play while that's ongoing.

Every communication from the Vic Govt that I see is speaking about a previous infection being a possible quarantine exemption when entering Victoria. This is completely different from the Federal requirements for entry to the country. The wording of that second dot-point in the tweet is sightly misleading.
Sorry, what I was getting at but didn’t really explain at all was that if all of the contradictory statements and guidance, together with the various laws in question leave enough room to allow for the acceptance that he was there lawfully then I don’t think the government/Victoria/AO are going to be able to get lined up in time (or at all) to oppose it properly.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Sorry, what I was getting at but didn’t really explain at all was that if all of the contradictory statements and guidance, together with the various laws in question leave enough room to allow for the acceptance that he was there lawfully then I don’t think the government/Victoria/AO are going to be able to get lined up in time (or at all) to oppose it properly.
On the matter of fact - is recent past infection an acceptable alternative to vaccination on the quarantine-free visa path. It seems like the answer is a straightforward no.

On the matter of enforcement and due process - it looks like his lawyers have got a case. It looks quite possible that the visa rejection at the border didn't follow the correct procedure. Few official processes stand up to that kind of scrutiny.

I've no idea if the judge would then immediately re-ajudicate on the the visa withdrawal. Presumably not, which would allow the visa to stand, and it would be up to border control to restart the visa withdrawal process.

It's an awful mess. No one looks good. Looks like Djokovic got told he would be ok with an (after the deadline) positive test result because the tournament needed him commercially. There's a lack of clarity and consistency in the federal responses. Plus, applying the same rules for everyone or not, choosing not to review his visa before he landed is a pretty dumb move by the authorities given the level of publicity and public interest in the case.

If he did indeed have the misfortune to catch covid just a couple off days before the last possible date for him to complete quarantine and fly - then his conduct in wandering around in public during what should have been a quarantine period is outrageous. It's not up to Australia to punish him for that, but it certainly makes me think he's a public health hazard and that he's used to getting away with rule bending/breaking. Judges have different rules to stick to though.

Brophs

The One and Only
If he wins it and then wins the tournament, we could be treated to the spectacle of the presumptive GOAT being booed during the presentation of the trophy that put him ahead of the rest, maybe never to be caught. That’s not really what anyone should want.

Foxbatt

Doesn't the Federal government have the right to reject any entry? I thought it says that a Visa is not a guaranteed entrance to the country?

MattofManchester

In actual tennis news, Nadal takes the title.
Still looking very rusty and the Double Faults seem to still be a thing.

Onwards and Upwards though.

His AO run might be difficult on current form.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
This has been a total mess. Even the media reporting of it has been a mess. It’s frustrating.

What I would like to know is whether it is legal to obtain entry to Australia as a foreign citizen who is unvaccinated, with a recent Covid infection? Some on here are saying it isn’t. Some are saying it is? And the media is far from clear.

To my mind, all the stuff about letters and emails and communications is all by the by. It’s all good x y and z saying you can do it, but it’s all moot until you get to immigration where a formal entry approval is granted. That’s consistent with any country which offers electronic visas or anything. It looks very bad for the AUS government if it emerged individuals in senior positions and / or individuals in relevant departments said he would be fine, but in the end changes their mind. But it’s still not wrong.

On the flip side of the rules are clear he can enter under a recent infection exemption, then his distasteful and awful behaviour in Serbia sadly wouldn’t immediately be a reason not to grant him entry.

saivet

In actual tennis news, Nadal takes the title.
Still looking very rusty and the Double Faults seem to still be a thing.

Onwards and Upwards though.

His AO run might be difficult on current form.
Thought he was better today. Given the level of opposition he's played, it's difficult to say how he'll be against the better opposition. He wasn't great this week but never really looked in much danger

Provided there are no early minefields in his draw, I think there's a good chance he reaches the QF or SF.

He's still probably 4th favorite behind Djokovic, Medvedev and Zverev for me.

MattofManchester

What I would like to know is whether it is legal to obtain entry to Australia as a foreign citizen who is unvaccinated
Well, no, because the law currently states that having Covid within the last 6 months is NOT grounds for medical exemption and he is not permitted entry given he is also unvaccinated.

MattofManchester

Provided there are no early minefields in his draw, I think there's a good chance he reaches the QF or SF.
If he does get that far, he's pretty much a shoe-in for RG again, provided he stays healthy. I think the question is how far he can push his level at his age after so many injuries, which have taken a toll.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
“Sure, no one likes special favours for the rich and famous, but Djokovic was given an exemption by two medical panels – do we really think him running around Melbourne Park is some huge threat to our health? We’re already 91 per cent vaccinated – he’s not convincing anyone to avoid the jab.”

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis...nmXhXnLOB0JX1noU8mqARUn4#Echobox=1641447422-1
Conditions to enter a tennis tournament aren't the same as conditions to enter a country.

Brophs

The One and Only
The one funny thing is how people had been wondering whether the love and support he’d gotten at the US Open would last. Literally the next big tournament he’s at the centre of an international incident and people want him deported/cancelled. Why with Novak is always polemic?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
“ he’s not convincing anyone to avoid the jab.”
Plain wrong. He clearly is.

Secondly, why set a precedent that the rules of the pandemic apply to everyone, unless you are special?

Old Ma Crow

The biggest reason I see him being allowed in is that Channel 9 in Australia paid big for the AO rights and are run by ex Liberal party member Peter Costello (Who also runs the 2nd biggest newspaper company after Murdoch) and they would want the biggest draw piece to be able to play and will be prepared to play political games to make it happen.

Our Federal government has zero spine and are using this as a distraction because they have fecked the nation over with Testing, Cases rising and other things and a bit of media pressure can make them change their minds.
Is there an election in Oz this year? I hope this can be resolved quickly one way or the other. Also it’s been mentioned that ND is unvaccinated although I haven’t seen this evidenced anywhere.
From the previous posters link:

The six-time Wimbledon champion, an outspoken critic of mass vaccination, has declined to reveal his vaccination status or reason for seeking a medical exemption from Australia's vaccine rules.

The Firestarter

Is there an election in Oz this year? I hope this can be resolved quickly one way or other. Also it’s been mentioned that ND is unvaccinated although I haven’t seen this evidenced anywhere.
Dont you think if he was vaccinated he would produce the papers and move on?

Foxbatt

Why is he being treated differently? A visa never guarantees an entry into a country.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Sad part is nobody in Serbia will care.
This is a gross exaggeration, I think.
There are many in Serbia who are vaccinated and are quite critical of his Herkules complex. Also his father does everything to reduce the sympathy for Djokovic.

ExoduS

Plain wrong. He clearly is.

Secondly, why set a precedent that the rules of the pandemic apply to everyone, unless you are special?
How does he promote that people should not take a vaccine? By not getting one or did he advocate that people should not the vaccine ?

Old Ma Crow

He's a role model, like it or not, so what he says and does will have some influence and I'm sure he knows that. Him having or not having the vaccine is his choice, but if it comes down to having it to play in this competition it will be interesting to see what he does.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
How does he promote that people should not take a vaccine? By not getting one or did he advocate that people should not the vaccine ?
He’s a role model and he’s paid a fortune in sponsorship money to be just that. He’s not exactly quiet about his stance on vaccines is he? If you think the position of high profile sports stars like him doesn’t have any sort of influence on young or impressionable people you’re extremely naive.

InfiniteBoredom

Leaving his status and possible influence aside, if we take his words and actions at face value, the fact that he was out and about gallivanting one day after testing positive with no mask in a public event doesnt paint a pretty picture about how serious he takes the disease, nor the consequences of his action on other people's health. So leaving someone like that alongside his entourage loose among a population currently experiencing record number of new cases does pose a public health risk.

ExoduS

He’s a role model and he’s paid a fortune in sponsorship money to be just that. He’s not exactly quiet about his stance on vaccines is he? If you think the position of high profile sports stars like him doesn’t have any sort of influence on young or impressionable people you’re extremely naive.
That shift of of responsibility really bothers me. My opinion is that we are all responsible for choices we make. If he is a role model then young and impressionable people could also choose to train hard and commit themselves to something productive.

Picking and choosing what quality or a flaw one choices from these so called role models isn't role model's responsibility.

wr8_utd

:'(

So, even if he does win his appeal, likely they'll just file to deport again.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
So it looks like based on the latest articles is that Djokovic’s camp was arguing a valid medical exemption was recent infection. Not another underlying condition which prevents him having the vaccine. Which is obviously bullshit and should never be deemed a valid exemption. I think that’s just nonsense and it smacks even more clearly of Djokovic trying to bend rules to suit him.

saivet

So it looks like based on the latest articles is that Djokovic’s camp was arguing a valid medical exemption was recent infection. Not another underlying condition which prevents him having the vaccine. Which is obviously bullshit and should never be deemed a valid exemption. I think that’s just nonsense and it smacks even more clearly of Djokovic trying to bend rules to suit him.
I would say it's more TA bending the rules rather than Djokovic but either way it's not in the spirit of the rules for Djokovic to use that as his exemption.

Status
Not open for further replies.