Super Yacht sinks off Italian Coast

ultimately, they're all strangers, so people will naturally veer to flippancy, especially if there's a billionaire involved. obviously it's sad for those that died and their family and friends, but it would be weirder to get worked up about strangers dying just because it's deemed to be moderately newsworthy, when there's literally people dying every second of the day.
I'm not telling anyone to get worked up over and mourn the deaths of unknown strangers. I'm not going to pretend that I feel much over that either. But have some basic bloody standards and at least not be gleeful about their deaths.

I'm not telling anyone to get worked up over and mourn the deaths of unknown strangers. I'm not going to pretend that I feel much over that either. But have some basic bloody standards and at least not be gleeful about their deaths.
The other victims fair enough, but there's nothing wrong with being gleeful about the death of a billionaire in my opinion

The other victims fair enough, but there's nothing wrong with being gleeful about the death of a billionaire in my opinion
Billionaires are fair game, agreed.

According to wiki Mike Lynch's mum was a nurse and his dad was a firefighter. He was born in Ireland and educated in England (won a scholarship). He did a PhD in Machine Learning at Cambridge and set up his first company while studying, "financed with a £2,000 loan negotiated in a bar", which produced designs and audio products for the music industry, including electronic synthesizers and a sampler for the Atari ST. He set up a few more small tech companies before one of these hit the big time and was sold to Hewlett-Packard for £8.6bn. At what point on this timeline does his death become something to be celebrated?

According to wiki Mike Lynch's mum was a nurse and his dad was a firefighter. He was born in Ireland and educated in England (won a scholarship). He did a PhD in Machine Learning at Cambridge and set up his first company while studying, "financed with a £2,000 loan negotiated in a bar", which produced designs and audio products for the music industry, including electronic synthesizers and a sampler for the Atari ST. He set up a few more small tech companies before one of these hit the big time and was sold to Hewlett-Packard, earning him 500 million quid. At what point on this timeline does his death become something to be celebrated?
Welcome to RedCafe.

According to wiki Mike Lynch's mum was a nurse and his dad was a firefighter. He was born in Ireland and educated in England (won a scholarship). He did a PhD in Machine Learning at Cambridge and set up his first company while studying, "financed with a £2,000 loan negotiated in a bar", which produced designs and audio products for the music industry, including electronic synthesizers and a sampler for the Atari ST. He set up a few more small tech companies before one of these hit the big time and was sold to Hewlett-Packard for £8.6bn. At what point on this timeline does his death become something to be celebrated?
Typical British behaviour to envy those who have done well for themselves and try to knock them down. Hardly a caf trait only.

RIP.

A close family member of mine who worked for Lynch said he was always dodgy as feck.

The part between the sale of his company and his death on a super yacht worth millions, I'd say

Typical British behaviour to envy those who have done well for themselves and try to knock them down. Hardly a caf trait only.

RIP.
I don't envy him at all, I quite enjoy being alive

The part between the sale of his company and his death on a super yacht worth millions, I'd say

Could you be more precise? As soon as the ink is dry on the sale of the company he founded? Maybe after the first fancy holiday he took his family on with the proceeds? It's interesting to try and work out the exact point at which "hard working very smart guy who creates a company that employs lots of people" suddenly becomes "evil monster whose death we celebrate". I've no issue with hating on capitalism and neoliberalism (and I personally have huge issues with any one individual being allowed by the state to accumulate wealth that is measured in billions) but this idea that everyone who's done well out of that system must die just seems a bit... I dunno... childish?

Could you be more precise? As soon as the ink is dry on the sale of the company he founded? Maybe after the first fancy holiday he took his family on with the proceeds? It's interesting to try and work out the exact point at which "hard working very smart guy who creates a company that employs lots of people" suddenly becomes "evil monster whose death we celebrate". I've no issue with hating on capitalism and neoliberalism (and I personally have huge issues with any one individual being allowed by the state to accumulate wealth that is measured in billions) but this idea that everyone who's done well out of that system must die just seems a bit... I dunno... childish?
Ok, if you want more precision then the point when he sells the company and pockets billions whilst his workers, who also helped build the company, presumably receive feck all. That's the point when it becomes ok to celebrate any misfortune that falls his way, for me personally.

Ok, if you want more precision then the point when he sells the company and pockets billions whilst his workers, who also helped build the company, presumably receive feck all. That's the point when it becomes ok to celebrate any misfortune that falls his way, for me personally.
It'd be nice if the profits are shared with employees, I agree with that sentiment.

But it goes both ways. When a company goes down, workers aren't held responsible for remaining debt and financial losses.

It'd be nice if the profits are shared with employees, I agree with that sentiment.

But it goes both ways. When a company goes down, workers aren't held responsible for remaining debt and financial losses.
To be fair, it isn't a slam dunk that the owner is either.

I don’t know the specifics of this sale but in most cases when a tech startup is sold for big bucks the “workers” all make out like bandits thanks to stock options and the like.

So a person who first created jobs for all these people, then made them even more money when the company he founded gets sold, is a super villain whose grave we should all be dancing on? Seems a little harsh.

I hope there's some cctv footage saved from onboard the yacht (I assume they will raise it). Going from sailing in the med to sinking just off the coast in a waterspout is nightmarish, 55m no less. Whatever caused it must have been massive.

I don’t know the specifics of this sale but in most cases when a tech startup is sold for big bucks the “workers” all make out like bandits thanks to stock options and the like.

So a person who first created jobs for all these people, then made them even more money when the company he founded gets sold, is a super villain whose grave we should all be dancing on? Seems a little harsh.
Sure, in your hypothetical this guy's a hero but I'd say it's good odds that for every one billionaire that's helped others, there's a dozen shitty ones. It's easier to err on the side of caution and dance on all their graves

I’m old and tired. This is like Jake Paul beating up Mike Tyson. No prize belt for the winner. Just clicks and likes.
What are the similarities between you and Mike Tyson?

It’s borne out of this misguided and ultimately stupid notion, that most wealth is somehow taken or stolen from others.

Last edited:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/ce38n4egqwzt

Mike Lynch named as one of the missing. A potentially tragic end to a rather spectacular career for one of our biggest tech entrepreneurs.

edit - just saw this quote in the beeb article:
In an interview with the BBC earlier this month, Lynch said "the reason I'm sitting here, let's be honest, is not only because I was innocent... but because I had enough money not to be swept away by a process that's set up to sweep you away".

irony of him being swept away at sea.

Be more ironic if he was lynched in all honesty.

What are the similarities between you and Mike Tyson?
They're both in the conversation for GOATs of their respective disciplines (boxing/posting on redcafe)

I dont know how is in the UK, but my understanding is that in most of the western economies the owner doesnt either and they feck other companies along the way when they plead bankrupcy while they enjoy their personal assets hoarded along the years even during the years of losses and leaving the workers stranded

Or the many many founders who go without a salary in the early years and are working 80-100 hour weeks while the non-equity employees are getting paid and working normal 9-5 jobs. And that the vast majority of these startups never account to anything and come at the cost of relationships and social life.

Profit sharing is almost always synonymous with how much risk you are taking or willing to take. But it is the caf.

I dont know how is in the UK, but my understanding is that in most of the western economies the owner doesnt either and they feck other companies along the way when they plead bankrupcy while they enjoy their personal assets hoarded along the years even during the years of losses and leaving the workers stranded
Where I live there are different forms of private ownership which have specific liabilities, tax rules and other things. Some forms of ownership have no personal liability as in the shareholders don't get held responsible but the company does. With other forms, the shareholders are indeed held personally responsible for debt and losses.

My point being, it's very easy to ask for employees to share in the profits of a company sale but then never demand for them to be held responsible for the negative side too.

Anywho, I'm not saying yay or nay to whether it's right or wrong to take the piss out of dead billionaires.

What I will say however, you don't become a billionaire without being an Uber cnut making some morally corrupt decisions along the way.

What I will say however, you don't become a billionaire without being an Uber cnut making some morally corrupt decisions along the way.
Unless you are King Charles III.

God save the King.

Anywho, I'm not saying yay or nay to whether it's right or wrong to take the piss out of dead billionaires.

What I will say however, you don't become a billionaire without being an Uber cnut making some morally corrupt decisions along the way

I doubt it's the amount of wealth, or lack of wealth for that matter, that makes it right or wrong to take the piss out of dead people.