Super Yacht sinks off Italian Coast

Superden

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/ce38n4egqwzt

Mike Lynch named as one of the missing. A potentially tragic end to a rather spectacular career for one of our biggest tech entrepreneurs.

edit - just saw this quote in the beeb article:
In an interview with the BBC earlier this month, Lynch said "the reason I'm sitting here, let's be honest, is not only because I was innocent... but because I had enough money not to be swept away by a process that's set up to sweep you away".

irony of him being swept away at sea.

Oh saw the superyacht headline but didn't realise he was involved. One set of choppy waters he couldn't escape from.

Heard earlier it was an Irish person missing and a super yacht. My initial reaction was maybe Conor McGregor.

Oh well

Camper & Nicholsons, managers of the Bayesian, confirmed to the BBC that the yacht sank after "severe weather"
I was about to say that the weather seems to have been pretty mild in Palermo last night, mild winds, little rain if any, insignificant waves, but then I saw a few reports that claim that the yacht got hit by a tornado? That's one freak accident then.

Thought it was an RMT super yacht at first.

But then theirs would be manned properly. Overly safe, if anything.

He was on the yacht celebrating being found not guilty in a huge fraud case in the US. Him and a bunch of his lawyers were on the yacht. Stephen Chamberlain, the co-accused in that same trial also died last weekend after being hit by a car.

Sounds interesting.

Last edited:
He was on the yacht celebrating being found not guilty in a huge fraud case in the US. Him and a bunch of his lawyers were on the yacht. Stephen Chamberlain, the co-accused in that same trial also died last weekend after being hit by a car.

Sounds interesting.

Sounds like an organised hit. All the assassin had to do was run one bloke over with a car and then summon an Italian sea tornado to finish off the other guy on his yacht (while also hoping he wasn't among the 15/22 people aboard who made it to the life raft). Simple. The only concern for the assassin now is that this looks so much like a murder that people will suspect.

Sounds interesting.
The beeb said Chamberlain died the same day. Which would be even crazier.

Sounds like an organised hit. All the assassin had to do was run one bloke over with a car and then summon an Italian sea tornado to finish off the other guy on his yacht (while also hoping he wasn't among the 15/22 people aboard who made it to the life raft). Simple. The only concern for the assassin now is that this looks so much like a murder that people will suspect.

Wouldn't be the first time.

I was just scrolling through the news stories that popped up on my phone, read about this one and this Mike Lynch being among the missing. It said he'd just beaten a big fraud trial in the US.

Scroll through a few more stories, see anther article which says Mike Lynch's co-defendant on the fraud trial has been killed in a hit and run...

Conspiracy theorists will love this one.

What is a superyacht? a yacht is basically a super boat, so it's just a super super boat.

Sounds interesting.
There are no accidents.

What did this guy do that deserved death?

There is no billionaire who has not exploited the labor of those beneath them. You don't get to that point without trampling on the common man.

His daughter is also among the missing, she's only 18. May they all rest in peace.
^ This. Really weirds me out how gleefully and jokingly some people comment on this when there were more people onboard. I personally won't ever shed a tear for dead billionaires either, but employees and other third parties? Children? That's a different story.

No specifics for this particular guy though, just that he's a billionaire?

Yep that's all I need personally. The rest of the thread says that he was apparently found innocent in a huge fraud case recently. I don't know the specifics of that so feel free to look that up if you would like. I don't need any more.

^ This. Really weirds me out how gleefully and jokingly some people comment on this when there were more people onboard. I personally won't ever shed a tear for dead billionaires either, but employees and other third parties? Children? That's a different story.

The only person confirmed dead so far is a cook who worked in the kitchen of the yacht.

The only person confirmed dead so far is a cook who worked in the kitchen of the yacht.
Do you think the rest of the missing are sitting in a bar somewhere and having a drink while giggling that people are searching for them? Those who still haven't been found hours later are dead with almost perfect certainty.
What's your point anyway? Is it funny that the cook died?

Is a bit wild that both co-defendants died on the same day in accidents. Though the boat one sounds more of a natural event.

ultimately, they're all strangers, so people will naturally veer to flippancy, especially if there's a billionaire involved. obviously it's sad for those that died and their family and friends, but it would be weirder to get worked up about strangers dying just because it's deemed to be moderately newsworthy, when there's literally people dying every second of the day.

Do you think the rest of the missing are sitting in a bar somewhere and having a drink while giggling that people are searching for them? Those who still haven't been found hours later are dead with almost perfect certainty.
What's your point anyway? Is it funny that the cook died?

My point is that anyone who finds this funny is finding the death of a ship's cook funny. As that's the only person confirmed dead so far.

Although, to be fair, there haven't been many (any?) posts in this thread laughing at what's happened. I'm sure it's a different story on Twitter.