Super Yacht sinks off Italian Coast

Unlike the submersible, where I’d imagine you are aware of the risk, I couldn’t imagine that they thought there was much risk in the yacht. A lesson for everyone

The difference here is that you'd think you'd be safe, sleeping just offshore in a big anchored yacht. I mean, the Titanic sub disaster was always going to be a massive risk.
Yes good points, i agree!

Well you would wouldn't you.

artworks-000477663849-kduby6-t500x500.jpg

I don't know the terminology of Italian justice system, I just know that Norwegian media called it murder because that's what we call it in Norway.
Culpable Homicide in Scotland. Learning is fun.

Italian justice is interminably slow, as in years and years slow. Of course it's not to say that anyone did or didn't do anything which was criminally negligent. I am surprised though that all the crew (bar one poor guy) escaped on the lifeboat, and so many of the passengers didn't.

I know this isn't exactly a "captain goes down with his ship" scenario, but even so, it would be fairly important to know what efforts were made to reach the passengers. Five of the six who died were found in one cabin, on the side of the ship which was facing upwards when it sank. It suggests that perhaps they were trying to stay in an air pocket.

As there were so many survivors it'll be interesting to see what's said by them, when the dust settles.

Italian justice is interminably slow, as in years and years slow. Of course it's not to say that anyone did or didn't do anything which was criminally negligent. I am surprised though that all the crew (bar one poor guy) escaped on the lifeboat, and so many of the passengers didn't.

I know this isn't exactly a "captain goes down with his ship" scenario, but even so, it would be fairly important to know what efforts were made to reach the passengers. Five of the six who died were found in one cabin, on the side of the ship which was facing upwards when it sank. It suggests that perhaps they were trying to stay in an air pocket.

As there were so many survivors it'll be interesting to see what's said by them, when the dust settles.
I saw a video of how fast the yacht sank but I'm curious too. Before it sank I'm sure there would have been signs that something is off. I'm sure that yacht has very advanced technology that can trigger warnings if they're taking on water.

I saw a video of how fast the yacht sank but I'm curious too. Before it sank I'm sure there would have been signs that something is off. I'm sure that yacht has very advanced technology that can trigger warnings if they're taking on water.
Yes, the point has been made that none of the locals were fishing that night, they knew what to expect. Surely there was someone on watch all night?

Intent could be tricky in this case. It appears to involve negligence, where the accused failed to exercise reasonable care. There are two time windows to consider. The first ends when the boat encountered trouble, and the second concludes after the boat sank. In the first window, the issue is that the boat wasn’t prepared for a storm, despite one being expected (e.g., the keel, open windows). The challenge here is that the negligence not only endangered others but also the accused, making willful blindness difficult to prove. Why would the captain risk his own life? Therefore, the real focus is likely on the second window. Why didn’t anyone get these fellas to leave their fecking suite?

Crews on private yachts are normally the last to turn in, and the first to turn to, there is every chance they were still clearing up after the owners had gone below for the night, there is also the factor that in a storm whether at sea or anchor it's best to get as low and as near midships as you can.
On a small yacht like that, self preservation takes over in a situation like this.

It appears that the crew's quarters were at the stern, the guest cabins were midship and the owner's suite was in the bows. Maybe the position had something to do with it.

In any event, surely there was a member of crew on watch - they should have got everyone out of their cabins and into lifejackets when the weather changed. I know they couldn't have predicated the freak tornado, but the vids show it was very rough before that.

The ones who got out (mostly crew) managed to launch the life raft and send up a flare.
It was reported that it sank bow first and on most yachts (not that this was "most" yachts) the exits are at the rear. The bodies were also not found in their cabins so it sounds like they drowned while trying to escape.

It was reported that it sank bow first and on most yachts (not that this was "most" yachts) the exits are at the rear. The bodies were also not found in their cabins so it sounds like they drowned while trying to escape.
This is one of the reasons why I'm deathly afraid of deep water and the ocean in general. You'll never get me to go on a cruise. If something goes bad the chance of survival is very slim out there.
Yes, the point has been made that none of the locals were fishing that night, they knew what to expect. Surely there was someone on watch all night?
The weather was terrible but I guess they needed to celebrate. Nobody knows the risks better than a local fisherman. Listen to them.

It seems the last four died due to carbon dioxide exposure as the air ran low in a pocket of air in the cabin.

No water found in their lungs, so at least they went peacefully.

https://bbc.com/news/articles/c4gv63vrjvvo
Sadly I have bad news for you there: the human body absolutely does detect CO2 intoxication and relays it as a painful feeling of suffocation, headaches, seizures, hyperventilation and other symptoms. Only very high levels of CO2 intoxication all at once render the person unconscious within seconds, a slow build up in an air pocket would obviously not achieve that. So I fear they did actually suffer in their final moments, not to mention all the time they've spent in the pocket until then.

Jesus that's horrific. They were all in the same corner trying to find the last bit of air knowing they were at the bottom of the sea. How long were they alive for down there I wonder

Would be carbon dioxide, no? Respiration uses up oxygen and expels CO2. Not sure where CO would have come from?

Sorry, I didn't mean that as a confusion. I meant that he confused CO as a peaceful way of death while CO2, the cause of dead for what you well say, is a painful death as @G3079 explained

J
Sorry, I didn't mean that as a confusion. I meant that he confused CO as a peaceful way of death while CO2, the cause of dead for what you well say, is a painful death as @G3079 explained
Ah ok, my misunderstanding, apologies!

CO poisoning instead of CO2 is not peaceful and not without symptoms either. Those just usually usually take a bit longer to settle in and tend to be milder than with CO2, usually only resulting in headaches, dizziness and in the later stage of poisoning also spasms. What it doesn't cause is the feeling of suffocation, which is what makes CO poisoning so dangerous as people don't tend to recognize that they are not just sick and need to lie down for a nap, but that the gas is killing them.

What you're thinking off is physiologically inert gases like nitrogen or argon. Those don't interact with the body in a toxic way and are supposedly leading to a painless unconsciousness and death, which is why those methods are sometimes used in slaughterhouses to knock out the animals before their actual death.

CO poisoning instead of CO2 is not peaceful and not without symptoms either. Those just usually usually take a bit longer to settle in and tend to be milder than with CO2, usually only resulting in headaches, dizziness and in the later stage of poisoning also spasms. What it doesn't cause is the feeling of suffocation, which is what makes CO poisoning so dangerous as people don't tend to recognize that they are not just sick and need to lie down for a nap, but that the gas is killing them.

What you're thinking off is physiologically inert gases like nitrogen or argon. Those don't interact with the body in a toxic way and are supposedly leading to a painless unconsciousness and death, which is why those methods are sometimes used in slaughterhouses to knock out the animals before their actual death.

Im really no expert so re correct me if im wrong but as i understand if the the CO concentration is very high and pure is somewhat very quick and painless but if it is mixed with other gasses coming from impurities like carbon stoves, car gasses and any kind of burner that causes CO mixed with others, it can be painful as you describe

Im really no expert so re correct me if im wrong but as i understand if the the CO concentration is very high and pure is somewhat very quick and painless but if it is mixed with other gasses coming from impurities like carbon stoves, car gasses and any kind of burner that causes CO mixed with others, it can be painful as you describe
If the concentration is high enough it barely matters if it is CO or CO2, you will be out in seconds and notice little that something is wrong. But that is not the scenario we are talking about here, we are talking about a relatively slow, gradual build-up in an enclosed space due to the breathing of the inhabitants.

If the concentration is high enough it barely matters if it is CO or CO2, you will be out in seconds and notice little that something is wrong. But that is not the scenario we are talking about here, we are talking about a relatively slow, gradual build-up in an enclosed space due to the breathing of the inhabitants.
(Un)funnily, that was also mooted as one of the possibilities of the deaths of the Titanic exploration submarine crew.

Request for more security of the wreckage given the potentially sensitive harddrives in the safes.

Italian Prosecutors who have opened up a criminal probe into multiple charges of manslaughter and negligent shipwreck think the 56-meter (184-foot) yacht, the Bayesian, may contain highly sensitive data tied to a number of Western intelligence services, four sources familiar with the investigation and salvage operation said.
https://www.cnn.com/2024/09/21/europe/bayesian-yacht-watertight-safes-intl/index.html