Super Yacht sinks off Italian Coast

So was this a complete freak tornado accident or should everyone with a yacht now be seriously worried?

So was this a complete freak tornado accident or should everyone with a yacht now be seriously worried?
Whatever it was was a freak incident. Anyone with a multimillion dollar sailing yacht might want to make sure not to be caught in the same kind of incident, but I think the majority of us will be just fine :cool:

It appears that the crew's quarters were at the stern, the guest cabins were midship and the owner's suite was in the bows. Maybe the position had something to do with it.

In any event, surely there was a member of crew on watch - they should have got everyone out of their cabins and into lifejackets when the weather changed. I know they couldn't have predicated the freak tornado, but the vids show it was very rough before that.

The ones who got out (mostly crew) managed to launch the life raft and send up a flare.
Lynch' and his wife woke up together when the ship was already tilted, and still didn't think much of it. Seems like no alarm was ever sounded.

https://www.scmp.com/news/world/eur...ass-escape-sinking-superyacht-bayesian-report

I don't want to rush to judge but it does seem that some pretty basic procedures weren't followed, given the storm was forecast for the area.

All local fishing vessels stayed in port rather than sailing out into a forecast storm

It seems that main hatches were left open - despite the fact the storm had started.

The central fin was not fully deployed for extra stability in rough seas.

People were apparently in locked cabins rather than in a state of readiness - awake, wearing life vests etc.

The localised severity of the storm might well have taken them by surprise, but even the most basic of preparations for a normal storm would have resulted in many more lives being saved.

I don't want to rush to judge but it does seem that some pretty basic procedures weren't followed, given the storm was forecast for the area.

All local fishing vessels stayed in port rather than sailing out into a forecast storm

It seems that main hatches were left open - despite the fact the storm had started.

The central fin was not fully deployed for extra stability in rough seas.

People were apparently in locked cabins rather than in a state of readiness - awake, wearing life vests etc.

The localised severity of the storm might well have taken them by surprise, but even the most basic of preparations for a normal storm would have resulted in many more lives being saved.

Used to watch the reality show "Below Deck", and Captain Sandy, as soon as some very mild alert of bad weather or high winds came up, she would always take the boat back to port or find a safe cove to anchor.

The guests would usually be a bit pissed because their day out at sea was kinda ruined but they are all alive.

Clearly mother nature has declared war on wealth at sea.
and sea adjacent

KRWDVIJTG5AGVEYDXPYF4JN6CI.gif

There once was a house that put to sea
The name of the house was Stilty Go Free
The waves blew up her porch dipped down
Oh blow my bully boys blow
wait.... is that an actual song or did you just do a quick, and amusing, rewrite of Sea Shanty (or whatever that song is called)?

Whatever it was was a freak incident. Anyone with a multimillion dollar sailing yacht might want to make sure not to be caught in the same kind of incident, but I think the majority of us will be just fine :cool:

It wasn't even his yacht, he was renting it for the night apparently.

It wasn't even his yacht, he was renting it for the night apparently.
Alright, be careful should you rent a multi million dollar sailing yacht for the night fellow caf members. (I think he possibly rented it from his own shell company?)

The other victims fair enough, but there's nothing wrong with being gleeful about the death of a billionaire in my opinion
You can start your own company instead of working for others just food for though. Maybe the gleeful sentiments will change when you are on the other side ?

Some shocking posts in this thread.

If he sold the company to HP why is some agency taking him out to get control of the software?

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall in the secret CIA assassination meeting when they cooked this one up. They have decided that they definitely want to kill Lynch, but of all the possible methods available to them, the option that the assassins pick is the absolutely foolproof Italian sea tornado method.

You can start your own company instead of working for others just food for though. Maybe the gleeful sentiments will change when you are on the other side ?

Some shocking posts in this thread.
Why are you conflating “billionaires” with “employers”?

They've now found the daughter's body, so all are accounted for.
Given that she hasn't inherited yet I guess the caf is alright with me saying rest in peace.

First summer as an adult, poor girl.

At least with the depth it is at and the other clientele interested in this case we are pretty much certain to find out exactly how it happened.

Billionaires are employers. The scale is different.

Right but while all billionaires are employers, not all employers are billionaires. Ergo it’s daft to say that because you are opposed to the concept of extreme wealth, logically you are therefore against the idea of being an employee.

My employer is B-Corp certified and I support how they operate. Yvon Chouinard knows the score, nobody needs to be that wealthy so he gave it away to a non-profit.

What do you make of this????

Just like most conspiracy theories it doesn't stand up to much scrutiny. If the people had followed the most basic seafaring principles with the threat of a nearby storm they would have easily been able to be rescued.

Just like the Diana conspiracy falls down when you just point out that the only person wearing a seatbelt in the car survived the crash.

Right but while all billionaires are employers, not all employers are billionaires. Ergo it’s daft to say that because you are opposed to the concept of extreme wealth, logically you are therefore against the idea of being an employee.

My employer is B-Corp certified and I support how they operate. Yvon Chouinard knows the score, nobody needs to be that wealthy so he gave it away to a non-profit.
My point is just because someone is a billionaire doesn't mean we should be happy when he dies. How he distributes his wealth is a personal choice. Unless that wealth is accumulated by doing something against the law the employees have the option to find another job or leave the company if they see their compensation being low compared to the input they put in. When you sign on the dotted line you know what you should expect and not expect someone to give them something extra because the company does well.

We all have seen large companies gone to dust because of bad management, greedy owners, you name it. The market usually corrects itself which is why I'm all for capitalism, compared to other options.

When a company goes down under the state won't back you up, whilst getting unemployed you are on benefits, with the money coming from some of those multi billion companies.

Just like most conspiracy theories it doesn't stand up to much scrutiny. If the people had followed the most basic seafaring principles with the threat of a nearby storm they would have easily been able to be rescued.

Just like the Diana conspiracy falls down when you just point out that the only person wearing a seatbelt in the car survived the crash.
I agree. It is a weird coincidence though that both partners died within a week of each other

Yeah, but similar to that kid who lost his life with his dad in that submarine to the Titanic.

Seems having a billionaire dad is a life risk in strange ways.
Unlike the submersible, where I’d imagine you are aware of the risk, I couldn’t imagine that they thought there was much risk in the yacht. A lesson for everyone

Yeah, but similar to that kid who lost his life with his dad in that submarine to the Titanic.

Seems having a billionaire dad is a life risk in strange ways.
The difference here is that you'd think you'd be safe, sleeping just offshore in a big anchored yacht. I mean, the Titanic sub disaster was always going to be a massive risk.

The Italians use some term akin to involuntary murder for what English calls manslaughter.

I thought manslaughter?
Yes, it is manslaughter, the working theory seems to be the ship had not been shut down properly for the night, i.e the "hatches had not been batterned-down" and/or the keel not positioned as required in such a mooring.
If this is found to be the case, then it's likely the Ship's captain and senior crew may faces manslaughter charges.