Super Yacht sinks off Italian Coast

I'm not happy someone's dead, I just don't see why a boating accident needs its own thread.

The accident itself is fairly interesting in terms of it being a sailboat, albeit massive. Someone badly fecked up, somewhere. Which makes it interesting no matter who was onboard

It'd be nice if the profits are shared with employees, I agree with that sentiment.

But it goes both ways. When a company goes down, workers aren't held responsible for remaining debt and financial losses.

Neither is the head man. The company is responsible for the debt. They're free to fold the company and set up a new one tomorrow.

I don’t know the specifics of this sale but in most cases when a tech startup is sold for big bucks the “workers” all make out like bandits thanks to stock options and the like.

So a person who first created jobs for all these people, then made them even more money when the company he founded gets sold, is a super villain whose grave we should all be dancing on? Seems a little harsh.

It depends if they were ever given any shares or the option to buy any. I know of a guy who's start up was bought out by a massive company. He'd had a bunch of mates working for him too. He was very stingy with giving out shares and most of the lads got sweet FA.

It depends if they were ever given any shares or the option to buy any. I know of a guy who's start up was bought out by a massive company. He'd had a bunch of mates working for him too. He was very stingy with giving out shares and most of the lads got sweet FA.

I did say “most”. Whatever, they go into it with their eyes open. If they choose to work for a startup then they either do so for a competitive salary, right out the gate, or the possibility of deferred wealth due to options etc

At the end of the day someone has been willing to put their head above the parapet to start a new company and create jobs/money for those people that wouldn’t have existed otherwise. If that bloke then sells the company for personal gain that’s his perogative. There’s nothing to stop any of his employees going on to do the same thing. If anything the experience they picked up working for him gives them a head start on where he was when he was in the same boat (no pun intended)

Starting a new company from scratch is incredibly stressful and very hard graft (for people whose fathers don’t own an emerald mine anyway) I don’t see how that means they’re suddenly villains if they sell that company for big money.

Neither is the head man. The company is responsible for the debt. They're free to fold the company and set up a new one tomorrow.
Not true where I live. There are different forms of private ownership, some that have personal liability.

Where I live there are different forms of private ownership which have specific liabilities, tax rules and other things. Some forms of ownership have no personal liability as in the shareholders don't get held responsible but the company does. With other forms, the shareholders are indeed held personally responsible for debt and losses.

My point being, it's very easy to ask for employees to share in the profits of a company sale but then never demand for them to be held responsible for the negative side too.
I understand that point. My opinion is that it has to be a medium point where the risk is rewarded but the differences shouldnt be that staggering a x4 to x10 times minimum vs maximum salary/benefit as in the end, in a job there is innovation at every level and we all work similar hours a day. Long story short, the concept of billionaire should not exist

The accident itself is fairly interesting in terms of it being a sailboat, albeit massive. Someone badly fecked up, somewhere. Which makes it interesting no matter who was onboard
Seems utterly bizarre that such a big yacht was sunk by a weather event so close to shore, as opposed to mid Atlantic in a huge winter storm for example. My hot take is that maybe the mast wasn't only huge but also hugely out of proportion even for the size of the yacht. Even assuming this is true and the storm/waterspout knocked the yacht onto it's side, as has been suggested, a yacht shouldn't sink so damn fast.

Most of the staff at his company were highly paid IT geniuses. People are talking about the 'workers' as if they were Victorian coalminers.

A load of staff became millionaires from the sale and even more got tens of thousands from the employee share scheme. I guess the workers became evil that day too.

Workers wake up millionaires after takeover of Autonomy​

https://www.thetimes.com/article/workers-wake-up-millionaires-after-takeover-of-autonomy-cgz79g0xjl5

As an aside, loads of evil hedge funds had been shorting the stock and got battered by the news, so that might placate some.

Seems utterly bizarre that such a big yacht was sunk by a weather event so close to shore, as opposed to mid Atlantic in a huge winter storm for example. My hot take is that maybe the mast wasn't only huge but also hugely out of proportion even for the size of the yacht. Even assuming this is true and the storm/waterspout knocked the yacht onto it's side, as has been suggested, a yacht shouldn't sink so damn fast.
It's very strange for a 56m Yacht to go like that. Saw a video that said it had a raiseable centreboard that might have contributed by raising the center of gravity aggravating any rolling motion.

A vanity boat not built for any sort of weather. Probably fell apart like a garden shed when the wind picked up.

The most popular way modern sailboats like to sink themselves is for their keel to fall off, so until we have confirmation that hasn't happened I'll assume it has. If it were even slightly loose, the kind of water turbulence the boat would have experienced could easily have ripped it apart.

Woke up this morning with blurry eyes and I read this thread as "Super yanks stink of Italians".

Also correct me if I'm wrong but there have been so many (more than usual) big accidents at sea. The titanic submarine dive, the one where a ship crashed into a bridge, and now this one.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but there have been so many (more than usual) big accidents at sea. The titanic submarine dive, the one where a ship crashed into a bridge, and now this one.
I imagine a lot more happen, but we only really hear about the ones that include particularly rich/important people. As unintentionally callous as that sounds.

I imagine a lot more happen, but we only really hear about the ones that include particularly rich/important people. As unintentionally callous as that sounds.

Yes lots happen I work for an insurer that insures cargo ships and pleasecraft

Hope we don’t insure this one :lol:

Yeah some random pirates getting eaten by sharks is quite common I reckon

Yes lots happen I work for an insurer that insures cargo ships and pleasecraft

Hope we don’t insure this one :lol:

Oh wow. Imagine if you were handling that cargo ship that crashed into that bridge in America. Where would you even start with that one?

A vanity boat not built for any sort of weather. Probably fell apart like a garden shed when the wind picked up.

The most popular way modern sailboats like to sink themselves is for their keel to fall off, so until we have confirmation that hasn't happened I'll assume it has. If it were even slightly loose, the kind of water turbulence the boat would have experienced could easily have ripped it apart.
It didn't fall apart, it's evidently intact which is why the divers are having problems finding the missing people. The boat is full of furniture floating around inside so they can't see anything, plus it's lying at a 90-degree angle.

There's some speculation that the height of the enormous mast played a part.

Oh wow. Imagine if you were handling that cargo ship that crashed into that bridge in America. Where would you even start with that one?

First you cry.

No huge risks like that don’t get carried by 1 insurer, you might have 20 insurers carrying 5% each of the risk, then each of those will reinsure out part of their risk to reduce the risk further, you still get some huge payouts but it gets spread around the market otherwise you’d see an insurer taken out by a single accident.

Sounds like it has a centreboard, rather than a keel. So didn’t right itself when the wind flattened it. Can’t quite work out why a yacht that big wouldn’t have a keel though. Seems a weird choice.

Sounds like it has a centreboard, rather than a keel. So didn’t right itself when the wind flattened it. Can’t quite work out why a yacht that big wouldn’t have a keel though. Seems a weird choice.

With the centerboard raised it had a draft of 5m, with it lowered 10m.

First you cry.

No huge risks like that don’t get carried by 1 insurer, you might have 20 insurers carrying 5% each of the risk, then each of those will reinsure out part of their risk to reduce the risk further, you still get some huge payouts but it gets spread around the market otherwise you’d see an insurer taken out by a single accident.
oh the paperwork...

10m draft is massive! No wonder they need to be able to raise it. To be fair, I’m sure they wouldn’t have expected to be caught in a massive gust of wind while on a mooring.
To be fair laying off the coast of Sicily in August would probably be among the most benign environments thinkable for such a yacht.

You have no idea :lol:

Thankfully the mess that is the insurance market means I get to go on holidays each year so I won’t complain too much

I would certainly be booking some very short notice annual leave off when a cargo ship takes a major commuter bridge down

240819-Bayesan-al-0912-557db9.jpg

What's the reasoning behind a mast of that size on a boat that small?

It'd be nice if the profits are shared with employees, I agree with that sentiment.

But it goes both ways. When a company goes down, workers aren't held responsible for remaining debt and financial losses.
Neither are the shareholders.

All bodies recovered except for the 18 year old daughter. 15 survivors, 9 crew members. Interesting that all of the crew survived except for the cook, who was the first body to be discovered. Apparently the rich people were sleeping during the storm.

All bodies recovered except for the 18 year old daughter. 15 survivors, 9 crew members. Interesting that all of the crew survived except for the cook, who was the first body to be discovered. Apparently the rich people were sleeping during the storm.
It appears that the crew's quarters were at the stern, the guest cabins were midship and the owner's suite was in the bows. Maybe the position had something to do with it.

In any event, surely there was a member of crew on watch - they should have got everyone out of their cabins and into lifejackets when the weather changed. I know they couldn't have predicated the freak tornado, but the vids show it was very rough before that.

The ones who got out (mostly crew) managed to launch the life raft and send up a flare.