Tennis 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a series of dropshots. :lol: Imagine this field with young and healthy Novak/Nadal in their prime. They would be blitzing through all the tournaments.
I think the both of them have been unlucky they've always had the other to face and ofcourse Federer as well. If either of these two had gotten this kind of field to themselves (even at this age), they'd be winning 3 Slams a year.

Nadal is still in the tournament. I am sure he has few more tricks up his sleeve.
Even if he somehow makes it through today, he's not beating Nick with this reduced service speed. Nick's been in fine nick this tournament and he'd dispatch today's version of Nadal fairly comfortably. This is not pessimism or jinxing but he's just been awful today, even if it's because of the injury effects.

Even if he somehow makes it through today, he's not beating Nick with this reduced service speed. Nick's been in fine nick this tournament and he'd dispatch today's version of Nadal fairly comfortably. This is not pessimism or jinxing but he's just been awful today, even if it's because of the injury effects.

Nick has had really easy draw thus far. Only tricky match was Tsitsipas. Taylor is better overall player than Nick in my humble opinion. One can argue that Nick's pick is higher, however when it comes to consistency, Taylor is more accomplished tennis player.

Whoever wins this match, my money is on that guy to beat Nick.

Nick has had really easy draw thus far. Only tricky match was Tsitsipas. Taylor is better overall player than Nick in my humble opinion. One can argue that Nick's pick is higher, however when it comes to consistency, Taylor is more accomplished tennis player.

Whoever wins this match, my money is on that guy to beat Nick.
I agree Fritz is the better player but on grass, Nick is a huge threat with his serve. I think he'll win in 4 and take a set or two off Novak in the final as well.

Yup, he's summoned to court on assault charges. His former girlfriend has called him out about it several times in the past on Instagram.
Not so clever.

Here’s hoping she gets some form of justice if what’s she’s saying is seen by the courts as true.

Seems to be a few cases of high profile sports stars involved in this shit over the last 2/3 years.

Nadal breaks and will serve for the set. Fritz has been way below his usual level this week. Just not doing much against a Rafa who is struggling to serve.

Seems like the injury is mostly affecting his serve speed, which is a major issue since he doesn't seem able to hold his serve, but he is breaking Fritz's serve regulary which could be considered a positive depending on if he can beat him and whether he can manage the injury in the SF vs Nick.

His serve is off,but he's nowhere near the limping wreck he looked in the second set. Guess he has some fantastic painkillers, but it always irks me abit when Djokovic or Nadal do this.

Seems like the injury is mostly affecting his serve speed, which is a major issue since he doesn't seem able to hold his serve, but he is breaking Fritz's serve regulary which could be considered a positive depending on if he can beat him and whether he can manage the injury in the SF vs Nick.
Yup its the serve which is hugely compromised. If he does make it today, Nick is a far better server than Fritz so Nadal won't get as many breaks as he's getting today. And he can't get through two more matches without a serve :lol:

His serve is off,but he's nowhere near the limping wreck he looked in the second set. Guess he has some fantastic painkillers, but it always irks me abit when Djokovic or Nadal do this.
He wasn't limping? It looked like an abs injury all the way through, no limping.

He wasn't limping? It looked like an abs injury all the way through, no limping.
He looked like collapsing and retiring at any moment. The difference is huge. I had to cook so missed most of the third set and I came back to a different guy. He is obviously in some pain, but I question the severity a bit at times.

He looked like collapsing amd retiring at any moment. The difference is huge. I had to cook so missed most of the third set and I came back to a different guy. He is obviously in some pain, but I question the severity a bit at times.
It looked at its worst around the MTO, didn't really look that bad apart from the serve any time other than that, I'm guessing the time it took for the painkillers to take effect.

It looked at its worst around the MTO, didn't really look that bad apart from the serve any time other than that, I'm guessing the time it took for the painkillers to take effect.
Yeah, I suppose he just got some serious painkillers. Maybe I'm just a cynic and think the worst of people :wenger:

Yeah, I suppose he just got some serious painkillers. Maybe I'm just a cynic and think the worst of people :wenger:
This happens all the time? Plenty of times injured players have pulled through.
Novak, Rafa, Fognini, Murray, Monfils, Nishikori, Del Potro.

Federer had knee and back injuries for years before he decided to do something about it. Still won plenty in that time, along with the 5 setter against Novak at Wimbledon.

Edit: Nevermind that if Fritz was a Top 10 player, this match would already be over, but he is playing incredibly poorly.
Not really QF material imo.

Painkillers definitely work and get you through a match and we've seen it quite often. Not sure how well it's going to work for Nadal going forward though because he needs a more permanent solution if he wins today, which will let him serve at a 100%.

Painkillers definitely work and get you through a match and we've seen it quite often. Not sure how well it's going to work for Nadal going forward though because he needs a more permanent solution if he wins today, which will let him serve at a 100%.
I hope he pulls through at least today. I dont give Fritz much of a chance against Kyrgios and Kyrgios winning a slam or even making a final would suck.

Fritz is basically a better version of the 2 Dutch dudes that did well this tournament.

I hope he pulls through at least today. I dont give Fritz much of a chance against Kyrgios and Kyrgios winning a slam or even making a final would suck.
Neither of these guys, if they play how they have today, will beat Nick so it really doesn't matter, unfortunately.

Fritz will be gutted if he loses here. If there was ever a chance to beat Rafa in a slam it's when he's not entirely fit and playing on grass.

Taylor Fritz strategy: Hit an inside out forehand from a court position that leaves most of the court wide open and choose to smash the forehand down the middle of the court for the opponent to hit into the open court.

I mean, I want Nadal to win desperately, but this guy is not very smart.

Big serves just have such a big advantage on grass with their ability to just wipe out break points in an instant.

Taylor Fritz strategy: Hit an inside out forehand from a court position that leaves most of the court wide open and choose to smash the forehand down the middle of the court for the opponent to hit into the open court.

I mean, I want Nadal to win desperately, but this guy is not very smart.
He's been awful today compared to the rest of the tournament. This match should have been wrapped up long ago.

I did not expect Nadal to overcome this after the third set.

Similar, not sure about better (yet, maybe)
Ofcourse he's better. Van Rijthoven could become a good player if he stays fit, but so far he has played only a handful of ATP games and was ranked outside of the top 200. I dont really rate Botic. He's boringly decent and whike his serve is big, it's not big enough to trouble the big guns as was demonstrated by Nadal needing only half a set to neutralize his serve entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.