Film Suicide Squad (2016)

Why does not one like Jai Courtney? I've never heard of him.

Why does not one like Jai Courtney? I've never heard of him.

He's the blandest man on the planet and that makes it difficult to watch him on screen. A charisma black hole.

It also doesn't help that he's been cast as important characters in dire sequel/reboots to beloved franchises. Things like that tend to make people hate you.

And some fans probably grew up with Jack Nicholson as Joker and probably saw the trailer with Heath and said "thats not the joker voice" etc.

To say a comic book character doesnt have the right voice is a bizarre criticism tbf.

Probably!? There was a huge, whaling epi-fit from world and their mum as soon as he was cast. So much so that he's basically now the short hand for "fan community over reacting to cosmetic changes and getting it bang wrong"...

And fwiw, Leto's Joker looks pretty good as well. Silly tats and all.

Feck all the Jai Courtney hate. I thought the guy was great in Spartacus.

Agreed, I thought he was good as Varro. I just cant really remember him in other stuff that stands out.

Probably!? There was a huge, whaling epi-fit from world and their mum as soon as he was cast. So much so that he's basically now the short hand for "fan community over reacting to cosmetic changes and getting it bang wrong"...

And fwiw, Leto's Joker looks pretty good as well. Silly tats and all.

The probably was regarding seeing Joker as Jack rather than the reaction from those who saw him and then Heath was cast.

Feck all the Jai Courtney hate. I thought the guy was great in Spartacus.

I thought he was awful in A Good Day to Die Hard (which was already bad), and I honestly can't remember him in any of the other films I've seen that he's been in. He's massively bland, like sullydni said.

Been a while since I saw them, but I seem remember them being terrible Training Day wannabe's... which I guess makes sense since Ayer wrote Training Day.

Still, he finally got the formula right with End of Watch, so I guess it was worth it.
Harsh Times was actually better than Training Day.

Harsh Times was actually better than Training Day.

Tbf it looked like he was building a career on remaking the same movie (and not a bad one at that) over and over again until he did Fury.

He's shown himself to be a more than competent director of action though so this has at least got that going for it.

Fury and End of Watch were great at making you feel for the characters.

The Heath Ledger backlash thing is pretty overblown, it came at a time when a lot didn't realize how big of crybabies the comic nerd really was, who were the big majority in slating him on casting instead of knowing he had ability, and Nolan could direct, so wait it out before moaning. SHH has never been the same.

I didn't mind Jai Courtney in Jack Reacher. In everything else I've seen though he's pretty bland, which made this trailer all the more surprising.

I've only just realised Jai played Varro because of this thread and now he's my favourite person in this film.

Jai Courtney was alright in Divergent and Insurgent. A convincing asshole.

I think DC have done great with their casting. Better then Marvel in that department for me.

But we haven't even seen the DC films yet, the cast might be terrible. With Marvel even if you don't like the story they have got it spot on in the casting department.

But we haven't even seen the DC films yet, the cast might be terrible. With Marvel even if you don't like the story they have got it spot on in the casting department.

Pretty much. Except I really wish Ed Norton had stuck around, I liked his Banner a lot more than the current one.

Jared Leto as Joker, Ezra Miller as Flash, Ben Affleck as Batman. These guys seem perfect for their roles and are better actors then the mainstays in Marvels films.

Ezra Miller is a great actor so I'm confident that he'll do great, but I don't know about him being "perfect" for the role. He's not at all like how I imagine Barry Allen in my head. Then again neither is the guy on the tv show, and he's doing decent now.

tumblr_o18e1jW9Sj1uiiv2do2_500.gif

tumblr_o18jr7D8XM1uorz8zo1_500.gif

tumblr_o18jr7D8XM1uorz8zo3_500.gif

tumblr_o18o6eE2Us1rxpq74o2_500.gif

tumblr_o18o6eE2Us1rxpq74o5_500.gif

tumblr_o18efmty001qzucdqo2_500.gif

tumblr_o18h8gDuwy1ry8rcwo2_540.gif

tumblr_o18gihUhnT1tm6it7o5_500.gif

GIF_suicide_squad_scott_eastwood.gif

tumblr_o18gihUhnT1tm6it7o8_500.gif

GIF_suicide_squad_captain_boomerang.gif

tumblr_o18gihUhnT1tm6it7o2_500.gif

Jared Leto as Joker, Ezra Miller as Flash, Ben Affleck as Batman. These guys seem perfect for their roles and are better actors then the mainstays in Marvels films.
But we haven't seen these guys in the role yet to judge. Marvel On the other hand, nailed it with Robert Downey, Chris Evans, Chris Pratt, Tom Hiddlestone etc

But we haven't seen these guys in the role yet to judge. Marvel On the other hand, nailed it with Robert Downey, Chris Evans, Chris Pratt, Tom Hiddlestone etc
Meh. They were good. Like I said, I prefer DC's lineup. We can't compare at all till they show the movies though.

Anyway, what's this based on? Or is it an original story?

Yet modern Marvels have consistency in their tv shows and films and have the same actors play the same roles. It works far better than constantly switching it around. This is probably why I don't like DC much, it's way too random.

Which is a shame fwiw because I grew up loving DC.

Yet modern Marvels have consistency in their tv shows and films and have the same actors play the same roles. It works far better than constantly switching it around. This is probably why I don't like DC much, it's way too random.

Which is a shame fwiw because I grew up loving DC.

I'm actually relieved that DC are separating their films from their tv. The people in the CW universe can explore their plot ideas freely without worrying about future movies, and there will be a lot less retconning and continuity issues this way.

Marvel have done a lot of things right including casting. The only thing I dont like about Marvel is the comedic villains they have which arent menacing or threatening.

DC, whilst the names look good from what little weve seen, still have to deliver and then they can be judged.

Terrible, thats now how Harley should be blowing her hair at all. Ruined for me now :(

Only kidding, what a hottie.

Marvel have been terrible with their villains for the most part. One dimensional cardboard cutout evil for the most part. Loki is the only one that springs to mind that has any depth.

They could have done so much better with quite a few of their villains but they've found a formula that sells and they won't move away from that - despite it being a detriment to their movies imo. They've also given themselves so many hero characters to shoehorn in wherever possible that there's not enough screentime to give their bad guys any development.

Don't get me wrong I've enjoyed every MCU movie they've put out - the simple formula make them easy to enjoy (particularly for someone who enjoys comic book based stuff but never read them enough to get clingy and nerdy). They're all pretty interchangeable and forgettable though because of the [insert generic villain here] aspect.

DC have handled their movie villains better imo. For me they grasp that the bad guys are (and need to be shown to be) pivotal to the quality of the product. An interesting villain enhances the hero.

I am steaming drunk so hope this makes sense.

Marvel have been terrible with their villains for the most part. One dimensional cardboard cutout evil for the most part. Loki is the only one that springs to mind that has any depth.

They could have done so much better with quite a few of their villains but they've found a formula that sells and they won't move away from that - despite it being a detriment to their movies imo. They've also given themselves so many hero characters to shoehorn in wherever possible that there's not enough screentime to give their bad guys any development.

Don't get me wrong I've enjoyed every MCU movie they've put out - the simple formula make them easy to enjoy (particularly for someone who enjoys comic book based stuff but never read them enough to get clingy and nerdy). They're all pretty interchangeable and forgettable though because of the [insert generic villain here] aspect.

DC have handled their movie villains better imo. For me they grasp that the bad guys are (and need to be shown to be) pivotal to the quality of the product. An interesting villain enhances the hero.

I am steaming drunk so hope this makes sense.

I don't know about that we've only had Man of Steel so far and Zod was as generic as the Marvel villains. Judging by the response by none DC fans not many seems to like Lex or Doomsday so far and no one knows what the villain is in Suicide Squad yet. DC have far better villains then Marvel in the comics but not the films just yet.

You might end up being right, I do agree the Marvel villains haven't great outside out Loki.

I don't know about that we've only had Man of Steel so far and Zod was as generic as the Marvel villains. Judging by the response by none DC fans not many seems to like Lex or Doomsday so far and no one knows what the villain is in Suicide Squad yet. DC have far better villains then Marvel in the comics but not the films just yet.

You might end up being right, I do agree the Marvel villains haven't great outside out Loki.

Whats really sad is that Mandarin looked like he was going to be such a badass in Ironman 3 and the villain Marvel hadnt seen before. Then it just became... a joke. damn.

But agreed with @Welsh Wonder - the formula works for them in terms of making money. I just cant remember any of the villains bar Loki and Ultron.

I know it's not the same but I loved Harrison Wells from the first season of Flash. An intricate, layered villain with charisma and great motif. One of my favorites alongside Joker in Dark Knight and Loki.

Yeah - from what little I remember of last night I think I was counting Ledger's Joker and Neeson's Ra's Al Ghul. They're not part of the DCU (DCCU?) so don't really count. Blaming the booze for that one.
I know it's not the same but I loved Harrison Wells from the first season of Flash. An intricate, layered villain with charisma and great motif. One of my favorites alongside Joker in Dark Knight and Loki.
Yes.

I actually liked Michael Shannon's Zod a lot. And honestly, I think the MCU villains get a bad rap. None of them have been as good as the great villains of comic book film history (Joker, Doc Ock, Stamp's Zod, etc), but overall there have been a few that I like. Red Skull, Loki, Winter Soldier, and Ultron all ranged from decent to really good. Some have been terrible though; the Thor 2 and Guardians Of The Galaxy baddies come to mind.

I actually liked Michael Shannon's Zod a lot. And honestly, I think the MCU villains get a bad rap. None of them have been as good as the great villains of comic book film history (Joker, Doc Ock, Stamp's Zod, etc), but overall there have been a few that I like. Red Skull, Loki, Winter Soldier, and Ultron all ranged from decent to really good. Some have been terrible though; the Thor 2 and Guardians Of The Galaxy baddies come to mind.

Mixed bag for sure.

I don't really know the comics very well, but I do know Batmans Villains and they seem to be much more imaginative with far more character. I'd have Heaths Joker as one of the best Villains in any film if i'm honest.

What's Marvel done wrong casting wise? Other than maybe Don Cheadle as Terrence Howard's replacement.
Nothing. I just prefer DC's. Marvel are underusing their best actors too (Benicio Del Toro and Josh Brolin).

Mixed bag for sure.

I don't really know the comics very well, but I do know Batmans Villains and they seem to be much more imaginative with far more character. I'd have Heaths Joker as one of the best Villains in any film if i'm honest.

Of all the comic book heroes, Batman has the best rogues gallery. Spider-Man's baddies come close too. But yeah, most heroes have one or two good villains, then the rest are mostly shite.